ปรับพื้นฐาน

bhoydy

Next week i'll be teaching classes that introduce the new 1st year secondary students. I think it's aimed at letting them see how things work now that they've moved up to the school for big boys, and girls of course. Anyway in Thai, it's called ปรับพื้นฐาน, but i can't figure out how to translate that into something similar in English. How about Foundation Adjustment?

Is the concept here one of "remedial education" to improve the skills of students who do not have the requisite skills and knowledge to do well in high school?

For example, at the University level there is this course at DPU International College:

LA 001 ภาษาอังกฤษปรับพื้นฐาน1 0(3-2-6)

Remedial English 1

From what i remember from doing it 2 years ago, it was every student from every class in their 1st year involved. It seemed to be more like a welcome and introduction to life and how things work in high school, although it's tomorrow so i'll check again then.

The word - พื้นฐานการศึกษา defines as an 'educational foundation'.

Where as the word พื้นฐาน by itself in relation to feild of teaching would interpret as '; base, bottom or primary.

ปรับ in this situation means V ; to revise ,improve, better.

I would make it out to be remedial training/ education. Hope this info helps you work out what you are up to. :)

I would take remedial education to be students who are not up to pace who have to come in and get themselves up to grade. However, what i taught this week involved every student from every class who are coming into Mattayom 1 this year. On the final day, they sat a test which determined which class they would be in for M1-M3.

How about 'Orientation'?