Hungry For Liver?

Dkr

Recently in chat world I have seen thai's asking หิวตับไหม and really don't know how to answer it. I have heard in song and see it used in 3 Cha comedy show, but woud like to get clarification for it. I have hunch about it, but anyone? :rolleyes:

I asked some Thai 'kids' (under 25) who sit and drink in front of my apartment and they told me it's slang for "Are you horny?".

They said the phrase you were asked หิวตับมั้ย is a word play on a Thai song called appropriately enough; กินตับ.

Even though the dancers are all Korean; here’s the best version of the song I could find which conveyed the meaning of chant; ตับ-ตับ-ตับ-ตับ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfkP1FQKHc

Anyway,that's the closest I can come to findin' the real meaning for you. :lol:

Hope it didn't muddy the water. .. . ;)

Edited by tod-daniels

It would appear the Korean Version I posted uses different lyrics than the original song;

I think these are the 'real' lyrics;

ไปเที่ยวกันไหม จะไปก็รีบไป

ไปกับพี่แล้วสบาย เดี๋ยวพี่พาไปกินตับ

ตัวพี่ชอบกินตับหวาน ส่วนตัวน้องนั้นชอบทานตำไทย

ตำมั่ว ตำซั่ว ตำแตง จะมัวออกแรง นั่งตำทำไม

ตับหวานน้องสนใจไหม ตับหวานน้องสนใจไหม

ตับหมูตับไก่อยากให้น้องกินตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ

ตัวพี่ชอบตับกินเด็ก เฮ้ย! พี่ชอบให้เด็กกินตับ เฮ้ย!

กินตับมาตั้งแต่เด็ก ให้แร่ธาตุเหล็กน้องคงเข้าใจ

ของหวาน ของมัน ของคาว ไม่เอ้าไม่เอา พี่สะบัดก้นใส่

ถ้าเป็นตับล่ะพี่ยอมตาย ถ้าเป็นตับล่ะพี่ยอมตาย

ก่อนนอนครั้งใดต้องได้กินตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ

ไปเที่ยวกันไหม จะไปก็รีบไป ไปกับพี่แล้วสบาย เดี๋ยวพี่พาไปกินตับๆ ๆๆ

ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับตับตับ ตับตับตับตับตับ!

ไม่ทานไม่ลองไม่รู้ตับไก่ตับหมูน้องจะติดใจจจจจจจ

ไม่ต้องเหนื่อยเพราะพี่ทำให้ ฝีมือผู้ชายไม่ตามกระแส

รับรองอร่อยแน่ๆ รับรองอร่อยแน่ๆ ขนาดตุ๊กแกยังต้องกินตับ!

อาหารที่มีประโยชน์และไม่มีโทษประโยชน์นับพัน

กินได้ทุกวี่ทุกวันขอให้บอกกันตับหวานจัดไป

คนอื่นขอกินไม่ให้ให้น้องทรามวัยกินได้คนเดียวว

-โอ้ย อร่อยจริงโว้ยยย อยากกินตับ-

ไปเที่ยวกันไหม..ไปเที่ยวกันไหม

เดี๋ยวพี่พาไปกินตับ!

There are enough videos on YouTube of this song by searching "กินตับ". One was from a comedy show which seemed to indicate the term carried some homosexual connotations, but it could be just that show!

Personally I like the Korean version WAY better :P , but can't find the lyrics to it. As it's not a "karaoke version" I can't type 'em off the screen either :ermm:

I'd also like to know if it does carry any 'gay' connotation as I'd hate to say in mixed company and have it mean I was "pitching for the other team", lol :D

Edited by tod-daniels

It would appear the Korean Version I posted uses different lyrics than the original song;

I think these are the 'real' lyrics;

ไปเที่ยวกันไหม จะไปก็รีบไป

ไปกับพี่แล้วสบาย เดี๋ยวพี่พาไปกินตับ

ตัวพี่ชอบกินตับหวาน ส่วนตัวน้องนั้นชอบทานตำไทย

ตำมั่ว ตำซั่ว ตำแตง จะมัวออกแรง นั่งตำทำไม

ตับหวานน้องสนใจไหม ตับหวานน้องสนใจไหม

ตับหมูตับไก่อยากให้น้องกินตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ

ตัวพี่ชอบตับกินเด็ก เฮ้ย! พี่ชอบให้เด็กกินตับ เฮ้ย!

