Drinking Water Delivery Services

wynzlo

For about a month now I've been using a water delivery service for drinking water. The water comes in glass bottles and tastes pretty good, but it's getting a little expensive. I'm getting 36L per week, which is costing 160B - not really expensive considering the convenience, but I have a feeling it's costing much more than other services.

There was one recent thread about Glacier which has some useful information. I'm wondering if we can gather some feedback on other companies too.

I'm guessing a lot of members here use water delivery services. Could you post which one you currently use and what you get from them? Preference for glass or plastic?

What I'm using now:

Dew Drop

40B/case, 1 case = 12 x 750ml glass bottles

deposit: 200B/case

Getting 4 cases delivered each week, costing 160B total. Water tastes fine. The bottles are a litte banged up, but look and smell clean inside.

Yes, water may be a dull topic, but it's certainly an important one. :)

For a number of years and up and until three months ago I used to get delivery of two crates of 20 X 1 liter bottles water in plastic bottles for around 30 baht a crate.

But the water and bottles started to give off an odour and I am never sure where the water was bottled. But at the time it suited my purposes, rather than carry home the same quantity of water from supermarkets.

But I have changed to a reverse osmosis water purifying system which I purchased from Homepro. The water is much purer and sweeter. I appreciate the the initial cost of the system may appear high at the outset....12900 baht reduced to 8200 baht when I purchased it.

But I am here for the long haul and am willing to pay for the better quality of water.

I use Dew Drop.. A mix of glass and plastic bottles. Its so-so, we're moving to using it mostly for cooking, with drinking water coming from the bigger clear plastic bottles that can be purchased at Makro and Big C and the like. I do believe Nestle have delivery as well, that would be worth looking into for drinking water.

I use Glacier 20 litre plastic bottle for 20 baht.

I just call them on their mobile and usually they come that same day

or the day after.

The building management deal with another company but another

farang in the building admitted that brand ( can't remember the name )

had a rather strange taste and I had already heard about the virtues of Glacier :D

I keep thinking how can they afford to do it for this price ?i.e. including delivery.

But then i read in another thread that the diesel fuel subsidy fund in Thailand

has almost run out of money so i would expect price hikes in diesel and therefore the water

after the election. But it is still good value i think.

Edited by midas

Polestar deliver 20 litre bottles to our place in Banwangtan,every Saturday morning for 20 baht.Reverse Osmosis. We bought a discounted,refrigerated water cooler from Makro which we only turn on in the hot months. Water is fine ,no smell at all and can't argue with the price, or the service.053 805 885.

I am sure Glacier is the best drinking water supplier,been a customer

for over 18 years ,never had a bad bottle of water,I buy the glass 24x500ml

crates 52baht ,deliver twice per week, very reliable,

Drinking water not somthing that you should economize on ,in my opinion

Worgeordie

We use 315 Water from the Sansai area. Have done for 5 or 6 years. The water in the 24x500ml glass bottle crates tastes and smells good, 45B. The water in the 20l water cooler plastic bottles sometimes smells and tastes of chemicals a little. I think it is something they use to clean these bottles. 20B delivered.

Edited by whimsy

City Life did an article on water quality a few years ago and had this to say about getting water tested.

take a sample to test yourself. Jaroon's advice was to buy an 800 baht kit to test water for bacteria which can be purchased at the Chiang Mai Health Centre on Suthep Road. If you really want to do the full test you will need to take a sample of your water to the Regional Medical Sciences Centre which is a large building about 1km after 700 Year Stadium on the same side. The test here is much cheaper than the do-it-yourself alternative.

If you get some water tested I would be interested to hear about the results and costs.

Hello K. Wynzlo,

Have you considered the use of a water-filter, as suggested above? There is no hassle about swapping cases of bottles, no wondering about the filtration quality and hygiene of the plant and no green-house gases from transporting water which is already in your place.

It does not have to be a super-dooper Rolls-Royce type (with a high price tag) filter.

I have been using one for 2 years which I bought at Big-C for about 1,000 THB.

It has 3 standard size filters: ceramic, resin and carbon.

The unit can be conveniently attached to standard kitchen tap threads. It can just sit on the kitchen top. I installed mine under the sink (via some expensive little taps) to take water from the main pipe, filter it and deliver it to a tap on the sink.

For a year, I lived in a place where the water supply was from bore-water. I had to clean the carbon filter with a stiff tooth-brush monthly to remove the red/brown clay-like substance.

The filtered water had no smell or unpleasant taste.

Since the second year, I am living where city-water is supplied. Again, there is no odour or bad taste of the filtered water. There is also no build up of the red/brown muck.

Depending on usage, the carbon and resin filters should probably be replaced annually. Ceramic filters can last longer, but if water flow has slowed down a lot, then probably replace that too.

I use the filtered water for making coffee/tea, water for soups, making ice and of course drinking.

I hope this helped and good luck!

I am sure Glacier is the best drinking water supplier,been a customer

for over 18 years ,never had a bad bottle of water,I buy the glass 24x500ml

crates 52baht ,deliver twice per week, very reliable,

Drinking water not somthing that you should economize on ,in my opinion

Worgeordie

Let's be sensible about this .Unless we had tested every delivery we don't know whether its good,which it probably is,bad or indifferent. We hope that the proper precautions are taken and price may have no bearing on quality.It might even be that its bottled at the same plant???? does anyone know the source for each company ???? Nasties that get into the water supply can make you very sick,for a long time. Anyway the OP has a variety of choices now which is why he asked the question.