Transferring Funds To Thailand

I plan to move to Thailand in May.

I am a USA citizen and I am now living in China and all my assets are in China. I need to move it to Thailand. This being China, there are lot of red tapes and waiting.. probably more waiting..

Has anyone have this experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Rather than actually answering your question, I need to ask - why do you feel the need to keep your money in the country where you happen to live, and then need to muck about with the local BS every time you relocate?

My advice is to park your money in places that don't give you any trouble about moving it around. Where this is will depend on your nationality (US citizens have the most difficulty), but both Singapore and Hong Kong have generally good reputations in this part of the world.

Only bring into Thailand what you specifically need for monthly living expenses, or to satisfy visa/extension requirements etc.

I would also advise that when you become romantically (or otherwise) entangled with the locals here in Thailand, you don't divulge your personal financial status, other than a general "I have enough for reasonable/normal living expenses (only), and it's safely stashed overseas in a form where I can't easily/quickly get to it".

This is especially true if you get married - treat her like you would a child or a servant, not like you would a "real wife" back home.

And if you get life insurance, trusts etc to take care of her/your children's future, don't tell her about the specifics of the arrangement or how much she stands to gain by your death.

If you get married she is your "real wife" and if you don't trust her don't marry her. DO NOT TREAT YOUR WIFE LIKE A CHILD. I have known my wife 8 years and warried for 3 .People are people and Thais are not different to anyone else .There are good and bad people everywhere. Please do not listen to this Racist.

Rather than actually answering your question, I need to ask - why do you feel the need to keep your money in the country where you happen to live, and then need to muck about with the local BS every time you relocate?

My advice is to park your money in places that don't give you any trouble about moving it around. Where this is will depend on your nationality (US citizens have the most difficulty), but both Singapore and Hong Kong have generally good reputations in this part of the world.

Only bring into Thailand what you specifically need for monthly living expenses, or to satisfy visa/extension requirements etc.

I would also advise that when you become romantically (or otherwise) entangled with the locals here in Thailand, you don't divulge your personal financial status, other than a general "I have enough for reasonable/normal living expenses (only), and it's safely stashed overseas in a form where I can't easily/quickly get to it".

This is especially true if you get married - treat her like you would a child or a servant, not like you would a "real wife" back home.

And if you get life insurance, trusts etc to take care of her/your children's future, don't tell her about the specifics of the arrangement or how much she stands to gain by your death.

Thanks for the comments, Pass and BigJohn,

I tend to agree with Pass. I have been living in Asia since 1999 and have met many wonderful people. I find that most are genuine and willing to help. There are always some who will try to take advantage of you if given a chance. And there are few who are looking to take you for whatever its worth. At over 50, if you can't weed out the good from the bad, then you deserve to be taken.

Regarding funds, I decided to transfer all my funds to China anticipating RMB appreciation. Since 2006, yuan has appreciated 30%. So it was not a bad deal. There are other legal ways and some band handed options to transfer the fund. The problem is I will lose roughly 5% during the transaction. I was just exploring more options and hoping to save few buck. I always like to check all options before making a decision.

Thanks for your input and perhaps we will run into each other

Mike