Cambodian PM Hun Sen Calls For Truce With Thailand

webfact

Cambodian PM calls for truce with Thailand

PHNOM PENH, April 27, 2011 (AFP) - Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday called for a truce with Thailand as border clashes that have left 14 people dead on both sides entered their sixth day.

"Cambodia is appealing for a ceasefire," the premier said in a speech in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh, adding that he was ready to hold talks with his Thai counterpart at a regional summit in Jakarta in early May.

Planned truce talks were abruptly cancelled after Thailand's defence minister pulled out of a meeting with his Cambodian counterpart which had been scheduled to take place in Phnom Penh on Wednesday.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-04-27

Unfortunatly Thailand current government is a complet joke. I had faith in Abhisit but now i see this is just another puppet....They want to raise nationalism across Thailand, but they will fail and if the elections are postpones or a coup occurs i am quite sure the troubles of last may will be only seen as a joke compared to what will happen....

So now thai government : uses foreing observers, stop bull**ing about bilateral talks.....

Refusing to talk on the subject of the cease-fire is very dangerous. It showing amateurism in diplomacy but more than that, it shows arrogancy and it will not be forgiven.

It will come as a boomerang and with a very high price and will not remain unnoticed by the international community.

However, it is now absolutely clear who wants to make war.

Hard times coming.

Judging by my life and professional experience, Ruble uncle was right when he predicted this turn of events (plot). Now it is to be expected, if Thais continue this line of making tensions, claiming bilateral diplomacy as way to solve problem but just for medias but in fact rejecting any diplomatic solution, that is to create an atmosphere in people where the state is in danger so it would be reasonable to establish state of emergency so no elections until the country is in danger.

What else needs to be paid, any price, for to stay and survive in power?

Now all" more Thais than Thais" here can see clearly what way this Governments goes and what for.

So the newspapers propaganda, pulled the Thai Defense ministers pud,

he squealed and cancelled the meeting, now this gives Hun Sen a chance

to look presidential and diplomatic in comparison...

I think the Def Min has just been played....

Unfortunatly Thailand current government is a complet joke. I had faith in Abhisit but now i see this is just another puppet....They want to raise nationalism across Thailand, but they will fail and if the elections are postpones or a coup occurs i am quite sure the troubles of last may will be only seen as a joke compared to what will happen....

So now thai government : uses foreing observers, stop bull**ing about bilateral talks.....

Thaksins proxy PTP government would be no less a puppet, likely more.

And in the army more than one person has a say, with a PTP PM

and Thaksins hand reamed up to the shoulders in his/her rump,

making the mouth and eyeballs roll on cue I don't see this as a better choice.

I'll take the committee over the malevolent Edgar Bergin does Mephistopheles impersonator any day.

Judging by my life and professional experience, Ruble uncle was right when he predicted this turn of events (plot). Now it is to be expected, if Thais continue this line of making tensions, claiming bilateral diplomacy as way to solve problem but just for medias but in fact rejecting any diplomatic solution, that is to create an atmosphere in people where the state is in danger so it would be reasonable to establish state of emergency so no elections until the country is in danger.

What else needs to be paid, any price, for to stay and survive in power?

Now all" more Thais than Thais" here can see clearly what way this Governments goes and what for.

When Foreign ministers on both sides stop believing the newspapers speak for the governments over the actual statements of the governments, then progress might be possible. Till then the 3rd estate will wield disproportionate mind control over those who might negotiate in good faith otherwise.

'animatic' timestamp='1303894542' post='4384741']

By this latest gesture , Hun Sen is showing himself as more worldly and wise than many people have given him credit to be , the country has improved beyond many onlookers expectations in the past 10 years , he seems not to want this all destroyed in the (literal)

blink of an eye .

By this latest gesture , Hun Sen is showing himself as more worldly and wise than many people have given him credit to be, the country has improved beyond many onlookers expectations in the past 10 years , he seems not to want this all destroyed in the (literal) blink of an eye .

Improved (mainly thanks to millions in foreign aid) is something the whole region should be grateful for.

