Leather Seats

In the quest to find the ultimate driving machine after selling my old car I once again took a test drive in the new Fiesta a few days ago.

I really love the performance but the only thing that put me off was that the leather seats made my back sweat, a lot. Of the five cars I have owned in Thailand all have had leather but none had this effect, but I really want leather as I have a personal dislike of the colours they use on the fabric seats

Is there some kind of treatment you can apply to leather to stop this?

A freind said , "put a seat cover over it" but that kinda defeats the object.

Cheers

TP

Hatchback, may explain it, but a company with Ford's reputation should not be offering subtandard equipment. <_<

but I looked at the seats in the sedan and they look exactly the same :unsure:

There has to be a way around this (I hope)

Were you test driving the sedan or the hatchback?

The top-model sedan is the only variant that comes with factory leather - so if it wasn't that, you were test driving something with aftermarket trimming - which could explain it..

Ford offer leather seats as an option for the hatchback. The cost is 18,000 THB. They're the same as the seats fitted to the sedan. However they aren't top grade leather and some of the seat cover sections are plastic which may explain the sweating. The seats probably don't breathe the same as a higher grade leather.

Apologies for multiple post. Don't know what happened earlier.

Any ideas?

I'm sure there are shops around that can refit the seats with a choice in type and quality of leather. Maybe someone can recommend specific shops.

yepp, I would buy the car with cloth as Ford Fiestas leater isnt much to brag about. 18 k baht should get you excellent quality aftermarket leather for seats, probably have to ad 2k for doors, and if maintained with lanoline (not silicone) they remaine breathing and comfy.

In general I avoid perforated leather. It breaths nicely, especially with the ass fan in Camry, but gets worne and ugly rather fast

Any ideas?

I'm sure there are shops around that can refit the seats with a choice in type and quality of leather. Maybe someone can recommend specific shops.

yepp, I would buy the car with cloth as Ford Fiestas leater isnt much to brag about. 18 k baht should get you excellent quality aftermarket leather for seats, probably have to ad 2k for doors, and if maintained with lanoline (not silicone) they remaine breathing and comfy.

In general I avoid perforated leather. It breaths nicely, especially with the ass fan in Camry, but gets worne and ugly rather fast

As said by others who beat me to it. If you really like the car and will pay a little extra for what you want then recover the seats (+ other items to match up the interior trim) with leather of your choosing.

Don't know where you're at but look at www.grandseatcover.com they're in Nanthaburi. If you're anywhere near there call in and take a look at what they do. They recover seats for rebuilds amongst other things. A Thai I know who rebuilt a 1974 Camaro LT used them a while back and the interior was impressive. Haven't used them myself but I looked at them 2 years ago and their work looked pretty good and I thought the prices were ok. If and when I get a rebuild going I would go there.

Maybe others know of different people and can advise somewhere closer to your location.

Good Luck

Leather is NOT a factory option on the Fiesta hatchback, nor the lower sedan models. If you've been offered it, you've been offered an aftermarket retrimming job organized by the selling dealer, not something from Ford, and not covered under the Ford new car warranty.

In Thailand, there are usually several grades of leather to choose from in the aftermarket, and for something like a Fiesta the prices would run something like this:

Grade AAA, full leather: 35K

Grade A, full leather: 25K

Grade A, leather front, synthetic back: 18K

Grade B, leather front, synthetic back: 13K

Grade C, leather front, synthetic back: 9K

Leather is NOT a factory option on the Fiesta hatchback, nor the lower sedan models. If you've been offered it, you've been offered an aftermarket retrimming job organized by the selling dealer, not something from Ford, and not covered under the Ford new car warranty.

As he says.

post-566-0-63627600-1303619341_thumb.jpg

In Thailand, there are usually several grades of leather to choose from in the aftermarket, and for something like a Fiesta the prices would run something like this:

The Ford dealership we went to 'offered' to fit leather seats (quote: the same as in the sedan) for 18,000 THB when we were considering a car for my wife. A different TV member also made this same statement (Fiesta vs Mazda 2) which I read with interest as those were the very 2 cars we were considering at the time. Given that neither I or the other member know each other and probably live 100's of kilometre apart it would appear that Ford Thailand are offering this and not one dealer in isolation.

So in my vernacular it is a Ford option. Whether it's fitted in a factory or the seats are recovered prior to delivery is immateriel. Ford Thailand are offering a leather option. Seeing your post reminded me that the sales guy did actually refer to grade A and the prices are identical.

Any ideas?

I don't know, but I've have factory fitted perforate leather in my civic for nearly 180K, 7 yrs, and still they are in perfect condition. I've seen it in similar cars, but it's badly worn. I think it would depend on how often you take care of it. I use a conditioner on it every 2 weeks to a month - all through the car. Everything is still in A1 condition.

