What Is It With Thais And Their Noisy Cocks?

Beachcomber

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but interrupted sleep is simply a fact of life in the rural areas. The trouble is the domino effect. Since most small Thai villages are built on a line along the road, as one dog barks so does the dog at the neighboring house. If you hear the loud flap of the rooster wings then you know that a few seconds later the rooster will crow followed by the neighboring rooster until the rooster at the end of the street does his thing and then it travels back up the road once more. (And just how did that myth get created in the west that a rooster crows at dawn?) At around 4:00 AM someone is driving their ancient Suzuki 50cc to the local farmers market. In the more traditional rural villages, the crowing is soon followed by the loud thunk thunk sounds of wood on wood as the women rise early to manually mill rice. At around 6:00 AM the local headman or kamnan brings his government message on the village loudspeakers. By 7:00 AM the various commercial entities begin cruising the village with their loudspeakers mounted atop their pickup trucks announcing the sale of household goods or the purchasing of bottles or other recyclables.

Maybe there is a reason that most Thai men drink themselves to sleep with the aid of Mother Kong.

I confess that I once cut the lines to the village loudspeaker adjacent to my home but I never killed a loud cock.

Oh and by the way sorry for my bad english writing, I am not a native speaker and after 12 years working with people with very limited English skills it seems my English went from good to bad, anyway I hope what I try to tell is understandable.

KR,

Alexlah

You're doing fine Alex.

You really do need to come up with some way to cope with all the goofy things that go on around here.

Bryan

Sorry what it means: Goofy things?

KR,

Alex

This is a subject I can really relate to, in our village the cocks started at 4 am ish.

We then got ‘modernised’ that is we got a street light.

The locals thought it was wonderful but all it really did was to tell the b****y cocks that it was coming light at 1 am.

Now we get it all through the night, its no problem for my Thai family they don’t hear it but I feel as though I am being tortured.

The local loud speaker system that the head man loves and values is up and running at 5.30 am.

At 6 am my mother in law, who is 75 going on 200, :o starts shouting to her neighbours at the top of her voice, and does she have volume.

Many times I have had a car full of Thai women going to a super market or some place and had to tell them not to shout as we are all in about 2 feet of each other, and what do they say ‘we are not shouting’ :D

I spent a large part of my formative years on a poultry farm. 5000 chickens and a few cocks to keep ‘em happy. Whereas mostly they were housed in deep litter, we also had a free-range flock. I find that there is something comforting in waking up to the sound of a crowing cock.

Now in Thailand the situation is similar except you really don’t have to be in a very rural situation to be close to chickens. I live in a village development and my neighbour has a cock, in fact a lot of my neighbours have cocks and I hardly hear them. My girlfriend tells me she loves the idea of a little cock in the morning in fact she even says that late at night it helps her go to sleep. However I’m not to keen on the idea of it being my neighbour’s cock so I thought I’d investigate the possibility of investing in a coop and so would be able to satisfy her needs with a cock of my own. So in future my gf and I will be looking forward to a crowing cock in the morning and perhaps every now and then throughout the day….I wonder if it will silence my neighbour’s cock….

I agree 100% - except keep an ear open for your neighbour's cock if it's still noisy (active) I suggest sewing machine or scissors whichever is more appropriate in your estimation!! :o

I spent a large part of my formative years on a poultry farm. 5000 chickens and a few cocks to keep ‘em happy. Whereas mostly they were housed in deep litter, we also had a free-range flock. I find that there is something comforting in waking up to the sound of a crowing cock.

Now in Thailand the situation is similar except you really don’t have to be in a very rural situation to be close to chickens. I live in a village development and my neighbour has a cock, in fact a lot of my neighbours have cocks and I hardly hear them. My girlfriend tells me she loves the idea of a little cock in the morning in fact she even says that late at night it helps her go to sleep. However I’m not to keen on the idea of it being my neighbour’s cock so I thought I’d investigate the possibility of investing in a coop and so would be able to satisfy her needs with a cock of my own. So in future my gf and I will be looking forward to a crowing cock in the morning and perhaps every now and then throughout the day….I wonder if it will silence my neighbour’s cock….

I agree 100% - except keep an ear open for your neighbour's cock if it's still noisy (active) I suggest sewing machine or scissors whichever is more appropriate in your estimation!! :o

sound advice there......

Can some one elucidate on Bambina's comment!?!?!?!?! I'm too embarrassed to ask....

Edited by wilko

We live in central Chiang Mai and get our neighbours cocks all through the night...you just get used to it (almost)

and the dogs, and the bikes, and the drunken sister a couple of times a week, and our housemate stumbling home from her bar job....

and the local arguments (usually the drunken sister is involved)

this is city life too :o