Phuket Tourist Forced To Pay 180,000 Baht In Jet-Ski Repairs

LivinginKata

No pity for anyone who rides a Jet Ski anymore or anyone who even visits the LOS and has something bad happen. There has been so much negative publicity about the Thailand in general but people continue to come, maybe for the excitement, sex or whatever. I expect to die here one day, hopefully by natural causes but certainly am aware of a host of other things that can go wrong as I see it daily. MY choice though! There are alot nicer places around! Islands off Malaysia, Cambodia (out of Phnom Phen), Laos (dam_n beautiful country!), even Myanmar! Philippines etc.... the only thing that Thailand has to offer more than these places (besides Philippines) is sex! Beaches, outdoors, etc, much nicer in other countries and without the hassles. I was amazed at how nice, friendly and accommodating the Cambodians are. Been there 5 times now for holidays. Genuine smiles too! I cant remember the last time I saw someone smile in Thailand! Oh! Yes I do, it was when Secretary Somchai got the new position overseeing corruption on tourists at the Airport. He is smiling all the way to the bank!:)

Go on then. Jog on.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the shady bit in all of this is the compensation the operator expects. There's risk in everything and he should have insurance to cover incidents like this. The customer should not bear the burden of compensating him for loss of business and the cost of repairs. That's where it's going too far in my opinion.

^^^^^

This

A new chassis is 300,000 baht . Really ? honestly ? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

A months labour to remove an engine and bolt it to a new chassis. I know Thais are slow at doing anything, but that's a days work if that.

What's the bet the original jet ski is repaired down the local glass fibre shop or a old second hand chassis is accquired on the cheap and all that money is pissed up the wall after increasing Changs profits.

Why the hell should a customer pay if the moron hasn't bothered to pay enough for insure ?

Why the hell does anyone go to Phulet anymore ???????? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Edited by arthurwait

Just another example of how Thailand treats it's tourist. It is clear that Thailand has no respect for others, how could they and let this type of thing happen for years. The fact that the Government shows no outrage or intent to stop the stealing for tourist says it all.People are not as stupid as the Thais may think, yes they make a fast buck but cost the country much more in the long run.

Sounds to me like another one who had never ridden a jet ski. Thailand is not the place to jump on one for the first time.

I've seen this with hired motorcycles in Bali and Thailand. If you're not a competent rider at home, why the hell would you hire and (attempt to) ride one where the only rule is "There are no rules"??? Beats me.

The IQ of the average punter is barely into double figures!

I agree... as a biker back home, getting to Thailand and negotiating the roads filled with tourists who're learning to ride a scooter was an interesting experience...

One of them saw me doing donuts on a sandy patch of road (showing off to a mate) and decided to impress his girlfriend.

The bike goes down, his leg gets a nasty scrape, and no doubt a hefty bill for the services of their mechanic.

In saying that, the only major accident I saw there was a young Thai couple on a scooter who got nailed by a Thai car driver... can't blame it all on ignorant naive tourists :P

If anything this is the biggest scam.

The jetski is 3 years old already and has been used every single day. Market value of it no more then 100000-150000 .

He(owner) can buy used jet for 180 000 plus sell the engine from the old one and do all that in less then half a day.

To fix this is beyond madness.

I must also note that I seriously doubt fiberglass is that expansive.

One time I crashed my bike and was quoted 22000 to fix by one shop, while another shop did same repairs for 9000

Fibre glass is as cheap as chips anywhere in the world, but especially in Thailand where most of it is made.

It must be the Thai labour cost bunking the price up. :cheesy:

That wasn't a "normal" jet ski scam, however...

if I was running an honest rental service I'd simply purchase insurance and pass that cost off to the renter. Then put up a big sign that says: Don't Get Scammed!!! Rent An Insured Jet Ski Here! Then make sure you have purchased the insurance that covers major damage, like a collision -- you're passing the cost off to the renter, right?

If I was a tourist as saw a sign that says Don't Get Scammed!!! I'd ask why. Then I'd rent from the guy at a higher price because he's honest and I'm protecting my butt.

