Another Retirement Visa Question

At the moment I live in a neighboring (to Thailand) country where I work.

I plan to retirn in Thailand in about 3 - 5 more years. I used to live in Thailand and I still maintain my bank accounts in Bangkok. I come to Bangkok for banking and other business (on tourist visas) about once a month. I have bank accounts (with more than 800,000 baht) and an address which I can use in Bangkok.

I've been thinking of going ahead and getting a retirement visa now. Then I will have the three years accumulated and I can go ahead and apply for residency when I actually make the big move. I'm also thinking that if they raise the financial requirement for retirement visas, MAYBE I'll be grandfathered in at the old rates.

My questions are :-

1- Will it be any problem with the Thai Immigration authorities that I am working elsewhere (outside of Thailand) while on a "retirement visa"?

2- I am assuming that Retirement Visas are multi-entry ... is this correct? So there is no need to obtain re-entry permits everytime one exits. Correct?

3- If one is in Thailand on a retirement visa, is there any need to complete Thai income tax returns? Are tax clearances necessary?

4- What are the disadvantages in doing it this way?

I've been thinking of going ahead and getting a retirement visa now. Then I will have the three years accumulated and I can go ahead and apply for residency when I actually make the big move.  I'm also thinking that if they raise the financial requirement for retirement visas, MAYBE I'll be grandfathered in at the old rates.

My questions are :

2- I am assuming that Retirement Visas are multi-entry ... is this correct? So there is no need to obtain re-entry permits everytime one exits. Correct?

you have to enter Thailand on a Non-Im visa and have the SAME visa extended every year for three years in order to apply for a residence permit!

you'll need a new multiple re-entry permit after each extension in order to travel abroad.

you will not be able to apply for residency by using multi entry visas for three years!

opalhort

Opalhart said, "you will not be able to apply for residency by using multi entry visas for three years!"

Would you please explain that? I too, was considering getting a Non-Imm B with multiple entry - as I work in another country, but spend five months a year in Thailand.

Can you explain why having multiple entry visa would disqualify one from permanent residency?

Sorry to be so thick headed!

Chuckie,

Opalhort did explain that - in his first paragraph:

you have to enter Thailand on a Non-Im visa and have the SAME visa extended every year for three years in order to apply for a residence permit!

It is neccessary to have three CONTINUOUS years to qualify for

Residence - so if you are leaving the Kingdom - it is neccessary

to have a Re-entry Permit. If you do not do this - the validity of

your Visa & any extension will expire.

It will then be neccassary to apply for a new

visa which means that you start counting the 3 years again.

To qualify for the 3 continuous years, you will be required to be

in Thailand at the same time each year to process the Annual

Extension. - That would be in the week preceeding the anniversary

of the date of your entry into the Kingdom during which you

process your first annual extension.

You would probably be required to be in Thailand for 3 months to

process your first "annual" extension - which will normally be for 9 months.

I hope this is clear - if not then please ask for clarification.

Personally - I do not see Residence as an advantage.

I just extend my Retirement Visa annually.

I would be interested in hearing other's views on this.

But to get your Retirement Visa now would hopefully

put you in a "GrandFather" category - thereby limiting your

Bank Deposit requirement to current levels.

Roger

Can you explain why having multiple entry visa would disqualify one from permanent residency?

It really does not disqualify you but it does not qualify you by the standards used 'that the three years must be on an extension of one visa'.

Get a Non-Immigrant O class visa from a Thai Embassy or Consulate. While in Thailand, get a letter from your bank in Thailand evidencing the 800,000 baht in the bank and take that letter along to Immigration and apply for an extension for one year, and at the same time apply for a multiple entry re-entry permit. You continue to extend that each year, and get that re-entry permit as well. Quite easy really. Do it sooner rather than later or you'll get caught when the required banking increases in mid 2004.

Chuckie,

Opalhort did explain that - in his first paragraph:

It is neccessary to have three CONTINUOUS years to qualify for

Residence - so if you are leaving the Kingdom - it is neccessary

to have a Re-entry Permit. If you do not do this - the validity of

your Visa & any extension will expire.

It will then be neccassary to apply for a new

visa which means that you start counting the 3 years again.

To qualify for the 3 continuous years, you will be required to be

in Thailand at the same time each year to process the Annual

Extension. - That would be in the week preceeding the anniversary

of the date of your entry into the Kingdom during which you

process your first annual extension.

You would probably be required to be in Thailand for 3 months to

process your first "annual" extension - which will normally be for 9 months.

I hope this is clear - if not then please ask for clarification.

Personally - I do not see Residence as an advantage.

I just extend my Retirement Visa annually.

I would be interested in hearing other's views on this.

But to get your Retirement Visa now would hopefully

put you in a "GrandFather" category - thereby limiting your

Bank Deposit requirement to current levels.

Roger

OK... Thanks for all the very helpful information.

I need one point clarified ... and apologies in advance if this is a stupid qustion ...

If I understand correctly ... I can get the Non-Immigrant "O" visa at the Thai consulate here (abroad) and then have it extended to one year while I am in Bangkok. I also get the multiple re-entries for my regular trips in and out. Then after a year I extend the Non Immigrant "O" for another year ... get another multiple re-entry permit ... etc etc. Then after three years, I will have qualified for the 3 consecutive years needed for residency as long as I am careful about my re-entry permits and extensions of my Non-Immigrant "o" visa .... is this correct?

