Australian Looking For Opportunities

I have just returned from a 2 week holiday to phuket and am basically just wondering what the chances of going there for a working holiday are or even if its possible for an australian to get any kind of work over there.

I am currently an apprentice plumber here in australia but i do not enjoy it or the lifestyle here in general.

I enjoyed being in phuket so much that i would love to spend even just a few months there but i could not afford to holiday for that long.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Josh.

For a working holiday visa you have to be under 30 and have to comleted at lest 3 years of university study, among others. There is more and better info on the Thai embassy to Autralia webpages about this particulair visa (Only for Australians and New Zealanders).

Otherwise, forget about working unless you feel the call to teach in Thailand. Other jobs are availeble, but normally you have to have special skills that would be in short supply in Thailand. Basicly, if a Thai person can do the job, you won't get a work permit).

Your short term opportunities are either teaching English or training to be a diving professional as in either a Divemaster or Instructor. Apart from those two as said if a Thai can do the job you can't. I decided I couldn't be stuck in a classroom all day ;)

Quite a few timeshare/fractional ownership companies operate in Phuket.....they provide visa assistance and a WP...no doubt this will open a can of worms but it is another option other than diving or teaching.

Thailand has many places that are much cheaper than Phuket.

Very much so, it also depends HOW you live. The more Thai style, the cheaper it is. I manage to live very well for 400 pounds a month including a one bedroom house, aircon, cable tv etc. Avoid imported food and don't spend every evening in a bar and you're laughing.

He's pussy struck Mario, happened to me once, about 120 years ago in a sleepy little beachside town called Pattaya. Don't know what happened to that place though, they took it away and replaced it with 'hell on earth'.

Anyway OP, what you are going thru is a fairly standard condition for young male tourists, especially after their first trip to Thailand. The best advice anyone could give you is "FORGET IT" You are a young man, get back to work and save for your future. laugh.gif I'm serious though, get your trade under your belt, start earning some decent cash & leave your escapades to your yearly holidays.

Edited by neverdie

He's pussy struck Mario, happened to me once, about 120 years ago in a sleepy little beachside town called Pattaya. Don't know what happened to that place though, they took it away and replaced it with 'hell on earth'.

Anyway OP, what you are going thru is a fairly standard condition for young male tourists, especially after their first trip to Thailand. The best advice anyone could give you is "FORGET IT" You are a young man, get back to work and save for your future. laugh.gif I'm serious though, get your trade under your belt, start earning some decent cash & leave your escapades to your yearly holidays.

Wise words

Seconded......a good common sense reply as always and spot on the money.

Yeh i guess there is some truth to that, but i can honestly say i was hating life before i went over there i had no idea what it was like and i was still looking at getting out of here.

so once your over 30 u cant go there to work?

Why not find a more suitable place to live within Australia.....?

It is a beautiful country and so many options ..........

And think about all the people in the world who give their

right arm to be able to live and work in Australia....

Edited by midas

Quite a few timeshare/fractional ownership companies operate in Phuket.....they provide visa assistance and a WP...no doubt this will open a can of worms but it is another option other than diving or teaching.

What with all the HUGE sigms announcing the scam Timeshre i doubnt u would make more than 5 baht/day

best bet, in Oct head over and take the diving courses up thru divemaster and then find a job, Pay is enoiugh to get by but ur on the water every day!!! Mnay of the places u take the course need DM's. Then the next low season take the instructor course and ur set for life. Every dive shop in Phuket is 90% of the time looking for instructors

Forget it till Oct thou as the diving is very poor from now till then.

Don't listen to all these guys about dont do it, If i had followed that i would not have had the past 30 years here in Asia,

Where there is a will there is a way>

do it now whille ur young, u can always return to work in Oz.

Edited by phuketrichard

Josh,

I think maybe your are getting things a bit confused...

Mate everyone loves being on holidays, and not many people like being at work... that is the reason why people work to earn money for holidays, but not many people are on holidays 52 weeks/year...

Also life as an apprentice isn't easy, and life as an apprentice plumber is bound to have shit days :P ... maybe it is your trade that you aren't liking, and you are putting two and two together and coming up with Thailand as an answer...

So maybe it isn't just Thailand that is what you need...

Firstly, you need to look at what you want to be doing, and what you think you might be doing, in like 5 years time... and whether your trade is going to help you get there...

Like, maybe in 10 years time, your trade will allow you to work around Asia for Leightons or Transfiled or Civil and Civic or something...

Maybe you need to head to the mines, try and swap into Oil and Gas, and then try and get work in the <deleted> of Thailand and spend 26 weeks on a rig, and 26 weeks in Thailand...

Anyways... as for work, you might be able to get very low paid bar or short order cook work or something like that... but you wouldn't be legal, and if you get deported can never go back to Thailand again... and might have a hard time getting visas for other countries...

