Just Another Tea Money Story

Tonto21

I just signed a contract with 3BB for a 6Mb connection, last Friday two guys came and ran a new line to my house from….Where-ever! Good job, all done, they informed me that the first 300 meter of cable is free; there would be a charge for additional cable used, (here we go..I thought) was then told 105 Baht, Oh, that’s ok, no worries.

I was told to go to the 3BB office in Mae Rim and pay the money and I’ll be connected tomorrow, Monday 25th.

Yesterday I go into 3BB’s office in Mae Rim, I tell the girl all the details, she then gets on the phone, 10 minutes later! She slips me a piece of scrap paper with 1,600 Baht written on it! I asked what is this, we then started with the cake and ass party bullshit, I listened to her talk herself into a grinning monkey, all the time I kept smiling, but saying nothing, eventually she stopped waffling, I was fuming, but kept smiling, after what felt like an hour, (30 seconds) I told her not to worry, I will contact 3BB head office in BKK, and talk to them as I know exactly how much extra cable was used, I got up and walked out, I’d gone 2 meters and she came running out….”MR, MR’ my boss say we can give discount for you, you pat 375 Baht. Bottom line I need the connection, so OK, I go back in and pay, job done.

So just a heads up guys, if you getting new, or line re-run find at off the techs who run the line if there go over 300 meters or not.

Apparently, you don’t pay per each meter over, there is a standard charge for additional line run over 300 meters, its 375 Baht.

I don’t think this attempt to ‘suck’ was the work of 3BB, but, I let you draw your own conclusions who needed tea money.

One last thing, am I the last person in Thailand to find out I can get; True Vision, platinum package for 300 Baht a month via the internet?

OT but fun to relate:

I remember when I opened my hotel in Phuket about 5 years ago - there was no phone cable laid in our road and there was already a long waiting list for when the cable would be laid.

It was vital to have a telephone/fax/internet connection for the hotel, and the ToT office offered to lay a cable specifically for my hotel if I paid 'under the table'. (I won't tell you how much, but it was a lot..)

I agreed to this and one Sunday the cable gang set to work, running the new cable from my hotel and then disappearing off into the distance as they connected it from telegraph pole to telegraph pole on the main road.

After half a day of work, the cable was complete and connection working!

I was intrigued to know where they had connected the remote end of the cable. 'Inside the control tower at Phuket Airport' was the reply! Apparently, it was the only location at that time which had a decent internet connection... about 2km from my hotel.

Simon

One last thing, am I the last person in Thailand to find out I can get; True Vision, platinum package for 300 Baht a month via the internet?

No you the last but one as i have no clue, but if you would be so kind to share that info that would be great

Cheers

BKK

:rolleyes:

OK, for all that have been in the dark about True Vision via the internet at 300 Baht.

As yet I have not had it installed or had a demo as I don’t get my internet live till tomorrow, so, the story so far, (I’ll try not to bore you all) I spoke to my Thai friend in my village about re-connecting my internet and going back to UBC, begrudgingly! She informed me she has a guy, local satellite man, who has told her just recently that True vision can be obtained over the internet, (must have a reasonable connection speed)

He, satellite man, came to my house Friday just gone to tell me about it. This is what I have so far. You need a receiving box, cost 4500 baht, sign a contract at 300 baht a month and get the platinum package. Apparently this is not a rip off of True Vision, as the contract is with them!

Sorry I don’t know any more than this, when my internet is active, tomorrow, the satellite man is back, with his ‘magic box’ to first give me a demo, if all works OK, I will sign a contract.

Personally, I have reservations on how well it will work, but at no cost for a demo, and the possibility of only paying 300 Baht a month for the platinum package….I think it’s worth a look-see.

I’ll post what happens.

As for my comment ‘cake and ass party’ sorry didn’t realize there were so many sensitive people reading……….How about ‘Song and dance”:rolleyes:

Unless you have a very good connection don't worry about it.:annoyed:

Watching sometimes makes me :crazy::redcard2:

ps. I have a 'guy' and I pay 1500 bht a year, about all it's worth too.

Edited by krading

No you the last but one as i have no clue, but if you would be so kind to share that info that would be great

Cheers

BKK

You don't want to know. believe me. True is bad enough as it is with it dropping out when it rains but to rely on a good connection through the internet is just expecting too much. I have enough teeth grinding trying to read and post on TV never mind trying to watch streaming satellite :D

Quick up-date, I’m still not connected, with 3BB, so not had the satellite guy over to give demo.

Thinking about it, I can’t see a good enough connection being made to make it all watchable……But I’ll still get a demo and post as I find with relevant info if it works. Don’t hold your breath!

:rolleyes:

OK, for all that have been in the dark about True Vision via the internet at 300 Baht.

As yet I have not had it installed or had a demo as I don’t get my internet live till tomorrow, so, the story so far, (I’ll try not to bore you all) I spoke to my Thai friend in my village about re-connecting my internet and going back to UBC, begrudgingly! She informed me she has a guy, local satellite man, who has told her just recently that True vision can be obtained over the internet, (must have a reasonable connection speed)

He, satellite man, came to my house Friday just gone to tell me about it. This is what I have so far. You need a receiving box, cost 4500 baht, sign a contract at 300 baht a month and get the platinum package. Apparently this is not a rip off of True Vision, as the contract is with them!

Sorry I don’t know any more than this, when my internet is active, tomorrow, the satellite man is back, with his ‘magic box’ to first give me a demo, if all works OK, I will sign a contract.

Personally, I have reservations on how well it will work, but at no cost for a demo, and the possibility of only paying 300 Baht a month for the platinum package….I think it’s worth a look-see.

I’ll post what happens.

As for my comment ‘cake and ass party’ sorry didn’t realize there were so many sensitive people reading……….How about ‘Song and dance”:rolleyes:

When I lived in a village, I was offered a similar deal. Sat reciever + monthly, as I remember about the same. But there was also an anual fee of around 18,000Bt. Sorry can't be more precise. It was some time ago. I also believe that it was legal?

He was contracted to TOT and was sent to set up their Ipstar (rubbish and expensive) we had no line in the village. The package he was trying to sell was nothing to do with TOT. I do seem to remember that another modem was involved somewhere though???

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

If anyone is still interested the satellite man has been and given me a demo; so what happened.

First of all for this system to work you need; a UBC satellite dish, a decoder, (Dream) andan internet connection.

The demo went very well, the quality of the picture and sound was good, all the True Vision platinum channels.

Total cost decoder 4200 Baht, + 300 Baht a month.

Sorry, it's not legal so I naturally turned the offer it down.

I wrotethe above so should you be looking for options for viewing English speakingc hannels, you now know this one is out there.

It's not legal,but this being Thailand I would think any satellite company can…..and will fitthis.

Edited by Tonto21