Iphone 4, Hdmi-Out With Some Cable.. Possible?

ihightower

Hello.. I want to know if any of the shops in Bangkok can do this... and Have anyone tried this out in Thailand.

I want to know:

Has anyone ever tried the stuff which is said on this page:

iPhone 4 Mirroring Through HDMI

1) Who can do this in Bangkok,

2) Cost?

3) Does it work well?

4) Not affect other items on the phone

5) Jailbreak safe?

Both Sound, Video, and every screen on iphone can go to my TV.

iPhone 4 -> connected with a cable -> HDMI Out on the cable-> HDMI IN on the TV -> What ever is on my phone can be seen (menus, settings, video with audio, browser, etc. EVERYTHING).

Is this the only cable...? Apple Digital AV

Any other choice for the HDMI Cable... ??

The important point is that has anyone tried out.. and can do positive review..?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's an adaptor from the dock to HDMI. You still need a HDMI cable. The one problem I see with it, is battery life... I doubt you will find one in Thailand from other than the Apple store. I see it in their online store for 1,299 Baht. They ship... Amazon has one for a little less but they aren't in Thailand. Banana IT may have it, I saw something like it there. I bought a Miniport to HDMI adaptor there. See other adaptors at Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_18?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=iphone+accessories&sprefix=iphone+accessories#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=iphone+accessories+hdmi+adaptor&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Aiphone+accessories+hdmi+adaptor

Or order it here: http://store.apple.com/th/product/MC953ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

But no, I haven't personally tried it.

It's an adaptor from the dock to HDMI. You still need a HDMI cable. The one problem I see with it, is battery life... I doubt you will find one in Thailand from other than the Apple store. I see it in their online store for 1,299 Baht. They ship... Amazon has one for a little less but they aren't in Thailand. Banana IT may have it, I saw something like it there. I bought a Miniport to HDMI adaptor there. See other adaptors at Amazon here: http://www.amazon.co...es+hdmi+adaptor

Or order it here: http://store.apple.c...mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

But no, I haven't personally tried it.

Actually I just looked at the closeup of the adaptor and it has a USB plug too. So you can charge it as it plays. If Apple makes it , it will work...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the genuine Apple HDMI adapter (there are some third party ones out there as well, I understand). Thre is no USB plug on it. One end is the familiar 30-pin (?) plug that goes into the matching socket on the bottom of the iPhone. The other end has an HDMI port and another 30-pin port so you can attach your phone to exernal power while using HDMI (or synch, or whatever else you can do via that port).

The HDMI port on the adapter might look like a USB port in a photo?

Attaching my iPhone4 to my TV, I was disappointed that it doesn't simply mirror what's on my iPhone4 screen, like it does on the iPad. Only video and audio files can be sent via HDMI to the TV, and while doing so, the videos do not appear on the iPhone screen. The video controls appear, but not the video image. I have not yet figured out how to send photos to my TV. I suspect it is possible, but if so, I haven't found the method.

That said, I saw a YouTube vido with someone using a jailbroken current model iPod Touch, and he was able to mirror from the Touch to his TV screen. The video was not about that, and it wasn't mentioned, I just happened to notice it. So, maybe there's a tweak for a jailbroken iPhone4 that will let you mirror the screen via HDMI. I think it's cool to see everything you do on the iPhone mirrored on TV, but at least the current sending of video/audio streams is better than nothing.

Oh, one other thing. I have to remove the bumper from my iPhone to make an HDMI connection. At first, I went nuts trying to get it to work. It *seems like* the adapter makes a solid connection when the bumper is on my iPhone, but after I took off the bumper, I connected with my TV on the first try.

I have the genuine Apple HDMI adapter (there are some third party ones out there as well, I understand). Thre is no USB plug on it. One end is the familiar 30-pin (?) plug that goes into the matching socket on the bottom of the iPhone. The other end has an HDMI port and another 30-pin port so you can attach your phone to exernal power while using HDMI (or synch, or whatever else you can do via that port).

<snip>

Thank you for the explanation.

If you see my link on the first post... after jailbroken, you need to change a flag from 0 to 1 or something like that. Then you will be able to mirror from iphone4.

I wish you can test it out on your phone (if it is already jailbroken).. so that I know for sure.

I wish you can test it out on your phone (if it is already jailbroken).. so that I know for sure.

Sorry, but I haven't (yet) done a jail break on the phone. I use it's features so seldom that I haven't yet seen anything that a jail broken phone could do, that mine can't ... until now. :)

For some reason, I'm fascinated with seeing the jail broken Touch being mirrored on the large monitor/TV. I was very disappointed to see that my iPhone didn't do that.

I have the Apple HDMI connector, an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2. Here is what I have found.

The iPad 2 has full video mirroring and will output whatever you have on your iPad to your HDMI connected TV or display. Mirroring includes the actual iPad desktop, so your connected display shows exactly what you are seeing on your iPad.

The iPhone 4 does not mirror what is showing on your TV or display. It does output music, video, and also photos, but photos only seem to display if you use slideshow (not individual photos from the camera roll).

As mentioned earlier, there is no USB jack on the adapter, but there is the standard 30 pin connector so you can pug in to your power adapter and charge while using HDMI.

As is usually the case with Apple products, you just plug it in and it works.