Visa On Arrival With One Way Flight

max005

Hi, i booked a ticked from Canada to bangkok one way. I would like to spend 1 week in Thailand before visiting the rest of SEA.

I planned to buy a ticket from AirAsia to Cambodia departing 1 week after my arrival in Thailand.

I would like to know if i will have any problem with my airline if i show them proof of a flight out of Thailand but i wont have flight ticket back to Canada.

Im leaving this week and i dont have time to apply for a visa here in Canada soo im expecting to get a Visa on arrival.

I guess if i show them my ticket leaving to Cambodia, my airline will let me board in.

I would like to hear about people who did similar thing, thank you

I can't tell you how many times I have flown into Thailand with Air Asia and most of the time it was a one-way. I have never been asked to show proof of an outbound ticket - ever! No airline should have the right to demand that you have a flight back to Canada as you are not required to return back there ever again. Remember that there are millions of expats living all over the world who never return back to their home countries.

^^

Hehe, im not an expat, just a young guys who want to spend 3-4 month in SEA

I just booked a flight from bangkok to cambodia. If my airline bitch about the fact that i have no ticket back to Canada, ill be very mad

max005, your airline has no right whatsoever to demand that you have a ticket back to Canada! Millions of backpackers do the same as you are doing every year. You biggest concern should be the rude and nasty 'service' you'll likely get from Air Asia. And don't buy their insurance. It's a scam!

Hello. When I arrived in Bangkok, last year from the U.S. I walked up to the man at Immigration area, presented my passport and one way ticket from SFO to BKK. He stamped my passport and I walked away from the area. No questions asked. I guess it depends if the Immigration officer is in a good mood or a bad mood.

max005, your airline has no right whatsoever to demand that you have a ticket back to Canada! Millions of backpackers do the same as you are doing every year. You biggest concern should be the rude and nasty 'service' you'll likely get from Air Asia. And don't buy their insurance. It's a scam!

Agreed.

They DO however have the right to see a flight out to somewhere within 30 days if no visa is available, this is because if they carry a passenger who is then denied entry they are liable to a fine and must return said passenger to his origin. Thai immigration rules require a flight out within 30 days, the IATA rules that the airline check-in staff have access to state the same, onward flight within 30 days required if no visa.

The above does not necessarily mean you WILL be denied boarding just that you MAY be denied boarding, entirely up to you if you choose not to get an onward ticket.

You are highly unlikely to be asked by BKK immigration for an onward ticket.

Hello. When I arrived in Bangkok, last year from the U.S. I walked up to the man at Immigration area, presented my passport and one way ticket from SFO to BKK. He stamped my passport and I walked away from the area. No questions asked. I guess it depends if the Immigration officer is in a good mood or a bad mood.

No, what you experienced is the norm. I've been in countless numbers of immigration lines and never seen one single sole ever asked for an outbound ticket. They are mostly swamped with tourists and they just want to get people through the line smoothly. Thais are relaxed easy going people for the most part, not like the anal retentive Chinese in China who have a power trip just because they have a job dealing with the public.

Agreed.

They DO however have the right to see a flight out to somewhere within 30 days if no visa is available, this is because if they carry a passenger who is then denied entry they are liable to a fine and must return said passenger to his origin. Thai immigration rules require a flight out within 30 days, the IATA rules that the airline check-in staff have access to state the same, onward flight within 30 days required if no visa.

The above does not necessarily mean you WILL be denied boarding just that you MAY be denied boarding, entirely up to you if you choose not to get an onward ticket.

Right, but I think you can also show a train or bus ticket out of Thailand and those are cheap going to Cambodia. Don't know how you could show it at the airport though as you normally have to be there in-person to purchase them. Is it possible to buy train ticket online now from Hua Lumpong? I wonder.

Agreed.

Right, but I think you can also show a train or bus ticket out of Thailand and those are cheap going to Cambodia. Don't know how you could show it at the airport though as you normally have to be there in-person to purchase them. Is it possible to buy train ticket online now from Hua Lumpong? I wonder.

The official requirement is for an AIR ticket out, it's up to the airline what they require to let you board, some will let you sign a disclaimer stating that any repatriation fees are your responsibility should you be denied entry.

The official requirement is for an AIR ticket out, it's up to the airline what they require to let you board, some will let you sign a disclaimer stating that any repatriation fees are your responsibility should you be denied entry.

Is it the FAA that makes up these official requirements? I take about a half-a-dozen to a dozen flights a years in and out of Thailand and most of them have been one-way tickets to various different destinations as well as returns back to Thailand. No airline has ever asked me for a ticket back to my home country. The biggest trouble I have had is getting back into my own country because they now demand to see two sets of identification. They do not just accept the passport like every other country I have ever been to.

In Canada when you check in airlines use a service called TIMATIC, they will enter your passport type CA and it will show you are permitted to stay in Thailand 30 days, Air Canada and others will ask to see your ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days, just show them your e-ticket and you will be fine no worries at all.