Bangkok To Ho Chi Minh

Herbs

Could anyone suggest a tour operator in Bangkok who would offer the following:

We (me, my wife and baby son) wish to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh. Our idea is to hire a van and a driver. We intend to take a couple of days to get there, stay for 3-4 nights, then return.

Does anyone have any suggestions, prices?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sorry for being so negative,but with a young baby i think you would be better of finding another means of transport(ie fly). I have travelled overland from BKto Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City before, and unless the roads have remarkably improved in the last four years i wouldn't even contemplate it again.AGAIN I admire your spirit but with a young un and your missus and you don't want to make her your ex-missus please re think.

Happy camping

I am pretty sure it is illegal for foriegners to drive in Vietnam.

Gotta have a temp.V-N license...but do you want to drive there...have you seen the roads :o

To convert a driving licence or an International Driving Permit into a temporary Vietnamese driver's licence, the applicant must first hold a valid Vietnamese residence permit of at least three month's validity and a current National driving licence or a valid International Driving Permit.

In Hanoi, applications for temporary driver's licences should be directed to the Office of Traffic & Public Works, 16 Cao Ba Quat Street . In Ho Chi Minh City, applications should be directed to the Office of Transportation, 63 Ly Tu Trong Street, District 1 - Telephone 8223760 .

In provincial areas, travellers should consult local police authorities to determine exactly what action is required to obtain a temporary driving licence in the province where the applicant resides.

To apply for a Vietnamese driving licence (either to drive a motor vehicle or a motorbike) in Hanoi , the applicant should contact the Centre for Automotive Training and Mechanism, 83A Ly Thuong Kiet Street – Telephone 9422715. .

In Ho Chi Minh City , applications should be lodged with the Office of Transportation, 63 Ly Tu Trong Street, District 1 – Telephone 8223760.

Ho Chi Minh City is about two hours drive from the border with Cambodia.... if I remember it correctly. But I don't think you want to drive in Ho Chi Minh City.... a lot of motorcycles (###### of a lot more than Bangkok) and they hardly have any traffic signals except at major intersections in the city center. Streets are so noisy because everybody is honking at everyone else. If you think Bangkok streets are chaotic, you haven't seen the chaos yet.