Saffron Farming?

frankyj

Was just wondering if anyone has tried their hand at cultivating saffron in Thailand? My old man lives in Isaan in a village and I mentioned the prospect to him but he said the locals have a very closed mind when it comes to farming and they like to stick to their old ways - pretty much means rice with no modern farming techniques..

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this question a couple of years ago on this forum. It does grow here in the north but under glass, shade and other stuff that contributes to its very expensive price. Its also a closed shop for marketing amongst a few wealthy thai farmers. Pound for pound its the most expensive agricultural product in the world.

I also asked the same question in Oz some years ago when I had a 5 acre block in tropical northern NSW. The amused lady at the local ag. research station asked me if I had ever seen a saffron field. I hadn't. Apparently you need to pick the 2 thin filaments from the centre of each crocus flower. A one acre block has about 1 million flowers. One decent strong wind or gale is capable of knocking the whole crop over. Back to the drawing board.