Thaksin Video Speech May Have Broken Law

webfact

Thaksin video speech may have broken law

By Atthayut Butrsripoom

The Nation

The Pheu Thai Party is likely to escape being dissolved - but fugitive ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra may face a jail term for making an address via video link to an event to launch the party's political campaign platform and its candidates on Saturday.

The programme was broadcast live over the red-shirt satellite TV, Asia Update.

Thaksin, a banned politician, has been deprived of his election rights and prohibited from joining any political activities and becoming an executive member of a political party.

A source from the Election Commission said Thaksin's action on Saturday would be scrutinised to see if he acted as a party executive board member, although he does not hold an executive position.

Officials must check the Pheu Thai Party's regulations regarding the roles and responsibilities of its party executive board members.

Even if Thaksin violated the election law by acting as party executive member, it is unlikely the Pheu Thai Party would be dissolved.

Article 97 of the Constitution organic law on Political Parties states that banned executive members of any dissolved party are prohibited from becoming executive members of other parties or establishing another party. But the law also stipulates that punishment is for individual guilt, carrying a two year imprisonment or Bt40,000 fine or both.

The Election Commission has not been able to take legal action against other banned executive members of dissolved parties - such as the banned Thai Rak Thai Party executives and Banharn Silapa-archa of the dissolved Chat Thai Party - due to lack of evidence.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-25

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thaksin was warned against making about this broadcast last week by his own party as it was against the law

which if nothing else goes to prove that thaksin still has little regard for the law in Thailand and still feels he can do just as HE pleases..........

The Election Commission has not been able to take legal action against other banned executive members of dissolved parties - such as the banned Thai Rak Thai Party executives and Banharn Silapa-archa of the dissolved Chat Thai Party - due to lack of evidence.

If they don't have enough evidence for Banharn and Newin, then they won't find any evidence of Thaksin's involvement in politics either.

If they don't have enough evidence for Banharn and Newin, then they won't find any evidence of Thaksin's involvement in politics either.

i would have thought a 2 hour video laying out the election policies for a political party might prove to be damning evidence...........

I am not too sure about that. While Newin and Banharn obviously meddle they keep a lower profile, more in the manner of a consultant than a ruler :)

This does add another potential jail term to the growing list of punishable offenses committed by Thaksin.

I can understand why T(h)aksin would be punished in case he brake the law but i don't understand based on what PTP might be dissolved?

This article, journalist, cited which Law is possibly broken and penalty from Law but he didn't make the same for possibly dissolving of PTP.

Even if Thaksin violated the election law by acting as party executive member, it is unlikely the Pheu Thai Party would be dissolved.

Article 97 of the Constitution organic law on Political Parties states that banned executive members of any dissolved party are prohibited from becoming executive members of other parties or establishing another party. But the law also stipulates that punishment is for individual guilt, carrying a two year imprisonment or Bt40,000 fine or both.

Why he didn't show here by which Law and Article, PTP might be dissolved?

I can understand why T(h)aksin would be punished in case he brake the law but i don't understand based on what PTP might be dissolved?

This article, journalist, cited which Law is possibly broken and penalty from Law but he didn't make the same for possibly dissolving of PTP.

Probably because he said it was unlikely the PTP might be dissolved referring to article 97 and it's details ;)

I am not too sure about that. While Newin and Banharn obviously meddle they keep a lower profile, more in the manner of a consultant than a ruler :)

This does add another potential jail term to the growing list of punishable offenses committed by Thaksin.

"In the manner of consultant" .... :o .... Are you talking about Newin as a consultant and "lower profile" player? Well, this is something very new for any one who understand WHO IS WHO in Thai politic life. Newin lower profile player. Yeah, sure hi is... :thumbsup:

Profile, lower or not, is irrelevant.

BTW, when you are in the jungle, it's easier to spot the moves of crocodile than snake, so you could save your @ss right on time... :coffee1:

Probably because he said it was unlikely the PTP might be dissolved referring to article 97 and it's details ;)

:)

There may be an offense that could lead to the part being disbanded though. If they are really using the slogan "Thaksin thinks...." as an official slogan it would show collusion with the party Execs making their behavior the issue.

i would have thought a 2 hour video laying out the election policies for a political party might prove to be damning evidence...........

Agreed.

He has handed them the evidence himself.

His arrogance knows no bounds.

