Japanese Tourists Allowed To Stay Longer In Thailand

Japanese Tourists Allowed to Stay Longer in Thailand

Japanese visitors will be granted a visa on arrival for 90 days, instead of 30 days, for a period of six months, starting from 1 May to 31 October 2011.

The decision was made by the Cabinet, during its meeting on April 26, when the Ministry of Tourism and Sports submitted the proposal for approval.

The proposal was prepared after a meeting of relevant agencies on April 12, in response to the Government’s intention to help Japan mitigate the effects of the recent massive earthquake and tsunami and the nuclear incident. Apart from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, the agencies included the Royal Thai Police, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Interior, the Immigration Office, the Office of the National Security Council, the National Intelligence Agency, the Office of the Council of State, and the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board.

According to the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, Japan needs both time and money to reconstruct the country, while psychological rehabilitation is also required to bring the situation to normality. As a result of the disasters, Japanese arrivals in Thailand in 2011 are likely to drop, and Thailand may lose about 15-20 billion baht in tourism income from the Japanese market this year.

More than one million Japanese travelers visit Thailand each year. After Malaysia and China, Japan accounts for the third largest group of international tourists in Thailand. It was projected earlier that about 1.2 million Japanese tourists would visit Thailand in 2011. Following the Japanese crisis in March, Japanese arrivals are likely to drop to 850,000, down by 12 per cent from last year.

Since Japan is one of Thailand’s largest tourism markets, the Ministry believes that the extension of the permitted length of stay for Japanese visitors without visa fees will help strengthen relations between the two countries. It will also encourage Japanese tourists to come back after Japan recovers from its current crisis.

Meanwhile, Mr. Takeaki Matsumoto, Foreign Minister of Japan, expressed his appreciation to the Thai government for dispatching medical teams consisting of one pediatrician and one nurse to assist Japan’s own medical teams upon the request of the Japanese government. A report from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand said that the Thai-Japanese medical team would be assigned to provide medical check-ups and advice to evacuees, especially young children currently living in evacuation shelters around Fukushima province and nearby areas.

Each team is scheduled to work with Japanese medical teams for two weeks, with the first team starting its mission on 9 May 2011. Subsequently, the second team will replace the first team and remain in Japan for another two weeks. Soon after the aftermath of the earthquake and tsunami, Thailand informed the Japanese side of Thailand’s estimated 500 Japanese-speaking Thai doctors and nurses who stood ready to provide medical assistance to the victims in Japan upon request.

http://thailand.prd.go.th/view_inside.php?id=5642

-- The Thai Government Public Relations Department 2011-04-28

footer_n.gif

Nice gesture but I really don't see how this is going to benefit those effected, other than to make it easier for Japanese to come and live for awhile in Thailand, for Japanese expats to have it a bit easier in getting visas for long stay. The vast majority of Japanese visitors spend less than a week in Thailand anyhow.

My initial reaction was to scratch my head and think: "Okay, the Japanese aren't coming/cannot come to visit for a 30-days or less, so let's allow them to stay for 90 days."

It appears the report is wrong as visa on arrival costs money and is not 90 days.

It would seem to me that Japanese will obtain the same 90 day visa exempt status that a few other countries enjoy for free access.

if they come here once and start being ripped of by the taxi maffia as a starter and paying double for everything the long of the stay + different tourist traps (tuk tuk, gems, jetski, ...) I guess not many will return a second time

As tourists, the Japanese are notorious for taking short holidays. Of course there are plenty of Japanese backpackers too nowadays, but I can't think this change is aimed at such thrifty visitors. So it's more of a gesture than anything of real value to many people.

Nice gesture but I really don't see how this is going to benefit those effected, other than to make it easier for Japanese to come and live for awhile in Thailand......

Isn't that the idea? Encourage those who can/want to get away, to come to Thailand and stay a while? If I lived in a disaster zone and had the option to leave, I'd be looking to a place like Thailand....fair play to the Administration for spotting a gap, and filling it.

"expressed his appreciation to the Thai government for dispatching medical teams consisting of one pediatrician and one nurse to assist" .....surely this cant be right, poor writing or did they really only send two people ?

Nice gesture but I really don't see how this is going to benefit those effected, other than to make it easier for Japanese to come and live for awhile in Thailand, for Japanese expats to have it a bit easier in getting visas for long stay. The vast majority of Japanese visitors spend less than a week in Thailand anyhow.

I don't think it has anything to do with helping Japan.