In terms of the OP I'd get the standard car, and refit the leather yourself. Get the AAA if budget allows, and look after it well. I do use seat covers in the front though, mainly cos the seats are a little firm. That obviously helps protect them as well.

The Ford dealership we went to 'offered' to fit leather seats (quote: the same as in the sedan) for 18,000 THB when we were considering a car for my wife. A different TV member also made this same statement (Fiesta vs Mazda 2) which I read with interest as those were the very 2 cars we were considering at the time. Given that neither I or the other member know each other and probably live 100's of kilometre apart it would appear that Ford Thailand are offering this and not one dealer in isolation.

So in my vernacular it is a Ford option. Whether it's fitted in a factory or the seats are recovered prior to delivery is immateriel. Ford Thailand are offering a leather option. Seeing your post reminded me that the sales guy did actually refer to grade A and the prices are identical.

It's standard practice for dealers to supply & fit non-genuine accesories pre-delivery in Thailand, all brands do it, all dealerships do it, but that doesn't make it a factory option. This is something a prudent new car buyer in Thailand needs to be very aware of - if you don't specify "genuine only", most dealerships will kit your new car with the cheapest possible option for accessories.

The most common non-genuine accessories thrown-in with deals are windows tinting (film), weathershields, floor mats, exhaust tips, side mirror covers, and for pickups; tray liners, rear bumpers, side steps, nudge bars and roll bars.

None of these non-genuine accessories are covered under the new car warranty. Your sellign dealer may help you out with warranty claims, but no way will any other dealership be able to help you out, as warranty is serviced by the 3rd party vendor responsible for the original supply & fit.

In any case, At 18K Baht my guess is you'd be getting 13K worth of seat trimming, and a nice 5K commission for the sales rep. Even if they weren't making a comm (not very likely, heh) for this kind of money you'd be looking at much lower-grade Leather than what comes genuine on the top-model 4-door. It may look very similar now, but now way will it feel or last the same.

My recommendation would be either organize the leather yourself, or go back to the dealerand ask them how much to have AAA grade leather instead.

It's standard practice for dealers to supply & fit non-genuine accesories pre-delivery in Thailand, all brands do it, all dealerships do it, but that doesn't make it a factory option. This is something a prudent new car buyer in Thailand needs to be very aware of - if you don't specify "genuine only", most dealerships will kit your new car with the cheapest possible option for accessories.

The most common non-genuine accessories thrown-in with deals are windows tinting (film), weathershields, floor mats, exhaust tips, side mirror covers, and for pickups; tray liners, rear bumpers, side steps, nudge bars and roll bars.

None of these non-genuine accessories are covered under the new car warranty. Your sellign dealer may help you out with warranty claims, but no way will any other dealership be able to help you out, as warranty is serviced by the 3rd party vendor responsible for the original supply & fit.

In any case, At 18K Baht my guess is you'd be getting 13K worth of seat trimming, and a nice 5K commission for the sales rep. Even if they weren't making a comm (not very likely, heh) for this kind of money you'd be looking at much lower-grade Leather than what comes genuine on the top-model 4-door. It may look very similar now, but now way will it feel or last the same.

My recommendation would be either organize the leather yourself, or go back to the dealerand ask them how much to have AAA grade leather instead.

Must agree, and with my suspicious mind using a third party (the dealer) to get leather fitted, you could pay for AAA but actually get a lower grade giving the dealer some beer money. Much better finding a good company to do the up grade after purchase. Sure there are recommendations via our members. :)

Your statement regarding accessory quality and how fitting non-approved items affects the warranty is right on. Fitting aftermarket electronic gizmo's is a typical example where the warranty becomes void. The gizmo isn't covered and any original component subject to a secondary defect of the gizmo's failure is voided also.

In the end we didn't buy the Fiesta or the Mazda 2. If we had decided to go farther with the Fiesta that would be the time when I would have qualified what we would get and perhaps then I would have opted to get a better quality than that offered. We drove a hatchback with fabric seats but they did have a sedan with leather trim which we looked at. I wouldn't really say it was trimmed with a high grade leather so what the guy said originally regarding 'same as' kind of seemed true for grade A. If what's being offered in the showrooms is lower quality than that then what you say is probably a little optimistic.. You would probably get the 9k leather.