If any of these guys are truly above-board this would be a great marketing approach. More lucrative and less of a hassle than scamming! B)

a jet ski Insurance would require a Thai captain lisence to cover, and a sober rider

who is still renting jets skis in Phuket??

Right!!

My thoughts too.

If you don rent one, you wont have a problem.

Patong Police described his injuries as “minor”, however.

A broken leg in LOS is a very serious injury as I had to find out the hard way........:jap:

Just another example of how Thailand treats it's tourist. It is clear that Thailand has no respect for others, how could they and let this type of thing happen for years. The fact that the Government shows no outrage or intent to stop the stealing for tourist says it all.People are not as stupid as the Thais may think, yes they make a fast buck but cost the country much more in the long run.

Excuse me please, but Thailand doesn't treat people bad or good. Some Thais are good, some of them are bad. Especially in tourist areas. Your statement that people are not as stupid as Thais may think is...aeehh a kind of irritating to me.

There are so many weirdos coming to Thailand, doing crazy things. What would you think if you were Thai??? :jap:

the machine didn't keep going at a full speed after they fall off. That would indicate a stuck throttle and they would have discovered it as soon as they get on the machine. So EVEN IF the safety device mulfantioned, the speed of the machine would have dropped significantly after they "fell off". If it kept going at the full speed towards the rocks, it means they were flying towards the rocks like retards and they "fell off" in the last second...

Bullshit, have you ever ridden something that "stuck a throttle", I have and it was my old suzuki Hayate, I drove all the way to work on the particular morning it happened (23km in total) and it was fine up until the last set of traffic lights where I eased off the throttle only to discover it was not slowing down (from 80km/h) I shut it down via the key and then re-started it and it was fine, into work and pulled the cable to find one frayed strand on the inner with some corrosion, was a common thing on the first release Hayate's.new cable was 120b.

BTW a stuck throttle will not over-ride the kill switch (key pulled from dislodged rider) as this kills the power to the coils.no spark equals no go.

Not to mention that if they were cruising at full speed, 45, 50, 60 kmh or more, these things dont stop the second the switch is killed. No brakes on these bad boys. I would guess there was some amount of alcohol in their veins as well and probably saw the rocks coming a little too late after playing with their friends, tried to turn at the last minute bumping the other craft which kept them going straight at that point and in desperation, jumped before crashing. Just plain partying farang stupidity again. It's amazing how the LOS makes so many farang invincible.

if I was running an honest rental service I'd simply purchase insurance and pass that cost off to the renter. Then put up a big sign that says: Don't Get Scammed!!! Rent An Insured Jet Ski Here! Then make sure you have purchased the insurance that covers major damage, like a collision -- you're passing the cost off to the renter, right?

If I was a tourist as saw a sign that says Don't Get Scammed!!! I'd ask why. Then I'd rent from the guy at a higher price because he's honest and I'm protecting my butt.

If any of these guys are truly above-board this would be a great marketing approach. More lucrative and less of a hassle than scamming! B)

All OK connda, but you didn't read my last paragraph which said "The average punter has an IQ barely into double figures." I've seen it all before. If the unit without comprehensive insurance is $X a day and the one with is $X + 5, the punter will go without anytime. That $5 can buy two more beers. A government can do only so much to regulate an industry, even when they have the will, and that probably isn't the case in Thailand. People are just stupid.

Exactly right spoonman. A kill switch kills the engine, stuck throttle or not. That's why it's called a kill switch. Even from 60 Kms/he, killing the engine the ski wouldn't go far. The drag of water is huge. Just stupidity, and probably added alcohol, ending as it inevitably does.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I guess there is no disputing this scratch. Lucky it was not one of JJ's or the bill would have been millions and your 1st born for this scratch. Why don't operators have insurance covering the ski's as well as injuries. (public liability) Is the law in Australia. Anyway looks like the yank has to pay up on this one.

I have no sympathy for them. Why didn't they have travel insurance like most sensible tourists. All policies have public liability coverage. I would not think of traveling without proper travel insurance.

Public Liability wouldn't cover it, whilst Public Liability covers property damage and Personal Injury to third parties , you will find their is an exclusion whilst your in control of a motor vehicle, motor bike , aeroplane or watercraft.

