Immigration Just Called My Wife To Ask If My Neighbours Could Go To Their Office

So, I applied at CM immi for 12 month extension based on marriage. It took about 90 minutes for her to go through all the paperwork, and ensure everything was just right.

I got the 30 day stamp (Due to go back on May 3rd) for Under Consideration.

The immi office just called my wife and asked if she could get one or more of my neighbours to go to the immi office to be interviewed. My wife explained that the neighbours are all thai and work full time so this would be difficult to arrange, and could they not send an officer out to talk to them? She offered her help for anything they might need, and then they said they would work it out and hung up.

Is this the norm?

A friend of mine had his first Marriage Extension at CM immi in December, and he had his 30 days under consideration extended by a further 30 days (60 days total) as they hadn't done all they needed in time. Is this normal?

I must say, this is quite a stressful process! :)

I should add that my wife mentioned that they were very nice on the phone, but got the impression they were very busy.

I wish we could arrange for the neighbours to visit the immi office for interview, but unfortunately, they work all day (ones a Nurse, the others a teacher I believe). If they didn't work all day, I would feel a bit embarrassed asking them to accompany us to the immigration office, as its not really in their interest really.

This all just adds to the stress. I should learn to relax more I guess. As Im a first timer with the extension, I have put a lot of effort into ensuring all paperwork etc is ok, and ensured I was prepared for everything. But this I didn't expect.

In my previous application for my marriage visa, I had to take a neighbour with me to the interview. Luckily my neighbour is my wifes best friend but what I did take offence to was the questions that they asked about our relationship. Did we argue ? How loud and how often? Did I go drinking at night? Was I a gambler or a womaniser?. Thankfully I am none of the above and my neighbour was happy to confirm this but still to hear my wife and I being discussed like this was quite unpleasant.

JAF

I'm sure when the neighbours get interviewed it will be fine. We have been married nearly 2 years already, and have lived here all that time with our pets too.

I'm just worried as the neighbours work making their request difficult. It's sounds as if they understood, so I assume they will just come visit.

I'm not complaining about the time taken at all. But it is stressful. The pictures we supplied were fine, and the neighbours are lovely people. Again, it is stressful for the first timers like me :-)

I agree, it is stressful for first timers....and second timers, third timers et al. I don't enjoy the experience at all but the end justifies the means.

Was this interview done at the point of application or within the considerations period? Just interested in how thisall works.

Thanks

In my previous application for my marriage visa, I had to take a neighbour with me to the interview. Luckily my neighbour is my wifes best friend but what I did take offence to was the questions that they asked about our relationship. Did we argue ? How loud and how often? Did I go drinking at night? Was I a gambler or a womaniser?. Thankfully I am none of the above and my neighbour was happy to confirm this but still to hear my wife and I being discussed like this was quite unpleasant.

JAF

Was this interview done at the point of application or within the considerations period? Just interested in how thisall works.

Thanks

JAF

When I went to make my original application many years ago it was only my wife and I who went to the office. They gave me a 30 day stamp and told me to return on that date. About a week before that date, they rang my wife and asked if we could bring a neighbour along with us for an interview, which we did. They proceeded to interview her in front of us for 15 minutes and my neighbour made it all seem very amicable at the time but afterwards she said she thought it was impolite of them to enquire about my personal life in such detail.

I had nothing to hide and I received my visa which I have until recently renewed yearly. In the subsequent applications I made, the intrusions where far less than before and only proof of funds in the bank of 400,000 was needed.

Sadly, I allowed my funds to dip at just the wrong time for re application this year and now have to restart the whole process again. So please be so kind to update us on your application which I am sure will be successful if not a little stressful at time

Good luck

JAF

Thanks so much for your reply. I will of course keep you all updated. I too have nothing to hide, but I didn't like not being able to comply fully with this request, so I'm panicky about if they can sort it out, or if I should try and get a neighbour to take the day off one day soon for an interview.

Thanks so much for your reply. I will of course keep you all updated. I too have nothing to hide, but I didn't like not being able to comply fully with this request, so I'm panicky about if they can sort it out, or if I should try and get a neighbour to take the day off one day soon for an interview.

If it is really necessary for your neighbour to attend the office, why not try to arrange an interview in her lunch hour as it only takes 15 minutes. Or maybe try ringing immigration and offering them her telephone number which they may accept to speak to her at her convenience.

Try not to worry, everything seems perfectly normal so far

JAF

JAF

All those details are highly important for the "Thai gossip quota" a requirement we must all go through on a daily basis it seems cool.gif

Thanks

JAF

When I went to make my original application many years ago it was only my wife and I who went to the office. They gave me a 30 day stamp and told me to return on that date. About a week before that date, they rang my wife and asked if we could bring a neighbour along with us for an interview, which we did. They proceeded to interview her in front of us for 15 minutes and my neighbour made it all seem very amicable at the time but afterwards she said she thought it was impolite of them to enquire about my personal life in such detail.

I had nothing to hide and I received my visa which I have until recently renewed yearly. In the subsequent applications I made, the intrusions where far less than before and only proof of funds in the bank of 400,000 was needed.

