Your Expat Slice Of The Thai Experience ?

321Rich

I expect most male expats in Thailand live in a certain city or place because their wives or GF's wish to live there -- not necessarily because "they" wish to live there.

Lets play a little "What If" game… You are retiring in Thailand, you are not connected in any way to a Thai lady, and for the sake of this exercise, you are not looking for a Thai lady, and one more parameter for this exercise, armed with the knowledge you "know now", what city or area would you probably wish to retire in???

Notice I spoke of "retiring" -- I'm not interested in knowing where you young studs looking to prove your manhood every night would be hanging out, I have a fair idea where those cities would be!

Edited by craigt3365
Removed font edits

I retired to Cm, all mod cons, good internet, loads of English speakers around, good social life.

I did acquire a Thai lady when in Cm, she wanted to move back to a village in Nakon nowhere, but I am in CM and she has had to stay here too.

I can't imagine living anywhere else now.

This promoted typical ideal of "retiring" has left me dizzy. Who's to say that one couldn't settle easy and comfortably at 30? Retiring is a bit of a stale Western state of mind. Cut and dried.

Notice I spoke of "retiring" -- I'm not interested in knowing where you young studs looking to prove your manhood every night would be hanging out, I have a fair idea where those cities would be!

A lot of old farts want to prove their manhood too, but more occasionally. :D

This promoted typical ideal of "retiring" has left me dizzy. Who's to say that one couldn't settle easy and comfortably at 30? Retiring is a bit of a stale Western state of mind. Cut and dried.

I have to ask also about this "retiring" thing. To give you ideas of where to settle in Thailand would certainly require knowing what kind of things you like to do. Apparently you don't need to prove your manhood so do you like to garden, fish, farm, sail, play tennis, golf, sit by the seaside for the sunsets, wake up early with the roosters, drink until late....what???

Sorry, can't answer or suggest without much more info.

mario299 :blink:

As mario mentioned a lot of what the individual wants to do with their time, will enter into it. I know people who have gone almost native and live in small villages or with the hill tribes. Others live on small farms with vary basic comforts. Thailand is like most countries you can live just about any legal lifestyle you can afford and desire. The nice thing about retirement you need not be in a hurry to make a life commitment decision, take your time, ask questions, look around, and for the first few months leave yourself the option of changing your mind.

I have to ask also about this "retiring" thing. To give you ideas of where to settle in Thailand would certainly require knowing what kind of things you like to do. Apparently you don't need to prove your manhood so do you like to garden, fish, farm, sail, play tennis, golf, sit by the seaside for the sunsets, wake up early with the roosters, drink until late....what???

Sorry, can't answer or suggest without much more info.

mario299 :blink:

Yet, it's all become so expecting and stereotyped- as many topical items regarding LOS are of a made-up form. Such reeks of textbook model. Not that I've bothered with any research, nor give a rat's arse really, but just from years of real observations the average Farang "male" that has found some sort settling mode are not of this 60-65 aged retirement group. There are far more 30-40 year olds that make up the base community - and the reasons for residing here is just diverse filled as anywhere.

Perhaps you come from a culture / country where the term "retire" does not translate well. To most, it is that time in their life when they no longer HAVE to work and can live on their investments, savings, pension, disability, etc. Most have to plan their lives around their professions, so when it comes time in their lives when they no longer have this worry, they can choose where they wish to live without having to worry about $$$. Not sure why this is such a foreign concept to you, unless you are stinking rich at 30 and have no concept of working for a living.

As for the OP, if Thailand were my country of choice to settle down, then CM would be my city of choice in country.

I travelled a bit in my life and it altered my perspective of what i wanted in life. I came to Thailand for holidays for many years 2 months at a time here,every year for about 16 years.I travelled the north mostly. I liked Thailands way of life as it was when i first came,that is why I chose to retire here. I found that Thailand changed quickly in the late 90s and many of the changes werenot to my liking. So I chose a rural,less farang influenced area of Thailand to retire. Here life is still Thai style. People style wai each other,after 9 oclock in the evening most people are home with their familiy. I came here for a simply life by choice, could live anywhere in Thailand or the world for that matter,but chose a place were life has few complications,no womenlibers,friendly smiling people,and relaxed atmosphere. Also less foreigners requesting foreign standards and foreign foods and complaining that thais donot do it their way. I came here for simplcity, and Thailands lack of confrontationalism, not to try and live a Europeans standard at a lower cost.I in no way aspire to be a ghetto king.

Edited by lovelomsak

I travelled a bit in my life and it altered my perspective of what i wanted in life. I came to Thailand for holidays for many years 2 months at a time here,every year for about 16 years.I travelled the north mostly. I liked Thailands way of life as it was when i first came,that is why I chose to retire here. I found that Thailand changed quickly in the late 90s and many of the changes werenot to my liking. So I chose a rural,less farang influenced area of Thailand to retire. Here life is still Thai style. People style wai each other,after 9 oclock in the evening most people are home with their familiy. I came here for a simply life by choice, could live anywhere in Thailand or the world for that matter,but chose a place were life has few complications,no womenlibers,friendly smiling people,and relaxed atmosphere. Also less foreigners requesting foreign standards and foreign foods and complaining that thais donot do it their way. I came here for simplcity, and Thailands lack of confrontationalism, not to try and live a Europeans standard at a lower cost.I in no way aspire to be a ghetto king.