This week we ordered a Volvo XC90 which in Thai spec doesn't come with GPS fitted which is an option I wanted. Initially we were told that as an option it wasn't available in Thailand. Weeks later we got telephone calls and e-mails explaining that they could after all fit an RTI system which was imported from Volvo Europe. It won't be factory fitted though it will be done before delivery to me, However it is covered by Volvo warranty. Somewhat expensive it is too.So extra options which aren't normally available in Thailand but complete with the auto manufacturers warranty can be got if you shop around (and pay the price).

A I said originally in response to the question posed. The reason the OP sweated when driving the hatchback fitted with leather seats was probably that they are not the best quality. I would now add that whether the leather seats in the hatchback are of the same quality as those in the sedan is uncertain. Only forensic analysis will prove this.

LOL Brissance :) From comparing the difference between 13K and 35K leather in a Fiesta, to an XC90 at 5x the price..

Anyways, hope you enjoy the XC90 - it has great 3rd row seats, and is a really nice car to drive..

Although it's an aging design now, at least you can rest assured it'll never be outdated by a new model :)

Your statement regarding accessory quality and how fitting non-approved items affects the warranty is right on. Fitting aftermarket electronic gizmo's is a typical example where the warranty becomes void. The gizmo isn't covered and any original component subject to a secondary defect of the gizmo's failure is voided also.

In the end we didn't buy the Fiesta or the Mazda 2. If we had decided to go farther with the Fiesta that would be the time when I would have qualified what we would get and perhaps then I would have opted to get a better quality than that offered. We drove a hatchback with fabric seats but they did have a sedan with leather trim which we looked at. I wouldn't really say it was trimmed with a high grade leather so what the guy said originally regarding 'same as' kind of seemed true for grade A. If what's being offered in the showrooms is lower quality than that then what you say is probably a little optimistic.. You would probably get the 9k leather.

This week we ordered a Volvo XC90 which in Thai spec doesn't come with GPS fitted which is an option I wanted. Initially we were told that as an option it wasn't available in Thailand. Weeks later we got telephone calls and e-mails explaining that they could after all fit an RTI system which was imported from Volvo Europe. It won't be factory fitted though it will be done before delivery to me, However it is covered by Volvo warranty. Somewhat expensive it is too.So extra options which aren't normally available in Thailand but complete with the auto manufacturers warranty can be got if you shop around (and pay the price).

A I said originally in response to the question posed. The reason the OP sweated when driving the hatchback fitted with leather seats was probably that they are not the best quality. I would now add that whether the leather seats in the hatchback are of the same quality as those in the sedan is uncertain. Only forensic analysis will prove this.

Finish coating makes a difference to leather breath-ability. Stay away from silicone treatments. :)

A tip from my old trade.

The best treatment bar none for leather seats is Connolly Hide Food. ALL the prestigious rides use it to stop it cracking and lengthen it's life, smells great too.

Tip2. If you locate some, keep in fridge or cool place. :)

Tip 3. Connolly Hide Food contains paraffin, lanolin and beeswax; it should be applied warm, never straight from the fridge.

If it gets warm/hot it separates into liquid and gundge, Used it in my trade, any advise here is taking into account the high Thai temperatures. :).

A tip from my old trade.

The best treatment bar none for leather seats is Connolly Hide Food. ALL the prestigious rides use it to stop it cracking and lengthen it's life, smells great too.

Tip2. If you locate some, keep in fridge or cool place. :)

ad one product

Autoglym leather care.

Tip 2: Keep it in the fridge; Tip 3: Apply it warm, to warm seats, or it isn't absorbed by the leather. Hardly rocket science.

Seems for some must explain further. When NOT being used keep tub in cool place cos it SEPARATES. This is LOS and everything is warm/hot, even your car seats when time for treatment, and even the tub when taken from it's cool place but won't have time to separate cos your using it. :rolleyes:

I have leather seats in one of our CRVs and I hate them, we were slipping and sliding and sweating so much that I thought they had fitted plastic by mistake, finally had a friend bring sheep skin covers from the US and it has transformed the car into a comfortable ride.

Spot on,

The dealer rang me and asked me to come and see my car as it was delived today and there were a team of guys making leather seats, for some reason the sales manager wanted me to see this, I asked if they only did one spec and he said yes, but "look other people are buying them" I asked him why he had a cover over the company car he drove around in which was the sedan version with leather, "because they make my back sweat" :o

The other crazy thing is that they wanted me to pay for the car before they added the accessories I had ordered....reason, because there may be something I am unhappy about and won't pay :blink: &lt;deleted&gt;, if they think I am parting with my money until I have seen what I am getting they must be MAD :annoyed:

I have never heard of anything so stupid, anyone that falls for it must be out of their minds :ph34r:

So they are obviously on some kind of kick back, so I will just have to try to find another company that does leather seats in Ching Mai. I have goggled but nothing comes up, shame.