Farang Or Farangs

zzaa09

OK, I'll be the first to roll this ball down the aisle.

No matter what the pronouncation, the term "farlang", "falung", whatever, is impolite and we, of all people, should not use it to describe ourselves. We are "kon dtang pratheet" or however you choose to transliterate the correct Thai language phrase for "person from a different country".

Otherwise, if someone wants to be crude, I much prefer the vocabulary of one of my husband's friends -- he uses the good old southern U.S. term of "white folks" or "white boy" when describing himself. He describe the Thai people as "yellow people", "yellow boys" or "yellow girls". It does kind of put all the slurs on the same plane, doesn't it?

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what the pronouncation, the term "farlang", "falung", whatever, is impolite and we, of all people, should not use it to describe ourselves. We are "kon dtang pratheet" or however you choose to transliterate the correct Thai language phrase for "person from a different country".

Otherwise, if someone wants to be crude, I much prefer the vocabulary of one of my husband's friends -- he uses the good old southern U.S. term of "white folks" or "white boy" when describing himself. He describe the Thai people as "yellow people", "yellow boys" or "yellow girls". It does kind of put all the slurs on the same plane, doesn't it?

No, in fact it doesn't. Khon Tang Phrathet is ANY foreigner. The Thai word for "caucasian" is farang. A variation of that same word is used over a large section of the world in local languages. I know that some folks have a problem with labels of any sort but farang works as well as "asian" works as a label back "home." Can I make "asian" a slur by either context or tone of voice? Sure I can. The same can be said for farang as used by some Thais. If you want to talk about not using "farang," then we can make a case for both linguistic and cultural imperialism. We farang cough* know better than you backwards Thais so you shouldn't use that word to describe us!

And with a room full of farang...would it then be -

a mob of farang

a herd of farang

a flock of farang

a murder of farang

a pack of farang

Or... :unsure:

That would be a rabble of farang. Or perhaps a plague

"falong" = an addition to my Thaivisa collection:

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

p.s. any kind soul willing to add to my collection? perhaps furlong? farunk? farong? fallang?

I remember a 'furlong' being used on one post here but I can't be arsed to go and find it. I do have a good memory though so you can add it to the collection. Now what was my name again...

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

p.s. any kind soul willing to add to my collection? perhaps furlong? farunk? farong? fallang?

I remember a 'furlong' being used on one post here but I can't be arsed to go and find it. I do have a good memory though so you can add it to the collection. Now what was my name again...

So a female in the Thai army can ask for a furlong with a farang? :lol:

Looking for a conspiracy where none exists. But then i guess you probably think Obama's birth certificate is a fake as well...

Farang only seems a problem amongst a particular set of easily offended thin skinned expats. They are the ones who probably think that the locals are talking about them and giving them particular 'nasty looks when they are walking down the street.

But then that can't be helped. One poster who take offense at 'farang' also takes offense at being called 'papa', the traditional nickname for 'father' used particularly often amongst the Thai-Chinese community.

You get all sorts.

A slight requires a particular tone, not a particular word.

BTW. It is Khon Dtang Chart if you want to be all PC. Using Khon Dtang Pratet makes you sound, well, rather naff.

Edited by samran

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

got one for you Naam, in the South its simply "rang" :D

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

So a female in the Thai army can ask for a furlong with a farang? :lol:

I've no idea, Ian. I'm talking about words, not sex.

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

And if they have red hair they become 'rang-er'.

Thais really don't do plurals so I think farang would be correct since it's a Thai word.

'Thai' is also a Thai word, so if you follow this sense of what is correct, then 'Thais' is incorrect.

Loan words take on the grammar of the adopting language, as a general rule. Amongst English-speaking expats in Thailand, farang is a common Thai loan word, so adding an 's' is no big deal. Chances are most expats who are using the term are already mispronouncing it to begin with ;)

No, in fact it doesn't. Khon Tang Phrathet is ANY foreigner. The Thai word for "caucasian" is farang. A variation of that same word is used over a large section of the world in local languages. I know that some folks have a problem with labels of any sort but farang works as well as "asian" works as a label back "home." Can I make "asian" a slur by either context or tone of voice? Sure I can. The same can be said for farang as used by some Thais. If you want to talk about not using "farang," then we can make a case for both linguistic and cultural imperialism. We farang cough* know better than you backwards Thais so you shouldn't use that word to describe us!

I agree with jd, but in addition to it being used as a slur which I sometimes hear but not from most Thais, is it being used out of ignorance.

Like being in line at a shop and one clerk says to another, you take care of the falang, or there is a falang in line etc. Can you imagine a starbucks employee in a western country saying "you serve these two guys and I'll get the asian over here."