Also you'll find the wording terms like, "you are not to admit any liability" and " we will pay reasonable costs"

Even if the policy didn't have a watercraft exclusion , by admitting liability and paying 180,000 you have prejudiced the insurer who if they dealt with the situation would of had the thing fixed for 10,000 so all they would pay is 10,000

a jet ski Insurance would require a Thai captain lisence to cover, and a sober rider

What insurance company would pay up for any sort of negligence. For sure they are going to look for some way not to pay a claim. I really wonder if these jet skis have any sort of proper insurance as the risk must be impossible to insure, or is it all just lip service.

I wonder if you can get holiday insurance to cover things like this. If you had your own insurance that would cover you when doing things like riding a M/C, jet ski. driving a quad or 4X4 etc. Then the operator would have to negotiate with your insurance company.

Hooo - ding dong!

NEGOTIATE?

The Thai operator negotiating with your holiday insurance company?

Like - letters going backwards and forwards between Thailand and America?

American insurance agents assessing damage to a jetski in Patong?

Certainly sir! Step this way! Farangs from anywhere more than welcome! We accept cheques and negotiable bonds in settlement. :lol:

R

what if the jetski on it wild chase without driver, would have killed some mix of thai and farangs ? who would be liable ?

in thailand : allways the farang, jailtime, millions in fine

stay of the dam_n jetski scams... you would not be able to drive one in your own country without the propper marine licence, so why you think this would be different in this underdevelopped country ????

Nicely said and correct. Of course it would be the richest and of course that is a falang. the thinking in los comes under a whole different rule. If we were in America and Bill gates ran into your car, he would be liable and if you ran into his car your insurance would have to pay no matter who has the most money.

In Thai mind it is the richest who pays when anyone goes to dinner or has a trip. The falang is expected to pay, why?..because "they think" he/she is the richest and this goes for everything in los....Everything is backwards from the tan on your skin to who is more important. It is mind boggling but once this notion is understood then you can see why they do it...You can afford to, and it is just a drop in the bucket for you!! so the best remedy for everyone where no one is hurt more than has to be, will not be....No one takes into consideration the fact that most tourist do save and plan for a vacation to los. Thai's really and truly think you can just jump on a plane and come at the drop of a hat. they have no idea you are not filthy rich. If you don't pay, you are stinky! ....It's the mindset and uneducated society that mostly does this. It isn't an unethical thing to take a little tiny bit from a millionaire.....right?....yes it is if it's wrong as most western people understand, but not in los....This has been the downfall of many a thai falang relationship to where the guys wife thinks he is being stinky because he has all the money he has....which could be anything from 1000us to 50,000us and to them you are rich......no one see;s the bills you have or credit cards you pay or count up what you have already spent on your trip or living arrangments....just the gross is counted....

back to the point. It is Thai culture to just think it is the richest that pays....no matter what the circumstances...yes, it's extortion to be correct but that is how it is....maybe in 20-30 years things could change but as long as falang's are stupid enough to keep paying it will continue....it's life in los.....ones who move and live as we expates do have to have a very thick skin and a very mai pai ren attitude in sincerity to survive in los.....vacationing and living are two totally different things. Vacationing you will come back and say you had a wonderful time and want to come again, providing you have not been burned too bad....liiving in los.....now you will start to see the inside workings of things and the frustrations that are involved with visa's etc. it will drive you up a wall at the total lack of logic of things. Some people will make it if they have the right..hmm...mind set i suppose....but most can only take 6 mo then vacation back home again.....then come again.......full time you will be in a nut house if you have an type A personality and need to understand what is happening all the time with things. I think staying drunk much of the time helps many survive the deception of things....Anyway the reason this happens is deep down they don't like you and resent your ability to have more money and face than them. They don't like you!!!..and also pure greed!.money is worshipped more than buddha in los.....just the way it is.....no one can change it......like it or leave or be very carefull and stick to yourself and away from the seedy area's(where ever those places are) and hunker down......have a sing or chang ...and let it all out......then do it all again....hmm, I think I am rambling on now so.......much peace and happiness to all.!!....but heck ,this is a good ole Budwieser :D...ahhhhhhhhh...well, i need to get back to my book called "under the bleachers".......it's about real life in los....good book and everyone needs to read it...........that "seymore Butts" is one good author!!..........cheers....:D

