Shell V Power

fredob43

I know it's been discussed before but for the last three week's I've been useing Shell V power about 4 tank full's. Last week I did two trip's 500+km the first with V power. My car has been chipped so on odd occasion's I did give it some welly "Foot down" load's of black smoke during acceleration. Hadn't noticed it before. Needed some more fuel, as there was no Shell garage put in plain Diesel, dont know what company used the car for a few day's filled up at another garage again "not Shell" to do the return trip. Again foot down at odd time's as before, And low and behold NO black smoke. Not a jot less performance. In fact the only difference was the 4bt a lt in price. At a much later date going to give V power another go, if I get any black stuff that's there lot. My question is this has anyone else had this happen.

On the contrary. Most long trips I drive my white 2010 Vigo with open hatch, as I have one or two Ninja650R in the bed. Shell V-Power hatch isnt to badly smoked, any other diesel its grey of soot.

I havent dared to say this, but for a while I didnt bother to use V-Power, and noticed a 10 % increase in fuel consumption. Went back to V-Power. No change for 2 tanks. Then consumption reduced with 10% again. For 5-6 tanks now. My driving style is always the same, 140 kmh on Highways loaded, 160kmh light loaded.

So simple calculation, V-Power costing 4 baht more pr liter, actually costs me nothing, and provides cleaner exhaust and a smoother running cleaner engine

On the contrary. Most long trips I drive my white 2010 Vigo with open hatch, as I have one or two Ninja650R in the bed. Shell V-Power hatch isnt to badly smoked, any other diesel its grey of soot.

I havent dared to say this, but for a while I didnt bother to use V-Power, and noticed a 10 % increase in fuel consumption. Went back to V-Power. No change for 2 tanks. Then consumption reduced with 10% again. For 5-6 tanks now. My driving style is always the same, 140 kmh on Highways loaded, 160kmh light loaded.

So simple calculation, V-Power costing 4 baht more pr liter, actually costs me nothing, and provides cleaner exhaust and a smoother running cleaner engine

Found no difference useing V extra kmpl/power engine smooth as usual. All I got was bloody great cloud's of black smoke and I mean big. Nil or almost nothing no grey with regular. Will give it another go later. More of the same and they Shell can poke it, will spend the cash saved on a pint, or several. Your post seemed a bit all over the place but I got your meaning.

Same here, no smoke with V-power, definitely goes further, more go and is smoother.

Got my pal to try it in his Isuzu and he is no mechanic but says his ride has more go :).

OP, perhaps your chip is the problem, adjustment might be in order, just a thought. :huh:

Same here, no smoke with V-power, definitely goes further, more go and is smoother.

Got my pal to try it in his Isuzu and he is no mechanic but says his ride has more go :).

OP, perhaps your chip is the problem, adjustment might be in order, just a thought. :huh:

Another thought. A pressure chipped engine will soot more. The occasional use of V-Power cleans and releases old shit left from high sulphur diesel, resulting in black smoke for 200 liters or so

Found no difference useing V extra kmpl/power engine smooth as usual. All I got was bloody great cloud's of black smoke and I mean big. Nil or almost nothing no grey with regular. Will give it another go later. More of the same and they Shell can poke it, will spend the cash saved on a pint, or several. Your post seemed a bit all over the place but I got your meaning.

You said you're chipped right? So your car/truck is already jacked to it's max performance therefore ANY fuel used is only going to show minimal nearly unmeasurable changes in performance between them. Not something you are likely to physically feel but requires sensitive instruments to measure like on a dyno..

But when you have a fuel that is higher in performance as in diesel for example when you stomp the accelerator it's going to burn more of that fuel obviously and thus more exhaust magnified by your car being chipped. I.E. in a benzine race car for example you're going to get raw fuel dumps out of the exhaust which ignites when lifting throwing out big flames but with Diesel the end result is the opposite and you get more inert smoke at peak performance with peak fuels and less smoke with cheap fuels as they aren't providing full power but being chipped is masking much of that as it's only tenths of seconds or even less but overall nothing you could physically measure or notice..

Check out the turbo diesels at the track the fastest ones smoke like a steam engine, they aren't set up for efficiency like your stock engine was and no longer is..Seems to me it's more about your chip being properly adjusted then it is about the fuel being used.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep surprisingly we agree, chip is the culprit in some way, either intentionally or not...

Thank's for the reply's guy's. My lump now kick's out about 230bhp so do expect smoke if I give it some real welly. But dont do that that often no need. On the run I did noticed it about 110kph top gear foot down a little well more than a little and there it was the black stuff but only with V power. Will play about and report later. Once again many thank's for the reply's.

Thank's for the reply's guy's. My lump now kick's out about 230bhp so do expect smoke if I give it some real welly. But dont do that that often no need. On the run I did noticed it about 110kph top gear foot down a little well more than a little and there it was the black stuff but only with V power. Will play about and report later. Once again many thank's for the reply's.

As Kata says, it could also be V-power clearing all the sulphur crap out of the exhaust etc. :)

Interesting note about V Power GTL enhanced diesel, not only are you paying a 4 Baht premium, you get less equivalent BTU per litre than regular diesel oil without additives.

The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit

energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends

to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than

regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot

during combustion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power

Yep surprisingly we agree, chip is the culprit in some way, either intentionally or not...

Poster claims 230HP with chip only, so the chip must be massively overfuelling (a 40% HP increase with chip only is way extreme). If that's the case, the gunk that would have been amassed by the EGR system (in it's attempts to stop the engine from melting) using overfuelled high-sulphur diesel would take more than just a cleaning fuel like V-Power to rectify...

Poster claims 230HP with chip only, so the chip must be massively overfuelling (a 40% HP increase with chip only is way extreme). If that's the case, the gunk that would have been amassed by the EGR system (in it's attempts to stop the engine from melting) using overfuelled high-sulphur diesel would take more than just a cleaning fuel like V-Power to rectify...

I didn't say it was only chipped just chipped. Sorry if I misled you guy's. What I was most interested in was if any of you had had a problem with black exhaust smoke useing V power.

Interesting info about V/P on Soundmans post. It mention's technical data sorry not to clued up on, but dose say's it's thinner with some synthetic additive's + other bit's. Thinner now there's a point maybe???? I don't know. But dose say useing V/P loss of torque at low speed. And in some cases in particlarly well tuned C/R Diesels very little affect is seen or felt, well that answer's one of my question's, IE seems the same power wise. Over to you cleaver peep's. Thank's so far for all your help.

I didn't say it was only chipped just chipped. Sorry if I misled you guy's. What I was most interested in was if any of you had had a problem with black exhaust smoke useing V power.

Interesting info about V/P on Soundmans post. It mention's technical data sorry not to clued up on, but dose say's it's thinner with some synthetic additive's + other bit's. Thinner now there's a point maybe???? I don't know. But dose say useing V/P loss of torque at low speed. And in some cases in particlarly well tuned C/R Diesels very little affect is seen or felt, well that answer's one of my question's, IE seems the same power wise. Over to you cleaver peep's. Thank's so far for all your help.

Actually I think you'll find in my post above I said virtually the same thing only in more technical terms regarding the lack of power difference you seem to feel and whether or not there is any difference? I also echoed that regarding the mix of V-power versus other less refined brands for lack of a better description and how they'll interact with your chipped system..

This is a problem with chipped systems for street use, one size does not fit all, you have to be more consistent with the fuel mixture the chip was set for..

Edited by WarpSpeed