Farang Products From Back Home.

kurtdhis

Does anyone have information on a store in Bangkok that stocks items from South Africa. Items such as Bovril,Chesterfield cigarettes,Mrs Balls Chutney,Black Label beer etc. and if there is a butcher that makes boerewors - (farmers sausage) and biltong? I have looked at Foodland, but they don't stock what I am looking for. Someone from "Seff Efrika" would most probably know what I am talking about. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly for the information george. I will take a trip down there soon and hopefuly I will find what I am looking for.

Are you specifically looking for South African Bovril?

I know about Marmite, but Bovril is not as thick as Marmite is. I'm not sure if any other country produced Bovril, other than S.A., though.

Its British, made by Unilever.

Invented By a Scotsman in Canada for the French Army.

They took the beef out of it a few years ago I believe, replacing it with Yeast extract. Unilever I think may own Best Foods so it might be worth looking somewhere where they stock lots of Best foods.

Tesco's should have it I reckon.

Unilever does indeed own bestfood, at least it does in the UK.

I work just round the corner from the Marmite factory and have access to their factory shop, I can get bovril cubes by the sack load and Marmite by the bucket.

But as the adverts say, "You either love it or hate it", and guess what! :o

Does anyone have information on a store in Bangkok that stocks items from South Africa. Items such as Bovril,Chesterfield cigarettes,Mrs Balls Chutney,Black Label beer  etc. and if there is a butcher that makes boerewors - (farmers sausage) and biltong? I have looked at Foodland, but they don't stock what I am looking for. Someone from "Seff Efrika" would most probably know what I am talking about. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen Mrs Balls chutney here. But you can get other brands og mango chutney at Carrefour. Biltonjg i have seen here. ( I love it) I think the closest you would get is American Beef Jerky. I know its not the same but as close as i think you can get. boerwors. No idea. I like it as i do druerwors(sp) I'm Scottish and not South African :o but i have lived with many Saffies over the years who introduced me to all the Saffie food. Also i must add i've been to Cape Town twice. :D