The funniest I've heard is (in Thai) can you take this one, I don't speak falang :o

I replied in Thai, I don't either :lol:

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

They do like to shorten words in the south don't they! The last time we went down there the wife got a good laugh out of an example of a conversation between two southerners:

"Nay?"

"Theep!"

Translation:

"Pai nay?"

"Krungtheep!":lol:

I agree with jd, but in addition to it being used as a slur which I sometimes hear but not from most Thais, is it being used out of ignorance.

Like being in line at a shop and one clerk says to another, you take care of the falang, or there is a falang in line etc. Can you imagine a starbucks employee in a western country saying "you serve these two guys and I'll get the asian over here."

The funniest I've heard is (in Thai) can you take this one, I don't speak falang :o

I replied in Thai, I don't either :lol:

An overseas educated Thai person I knew (totally fluent in English) got out of a speeding ticket in Western Australia by showing the officer her Thai license and telling him "No sa-peak England!"

That is exactly what they say when no one else is listening. :huh:

farang

falang

farlang

farung

farlung

falung

furung

And if they have red hair they become 'rang-er'.

cannot add "furlong" as it was used by another poster jokingly. only "legal and honest" postings will make it to the "Farang Hall of Fame".

:lol:

Thais really don't do plurals so I think farang would be correct since it's a Thai word.

'Thai' is also a Thai word, so if you follow this sense of what is correct, then 'Thais' is incorrect.

Loan words take on the grammar of the adopting language, as a general rule. Amongst English-speaking expats in Thailand, farang is a common Thai loan word, so adding an 's' is no big deal. Chances are most expats who are using the term are already mispronouncing it to begin with ;)

Kohn Thai will work. Singular and plural.

Indeed. And I imagine it's more common than not......

You are missing the point. I'm not talking about what people say in private; that is their own business. I'm talking about about what they say when you are right there in front of them. I will re-phrase; "you serve these two guys and I'll get the asian over here." (said in front of said customer) and then of course if the asian questioned the comment the workers would just look at each other like the "asian" is completely crazy and laugh.

Excellent Ian, I am sure Samran as a native Thai speaker appreciates your hackneyed explanation and butchered pronunciation tips.

Krap poon cup indeed.

I'm not trying to correct anyone, and certainly not a Thai. I'm just saying what I hear. But please explain why I have seen the same Thai address translated into English in 3 different spellings. The same bank will spell someone's name differently on separate documents.

Yes, I know the topic is about the plural of the word farang, but who really gives a shit so long as everyone understands? A northern Thai person and a southern Thai person might understand each other, but they will pronounce the same Thai word differently and nobody cares. Why should us farangs care? Or, should I say... Why should us farang care?

Exactly........

But the 'Asian' might be cute.....and if the 'are' Asian'....then whats the problem ??......

Also while some sya 'you get tha farang'....consider it might be because the one saying it does not understand english at all but the one they are asking to 'get' the farang does ??....quite possible and I see it many times.

Of course it does happen for derogatory reasosn also, but remember it happens in your home country in reverse....I remember in Oz the '<deleted>' and such......the boot is now on the other foot and either like it, lump it or ignore it.

Edited by Nawtier

Everybody who is not Thai is a foreigner,

Not necessarily. Thais don't consider Japanese folk as Farang....nor Chinese. What about black folk? Farang?

Quite correct; in no way, shape or form does "falang" (or however you spell it) mean foreigner.

A white westerner with Thai citizenship is still a farang, Chinese, Thai, Laotian, Indian, African etc. are NOT Falang.

Anyone who doubts me, just ask these questions to a thai person and you will see. Falang means white person, plain and simple.

Not totally correct - I've known some Thais who other Thais call farang. My wife is sometimes called farang due to her western attitudes - she went to high school in england.

furlong? he's a freejack! (and a farang as well).

You are missing the point. I'm not talking about what people say in private; that is their own business. I'm talking about about what they say when you are right there in front of them. I will re-phrase; "you serve these two guys and I'll get the asian over here." (said in front of said customer) and then of course if the asian questioned the comment the workers would just look at each other like the "asian" is completely crazy and laugh.

If they thought the person wouldn't understand they certainly might say it in front of them. Asians with poor English can get quite a bit of mean spirited abuse from people at times

"you serve these two guys and I'll get the asian over here." (said in front of said customer) and then of course if the asian questioned the comment the workers would just look at each other like the "asian" is completely crazy and laugh.

They are not PC. That it is for sure. :D

Funny thing is my stepson and wife (both Bangkok born) pronounce it Falang not Farang....Just spoke with the stepson about it.

Having had an Isaan gf before she pronounced it farang

So, it seems and this was told to me before that Isaan people pronounce Law leua as raw reua...

One can only conclude that the guys here that pronounce it as farang must have Isaan girlfriends or wives.

Now of course we know also that a high percentage of BG's come from the Isaan area....

One wonders???

:blink::lol: