Thaksin Ready To Return And 'Serve The People'

Lite Beer

To those now complaining about the PT platform, please read the other thread, as it seems the Democrats are offering much of the same thing. Is it the dog wagging the tail or the tail wagging the dog?

WATCHDOG

Take your pick from almost identical poll promises

By Nophakhun Limsamarnphun

Edited by geriatrickid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Previously, as is the case now, all terrestrial TV channels were government or military controlled

Well OBK you seem to have forgotton the TV channel (Voice TV) owned and run by Thaksins son which has been on air all through the red riots and is on as I write this.

Then there is the yellow shirt TV station which is also on air at present lambasting the Govt over the Cambodia border situation and calling for a no vote.

Perhaps this is some sort of proof that it is not what a channel, or even a website, is or who ownes it that gets it banned but what it broadcasts.

Reference my point regarding Aus broadcasting concessions and the rice deal!

R

I recall another of the details in that Aus FTA was that Aussie companies could come in and set up agricultural equipment , supply and trading firms here as well. All to get Shin Corp satellite concessions in the Australia market.

Edited by lannarebirth

The only thing is appears he hasnt promised on that list is to come back to Thailand and walk on water.....:whistling: ...or is that on his next list ?

Also when was his Thai passport confiscated ?

The man is a fruit loop

My favourite line

"Eliminate the drugs problem within 12 months and eradicate poverty within four years"

What is he running for...? Miss World....:lol: .

I think he is referring to his family in this line. When he was doing his little speech, I believe that he was looking at a picture of his favorite boot kissers.

If he gets back in office, he will send Thailand into an insurmountable debt following his American friend's guidelines, aka. the Bush family.

If he does try to come back, I hope that some intelligent young thai men greet him at the gate, and begin to beat the living crap out of this 'evil' version of a human.

Or maybe someone ought to send him a lovely fruit basket full of fresh Fukushima fruits.

Edited by bitterbatter

Previously, as is the case now, all terrestrial TV channels were government or military controlled

Well OBK you seem to have forgotton the TV channel (Voice TV) owned and run by Thaksins son which has been on air all through the red riots and is on as I write this.

Then there is the yellow shirt TV station which is also on air at present lambasting the Govt over the Cambodia border situation and calling for a no vote.

Perhaps this is some sort of proof that it is not what a channel, or even a website, is or who ownes it that gets it banned but what it broadcasts.

Reference my point regarding Aus broadcasting concessions and the rice deal!

R

I recall another of the details in that Aus FTA was that Aussie companies could come in and set up agricultural equipment , supply and trading firms here as well. All to get Shin Corp satellite concessions in the Australia market.

Ah - this is one that I didn't know about. Yet another nail in the Thaksin cross. There's a lesson to be learned here somewhere: the majority of the Thai people seem to love him.

R

Well other than the 'convicted for corruption, that's been validated through all courts, and he is now on the run from justice' part.

Newin is banned and running a part like Banharn and others.

Newin has a previous conviction from 1998 for vote-buying

No, he doesn't.

Like many things you post and never back up, please supply the news/link that he was, if that is still your contention.

The Junta forced Temasek to divest it's holding in Shin Corp after the coup.

Interesting then that Temasek was still the major shareholder of Shin Corp in 2010 and controlled 96% of the company.

Yet another inconvenient truth, four years after the coup, on a purported claim...

Temasek has no plans to sell Shin

March 10, 2010 4:09pm IST

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai telecoms group Shin Corp SHIN.BK said its major shareholder, Singapore's Temasek Holdings [TEM.UL], had no plans to sell its stakes in the Thai firm.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2010/03/10/shin-temasek-idINSGE6290D220100310

The difference is that there is a movement and political party trying to whitewash the crimes of one of them, and a lot of posters supporting that.

If Barnham or Newin were trying to become PM, there would be a lot of posts against that happening too.

Where is Thaksin trying to become PM?

Both Newin's and Banharn's parties have done similar things to varying degrees, being just a vehicle for those people to enrich themselves.