This latest gesture is easy for him to make now that he has:

a) broken up a rally in Phnom Penh by people protesting against their homes being demolished and replaced with luxury apartments

B) extended the detention of the opposition leader

c) put troops into Ta Krabey; provoked the predictable response from Thailand; used c) to relegate the importance of a) and B) and at the same time make his son look deserving of his position commanding the northern frontier with Thailand

Worldly and wise? Yes.

This is the house near Chom Chong in which a civilian was killed yesterday afternoon. Direct hit from BM-21 missile, it's probably about 20km from the border.

IMG_0268.jpg

if anyone can tell me what caused this I would be interested, i was told something like B512 but when i googled it nothing turned up. You can see where the original shell (?) has hit and the circular holes in the building are caused by something which must be thrown out on impact. A nasty weapon.

IMG_0248.jpg

It certainly looks that way, it's as if Hun Sen has a magic de-coder ring which allows him to anticipate how Thailand will react to every given stimulus. If this ability extends to the military Thailand will end up being the one seeking U.N intervention.

Get a gripe. It is a border dispute between two lots of snotty nosed kids and nothing to do with any election.

I think that was probably meant to read 'get a grip' :-) But yes, certainly an element of handbags at dawn here.

The gripes from those taking a pop at the government are mostly the usual red supporters who are soooo upset at the fighting diverting press attention from Thaksin's video cavortings being shown back home on the ranch. The noddy war is in effect stealing their thunder as they try to get their act together rather late in the day. Throw in the reminder that it is failure to capture the army leadership which drives Thaksin and the boys to distraction and you can understand all the grizzle going on. Like ignored kids playing up at a birthday party.

My thoughts on this is Hun Sen pulled the trigger - doesn't care less about collateral damage both sides, let the bullets fly and now calls for a cease fire claiming to be the victim. He is a master at politics and remember he was also a callous murderer of the Pol Pot regime and has never been brought to justice. Ask local Cambodians about Hun Sen and they are tight lipped for fear of retribution. And - he is Thaksin's buddy! Enough said.

This is the house near Chom Chong in which a civilian was killed yesterday afternoon. Direct hit from BM-21 missile, it's probably about 20km from the border.

IMG_0268.jpg

if anyone can tell me what caused this I would be interested, i was told something like B512 but when i googled it nothing turned up. You can see where the original shell (?) has hit and the circular holes in the building are caused by something which must be thrown out on impact. A nasty weapon.

IMG_0248.jpg

I would say that it looks like it has been fired from some weapon system that fires a projectile long and reasonably flat. From the picture and fragmentation spread it looks as though the projectile came from the top left of the picture, impacted on the wall, and fragmentated down and away from the impact, down and to the right. I would say by the distance you said it would be some sort of medium rocket fired projectile. Just my opinion.

Calling for a truce and then saying

NATIONAL

Cambodia: Thai threat 'tantamount to a declaration of war'

By Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Phnom Penh

The Cambodian government on Wednesday condemned Bangkok's threat to use military action to force Cambodian troops from areas that Thailand considers in dispute.

Phom Penh "considers the above decision of (the Thai) government as tantamount to a declaration of war against Cambodia," Cambodian Foreign Ministry spokesman Koy Kuong said.

On Tuesday, a Thai government spokesman said the cabinet had passed a three-part resolution that focused on military retaliation against claimed Cambodian incursions, diplomatic efforts to arrange bilateral talks, and reviewing all cooperation with Cambodia.

Koy Kuong said the part relating to military action was an unacceptable threat.

"(Cambodia) condemns in the strongest terms Thailand's threat and belligerent actions to use its larger and materially superior military might to take control over the Cambodian territory recognized by the International Court of Justice in its 1962 judgment," he said.

That court ruling referred specifically to the 11th-century temple of Preah Vihear, the scene of fighting on Tuesday and sporadic clashes since mid-2008. Both countries also dispute other areas of their common border. The court awarded the temple to Cambodia, but did not rule on nearby areas.

Koy Kuong said Thailand's assessment of what constituted disputed areas was based on maps that Cambodia did not recognize.

Wednesday saw the sixth consecutive day of fighting at another disputed border location, which has left at least 14 dead and around 60 wounded on both sides.[thenation][/thenation]