If they are really using the slogan "Thaksin thinks...." as an official slogan it would show collusion with the party Execs making their behavior the issue.

The slogan itself does suggest that Thaksin is the brains (or mastermind or strategist) and possibly the commander of the party.

Thanks Uncle Rubl for try to clarify this.

Still i think in Article 97 is no any word about responsibility of Party, or penalties for the same body.

Law is an exact science and should be clearly and precisely defined about this things.

There should not be any space for maneuver or guessing and ambiguity.

In this mess that would be very wrong if there is any space in law for speculation and political struggle(could it be more?).

To feel free to interpret freely and speculate, what we do now, may be the ideal opportunity for political conflicts and neutralizing political opponents.

That would not be for the first time, right?

:)

There may be an offense that could lead to the part being disbanded though. If they are really using the slogan "Thaksin thinks...." as an official slogan it would show collusion with the party Execs making their behavior the issue.

Oh yeah.

Thakins thinks, and Puea Thai does!

They put it in plain words he is their leader.

Not to mention adding the likes of Arisaman to the party list,

can not be an un-coerced executive boards decision.

Putting Thakin's cousin, convicted lawyer,

and other non banned family connecteés on were not the choice of a functioning executive board, but clearly put in by a dictator. And of course the soon to be added Yingluck.

It's a Thaksin Party all the way and the EC must be able to see this. Thaksin is under pressure and he usually oversteps and makes increasingly badly thought out decisions under pressure. Hopefully he will really step on his pud publicly in short order.

I think if they get him for one, more than once instance can be found to fit also. multiple charges served consecutively.

Edited by animatic

As the EC is a bit busy right now (new elections you know) I expect a verdict about the Thaksin video speech and it's possible breach of election laws only AFTER the elections :ermm:

Still i think in Article 97 is no any word about responsibility of Party, or penalties for the same body.

Law is an exact science and should be clearly and precisely defined about this things.

... end removed

Just BECAUSE article 97 doesn't mention the party, but only the perpetrator it's unlikely PTP will be dissolved because of k. Thaksin's video speech.

As for 'law is an exact science', don't try to make me laugh, young master Step. You may want to have a discussion about law with Robert Amsterdam :D

As the EC is a bit busy right now (new elections you know) I expect a verdict about the Thaksin video speech and it's possible breach of election laws only AFTER the elections :ermm:

Mmmmm...very very clever you are UR...

Yes, it is very possible scenario and would be extremely explosive situation, if so.

Yes, after the victory, to eliminate results of election and to go again but without PTP as they would be eliminate based on this violation. Intelligent.

But again, one thing is missing for that scenario.

We don't have anywhere in their Law about responsibility of Party. I couldn't see anywhere in law is told the Party will be dissolved in that case. At least, i could not find anything about it. Any one can help about?

... end removed

Just BECAUSE article 97 doesn't mention the party, but only the perpetrator it's unlikely PTP will be dissolved because of k. Thaksin's video speech.

As for 'law is an exact science', don't try to make me laugh, young master Step. You may want to have a discussion about law with Robert Amsterdam :D

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Thanks Uncle Rubl, you make my day now...

Amazing. Yes you are right about that guy but he and quasi lawyers are bad light of profession.

Still i am sure Law is a SCIENCE and skill. At least, it is in ordered societies and developed, democratic countries.

Adage in my country says:"Lawyers, undertakers live a good life based on others' misfortune." So, in USA and UK and Germany, we can find shark lawyers but again it is bad side of an occupation.

Thanks for this joke. :)

Cheers UR.

Mmmmm...very very clever you are UR...

Yes, it is very possible scenario and would be extremely explosive situation, if so.

Yes, after the victory, to eliminate results of election and to go again but without PTP as they would be eliminate based on this violation. Intelligent.

But again, one thing is missing for that scenario.

We don't have anywhere in their Law about responsibility of Party. I couldn't see anywhere in law is told the Party will be dissolved in that case. At least, i could not find anything about it. Any one can help about?

