Using The Phone In Thailand

Hecate

This is a totally stupid question, but what is the easiest way to make an international call? Or even a difficult way to make a call. I've only been here for a few days. I'm in Chalong. There used to be phone shops everywhere when I was last in Thailand quite a few years ago. I tried the apartment manager, I tried to email the party in question and I tried to purchase a phone card at the 711. All have met with resistance. I've seen lots of pay phones, but the instructions are in Thai and I can't seem to buy a phone card. Can anyone recommend a phone shop, a place that sells phone cards to clueless falangs, or an international hotel that might help me? I am also willing to buy a mobile, but have a feeling that that will not be easy either. Thanks.

Buy a Thai SIM card at a mobile phone shop, not at the 7/11, and let them activate the card for you, and maybe put in extra credit if the card came with little or no credit. To make an international call cheaply there are special international access codes you have to dial before the country number, I always use 009, consult the mobile phone shop about this.