Gasohol 95 To Gasohol 91

I find that my Toyota doesn't like the Gasohol 91 from PTT but is OK with e.g., Shell

What does the instruction manual say?

Was told to feed it 95 octane. but that is out of the question.

Just wanted to know if to expect something drastic. The car got slower when I switched from 95 to gasohol 95.

I find that my Toyota doesn't like the Gasohol 91 from PTT but is OK with e.g., Shell

Just wanted to know if to expect something drastic. The car got slower when I switched from 95 to gasohol 95.

if your car requiers 95 octane, 91 will make engine "ping" and repairs will follow. Nothing to do with the 10% Ethanol in Gasohol 91/95, only to do with octane tuning of engine

What it states in the handbook/drivers manual is what's best for the engine. Seeking extra performance / more economical motoring is a different matter but short term gain can result in long term loss financially.

Since I came here I have had 2 cars under a lease contract. The first a Ford Escape 3.0L V6 (benzine) and now I have a Fortuner (diesel). Neither has run happily on fuel from; Grean Leaf, PTT or Shell so you may be experiencing a similar effect.. Both cars have run better on fuel from; Caltex and Esso. Most fuel comes from the same supplier/refinery but the additives can change. Stay with what it says in the handbook and find the supplier which you / your engine is most happy with

Nothing wrong with PPT 91 gasohol in Sukhothai my wifes Toyota runs well and averages 15 - 17 to the litre, as on a resent thread she has been told to put 91 red in now and again, and as l said before can't see the reason for that. :)

Never got an answer on that anyway.

Asked mechanic in England and he said the car will be fine on 91 gasohol E10 or 91 oct petrol as said many times on here before by more informed people than myself cars have been manufactured with fuel parts that cope with certain additives.

Edited by Kwasaki

What it states in the handbook/drivers manual is what's best for the engine. Seeking extra performance / more economical motoring is a different matter but short term gain can result in long term loss financially.

Since I came here I have had 2 cars under a lease contract. The first a Ford Escape 3.0L V6 (benzine) and now I have a Fortuner (diesel). Neither has run happily on fuel from; Grean Leaf, PTT or Shell so you may be experiencing a similar effect.. Both cars have run better on fuel from; Caltex and Esso. Most fuel comes from the same supplier/refinery but the additives can change. Stay with what it says in the handbook and find the supplier which you / your engine is most happy with

I use Ptt and Shell only, and have never during my 450.000km in Thailand had any fuel related problem with my cars, trucks or bikes. None of them have yet done more than 100.000km tho B)

I use Ptt and Shell only, and have never during my 450.000km in Thailand had any fuel related problem with my cars, trucks or bikes. None of them have yet done more than 100.000km tho B)

100,000 km is not a lot really only just over 62,000 UK miles that's nothing.

My Mrs cousin a 3.0 Nissan Frontier 203,000 km no problems.

I like to remember in the UK a Honda Fireblade used by bike courier over 100,000 miles (161,000km) no problems and still going.

Vauxual Cavalier 2.0 ltr auto 247,000 miles one of my early company cars, no problems apart from shaving the cylinder head and new head gasket.

Edited by Kwasaki

100,000 km is not a lot really only just over 62,000 UK miles that's nothing.

My Mrs cousin a 3.0 Nissan Frontier 203,000 km no problems.

I like to remember in the UK a Honda Fireblade used by bike courier over 100,000 miles (161,000km) no problems and still going.

Vauxual Cavalier 2.0 ltr auto 247,000 miles one of my early company cars, no problems apart from shaving the cylinder head and new head gasket.

agreed

100k km is nothing, 2 sets of brake pads, one set of tyres, and oil and fluids according to service schedule.

but fuel related issues often occure much earlier

agreed

100k km is nothing, 2 sets of brake pads, one set of tyres, and oil and fluids according to service schedule.

So what is you take on these rather annoying comments from people on my wifes 2008 1.5 Yaris.

On a resent thread I mentioned my wife is always being told to put 91 red in now and again, not to use Gasohol 91 all the time and as l said before can't see the reason for that. :)

agreed

So what is you take on these rather annoying comments from people on my wifes 2008 1.5 Yaris.

On a resent thread I mentioned my wife is always being told to put 91 red in now and again, not to use Gasohol 91 all the time and as l said before can't see the reason for that. :)

as long as Gasohol is E10 (max 10% Ethanol) I see no reason to use 91 red petrol. Gasohol E20 is appoved on 2008 yaris in Thailand, but it is very aggressive, so to be avoided

as long as Gasohol is E10 (max 10% Ethanol) I see no reason to use 91 red petrol. Gasohol E20 is appoved on 2008 yaris in Thailand, but it is very aggressive, so to be avoided

Thanks kbb for the record it's done 37,000 km and it has gone well on 91 gasohol and we use it all the time, 91 red is used if 91 gas is not available and there is no notifiable difference.

The Ford pinged when pulling away slowly with fuel from the 3 suppliers I mentioned. At faster accelerations it was better. With fuel from the other 2 this didn't occur. Had the car checked out several times with no problem found. In the end I just used fuel that didn't make it ping. Suppliers use their own additives to the cracked gasoline before it gets to the pumps we use. So all fuel at the pumps is not exactly the same. I found that fuel from those 2 suppliers was better suited to the Ford V6.It doesn't mean that the other fuel wasn't so good for other engines. If all fuel (with additives) is not the same and all engines are not the same then there will be varying degrees compatibility but none will be outside the design definition of the product. Most likely the EPU settings of the Ford caused the V6 to be less compatible with some supplied fuels, This may have been because it wasn't optimized for any particular fuel and was a compromised solution to enable use of E20. The cars gone now so it doesn't really matter any more. The experience did set my preference for fuel suppliers in Thailand though.

Having said all that the one and only time I used a Shell station since was recently when on holiday in Phuket. I filled up the Fortuner at a gas station just before the Chalong roundabout on the road out from Karon/Kata. After about 1km the engine became very noisy compared to what it was before. When I fuel the car I always check that the correct nozzle is used so I don't get B5 so I know the correct nozzle was used. I repeatedly topped up the tank when I could get 10l or so in and after a while the engine noise subsided, That fuel was PTT by the way. Eventually the engine noise reverted back to it's usual level. I don't know what happened or why but I've never used Shell nor had the same problem since in more than 30km. I will never ever use Shell again.