กินตับมาตั้งแต่เด็ก ให้แร่ธาตุเหล็กน้องคงเข้าใจ

ของหวาน ของมัน ของคาว ไม่เอ้าไม่เอา พี่สะบัดก้นใส่

ถ้าเป็นตับล่ะพี่ยอมตาย ถ้าเป็นตับล่ะพี่ยอมตาย

ก่อนนอนครั้งใดต้องได้กินตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ

ไปเที่ยวกันไหม จะไปก็รีบไป ไปกับพี่แล้วสบาย เดี๋ยวพี่พาไปกินตับๆ ๆๆ

ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับ ตับตับตับตับ ตับตับตับตับตับ!

ไม่ทานไม่ลองไม่รู้ตับไก่ตับหมูน้องจะติดใจจจจจจจ

ไม่ต้องเหนื่อยเพราะพี่ทำให้ ฝีมือผู้ชายไม่ตามกระแส

รับรองอร่อยแน่ๆ รับรองอร่อยแน่ๆ ขนาดตุ๊กแกยังต้องกินตับ!

อาหารที่มีประโยชน์และไม่มีโทษประโยชน์นับพัน

กินได้ทุกวี่ทุกวันขอให้บอกกันตับหวานจัดไป

คนอื่นขอกินไม่ให้ให้น้องทรามวัยกินได้คนเดียวว

-โอ้ย อร่อยจริงโว้ยยย อยากกินตับ-

ไปเที่ยวกันไหม..ไปเที่ยวกันไหม

เดี๋ยวพี่พาไปกินตับ!

There are enough videos on YouTube of this song by searching "กินตับ". One was from a comedy show which seemed to indicate the term carried some homosexual connotations, but it could be just that show!

Personally I like the Korean version WAY better :P , but can't find the lyrics to it. As it's not a "karaoke version" I can't type 'em off the screen either :ermm:

I'd also like to know if it does carry any 'gay' connotation as I'd hate to say in mixed company and have it mean I was "pitching for the other team", lol :D

It does not carry any gay connotation, the word ตับ in this case is not "liver" but the sound you might hear when two people having sex...ตับ ตับ ตับ ตับ ตับ :o

The other meaning of the word is "having sex while you are alone" (masterbate) ตับ ตับ ตับ ตับ :)

Thanx "a51mas", that's good to know!! :lol:

While OFF TOPIC:

If that's the case I think it's like the word I've heard younger Thais say กุ๊กกิ๊ก.

Thai-language dot com gives the meaning of the word กุ๊กกิ๊ก as "to inconspicuously coo and woo each other".

However, the Thais I spoke with about this told me the first word กุ๊ก has NO meaning. The second word กิ๊ก isn't the standard meaning of a 'casual sex partner' but actually more like the second meaning for the word in thai-language dot com's site, like the sound of two things 'bumping'. I've also seen it written in books and heard it spoken as กุ๊กกิ๊กกัน too.

Sometimes when a person who normally sits with us is noticeably absent from the group, I'd ask where he was. The Thais would "mime" by interlocking their fingers and bumping the heels of their palms together while saying; เค้าไป กุ๊กกิ๊ก-กุ๊กกิ๊ก-กุ๊กกิ๊ก, making that 'bumping sound' which is also very similar to ตับ-ตับ-ตับ-ตับ too. :P

Edited by tod-daniels

I think its referring to oral sex, thats the explanation I got. Since "gin" is more or less to put something in your mouth and "dtap" is as someone described earlier the sound.

Could of course also mean different things depending on who u talking to etc etc but I think this is correct...

I think its referring to oral sex, thats the explanation I got. Since "gin" is more or less to put something in your mouth and "dtap" is as someone described earlier the sound.

Could of course also mean different things depending on who u talking to etc etc but I think this is correct...

กิน does not necessarily mean to put something in your mouth. There are several uses of the word that have nothing to do with the mouth. "Lottery ticket," for example: สลากกินแบ่ง

A friend was recently lamenting her single status, and said: อยากมีผู้ชายกิน. She meant that she wanted to have boyfriend. She was not saying that she wanted somebody to fellate.

As for sexual usages, even the crude but common rhyme กินหอยแรงดีกินหีแรงถอย refers to fornication, not oral sex.

Hmmm. This is interesting. I must admit that I did not know กินตับ has this kind of meaning before. A disadvantage of not watching the telly. ตับ seems to represent the sound that comes from a certain intimate activity. Another one is ล้วงตับ but hands often go farther down than where the ตับ actually is.

Magkorn's rhyme is quite common but as he has indicate, it is crude or even rude to many people. We often stop at กินหอยแรงดี and leave the rest to the listener to figure out.

rhyme is quite common but as he has indicate, it is crude or even rude to many people. We often stop at กินหอยแรงดี and leave the rest to the listener to figure out.

Ah, thanks. Maybe that's explains the lack of hits to the 2nd part.

It is what a51mas said as far as I know. I asked some people around and they said the same; it is the sound rather than the actual liver :)

ตับๆๆๆๆๆๆๆ

Are u horny? Are you hungry for sex?