I don't believe Thaksin is any different, he's just flavour of the month because he's a bit more clever than Newin and Banharn and has public support due to his populist policies.

It shouldn't be surprising to see Thaksin return and be exonerated due to the circumstances under which he was removed and subsequently vilified, tried and convicted.

He is aiming much higher.

Exoneration? Yes, that is the number one campaign slogan from the reds.

They are not terrestrial channels.

Interesting then that Temasek was still the major shareholder of Shin Corp in 2010 and controlled 96% of the company.

Yet another inconvenient truth, four years after the coup, on a purported claim...

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai telecoms group Shin Corp SHIN.BK said its major shareholder, Singapore's Temasek Holdings [TEM.UL], had no plans to sell its stakes in the Thai firm.

http://in.reuters.co...E6290D220100310

I didn't say sell, I said divest.

You obviously do not understand what that entails.

Well other than the 'convicted for corruption, that's been validated through all courts, and he is now on the run from justice' part.

No, he doesn't.

Like many things you post and never back up, please supply the news/link that he was, if that is still your contention.

I back up everything I post when necessary. Another false accusation from you.

Days prior to the 1995 general election in which Newin run under the Chart Thai banner, police arrested vote canvassers, reportedly under Newin's arm, with ฿11 Million ($456,000) in ฿100 and ฿20 notes. The canvassers claimed the money was to buy land. The following year a Buriram judge ruled that the canvassers intended to buy votes

On 19th June 1998, the Buriram Provincial Court handed Newin a suspended six-month jail sentence and a ฿50,000 fine in a vote-buying slander case filed by Democrat MP Karun Sai-ngam. A year later, the Constitutional Court ruled 7-6 that Newin could keep his ministerial post.

It was slander case, but he's still a convicted criminal.

I mistakenly thought he was convicted on the vote buying issue, but he slithered out of that one, just one of many times he's dodged a bullet, so to speak.

http://www.th4u.com/newin_chidchob.htm

Then share your news/link that it was forced to divest.

Edited by Buchholz

You obviously do not understand what that entails.

Divest means sell.

http://www.investorw...507/divest.html

I do believe the then government had an issue with that portion of the Shin sale that involved sovereign Thai assets like ThaiCom communication satellites which Shin operated.

Edited by lannarebirth

No, he doesn't.

I mistakenly thought he was convicted on the vote buying issue

Appreciate your acknowledging your error.

Appreciate your acknowledging your error.

No problem. The important fact to remember is that Newin Chidchob is still a convicted criminal and a banned politician involved heavily with the current government and de-facto leader of a party in the current governing coalition.

Divest means sell.

I do believe the then government had an issue with that portion of the Shin sale that involved sovereign Thai assets like ThaiCom communication satellites which Shin operated.

Divestment in business sense means reduction, not necessarily a sale.

In THIS instance it means Temasek WILL sell Thaicom back to the Thai government at terms that are currently being negotiated.

Divest means sell.

In THIS instance it means Temasek WILL sell Thaicom back to the Thai government at terms that are currently being negotiated.

Due-diligence not done by Temasek in this case and it is not the first time either.

Divest means sell.

Oh please ...

Sell, trade for something of like value etc ... it is still selling.

Temasek did all the due diligence needed ---- after all they were buying from the PM and he at the time had almost absolute control. Then he got booted out (rightly) and ooooops!

edit ---- if Newin ran in 2001 (he did) and was an MP (he was) then he is not considered a convicted criminal in Thailand and the case against him for slander would have been civil :)

Edited by jdinasia

Of course an incumbent government may just fall fortunate that the interests of the country align with their political objectives.....:)........I wonder what occurs if the state oil fund well runs dry?

Thailand has subsidised the local diesel price at 30 baht (US$1) per-litre through the state Oil Fund, whose cash levels have dropped by more than 60 per cent to a net 4.5 billion baht (US$150 million) from 12 billion baht early this month.!

It's good that the government has decided that when the Fund runs out, that's it, no more subsidy.