Now I am wondering about ... what is the advantage of going ahead and getting the retirement visa now? Is the only advantage the lower bank deposit amount (granted ... this may be enough reason for me to go ahead and do it now)? Any thoughts about this?

After that 3 years of extensions you are only eligible to apply for residency. I'd apply now if it were me because one never knows whether the rules might change but it really is a personal thing. As you know, the bankings / income are set to double in July 2004. If that isn't an issue, toss a coin. Good luck.

I can get the Non-Immigrant "O" visa at the Thai consulate here (abroad) and then have it extended to one year while I am in Bangkok.
Just want to make sure you know that this will then become a retirement visa (or long stay visa as it is also called) and will require the money in a Thai bank. You then give the advantage of doing it now regarding residence permit. But follow it with your second paragraph:
Now I am wondering about ... what is the advantage of going ahead and getting the retirement visa now?

Answer would be your three year qualify process. a current visa and the current 800k requirement I guess; but think you already know that so not sure what you are asking.

Now I am wondering about ... what is the advantage of going ahead and getting the retirement visa now? Is the only advantage the lower bank deposit amount (granted ... this may be enough reason for me to go ahead and do it now)? Any thoughts about this?

You will fit in here very, very well...why do today that which can be postponed until later .... even much, much later . :o

I gotta say doc he was a good bloke, a man of the people really he was very popular. I was gonna make a comment about MR Duncan who couldn't swim but havn't yet few more VB might :D

I'm an old political science man Bronco, and well familiar with the sordid tales of Dr Duncan's inability to go a few laps across the Torrens at night, under the very strict training of the CIB. They never did cop ( no pun ) real punishment for murder. :o

Now I am wondering about ... what is the advantage of going ahead and getting the retirement visa now?  Is the only advantage the lower bank deposit amount  (granted ... this may be enough reason for me to go ahead and do it now)?  Any thoughts about this?

You will fit in here very, very well...why do today that which can be postponed until later .... even much, much later . :o

To be fair to Rogerdee123 ...

Remember he is WORKING outside of Thailand just now.

If he applies for a Retirement (that is what is now stamped

in my passport) Visa now then he is committed to being in

the Kingdom at the same time each year ...

That might not be a problem but it is a consideration...

Roger

Yes ... Mai Pen Rai is my attitude ... Actually things in Thailand move a little too fast for me .. B)

Anyway ... for those interested ... today I went to the Thai consulate here (Vientiane) and submitted my Non-Immigrant "O" form with passport & passport photocopy & photos, ... There was another farang in front of me arguing about his photos. So I was nice and polite and told the nice lady to be careful with the wet glue on the form.

The nice Thai lady behind the counter asked ... "Where are your supporting documents?" ... and I replied ... "What documents?"

She said "You must have supporting documents" ... so I gave her my bank statement from the HSBC Bangkok which I had brought along just in case ... this pleased her and she said "OK".

But then she said ... "Who is your guarantor in Thailand?" ... and I replied .. "I thought my Bank could be my guarantor" ... and she said "No". Then she suggested ... "Don't you know anyone in Thailand whose name and address you can put on the form?" .... so a name and address came to mind and I put it on the form.

She then suggested that the JW Marriott Hotel (the address I gave as my Thai Address) would be very expensive for retirement and I replied that "I am looking for a place to live" and she was satisfied :D

However ... she would not agree to give me a multi-entry visa even though I had the correct change in Thai Baht handy ... 5000 Thai Baht :o

Anyway ... the clerk who received my 2000 baht payment advised me to return ... "prungnii, ton bai" ...

Mai mii panhaa :o

I went back the next day at about 1:30PM. (The consultate accepts visa applications in the mornings and returns passports in the afternoons .. of the next day).

There was a line of about 25 people in front of me. After about 30 minutes I was at the front of the line ... handed in my receipt ... and got back my Passport with a shiny new non-immigrant "O" visa valid for 90 days, single entry only.

So I'm off to Krungthep & Suan Plu next week for the retirement visa application ... I've decided to apply for the multiple re-entry permit at Suan Plu also.

I'll report on that experience later...

From other posts on the board there seems to be some question now as to whether a medical certificate is required for the Retirement Visa ??? This doesn't really worry me as I have done those before in years past ... but it adds to the time.

So I'm off to Krungthep & Suan Plu next week for the retirement visa application ... I've decided to apply for the multiple re-entry permit at Suan Plu also.

No need to visit Suan Pluh now. They will not accept your application until you have only 30 days left of current stay. So you can relax for about two months.

Congrats and Happy new year!

Oh ... really? I cannot apply for the retirement visa until my current (90 day) non-imm "O" is 60 days old? ... i.e. when there are less than 30 days left?

Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that I read somewhere on this board where someone applied (early?) at Suan Plu and his retirement visa application was accepted and he was told to come back when his visa expired with his (current on that date) bank docs.

Actually now that I think about it, I think it was a guy changing a non immigrant "B" visa to an "O" visa which would allow him to apply for retirement. I suppose he had to submit the docs first to effect the change from "B" to "O". After this change, the Immigration police were probably telling him to come back again when his "O" visa expires with the un-dated docs to get his retirement visa (the "OA" ).

OK ... guess I should listen to george :o

Well, it seems things change rapidly. In late Oct I went to immigration in BKK with the non-imm O visa I had obtained in Malaysia 2 days previously and applied for a years extension (retired) and received it within 30 minutes. I then went to the wicket for a multiple reentry stamp for a year and got that in 45 minutes.