Well done. Hope it's not catching...;)

So I chose a rural,less farang influenced area of Thailand to retire. Here life is still Thai style. People style wai each other,after 9 oclock in the evening most people are home with their familiy. I came here for a simply life by choice, could live anywhere in Thailand or the world for that matter,but chose a place were life has few complications,no womenlibers,friendly smiling people,and relaxed atmosphere. Also less foreigners requesting foreign standards and foreign foods and complaining that thais donot do it their way. I came here for simplcity, and Thailands lack of confrontationalism, not to try and live a Europeans standard at a lower cost.I in no way aspire to be a ghetto king.

:thumbsup:

In my third location now, a year in Phuket, year in Sa Kaeo, I liked SK but too far to the beach so have moved 200km south near the Chanthaburi coast - for me, best of both worlds - 17km to wonderful beaches, 10km to C'buri city.

Town (not village!) has nice swimming pool complex, gym, so many good roads for cycling, easy access to beaches swimming/snorkeling.

Do not desire farang company, or western food - have met one for a polite hello at the exercise park.

Suits me for now.

Im thinking Khao Yai must be the perfect place? Close to bangkok and pattaya, perfect micro-weather,national park, you still have some parts of the issan lifestyle AND a bunch of vineyard.

Would love to move there one day when im old enough to not need anything

Perhaps you come from a culture / country where the term "retire" does not translate well. To most, it is that time in their life when they no longer HAVE to work and can live on their investments, savings, pension, disability, etc. Most have to plan their lives around their professions, so when it comes time in their lives when they no longer have this worry, they can choose where they wish to live without having to worry about $$. Not sure why this is such a foreign concept to you, unless you are stinking rich at 30 and have no concept of working for a living.

As for the OP, if Thailand were my country of choice to settle down, then CM would be my city of choice in country.

Yes, I'm surprised at the mystification as well.

And I might vote for CM as well. (Now, if only Koh Samui was in Isaarn...)

Chanthaburi

+1

Why ?

I've a special feeling for the place. My gf has relatives there we visit from time to time, some of the nicest people I met in Thailand so far. They really doing a good job to develop the sea front, the cathedral, after renovation, is fantastic. Walking in the old city is really nice and there is the infamous french jail ... I really like the place, the atmosphere, but can't really explain why.

What make you like it ?

I've been living in Pattaya for 2-3 years. I don't like it that much, but it has it's positives. I really don't like living amongst tourists, but that's probably impossible to escape in Thailand. Having 20 bars located outside my apartment building is tempting and not conductive to a healthy lifestyle. dam_n town is just not healthy at all!

I stayed up in the sticks up north(Chiang Rai) for a while, but it feels strange when people stare at me because I'm the only farang around. I don't get those stares in Pattaya.

I don't know if there's a "perfect" place to live in Thailand.

Everyone wants something different. I believe a working knowledge of the Thai language would have something to do with the choices. Personally, I find a city the size of Bangkok FAR too large, but I do enjoy what cities have to offer. I would go stir crazy in some Thai villlage... even though I prefer the country to cities. I find Chiang Mai to be just about right, even though it is missing a few things I like. It's small enough to walk across and yet large enough to never know everything about it. A reasonable internet system would be one of my requirements, along with good cel phone service. I like the idea of good hospitals, dentists and public transportation. You don't get that in rural locations. I'd certainly want some vehicle to travel more than some limited back road to nowhere. It is nice to have a few people who speak the same language as myself. Chiang Mai has all that. Even Pattaya has all that and you DON'T have to spend time in the visible bar areas. There is much more to Pattaya than walking street and the beach area of central Pattaya.

It's a matter of personal taste and preferences, I suppose. If you want to include a minimum of farang life style, then it has to be one of the larger cities, like Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc. Ask yourself whether you prefer seashore or mountains, big or small cities, whether you want to be in the centre of the action or in a peaceful setting, and so on.

I lived in Bangkok for 12 years, a city with which I developed a love-hate relationship, until eventually it became too much for me. Six years ago, I moved to Chiang Mai which is greener and more laid back. It's generally a nice place for families and retirees with decent infrastructure and expat community. But it is also a bit on the provincial side and it has its very own problems, such as the seasonal air pollution.

Chiang Mai is still a great place to live, however, especially for retirees. Great opportunities for outdoor activities, adequate medical and educational services, and in terms of value for money it is probably unbeatable, as most things are cheaper than in the other cities.

Cheers, CMX

Have been here now for 6 years, and in that time I have lived in Bangkok, Koh Chang and Kanchanaburi. During that time I have also visited a number of other places in Thailand. I'm not sure really what the OP is looking for, but from my experience I'd certainly want to live somewhere that has relatively easy access to Bangkok, has decent local amenities, the option to mix or not mix with other expats and is close to the beach. I really wouldn't want to go totally Thai and live out in a village in the middle of Issan - although for some people that is what they want.

Out of the places I've lived, I like Bangkok, but would not want to retire there. Koh Chang is nice, but I think for retirement would not be top of my list as it is not the most accessible of places. Phuket, Pattaya to me are just too touristy - although I can see the attraction.

I have a soft spot for Kanchanaburi - a beautiful province and I thoroughly enjoyed living there - but I think for me at the moment Hua Hin / Cha Am would probably be my chosen area. The areas though areound Chantaburi / Rayong are also vastly underated.