Bangkok-Social Life

strikingsunset

Just wanted to ask for some pointers as to how to start building a social life in Bangkok away from the bar/bar girl scene.

I,ve browsed around the forums but did not come up with much.

For example,when I lived in Shanghai their was an American style bar that had a " Newcomers to Shanghai" evening one night a week that was really useful.

Here,s hoping this posting is not subject to ridicule,its a genuine question.

Many Thanks

Edited by strikingsunset

How old are you and what are your interests?

i.e.

There are Bangkok Young Professionals events where people meet up, network and socialize...

There are football teams you could join (if young and good enough)...

There are pub golfing events...

I'm not sure if there is a Hash House Harriers in Bangkok or not...

i.e.

There are Bangkok Young Professionals events where people meet up, network and socialize...

Hi I am 55 yrs of age,I do go to the gym 5 times a week and run about 20 miles a week,never thought it would be a real option to run in Bangkok though.

I do play golf,or try to! ,do you know which pubs have golf societies/events please ?

i.e.

Hi I am 55 yrs of age,I do go to the gym 5 times a week and run about 20 miles a week,never thought it would be a real option to run in Bangkok though.

I do play golf,or try to! ,do you know which pubs have golf societies/events please ?

Just to add,I love live music,cooking,and am going to enrol at a Thai Language school,I was thinking The Thai Language Hut,gets good references and apparently has a social side also.

I recently had some friends visiting Bangkok who were very much into Salsa dancing, so the wife & I checked the net and found a Salsa club for them.

We went to La Rueda, which is located on Sukhumvit Soi 18.

It struck me then that this would be a fantastic way/place to meet people whilst learning something new & different.

From the outside it doesn't look much, but it's very popular and was well packed on the Thursday evening that we went with a whole range of ages.

Check the link here

I recently had some friends visiting Bangkok who were very much into Salsa dancing, so the wife & I checked the net and found a Salsa club for them.

We went to La Rueda, which is located on Sukhumvit Soi 18.

It struck me then that this would be a fantastic way/place to meet people whilst learning something new & different.

From the outside it doesn't look much, but it's very popular and was well packed on the Thursday evening that we went with a whole range of ages.

Check the link here

wow,what a great idea,I will for sure try that out,excellent,thanks

Jakkayarn is a cycling club that do trips around and out of Bangkok at the weekends. Great way to get to know people, see the city and countryside and keep fit all at the same time.

Many Many thanks,I love cycling just the kind of think I am looking for.................I will get involved in this for sure

Golfing Societies

Robin Hood Golfing Society - play at Bangpakong Riverside on the 4th Saturday of the month - early morning - website is http://www.robinhoodgolfsociety.blogspot.com/

Londoners Golfing Society - Play at Thana City (11:30) and Royal Lakeside (8am) - website is http://www.londonergolfclub-bkk.com/

Wanderers Golfing Society - Play twice a month, one early and one mid morning - website is http://www.bkkbwgc.com/

All of these societies play weekend golf, if you want midweek golf, look at http://www.igst2.com/, they play Wednesday mornings.

Quiz nites, always good to meeet with people

Robin Hood every Monday night at 7:30

O'Reillys every Wednesday night at 7:30

Pickled Liver every Thursday at 8:30

Bulls Head every Tuesday (?) at 7:30

Golfing Societies

Robin Hood Golfing Society - play at Bangpakong Riverside on the 4th Saturday of the month - early morning - website is http://www.robinhood...y.blogspot.com/

Londoners Golfing Society - Play at Thana City (11:30) and Royal Lakeside (8am) - website is http://www.londonergolfclub-bkk.com/

Wanderers Golfing Society - Play twice a month, one early and one mid morning - website is http://www.bkkbwgc.com/

All of these societies play weekend golf, if you want midweek golf, look at http://www.igst2.com/, they play Wednesday mornings.

Quiz nites, always good to meeet with people

Robin Hood every Monday night at 7:30

O'Reillys every Wednesday night at 7:30

Pickled Liver every Thursday at 8:30

Bulls Head every Tuesday (?) at 7:30

Many Thanks,once again,following all the advice given here I have reworked my budget and its circa 50,000 baht/month now.

Check Bangkok Trader on Facebook. They've got an event on this Tuesday at the Novatel in Siam Square.

Are you retired or still working? Check out the various chambers of commerce.

Lighthouse club (construction industry charity) has get togethers once a month and has a golf section.

i.e.

I am the same age. Run 4-5 times a week starting in Asoke Area. Always looking for a running partner. Let me know if any interest

• 2 weeks later...

i.e.

I am the same age. Run 4-5 times a week starting in Asoke Area. Always looking for a running partner. Let me know if any interest

Hi,thanks yes I am interested in a regular run, I did send you a PM,I am back in BKK mid august onwards,Regards.

Check Bangkok Trader on Facebook. They've got an event on this Tuesday at the Novatel in Siam Square.

Are you retired or still working? Check out the various chambers of commerce.

Lighthouse club (construction industry charity) has get togethers once a month and has a golf section.

Thanks I Will check that out.

I am not working nor retired,I read the category " economically inactive",maybe I fit somwehere near that one!

OP