Foodland Soi 5

Hans Brix

It was my favorite store but now shut for 4 months. Where will you go?

1. Tops

2. Villa Soi 11

3. Foodland Soi 16

4. Foodland Thong Lor

5. Other, please name

I think I will go to the Soi 16 Foodland, seconded by Villa Soi 11

I've always preferred Villa or Tops unless it's after midnight. Tops depends on the location though, some are as good as Villa (Silom under the department store for instance) and others are awful. The Emporium is great too. Really only use Foodland because it's open 24/7

Foodland Soi 5 could be very interesting for people watching though. Not many supermarkets in the world where you could see a woman wearing a full Burhka holding hands with a Russian prostitute wearing hot pants and a halter top

There is no Foodland in Thonglor. That is Villa as well. You will survive. Try the Emporium some time. It's great.

There will be a Foodland on Thong Lor. There is a sign outside the "EIGHT " building, stating, opening soon.

There is no Foodland in Thonglor. That is Villa as well. You will survive. Try the Emporium some time. It's great.

There will be a Foodland on Thong Lor. There is a sign outside the "EIGHT " building, stating, opening soon.

Isn't there a Foodland on Petchabury Rd. near the Thong Lo intersection?

Are they rehabbing the building on Suk. at soi-5 that connects to Foodland or tearing it down?

Alas, it's gonna be along time till it'll reopen again am sure, we are having a big problem finding pita bread and certain kinds of cheese which are only available in Foodland Sukumvit soi 5

btw

-There is a Foodland right on the beginning of Ramkhamheang road, if you are coming from Rama 9 road, it has most of the items that being offered in Suk5

- There is another big Foodland branch on Lad Praw road, which I like the most cause it is very spacious and not crowded most of the times.

What is the Soi 16 Foodland like? Same offerings as the Soi 5 branch; specifically the deli counter?

Re: the Soi 5 location I've heard several 2nd hand rumors: closed for 3 months opening again in August, closed for 6 months opening again in November, closed for good, looking for a new location nearby.

The new Foodland has opened on Thong Lor.

Looks like it is under the "Eight" building. Didn't have time to go in today. Hopefully tomorrow.

I spoke to one of the market traders near soi 5, who told me the whole building has been bought for a possible new development.

That's possibly why the Book shop, and a few other shops on Sukhumvit have closed down.

Might just be more rumors.

The Villa market on Suk Soi 11 stocks both the small and full size pita breads that were sold at Foodland Soi 5...

Foodland there had two different brands in each variety. Villa has one of those two brands, in both small and full size.

Alas, it's gonna be along time till it'll reopen again am sure, we are having a big problem finding pita bread and certain kinds of cheese which are only available in Foodland Sukumvit soi 5

btw

I'd say the two locations are fairly comparable in terms of product availability -- though they're not identical, and it really depends on the specific thing you happen to be looking for.

The location at Soi 16 is newer and nicer. The Foodland restaurant there is larger with standalone tables. The pricing for identical items, in my experience, is the same.

What is the Soi 16 Foodland like? Same offerings as the Soi 5 branch; specifically the deli counter?

Re: the Soi 5 location I've heard several 2nd hand rumors: closed for 3 months opening again in August, closed for 6 months opening again in November, closed for good, looking for a new location nearby.

I'd say the two locations are fairly comparable in terms of product availability -- though they're not identical, and it really depends on the specific thing you happen to be looking for.

The location at Soi 16 is newer and nicer. The Foodland restaurant there is larger with standalone tables. The pricing for identical items, in my experience, is the same.

I'm sorry to hear of the demise of Foodland soi 5 as it's my favorite supermarket in BKK and has convenient parking...does soi 16 have the same convenient parking arrangement?...as an autistic type who abhors changes to routine I will now haveta navigate a new shelving arrangement to find all of my usual products...bummer...

also the old place has real character...the lunch counter is quite endearing..

(tutsi tearfully wanders the aisles of the unfamiliar supermarket: '...oh, where is the grapefruit juice?...please help...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Tutsi, I don't know that Foodland 5 is gone permanently... Supposedly it's only going to be temporary....for renovation.... But some of the posts above do seem to be raising questions about that...

In the meantime, the Suk Soi 16 location is the ground floor of a big office (and/or condo) high rise building, and I believe they have a parking structure there that's more than sufficient for shoppers.

Tutsi, I don't know that Foodland 5 is gone permanently... Supposedly it's only going to be temporary....for renovation.... But some of the posts above do seem to be raising questions about that...

