Indian chief minister 'allowed' Gujarat 2002 anti-Muslim riots, officer says

News_Editor

Indian chief minister 'allowed' Gujarat 2002 anti-Muslim riots, officer says

2011-04-23 02:40:01 GMT+7 (ICT)

GUJARAT, INDIA (BNO NEWS) -- A senior police officer blamed India's Gujarat state chief minister Narendra Modi for the anti-Muslim riots that erupted after the 2002 Godhra train blaze, the Hindustan Times reported Friday.

Senior Gujarat police officer Sanjiv Bhatt said Modi wanted Muslims to be taught "a lesson" for the train burning that left 59 Hindu pilgrims dead and that Hindus should "be allowed to vent out their anger".

Bhatt, who was a senior police officer in the Gujarat intelligence bureau during the riots, told India's Supreme Court that the top officials of the state administration and police were told this during a late night meeting held at the chief minister's residence on Feb 27, 2002. He added that the appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) turned a blind eye to these allegations.

The Sabarmati Express was set on fire on February 27, 2002, near Godhra railway station where the 59 persons were killed. The attack triggered widespread communal riots in Gujarat that claimed the lives of over 1,200 people, mainly Muslims.

Bhatt said in a sworn statement to the Supreme Court that chief minister Modi was cautioned that a call for a general strike could spark communal riots and Gujarat police were not adequately equipped to deal with such a situation. Modi was quoted as having said that "emotions were running very high amongst the Hindus and it was imperative that they be allowed to vent out their anger".

The officer added he's been fearing for his own safety since the confidentiality of his deposition before the SIT was breached, according to the Hindustan Times.

"I have serious and well founded apprehensions regarding my own safety and the safety and security of my family," he said. "I was visited and continue to be visited with unpleasant consequences".

Last month, a special court sentenced 11 people to death, while 20 others were sentenced to life in prison for setting fire to the train. This was one of the largest number of death sentences given at any one time in India.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-23