Mazda3

Tywais

The Toyota Avanza has as many seats. I saw one the other day carrying 9 people!! You didn't need to buy the Fortuner.

Avanza compared to Fortuner - what? Chalk and cheese! Yes they both take 7 or more but there the comparison ends. Obviously the number of bums on seats wasn't my only consideration or i would have bought a pick-up and put rows of seats in the back. :o

Someone called me a Toyota rep. With all that soft sell for Mazda I should be excused, really. OP asked for an opinion, and I gave mine. And I just wrote that because someone said "Toyotas and Hondas are underpowered". Total bull.

2.0 Honda Civic has 155hp, Toyota's 2.0l engine produces 150 hp, and 2.0 Mazda/Focus - measly 141 hp, even new 1.8l Civic will have 144 hp.

Its not just the power, its the balance and chasis dynamics that make a lot of difference to the overall quality of the car. Mazda modelled the new 3 after European stalwarts like the Golf, instead of more direct competition like Altis or Civic. In effect, they did some rethinking on the approach to developing a compact car, and refocused on where some of the priorities should go to.

read the interview with the Mazda 3 program director here :

http://www.mazda3thailand.com/mazda/eng/0w/index.html

for the record i'm not pro-mazda or anything, having owned both hondas and mazdas in the past. but i think the Mazda 3 is quite a refreshing change.

I reacted only to "underpowered" claim.

Mazda's strong points were always handling and driving dynamics.

There's a picture of burning Mazda in today's paper - it just caught fire all by itself. Third reported case in Thailand.

"Meanwhile, in Bangkok, another Mazda 3 sedan caught fire yesterday near Kasetsart University, Manager Online reported. There were no reports of injuries.

The vehicle had just been driven out of a garage on Ram Inthra Road, where it had been undergoing repairs for two months.

Mazda Sales (Thailand) Co, the Japanese carmaker’s local distributor, said the fire had probably resulted from a defective heat-protective strip under the engine. The company recalled 4,000 vehicles of the same model after two fires involving Mazda 3 vehicles in September. The fire-damaged cars were replaced."

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a deposit down on a new Mazda 3 Sedan. I prefer the styling of it and as its based on the same platform as the Volvo S40 and Ford Focus the hadnling dynamics should be great. I also like the ability to shift gears manually if I want to, something sadly missing from Toyotas and Hondas. As for the engine power, its the same as the US/UK spec 2.0 but detuned to 141 bhp from 150 supposedly reduces the emissions, I'm sure some enterprising person in bkk can obtain the UK/US engine map and load it up if you want more power (probably invalidate your warranty though). I was also told originally 4 months, but when I signed the paperwork they claim it could be as soon as 2 weeks, but probably sometime in Dec.

Can't say I'm much of a fan of the new Civic, I like the interior but I'm sure I'd get bored of it. I read one comment from a road tester that driving it was like playing a computer game...quite difficult to get used to thos fancy dials.

Anyhow...now I have my old car to sell :D 2005 model Honda Civic RX with Mugen 17" wheels and a 4 exit exhaust conversion (only from the back box, its just for styling not performance!) if anyones' interested :o

I have a new 1.8E Altis and it has plenty of power, believe me.

The interior is very comfortable and the ride is very good.

Cornering is terrible as it has a high center of gravity, but

I ride conservatively around Bangkok and do not need this spec

at a high rating level.

My only serious complaint is that as a big fellow (6'3") with long legs, getting in and out requires I sit side saddle first and then slide my legs under the steering wheel. But once in the car there is good leg room.

At 850KTHB, I think I have a great value/car.

If I lived up country, I might have a pickup or even SUV, but Bkk driving is tight and this smallish car is perfect.

Cheers

Edited by paulfr

I'm an inch taller than you mate, and I find the Altis is extremely cramped in the legroom dept, my Fortuner isn't too bad, but I wish the the steering wheel could be angled just a few inches higher.

As I said, it is just OK.

But I can take my left leg and stretch it out completely straight because there is a deep pocket in the back of the left side down below. I cannot do that with the right leg while driving though.

I'm an inch taller than you mate, and I find the Altis is extremely cramped in the legroom dept, my Fortuner isn't too bad, but I wish the the steering wheel could be angled just a few inches higher.

As I said, it is just OK.

But I can take my left leg and stretch it out completely straight because there is a deep pocket in the back of the left side down below. I cannot do that with the right leg while driving though.

I originally bought my Civic for the same reason. Seems to be a problem across the whole Toyota range (I tried Altis and Wish) which is strange because I had a Corolla T-Sport in the UK (now why can't a buy that model here?) and that was fine, ok I know its a hatch and not a saloon but the floor pan is the same so you'd think the interior passenger space would be too.

• 2 weeks later...