the machine didn't keep going at a full speed after they fall off. That would indicate a stuck throttle and they would have discovered it as soon as they get on the machine. So EVEN IF the safety device mulfantioned, the speed of the machine would have dropped significantly after they "fell off". If it kept going at the full speed towards the rocks, it means they were flying towards the rocks like retards and they "fell off" in the last second...

Bullshit, have you ever ridden something that "stuck a throttle", I have and it was my old suzuki Hayate, I drove all the way to work on the particular morning it happened (23km in total) and it was fine up until the last set of traffic lights where I eased off the throttle only to discover it was not slowing down (from 80km/h) I shut it down via the key and then re-started it and it was fine, into work and pulled the cable to find one frayed strand on the inner with some corrosion, was a common thing on the first release Hayate's.new cable was 120b.

BTW a stuck throttle will not over-ride the kill switch (key pulled from dislodged rider) as this kills the power to the coils.no spark equals no go.

Hi

With all due respect, you have already admitted that the Suzuki Hayatte was an old bike, I have ridden bikes of all sizes for 30 years and am pretty much an expert on a Jet Ski and Jet bike. I have never had a sticking throttle on new or old bikes because I maintain them well, I have never had a sticking throttle on a Jet Ski or Jet Bike as they are reletively new, I know professionals who ride and do all sorts of tricks on Jet Ski's they have never had a safety malfunction.

The Jet Bike in the picture is no more than 3 years old, I very much doubt the throttle stuck, if you fall off the bike the key will come out stopping the engine which will stop the craft within 2/3 metres due to drag, it will slow dramatically. I suggest the people riding the bike were holiday makers where ambition out-wieghed their skill.

Rule Number 1, You do not go anywhere near solid objects (rocks or boats), swimmers or other Jet Bikes. :angry:

A Jet Ski is one you stand up on.

I suggest these holiday makers take it on the chin and move on. :jap:

Edited by alina

I think Thai's who have true western friends treat them as equals, but many Thai's think that they should take advantage of westerns if given the opportunity. Happens to me all the time here.

My Thai wife found a house to rent for 10,000 baht, until the land lord found out i was western, and then she asked for 12,500 baht.

I bet you the owner was happy when he found out a tourist wrecked his jet ski, sort of like winning the lottery.

what if the jetski on it wild chase without driver, would have killed some mix of thai and farangs ? who would be liable ?

in thailand : allways the farang, jailtime, millions in fine

stay of the dam_n jetski scams... you would not be able to drive one in your own country without the propper marine licence, so why you think this would be different in this underdevelopped country ????

Nicely said and correct. Of course it would be the richest and of course that is a falang. the thinking in los comes under a whole different rule. If we were in America and Bill gates ran into your car, he would be liable and if you ran into his car your insurance would have to pay no matter who has the most money.

In Thai mind it is the richest who pays when anyone goes to dinner or has a trip. The falang is expected to pay, why?..because "they think" he/she is the richest and this goes for everything in los....Everything is backwards from the tan on your skin to who is more important. It is mind boggling but once this notion is understood then you can see why they do it...You can afford to, and it is just a drop in the bucket for you!! so the best remedy for everyone where no one is hurt more than has to be, will not be....No one takes into consideration the fact that most tourist do save and plan for a vacation to los. Thai's really and truly think you can just jump on a plane and come at the drop of a hat. they have no idea you are not filthy rich. If you don't pay, you are stinky! ....It's the mindset and uneducated society that mostly does this. It isn't an unethical thing to take a little tiny bit from a millionaire.....right?....yes it is if it's wrong as most western people understand, but not in los....This has been the downfall of many a thai falang relationship to where the guys wife thinks he is being stinky because he has all the money he has....which could be anything from 1000us to 50,000us and to them you are rich......no one see;s the bills you have or credit cards you pay or count up what you have already spent on your trip or living arrangments....just the gross is counted....

