Great Place For Food, Drinks And Music

aussiechick

Country Style Biscuits & Gravy and Country Fried Steak are usually Southern Country/Texan dishes.

Has anybody tried them? How was the country gravy? I haven't seen any pork sausage in Thailand with that good southern country taste.

I have been having a hankering for them for a long time.

Yes JT, rendered lard may not be healthy for you. But it sure adds to the taste for tortillas, re-fried beans, country gravy and fried eggs. It also makes the country biscuits more flaky and fluffier. Good Southern and Mexican cooking is not known for being healthy, in fact it's just the opposite. It's the taste and lard is an essential part of it.

BTW, I've heard that Palm Oil isn't healthy either. So I much rather have lard.

Edited by BB1950

I think you misread my comment regarding the beans. I liked their beans! I totally understand the importance of lard in Mexican cooking. That doesn't mean it can't be done well without lard either though.

Again ...

the refritos were very good
Edited by Jingthing

I think you misread my comment regarding the beans. I liked their beans! I totally understand the importance of lard in Mexican cooking. That doesn't mean it can't be done well without lard either though.

Again ...

the refritos were very good

Sorry, I did misread your comment.

Lard is essential indeed for lots of good cooking and so is butter. Margarine is for squeaking door hinges and even not really suitable for this application.

This sorted, I somewhat like the food at The Tequila Reef but being German I probably never had the chance to eat "real" Mexican...so without getting this thread too far off the track, can someone tell me what the difference is between TR and the real stuff?

No smartarse "taste" answer please cool.gif

Lard is essential indeed for lots of good cooking and so is butter. Margarine is for squeaking door hinges and even not really suitable for this application.

This sorted, I somewhat like the food at The Tequila Reef but being German I probably never had the chance to eat "real" Mexican...so without getting this thread too far off the track, can someone tell me what the difference is between TR and the real stuff?

No smartarse "taste" answer please cool.gif

Well, I noticed those who recommend the Tequila Reef and Mikes have no idea what good Mexican food really is.

Mostly Europeans who never have been exposed to good Mexican cooking.

Proper ingredients such a good maze, avocados, and Mexican spices are difficult to obtain over here. Sadly many Europeans think corn flour is corn meal. Places like Bangkok and Chang Mai do have people that can import or produce the proper ingredients. That's why they do have better ingredients and can do 'Mexican' much better..

The answer, that you could identify with is: It's much describing what real German food is to someone who never really ate 'real' German.

Without proper German ingredients the German food would be just as bad. Fortunately there are German butchers and bakers over here, that can make or import proper German meats, cheeses, breads and pastries.

Edited by BB1950

I know I'm opening myself up as a huge target here, but I'm one of those Euros who kinda likes Tequila Reef.

I lived in Austin Texas for a few months many years ago, and tried some of the local Mexican restaurants, and found the food uneatable. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

I know I'm opening myself up as a huge target here, but I'm one of those Euros who kinda likes Tequila Reef.

I lived in Austin Texas for a few months many years ago, and tried some of the local Mexican restaurants, and found the food uneatable. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

Maybe... like Isaan, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc..? Actually taste is extremely subjective. What is delicious to one is absolutely disgusting to another.

Any fried insects anyone?

Edited by BB1950

No, there is an OBJECTIVE element to this. If someone tried to open a place like Tequila Reef in East LA or the SF Mission District and served what they were serving, they would be LUCKY to only go out of business really fast. I don't think it would even be accepted in a whitebread midwestern suburb these days. That some Europeans like their food boggles the mind. I think people go there mostly to get drunk on their margaritas, perfectly understandable considering their food.

Edited by Jingthing

I go there from time to time for 2 chicken tacos ala carte. add a bottle of water and the total is 160b plus free chips/salsa. Consistency is a huge issue there paricularly with the salsa. One time I strayed and tried the tostada-huge misatke. Inedable. At least they have Cholula. mex sauce

Edited by dananderson

Thanks to JT I saved a trip to Jomtien. Wonderful review and good to know that the food was far below expectations.

may I ask the OP how much the reasonable prized drinks are? Maybe I pop in to the open mic nights.

As I only drink Chang I can tell you that it was Baht 55. That should give you some indication.