Don't be obtuse, young master Step. Let me spell it out one more time:

A verdict now or later will be regarding the individual called k. Thaksin S. NOT regarding his party PTP. Speculation regarding a dissolution of PTP because of the video speech seems just that: speculation. Please remind me again AFTER the elections. Thanks :)

A verdict now or later will be regarding the individual called k. Thaksin S. NOT regarding his party PTP. Speculation regarding a dissolution of PTP because of the video speech seems just that: speculation. Please remind me again AFTER the elections. Thanks :)

You are being quite forgiving about repeating the same thing multiple times, when in my humble opinion the OP is quite clear on the subject that only Thaksin would be at risk for the speech and what the penalty would be for Thaksin.

My hat is off to you!

edit for typo

Edited by jdinasia

Agreed.

Money talks, Animatic. Money talks. That is how the world works.

The question is, how much would you be changed that you are so awfully rich as he is?

What would you do? You wouldn't try to be a chieftain in some banana republic?

You would not be arrogant? Frankly, i doubt so.

"Opportunity makes a thief" is wisdom in my country.

As off topic but in my personal opinion his tragedy(if we agree what happened to him is tragedy)started that moment when he accumulated more money than some people in elites here so he was ousted.

You are being quite forgiving about repeating the same thing multiple times, when in my humble opinion the OP is quite clear on the subject that only Thaksin would be at risk for the speech and what the penalty would be for Thaksin.

My hat is off to you!

edit for typo

:cheesy:

JD will hat off to somebody here, any reason.

WOW, tomorrow will be a SNOW in Thailand all around and at least 2 meter high.... :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

" The Election Commission has not been able to take legal action against other banned executive members of dissolved parties - such as the banned Thai Rak Thai Party executives and Banharn Silapa-archa of the dissolved Chat Thai Party - due to lack of evidence.

If they don't have enough evidence for Banharn and Newin, then they won't find any evidence of Thaksin's involvement in politics either."

Agreed.

Money talks, Animatic. Money talks. That is how the world works.

The question is, how much would you be changed that you are so awfully rich as he is?

What would you do? You wouldn't try to be a chieftain in some banana republic?

You would not be arrogant? Frankly, i doubt so.

"Opportunity makes a thief" is wisdom in my country.

As off topic but in my personal opinion his tragedy(if we agree what happened to him is tragedy)started that moment when he accumulated more money than some people in elites here so he was ousted.

1 ) My face is not tied to how my bank balance goes up or down.

2 ) the idea of making face via acquiring power is lame to me.

I just can't be that obsessive about it. There is not point to it.

3 ) I would use my money to do positive things, not to have control of things.

4 ) That you should say this, means more about what you would do,

and thus how you expect others to do things than ist does me, by a far sight.

5 ) Having money just means I need never deal with disrespectful and dishonest people if I chose not to. Money means to NOT have to become a politician, ever.

6 ) Arrogance is expecting others to bow, scrape or jump for your whim. I have never needed that.

7 ) Means, Motive and Opportunity.

The 3 main parts of convicting for a crime.

Lacking motive, there is not always a crime.

8 ) It was not that he had more money,

but how he used it that was the problem.

He essentially embodied the worst aspects of a 'Nouveau Riche Vulgarian' who tried to take control of more and more obsessively. He aspired not beyond his station, but beyond all aspects of good taste and that rankled many.

Next he also had a habit, clearly not done with, of using people, and then abandoning them when he had gained on their assistance. And after they no longer profited him, or if the disagreed with him. He's lived in a world of fawning sycophants for the last 20 years. Not a recipe for improved mental stability.

This is commonly known and leaves any thoughtful person with a negated sense of trust for his motives. If he willingly burns friends for his own benefit, what of strangers, or those of lowly station he doesn't know?

This is a man who trusts none one, because he knows how trustworthy he would be in their shoes. There is little or no evidence of his NOT being utterly self-serving for decades. And his path is littered with those he has disposed of, ruined, or just turned away.

Edited by animatic

Thaksin has total disregard to law.

Many Thais with money do.

Perhaps a more accurate statement is MOST Thais have a total disregard for the law, but when an occasional arrest is made the poor can not pay their way outta jail. The rich and and do - always. This is Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions. There is little if any rule of law in Thailand (or so many believe) :-)

Agreed.

It would serve him right to have his passport as well as the montenegro citizenship revoked...he's still stirring up trouble politically everywhere he goes.

He more than "may have" broken the law as this article states. He's a professional law breaker. And thinks he is among the few who don't have to abide by the law, along with his other mobsters like Jatuporn. Can't waith till it all catches up with him, and certainly it will one day....tenfold I'm sure.