back to the point. It is Thai culture to just think it is the richest that pays....no matter what the circumstances...yes, it's extortion to be correct but that is how it is....maybe in 20-30 years things could change but as long as falang's are stupid enough to keep paying it will continue....it's life in los.....ones who move and live as we expates do have to have a very thick skin and a very mai pai ren attitude in sincerity to survive in los.....vacationing and living are two totally different things. Vacationing you will come back and say you had a wonderful time and want to come again, providing you have not been burned too bad....liiving in los.....now you will start to see the inside workings of things and the frustrations that are involved with visa's etc. it will drive you up a wall at the total lack of logic of things. Some people will make it if they have the right..hmm...mind set i suppose....but most can only take 6 mo then vacation back home again.....then come again.......full time you will be in a nut house if you have an type A personality and need to understand what is happening all the time with things. I think staying drunk much of the time helps many survive the deception of things....Anyway the reason this happens is deep down they don't like you and resent your ability to have more money and face than them. They don't like you!!!..and also pure greed!.money is worshipped more than buddha in los.....just the way it is.....no one can change it......like it or leave or be very carefull and stick to yourself and away from the seedy area's(where ever those places are) and hunker down......have a sing or chang ...and let it all out......then do it all again....hmm, I think I am rambling on now so.......much peace and happiness to all.!!....but heck ,this is a good ole Budwieser :D...ahhhhhhhhh...well, i need to get back to my book called "under the bleachers".......it's about real life in los....good book and everyone needs to read it...........that "seymore Butts" is one good author!!..........cheers....:D

Having lived here full time for +8 years and not left the country for more than 10 days a year, I disagree with you in most you say. Some of us are able to adapt to another culture, some of us even able to understand it :)

Previously you sated Insurance can be purchasd for anything in LOS. Please provide contact info for only one Insurance company willing to sell 1st class Insurance covering bike in an accident, for rental bikes not exceeding 150cc. Having purchased more than 25 new vehicles in LOS I have still not found one.

Then we move on to jet ski Insurance. Only one company willing to Insure 1 st class covering purchase price of +350k baht for tourists with no Thai captain lisence? only one please?

I think Thai's who have true western friends treat them as equals, but many Thai's think that they should take advantage of westerns if given the opportunity. Happens to me all the time here.

My Thai wife found a house to rent for 10,000 baht, until the land lord found out i was western, and then she asked for 12,500 baht.

I bet you the owner was happy when he found out a tourist wrecked his jet ski, sort of like winning the lottery.

You really should have said well, you will think about it and you have a few more places to look at.......the owner would rent it for 10k.np..one reason is he knoiws he would get his rent on time....that is a plus..right?......think like a thai.....haggle

Let me know if you get your deposit back after you move too.......you know that is history, trust me! happens to me all the time too....me and you and a million other falang's. How about the houses that are for rent for falang's only......that is a good one!!......wonder why that is......hmmm ;)

any question about what the reason's are.....it's los.......:).

Well, yeah... at least this one doesn't sound like a scam... Right, they fell off but did they have the safety band tied around their wrist that was supposed to pull the key off and shut off the engine? I guess we will never know all the details as here in LOS I never heard of any sort of proper investigation to find all the truth. We will never know if the tourist failed to use the safety feature of if it was mulfunctioning.

One thing I am sure - the machine didn't keep going at a full speed after they fall off. That would indicate a stuck throttle and they would have discovered it as soon as they get on the machine. So EVEN IF the safety device mulfantioned, the speed of the machine would have dropped significantly after they "fell off". If it kept going at the full speed towards the rocks, it means they were flying towards the rocks like retards and they "fell off" in the last second...

While I do concur with the assessment, I think 180K is bullshit. 180K will do more than repair it, it will buy the repairs to the damaged jet ski and buy a new one to boot.

STAY THE HELL OFF THE JET SKIS OR BUY YOUR OWN!

i've been living in thailand on & off for 5 years, & its getting worst for being ripped off, can't jam music in a bar anymore becaase you haven't got a work permit, all us farangs are injecting money into this country & helping there economy, i don't have the respect i had for them at first,

thailand wants your money but thailand doesn't want you.............end of.