Sadly, I allowed my funds to dip at just the wrong time for re application this year and now have to restart the whole process again. So please be so kind to update us on your application which I am sure will be successful if not a little stressful at time

Good luck

JAF

After reading this post i wondered about the two methods allowed for proof of funds when making an application for extension of stay.

The 400,000bt in the bank method:

Once the application is made and accepted, can the 400,000bt be used over the year until the

3 months before the following year application?

Don't they want to see it in the bank everytime you make a 90 day report ?

The 40,000bt per month method:

What is the way to conduct this method for application to satisfy immigration ?

And is this method still applicable under the same principle for application due to marriage?

I ask this as im soon to make my first application and prefer to use the 40,000bt per month method if

i can.

Is it just a case of showing bank statements from my country of origin showing the equivalent of 40,000bt

credited on a monthly basis?

Thanks in advance for any info on this as im new to all this process.

you have got 365 days this year and two of them you devote to immigration.

did you have that that obligatory bedroom picture taken with the missus?

Hope you have nice neighbors.

Wow, is that necessary ??

Some real creeps on here

ph

The requirement is two month prior to application each year - there is not a requirement for money at 90 day address report time.

For 40k outside Thailand you must obtain letter from your Embassy of this amount to present to Immigration and in unlikely event asked have some form of paperwork proof.

The requirement is two month prior to application each year - there is not a requirement for money at 90 day address report time.

For 40k outside Thailand you must obtain letter from your Embassy of this amount to present to Immigration and in unlikely event asked have some form of paperwork proof.

Thanks lopburi3 for that info, just to clarify,

For the 40,000bt per month method, would i just need previous monthly bank statements as proof to the embassy for them to issue this letter?

Sorry for asking so many questions but im trying to cover all my bases before i travel to my embassy.

For the 40,000bt per month method, would i just need previous monthly bank statements as proof to the embassy for them to issue this letter?

Sorry for asking so many questions but im trying to cover all my bases before i travel to my embassy.

That would be up to your Embassy. They are all different . You will have to ask them.

EDIT.

I think you are British.

Details used to be on their site but do not seem to be there any more.

Very helpful. :(

Looks like they moved it. Here

Letter confirming pension/income for Thai Immigration

Consular Section is able to issue a standard letter addressed to Thai Immigration confirming your pension / income in order to support the renewal / extension of your retirement visa. The granting of the visa is at the sole discretion of the Thai Immigration authorities not the British Embassy.

As long as you are registered with us, please feel free to request the letter and supply us the following documentation:-

Photo copy of your current British passport

Original evidence of your current pension/income

Your local address to be typed on the letter

Please ensure the pension/income evidence you provide is in a form that is simple and easy to understand and contains the key financial amounts that are required for inclusion in the letter.

The standard letter fee is currently Baht 2,315 and payable in cash or a postal order. The letter will be ready for collection in person or sent to you by express mail with an additional postage Baht 100.

Wow. Puts me off getting married entirely. The notion that a stranger has to take time out of their day to go all the way to CWT and that dubious and sundry questions are tossed at your wife which are nothing short of insulting.

How inefficient, even petulant

How high can you jump?

As high as need be evidently sir.

Makes me take a very hard look at marriage - this post is really last straw.

Western nations should really petition the Thai government. This is totally out of control -and people stand for it. Strangers presence requested at some bs hearing on your "behalf" for the "privilege" of supporting your wife (and kids).

I guess I will wait and see if they call again, or visit.  Thanks for the input folks, I'll keep you posted. :-)

Hi MM (OP). Please relax!!

I know how stressful this can be but

a) these are standard procedures

B) the questions asked of you and neighbours (good advice from other posters here)HAVE to be asked and they are standard questions applicable in all such circumstances

c) CM Immigration is grossly overworked and I am not surpised they can't send someone out to chat to neighbours. The idea of offering a work phone number for a neighbour who can i/d themselves is a good compromise.

d) do NOT worry, and neither you nor your neighbours should take this personally.

A former colleague of mine from the US had this happen to him and his Thai wife about 2 years ago. The men from Immigration apparently knocked on the doors of two neighbours mid day while the couple in question were both out working (at CMU).

The guy said to me afterwards "By my standards that was really sneaky, but they were only doing their job. Happily they talked to the really great old couple next door. The idiots across the road with the uncontrolled noisy dogs just happened to be out!!"

I am sure you have ZERO to worry about, as your posts consistently show you to be a most reasonable and welcome expat.

Wow. Puts me off getting married entirely. The notion that a stranger has to take time out of their day to go all the way to CWT and that dubious and sundry questions are tossed at your wife which are nothing short of insulting.

How inefficient, even petulant

How high can you jump?

As high as need be evidently sir.

Makes me take a very hard look at marriage - this post is really last straw.

Western nations should really petition the Thai government. This is totally out of control -and people stand for it. Strangers presence requested at some bs hearing on your "behalf" for the "privilege" of supporting your wife (and kids).

If it makes you feel any better, most Western countries have much, much, more stringent investigation processes than Thailand does when it comes to confirming the authenticity of claimed marriages.