In the meantime, the Suk Soi 16 location is the ground floor of a big office (and/or condo) high rise building, and I believe they have a parking structure there that's more than sufficient for shoppers.

jfc, dunno...a couple of years ago I used a toilet on an upper level of the soi 5 parking structure and the 'infrastructure' for the building was decrepit; sorta like folks expected the building to be torn down and we all know that the land on soi 5 is more valuable than the low level structure that houses Foodland on soi 5...demolition looks likely to allow for a more lucrative arrangement to replace...

a bit of a drag as when I needed to be in town for business for a couple of days in the soi Nana area (US Embassy, etc) I could cross over to foodland on the pedestrian bridge, buy cheap vodka and grapefruit juice to mix and avoid the high prices at 7-11 that has no grapefruit juice...also when with the family and the BiL driving to do a shop he could approach the place and park easily knowing the one way set up in the area...

are we gonna allow stinkin' property developers to mess with our beloved BKK institutions???!!!...take the struggle to the streets!!!...it's Peoples Park in Berkeley all over again!!!

(falangs marching and chanting with local stall owners facing a phalanx of BKK riot police...tear gas, rubber bullets, etc...tutsi running towards the photojournalist's camera in gas mask and tennis shoes with smoking teargas cannister in hand)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Tutsi, if I chip in to get you a litre of grapefruit juice, will you leave the teargas at home and retire back upcountry peacefully??? :D

mumble...grumble...dare to struggle, dare to win...liberate foodland soi 5...

dont worry, jfc; I'm presently installed on the remotest part of the north central VN coastline...couldn't cause a ruckus in BKK even if I wanted to...:(

I know the two lady managers and they assured me re-opening in November after re-furbishment. They even double-checked and listed my 'phone no. to call me just prior to re-opening. I spend a lot there and they have a very reliable home delivery service.

I know the two lady managers and they assured me re-opening in November after re-furbishment. They even double-checked and listed my 'phone no. to call me just prior to re-opening. I spend a lot there and they have a very reliable home delivery service.

Thairet, can you provide some details of how the Foodland home delivery serves operates...in terms of placing the order, selecting items, delivery fee and/or minimum purchase???

See or call Khun Sukinya at the store (I do not know if she is there part-time during the re-furb, but chances are she'll be at Suk 16 store on 0-2204-2288 most days. Old soi 5 no. was 0-2254-2247).

I fill up my cart and present my name / address / phone no. at check-out. It helps if you phud passa Thai, but not vital. I select the no. of cases of wine / beer etc and they ring in 1 bottle X total bottles (so I do not have to lift the cases). They pack the food delivery into a box there and then. I separate fresh stuff I want to take immediately (like ice-cream / deli meats), but pay the bill in total. By the time I get thro' check-out the box(es) have been sent out back for a delivery with the wine the next morning.

I cannot answer your query on distance covered (I live near the Tobacco Monopoly Soi 4), but the service is free. I have spent as little as B2500, but my average bill is about B6000, roughly twice a month. I cannot confirm a minimum purchase.

I have also been offered, if I wish and pay for, a taxi along with a delivery boy to offload for me at home and he walks back to the store.

If you shop early in the morning, they will deliver that same morning.

Hope this helps :D

Thanks much for the info... I live in about the same radius of the Soi 5 store...

I'll have to check with her the next time I'm by....

I went shopping at the Soi 16 store just the other day, for the first time in a long time, since Soi 5 is more convenient for me, and found one of my regular Soi 5 cashiers there...much to my surprise.

Thairet, can you provide some details of how the Foodland home delivery serves operates...in terms of placing the order, selecting items, delivery fee and/or minimum purchase???

See or call Khun Sukinya at the store (I do not know if she is there part-time during the re-furb, but chances are she'll be at Suk 16 store on 0-2204-2288 most days. Old soi 5 no. was 0-2254-2247).

I fill up my cart and present my name / address / phone no. at check-out. It helps if you phud passa Thai, but not vital. I select the no. of cases of wine / beer etc and they ring in 1 bottle X total bottles (so I do not have to lift the cases). They pack the food delivery into a box there and then. I separate fresh stuff I want to take immediately (like ice-cream / deli meats), but pay the bill in total. By the time I get thro' check-out the box(es) have been sent out back for a delivery with the wine the next morning.

I cannot answer your query on distance covered (I live near the Tobacco Monopoly Soi 4), but the service is free. I have spent as little as B2500, but my average bill is about B6000, roughly twice a month. I cannot confirm a minimum purchase.

I have also been offered, if I wish and pay for, a taxi along with a delivery boy to offload for me at home and he walks back to the store.

If you shop early in the morning, they will deliver that same morning.

Hope this helps :D

• 2 months later...