Jam session is tonight btw

Jingthing and dananderson: you will be pleased to note that after giving the boss a copy of your reviews he is now in the kitchen trying very hard to get the Mexican menu right. He is quite happy to take on board any criticism that will make Purple Space Monkey and even better venue. Thanks

I was not real impressed. I had a T-bone steak and my wife had some fried shrimp and a beef burrito. She also had two Margaritas which are not as good as Mike's.

My steak was tough and gristly. I had asked for Bearnaise sauce instead of the normal mushroom sauce. It arrived with mushroom sauce. When I again asked for Bearnaise sauce I got Holindase instead. Would have been good on eggs bene, but not on a steak. The baked potato had a miniscule amount of sour cream on it and I had to ask for more. The salad was good and they have a home made blue cheese dressing which was good too, but not enough of it. The steak also included garlic bread and some vegetables which were ok...

The deep fried shrimp were pretty good - the breading was crunchy.

The burrito was ok and came with guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese and salsa - very small portions of it... Again the burrito was ok, but not fantastic or even GOOD...

I thought it was a bit pricey myself. Dinner with one of the margaritas and I had club soda came to 900 baht.

I am not sure what the original margarita's price was, but my wife ordered a second one while we were playing pool and it was 200 baht. Smaller than Mike's and not as good and Mike's are only 150 baht.

As one poster mentioned, Shaun (the manager) does try hard and had great people skills.

I will go back to try the biscuits and gravy and the chicken fried steak... but at this point I am not impressed.

This was a Tuesday night so no band, but we did play 5 games of free pool on a nice table.

The building itself is nice.

I was not real impressed. I had a T-bone steak and my wife had some fried shrimp and a beef burrito. She also had two Margaritas which are not as good as Mike's.

My steak was tough and gristly. I had asked for Bearnaise sauce instead of the normal mushroom sauce. It arrived with mushroom sauce. When I again asked for Bearnaise sauce I got Holindase instead. Would have been good on eggs bene, but not on a steak. The baked potato had a miniscule amount of sour cream on it and I had to ask for more. The salad was good and they have a home made blue cheese dressing which was good too, but not enough of it. The steak also included garlic bread and some vegetables which were ok...

The deep fried shrimp were pretty good - the breading was crunchy.

The burrito was ok and came with guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese and salsa - very small portions of it... Again the burrito was ok, but not fantastic or even GOOD...

I thought it was a bit pricey myself. Dinner with one of the margaritas and I had club soda came to 900 baht.

I am not sure what the original margarita's price was, but my wife ordered a second one while we were playing pool and it was 200 baht. Smaller than Mike's and not as good and Mike's are only 150 baht.

As one poster mentioned, Shaun (the manager) does try hard and had great people skills.

I will go back to try the biscuits and gravy and the chicken fried steak... but at this point I am not impressed.

This was a Tuesday night so no band, but we did play 5 games of free pool on a nice table.

The building itself is nice.

Just to let you all know Sean, the GM, is working very hard to get the menu and all the food right. He does listen to all comments and acts on it. It is a cool place to hang out and I for one hope it remains around for a long time.

As I said before the set up is great, the music is good and the open mic night last night went over well.

Just to let you all know Sean, the GM, is working very hard to get the menu and all the food right. He does listen to all comments and acts on it. It is a cool place to hang out and I for one hope it remains around for a long time.

As I said before the set up is great, the music is good and the open mic night last night went over well.

I agree that Sean tries really hard. I stayed around to express my "concerns" to him, but he was pretty busy and never had a chance to talk with me. I have a twelve year background in restaurants with my family having 6 franchises for a national chain in 3 states. I have done everything from wash dishes to manage the managers. Sean has great people skills and I am sure it is hard to get Thai staff trained, but they should know the difference between Holindaise and Bearnaise sauce. Adequate condiments such as sour cream on a baked potato etc. are basics....

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone who wants something to do tonight Goobergun are playing at Purple Space Monkey tonight. These guys are great!!!

Yes, obviously I will be there. I never miss these guys when they come to Pattaya

Great band and well worth a trip to the Purple Space Monkey to see them, I'm out of town or I would have been there myself.

:)