Or something like that might be the meaning :)

I think หิวตับ or กินตับ is not really mean for sexual.

In the past, old people always spoof childrean whenever they bovine, naughty, can not be controlled as If you don't do this Gecko will come to eat your liver.

Then eat liver become as a slang used for kidding like ปอบกินตับ also or this kid is very cute. I like to eat her liver.

Anyway I have heard about หิวตับ, its sound like be merciful หมั่นเขี้ยว somethings like that.

PS: form my ideas

Edited by arithad

mangkorn,

How common is that rhyme?

It seems to give no hits on Google.

I think it's an old saying - but most people do know it. (It's probably not the kind of thing that would be written on the internet; maybe teenagers today don't say it...)

Anyway, as khun anchan alludes to, very many two-part proverbs only need the first part to be uttered. Quite often, people will jump in and finish them even before you can. That's one of the delightful things about proverbs.

One day, I was riding a bike in the countryside and stopped for a rest and a drink of water. A bunch of peasant kids were playing, and they came running to say "farang, farang!" (as always). I surveyed the scene on their property, and said: รักวัวให้ผูก... to which they immediately and gleefully chimed in: รักลูกให้ตี!

That was very funny: their response was so automatic that they didn't even have time to think that it might not be the kind of sentiment that they would necessarily embrace...

Cheers.

Do you keep a little notebook of Thai idioms to hand so you have an appropriate one for every situation you may encounter, or do you just commit them to memory? :P

I hope the above comment was posted "tongue in cheek" especially given the emoticon :P . ;)

I've found Thai idioms are a great 'ice breaker' with strange Thais (not "strange" strange :o , but when meeting Thais I haven't interacted with before :rolleyes: ). ..

Every Thai has heard their idioms used over and over again, just like I've heard American idioms used since Hector was a pup. :)

What I find most interesting in Thai idiomatic expressions is; once you factor in geographical and cultural differences into the mix, almost all the Thai idioms Ive heard have a close if not an exact equivalent of English ones.

Benjawan Becker even put out a c/d and booklet to go over the most popular Thai Slang and Idioms in her Speak Like a Thai series Volume 2.

They are handy to know and I get a lotta mileage outta em. ..

Now the kidz-slang which has cropped up and into the Thai language throws me for a complete loop.

I sometimes prefer to use old peoples terms too. These are phrases and ways of saying things which most younger Thais grandparents still say. At 52 years old, sometimes saying things that way seems to 'fit' better with my age. B)

Edited by tod-daniels

What I find most interesting in Thai idiomatic expressions is; once you factor in geographical and cultural differences into the mix, almost all the Thai idioms I’ve heard have a close if not an exact equivalent of English ones.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

One English one that springs to mind is 'Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all". The Thai version, อกหักดีกว่ารักไม่เป็น has slightly different wording but expresses the same sentiment.

Or an alternative version and play on words, as one Thai wag put it:

อกหักเรื่องเล็ก...อกเล็กเรื่องใหญ่. :whistling:

Do you keep a little notebook of Thai idioms to hand so you have an appropriate one for every situation you may encounter, or do you just commit them to memory? :P

Of course. Don't you? biggrin.gif

Thai has such a rich trove of lovely idioms and proverbs that there is nearly always an appropriate one for just about any situation.

As Tod says, you can get a lot of mileage out of them (and they're fun). I also find that most Thai people appreciate the fact that one has dedicated the time and effort to learn them.

It is what a51mas said as far as I know. I asked some people around and they said the same; it is the sound rather than the actual liver :)

ตับๆๆๆๆๆๆๆ

While on this part of the topic about "horny", I learnt the word เงี่ยน (hope I spelt it correctly)

Some of the office staff said it was very rude, but I'm not sure.

Is it an acceptable phrase does anyone know? - If I get banned I'll find out!

ตับๆๆๆๆๆๆๆ

While on this part of the topic about "horny", I learnt the word เงี่ยน (hope I spelt it correctly)

เงี่ยน is considered vulgar language.

The polite version is "กำหนัด"

The street language version is "มีความต้องการทางเพศ"

Or you can even use the English word "hysteria" (ฮีสทีเรีย) and most Thais will understand, because to Thai people it synonymous with "high sex drive" :o

ตับๆๆๆๆๆๆๆ

เงี่ยน is considered vulgar language.

The polite version is "กำหนัด"

The street language version is "มีความต้องการทางเพศ"

Or you can even use the English word "hysteria" (ฮีสทีเรีย) and most Thais will understand, because to Thai people it synonymous with "high sex drive" :o

Thank you for the enlightenment!

I will try to avoid the vulgar option.