The rule in Thailand is: you break it you pay for it. They got off lucky as they could have been forced to pay for a new one.

I Thought the rule was if you break it run??? Isnt that what happens after all caraccidents? according to T.V anyway.

not a scam - but yet another example of how Thai customer service falls short of expectations.

firstly the company is operating without full insurance.

Then they decide they must put the blame on the customer.

however it looks as if the "failsafe" cut out wasn't working properly so they in true Thai business style have again decided to put the blame on the customer.

They set up a business providing pleasure craft for tourists. THey perform no checks as to the customers competence and don't check the basic safety features on they vehicle.

THey should also be aware that if they do this they are going to let very inexperienced people operate their machines.....SO GET INSURED

I can see little to justify the behaviour of the Hire company here - it looks as if yet again they expect the customer to bear the blame regardless of where the real responsibility lies.

Well, yeah... at least this one doesn't sound like a scam... Right, they fell off but did they have the safety band tied around their wrist that was supposed to pull the key off and shut off the engine? I guess we will never know all the details as here in LOS I never heard of any sort of proper investigation to find all the truth. We will never know if the tourist failed to use the safety feature of if it was mulfunctioning.

One thing I am sure - the machine didn't keep going at a full speed after they fall off. That would indicate a stuck throttle and they would have discovered it as soon as they get on the machine. So EVEN IF the safety device mulfantioned, the speed of the machine would have dropped significantly after they "fell off". If it kept going at the full speed towards the rocks, it means they were flying towards the rocks like retards and they "fell off" in the last second...

While I do concur with the assessment, I think 180K is bullshit. 180K will do more than repair it, it will buy the repairs to the damaged jet ski and buy a new one to boot.

STAY THE HELL OFF THE JET SKIS OR BUY YOUR OWN!

a new one is 360k baht including VAT, but not possible to register and rent in Phuket, due to restrictions

makes the old one worth to repair, and 180k seems cheap

Sounds like a scam to me as I thought they all operators of jet skis had to have insurance now?

Sorry, but the insurance system in Thailand's a little different to other countries' policies.

People renting a motorbike with the ordinary insurance( guess it's the same with a jet ski) should be aware that if an accident occurs, the insurance will only cover 15,000 baht for any medical expenses.

I think they take the cheapest version which isn't covering all damage for understandable reasons.

Fact is that I'd seen accidents with big bikes, where a guy who obviously never drove a big bike hit many vehicles, before a Pick Up truck had stopped him.....

Why are people doing stupid things they wouldn't do back in their country?

It's always nice to blame somebody else, but didn't it state that they collided first? I'm sorry, but not all Thais are bad.......:jap:

Edited by sirchai

Rarely have I seen such a load of rubbish posted anywhere about anything.

Jet Skis are fun.

Only needs half a brain to use one safely I should know

Buyer beware

dedicated sea area

dont ride it like a kamakasi idiot near rocks or play chicken!

Sounds like a scam to me as I thought they all operators of jet skis had to have insurance now?

Sorry, but the insurance system in Thailand's a little different to other countries' policies.

People renting a motorbike with the ordinary insurance should be aware that if an accident occurs, the insurance will only cover 15,000 baht for any medical expenses.

I think they take the cheapest version which isn't covering all damage for understandable reasons.

Fact is that I'd seen accidents with big bikes, where a guy who obviously never drove a big bike hit many vehicles, before a Pick Up truck had stopped him.....

Why are people doing stupid things they wouldn't do back in their country?

It's always nice to blame somebody else, but didn't it state that they collided first? I'm sorry, but not all Thais are bad.......:jap:

"SorrY" is not acceptable - these companies offer a service to foreigners and frequently have signs claiming "full insurance" - they know full well that their insurance falls short of expectations and that it saves them money. Other countries adjust their insurance to cater for this - Thai businesses hope that nothing will happenandif in does blame the customer - they have to as they have left themselves no option.

Thailand is getting a reputation for being very shoddy in these areas.