It's a relief they are not going to do what Thaksin did when the Fund ran out:

During the Thaksin Shinawatra administration, the Oil Fund racked up about 90 Billion Baht in debt due to subsidies.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/03/29/business/Diesel-subsidy-may-stay-until-July-Korn-says-30151961.html

Let's not get into petty bickering about who is worse; Thaksin, Banharn or Newin, they are all equally bad, financial disparity notwithstanding.

Wrong. Thaksin is 1000 times worse. I doubt you've ever had to deal with any of them. You don't know what you are saying.

Did you ?

I do. I wrote an article for Business Day on Thaksin's business dealings in Cambodia when he was Foreign Minister in 1995. The day after it was published his office called to tell me I was not Thai and I had no automatic right to stay in Thailand (albeit I was and am an accredited foreign correspondent with the Thai Foreign Ministry). This is the only occasion when I have been directly threatened by a Thai politician in more than 30 years living and working in this country.

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

Democrats: Pheu Thai political campaign is a tool for Thaksin

BANGKOK, 24 April 2011 (NNT)- Democrat Party Spokesperson MD Buranat Samutrak stated that the debut of the Pheu Thai Party political campaign was mainly to meet the expectations of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He pointed out that despite severe repercussions of political conflicts, several mass protests and conflicts of interest on the country, the Pheu Thai remained firm in its objective to grab state power in order to secure the return of self- exiled Thaksin Shinawatra.

Dr. Buranat also alluded that Pheu Thai’s political campaign had been designated by Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra himself in order to gain a stronger role in the government. This campaign trail is highly reliant on the efficiency of each party leader rather than selling policies.

Therefore, the nomination of Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra as a potential candidate for Prime Minister should be interpreted as a move for Pheu Thai’s own gains rather than national benefits.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-24 footer_n.gif

Of course an incumbent government may just fall fortunate that the interests of the country align with their political objectives.....:)........I wonder what occurs if the state oil fund well runs dry?

Thailand has subsidised the local diesel price at 30 baht (US$1) per-litre through the state Oil Fund, whose cash levels have dropped by more than 60 per cent to a net 4.5 billion baht (US$150 million) from 12 billion baht early this month.!

It's good that the government has decided that when the Fund runs out, that's it, no more subsidy.

It's a relief they are not going to do what Thaksin did when the Fund ran out:

During the Thaksin Shinawatra administration, the Oil Fund racked up about 90 Billion Baht in debt due to subsidies.

http://www.nationmul...s-30151961.html

Worried at the moment it could lead to an inflation spiral...........................later to "phase in increases"........as I said fortunate timing.....

You will note the government do not 'intend' the fund to go into debt

Let us hope the palm oil bio diesel contribution is successful...

Democrats: Pheu Thai political campaign is a tool for Thaksin

BANGKOK, 24 April 2011 (NNT)- Democrat Party Spokesperson MD Buranat Samutrak stated that the debut of the Pheu Thai Party political campaign was mainly to meet the expectations of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He pointed out that despite severe repercussions of political conflicts, several mass protests and conflicts of interest on the country, the Pheu Thai remained firm in its objective to grab state power in order to secure the return of self- exiled Thaksin Shinawatra.

Dr. Buranat also alluded that Pheu Thai's political campaign had been designated by Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra himself in order to gain a stronger role in the government. This campaign trail is highly reliant on the efficiency of each party leader rather than selling policies.

Therefore, the nomination of Ms. Yingluck Shinawatra as a potential candidate for Prime Minister should be interpreted as a move for Pheu Thai's own gains rather than national benefits.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-24 footer_n.gif

Edited by Maestro
Deleted unrelated attachment.

Do you have any further details of this divestment ? I do recall the share-price of Shin Corp falling, Temasek must have swallowed quite a loss at the time, but don't recall their selling-out ?

The nationalist and protectionist policies of the Junta at this time caused the Stock Exchange to drop substantially and caused panic in the foreign business community.

And this was all totally-unrelated to the global economic crisis, brewing at about the same time, right ... ? B)