I have mates who are experienced radio engineers, all with work experience in Thailand, and not a single one is working in Thailand at the moment, they are mostly in the middle east and holiday in Thailand...

Cheers,

Daewoo

really appreciate all the responses here guys thanks.

daewoo : your right, it is my trade that im not liking, as for using thailand as an escape im aware of that and thats not the case, i know it would be just as hard if not harder working over there.

i was mainly curious as to the opportunites but i can see its far and few, i think im going to look at doing something different here in australia and maybe one day will have the opportunity to spend a length of time over there.

• 3 months later...

For a working holiday visa you have to be under 30 and have to comleted at lest 3 years of university study, among others. There is more and better info on the Thai embassy to Autralia webpages about this particulair visa (Only for Australians and New Zealanders).

Otherwise, forget about working unless you feel the call to teach in Thailand. Other jobs are availeble, but normally you have to have special skills that would be in short supply in Thailand. Basicly, if a Thai person can do the job, you won't get a work permit).

pretty sure this is incorrect...

you don't need 3 years of university study but a tertiary qualification (full time courses with at least 3 years of study).

correct me if you think i am wrong but it seems to be pretty crystal clear to me:

http://thaisydney.idx.com.au/Consular_services/Visa/working%20holiday.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_holiday_visa#Thailand

Obviously there are additional requirements but i just wanted to point out that was incorrect incase somebody (like me!) who is looking at getting one of these visas reads that and gets turned off by it.

try and swap into Oil and Gas, and then try and get work in the <deleted> of Thailand and spend 26 weeks on a rig, and 26 weeks in Thailand...

I wouldnt hold your breath for this on this one, the numbers of expats working the GOT are getting less and less every year due to nationalisation and by my best estimate there most likely less than 150 western expats working in the whole of the gulf and unless the OP is an OIM/DSM/CSR or well services supervisor he will have absolutely no chance.

Aussie has some big O&G projects coming up, so that would be the place to maybe get a start

try and swap into Oil and Gas, and then try and get work in the <deleted> of Thailand and spend 26 weeks on a rig, and 26 weeks in Thailand...

I wouldnt hold your breath for this on this one, the numbers of expats working the GOT are getting less and less every year due to nationalisation and by my best estimate there most likely less than 150 western expats working in the whole of the gulf and unless the OP is an OIM/DSM/CSR or well services supervisor he will have absolutely no chance.

Aussie has some big O&G projects coming up, so that would be the place to maybe get a start

Correct,the OP should stick to getting some serious experience under his belt at home before he decides to embark on looking for work in Thailand,the Oil and Gas industry is a great way of earning some good money and spending your down time in Thailand,but its becoming increasingly difficult to break into it here in the UK i can not speak for OZ,but i can imagine with all the H & S its not much easier,that and the fact that its not really what but who.

I can not for the love of me see the attraction of wanting to work in Thailand unless you work for a MNC and are being paid the same money as one would get back home,i can on the other hand see the attraction of living there,from my own personal situation and experience its best to work as long as possible in ones home country and then sit in the sun during the winter months,its not ideal and if you are in a relationship its very testing,but rest assured its the only way to do it at a young age.

Well, the only way you get a job legally is to:

1. Have a skill in a job or trade that is not prohibied to foriegners (usually that is one that a Thai can't perform and which is not on the list of jobs prohibited to foriegners) and

2. Find a Thai company or a company with an office in Thailand and

3. Get them to hire you based on that particlar skill you have and

4. Then offer you a job in Thailand and

5. Based on that offer you get a non B multi visa and

6. When you arrive that Thai based company sponsors you by lettr for a work permit.

and when you recieve the work permit you can then legally work in Thailand for that company.

But as you can guess it is a long and usually not a sucessful process. Most people that are sucessful are usually managerial types or in white-collar job positions.

P.S. If you have the skills, amd are willing to work offshore, you MAY be able to find a job on an oil-rig in the Gulf of Thailand. You would then have a schedule like 6 weeks on and maybe 3 weeks off (just as an example). If you found such a job you could live in Thailand on your breaks. but such jobs are becoming harder and harder to get...especially without experience in the job on a rig.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

P.S. If you have the skills, amd are willing to work offshore, you MAY be able to find a job on an oil-rig in the Gulf of Thailand. You would then have a schedule like 6 weeks on and maybe 3 weeks off (just as an example). If you found such a job you could live in Thailand on your breaks. but such jobs are becoming harder and harder to get...especially without experience in the job on a rig.

The OP has no chance in the gulf of Thailand based on his current skill set and and by the time he did get the experience there will be no more western expats working offshore in the Gulf of Thailand, in next 3-5 years they will all expat positions on rotation will be just about be nationalised.