Farang Or Farangs

zzaa09

Funny thing is my stepson and wife (both Bangkok born) pronounce it Falang not Farang....Just spoke with the stepson about it.

Having had an Isaan gf before she pronounced it farang

So, it seems and this was told to me before that Isaan people pronounce Law leua as raw reua...

One can only conclude that the guys here that pronounce it as farang must have Isaan girlfriends or wives.

Now of course we know also that a high percentage of BG's come from the Isaan area....

One wonders???

:blink::lol:

You might want to go back and recheck your post for ANY accuracy :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is my stepson and wife (both Bangkok born) pronounce it Falang not Farang....Just spoke with the stepson about it.

So, it seems and this was told to me before that Isaan people pronounce Law leua as raw reua...

One can only conclude that the guys here that pronounce it as farang must have Isaan girlfriends or wives.

Now of course we know also that a high percentage of BG's come from the Isaan area....

One wonders???

Rechecked.......nothing to change :D

One wonders???

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/lao.htm

There is no "R" in Lao ... hence no "R" pronounced in most of Isaan.

One wonders???

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/lao.htm

Aha.....along the Laos border.

Isaan also covers the areas of Buriram, Si Sa Ket, Surin etc...and also Nakhon Ratchasima (not Isaan, depending on who you talk to) where they speak Northern Khmer also known as southern Lao and the R is pronounced.....Should I have said "certain Isaan people"?....probably....Is it worth nit picking over.....probably not.

Oh yeah I did find a Lao language site that had "R" listed as a consonant......I will let you find it.... :lol::D

a site listing an "r" in Lao .... LOL (or should that be ROR? )

As a general rule (which is why I said "most") no R in Isaan (and none in "pasaah pak isaan") and no "L" in the deep south (again as a general rule) ..

Central ... both r and l are present and (again as a general rule) you can guestimate family origins by the use of L and R along with other indicators in common speech, and education levels in proper/polite speech. (These statements are generalizations and should only be given the credence that generalizations deserve!)

Everybody who is not Thai is a foreigner,

Not necessarily. Thais don't consider Japanese folk as Farang....nor Chinese. What about black folk? Farang?

No, they are just "khon dam dam"...

Purely coincidental that should sound so much like our English term "dumb dumb"...Which i have used on numerous occasions in LOS :rolleyes:

Must be true though,since the recipients i've said it to actually agree they arev thus, and see no offence in it :whistling:

One wonders???

http://www.omniglot....writing/lao.htm

People from Buriram don't say Bulilam.

"falong" = an addition to my Thaivisa collection:

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

p.s. any kind soul willing to add to my collection? perhaps furlong? farunk? farong? fallang?

Noting your avatar Naam - how about Ferengi?

People from Buriram don't say Bulilam.

yes they do......or maybe they are taking the piss

It's been known to happen. The real outsiders haven't the ability to see this, though. Quite sad.:rolleyes:

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

p.s. any kind soul willing to add to my collection? perhaps furlong? farunk? farong? fallang?

Ferengi or Falangi - that's Samoan for blue-eyed devils.;)

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

Ferengi or Falangi - that's Samoan for blue-eyed devils.;)

Maybe it would be interesting to have a list of the alternative thai meanings of the word.:ph34r:

The few "farangs" i know are farang..as in chewing gum..

also think theres a word sounding like "farong" (ฟ้าร้อง) which might be a referance to thunder??

Other than than that, im sure there are many vegetables such as potatoes, and various green herbs...the most common probably being a guava??

Not sure why certain posters get offended by the term tho B)

And funny, the number one poster who normally objects and screams blue murder to the use of the word hasnt shown up yet :huh: