Import Of Semidried Mango Slices To Australia

tim armstrong

A friend of mine on holiday here wants to take back to Oz a packet of semi dried mango slices - the type you see in every country market at this time of the year. I know there is a general ban on fresh fruit etc, but if they are sealed, and labelled, are they still likely to be thrown out at the customs desk ? Suggestions much appreciated.

Sealed and labeled produce should be ok...on our last trip the wife brought back about 5 kilos of dried crushed chillie (lovingly grown and crushed by the MIL)..the customs inspector made me open one of the bags...all she said was next time be sure the produce is labeled and commercial and let us through...oh it was Sydney airport.. :rolleyes:

Edited by WAYNEandAEI

I would advise your friend to do this. Buy the best packaged mango slices he can find. When at Customs he MUST declare them. Aussie customs treat food and class 1 drugs in a similar way. Customs will take a look at the declared goods, and possibly allow them to take it in. My guess is as a dried product there is a small chance it will pass. No promises here, but it is fully legal to carry it to Australia providing it is declared properly at customs with appropriate forms filled out.

Thanks everyone, we are now finding a heat sealing machine and having a commercial label done. Hopefully this will work. Regards.

You are not allowed to bring foodstuffs of any kind back into Australia, this includes the sealed cheese & jatz bikkies you get on the aircraft.

I bought a small container of chilli powder into OZ after I declaired it. I was asked if it was powdered and had no seeds, I replied powdered only yes.

After they inspected the small jar I was allowed to bring it in.

Thanks everyone, we are now finding a heat sealing machine and having a commercial label done. Hopefully this will work. Regards.

You are not allowed to bring foodstuffs of any kind back into Australia, this includes the sealed cheese & jatz bikkies you get on the aircraft.

I bought a small container of chilli powder into OZ after I declaired it. I was asked if it was powdered and had no seeds, I replied powdered only yes.

After they inspected the small jar I was allowed to bring it in.

some seeds all dairy are not permitted...A lot of foodstuffs are permitted

Depends on the customs officer..... SOme are a bunch of morons.

They tried to fine me $200 or so for saying I have banana chips and I actually had banana and durian chips even though I declared it.

After I spoke to the manager they said I am ok to go....

Even labeled you might not be able to bring them in, search on youtube for border security lebanese lol

Thanks again. Because this is a small quantity our friend is not too worried if its confiscated, but will try the seal and label approach anyway.

Personally, I like the idea that Oz has tough quarantine, it seems to have kept a quite a few nasties away. In this case as the mango has been pulped, boiled, dried and reformed over many days I doubt that it has any bugs left, but I'm not a scientist.

We have a local television show here in oz called Border Control. All about airport customs. It happens regularly that people bring in foodstuffs and all they really are concerned about is that it is labelled, no seeds, declared.

Even if you have something that they don't let pass, if it is declared you don't get a fine.

It's a good show.

Oh, I forgot I had a banana in a golf bag a few years ago. Got fined, and deservedly so.

Commercially sealed and labelled ahould be ok, my wife brings back dried prawns. dried garlic etc...

Remember to declare it

Perhaps that's where one might go wrong. No need to declare if you're not sure. Chances are, bringing unneeded attention to the customs folks will bring on unneeded strife. Probably pass through without incident.

I took in some dried Durian chips once for my workmates (and didn't they go down well :bah: ) and there was no problem. But they were the industrially processed ones from King Power.

Forget anything you get from markets or stalls as you'll be wasting your money. Being sealed and labelled on it's own isn't enough as any small operator can do that.

Commercially sealed and labelled ahould be ok, my wife brings back dried prawns. dried garlic etc...

Remember to declare it

Perhaps that's where one might go wrong. No need to declare if you're not sure. Chances are, bringing unneeded attention to the customs folks will bring on unneeded strife. Probably pass through without incident.

You're trying to get them a fine. Nice try.

Remember to declare it

In Australia, I've always declared when I'm not sure. They seem to appreciate the fact that I'm trying to do the right thing by the Australian laws and customs has always been pretty cheery with me.