These seem to be the relevant parts of the article:

"As a result of the disasters, Japanese arrivals in Thailand in 2011 are likely to drop, and Thailand may lose about 15-20 billion baht in tourism income from the Japanese market this year."

"...the Ministry of Tourism and Sports submitted the proposal for approval."

Very charitable of them. :rolleyes:

"expressed his appreciation to the Thai government for dispatching medical teams consisting of one pediatrician and one nurse to assist" .....surely this cant be right, poor writing or did they really only send two people ?

Maybe the Thais are crazy like Foxes. There are hundreds of thousands of displaced Japanese getting chunks of cash from the government to stay in temporary housing while they rebuild. If I were faced with free money for the near future, and the option of spending $3000 a month for an apartment in Japan, or $300 a month for an apartment in BKK while they rebuilt my office building....That is an easy A.

As tourists, the Japanese are notorious for taking short holidays. Of course there are plenty of Japanese backpackers too nowadays, but I can't think this change is aimed at such thrifty visitors. So it's more of a gesture than anything of real value to many people.

Malaysians are the number one visitors to Thailand, But they only cross the border for a cheap Boom - Boom weekend. Ever tried getting back over the border on a Sunday evening?

It smells: Discrimination?

Why not take it a step further and allow all from the "civilized" countries to get a 90 day on arrival??

I am from one of those civilized countries...but how do we draw the list up in this politically correct world :lol:

Edited by maprao

Why not use common sense and allow that across the board for all tourists? Has TAT yet figured out "tourism means money"? So why limit everyone for 30 days? They bring their money and they spend it - what is the point in limiting time to reduce spending. The longer they stay the more they support the accommodation, food and transport industries. Doh.. silly me - T.i.T.blink.gif

Malaysians are the number one visitors to Thailand, But they only cross the border for a cheap Boom - Boom weekend. 

They are Muslims. That is just not possible.  :whistling:

It is definitely possible. Half the population are non-muslims.

The majority of the people going in are the Malaysian "Chinese"

and the Malaysian "Indians" and other ethnic Malaysian races.

The muslims are the ethnic Malays and they are born muslims by law.

Please be inform that the citizens of Malaysia consists of Muslim Malays,

Chinese, Indians and other ethnic races. Malaysia is a multi-racial country.

Malaysians are the number one visitors to Thailand, But they only cross the border for a cheap Boom - Boom weekend. 

They are Muslims. That is just not possible.  :whistling:

Oh yes!!! Everday, thousands and thousands of Malaysian tourists cross over the

border to Hatyai (South Thailand) for Boom-Boom, shopping, eating and so on and on.

Some goes in by buses, vans, motor-cars, motor-cycles and some just walk right in.

Last month I was returning from Hatyai to Malaysia. It was "Hell Break Loose".

Why? It was a Sunday evening. The traffic jam at the border crossing was beyond description.

It took our bus one hour to queue up to the Immigration check-point. And it took me two

hours to clear Thai Immigration. And it took me another hour to clear Malaysian Immigration.

And if it is a Chinese New Year or a public holday, then it may take half a day to clear.

Nice gesture but I really don't see how this is going to benefit those effected, other than to make it easier for Japanese to come and live for awhile in Thailand......

Isn't that the idea? Encourage those who can/want to get away, to come to Thailand and stay a while? If I lived in a disaster zone and had the option to leave, I'd be looking to a place like Thailand....fair play to the Administration for spotting a gap, and filling it.

Maybe they are better of in the disaster zone, with all the aid and relief available, than coming to Patong Beach and getting ripped off by tuk tuk, taxi and jetski mafia.

Well done to Da Vinci's for the Japanese fund raiser last night.

if they come here once and start being ripped of by the taxi maffia as a starter and paying double for everything the long of the stay + different tourist traps (tuk tuk, gems, jetski, ...) I guess not many will return a second time

I like your Post very much. You are Right about the gangsters who try to Rip the tourists off and they never get into trouble because, no one cares. Plus there are so many tourist victums who always end up in Thailand no matter what. If the Thai Authority does not crack down then Thailand will pay her Price. No more tourists and I am warning the Thais that do not cry so hard over tourist income because some of your people Cheat, Lie and Dishonest. Time to clean house and Good Farang and Thai please do your part...report or take someone to court..and jail. Do not tolerate this type of Behavior. I urge you all to speak out...Bad Farangs or Bad Thais....time to pay the price...jail, fine and deportation. I am standing Tall.

So, why is a 30-day visa-waiver period not sufficient? Why does living in a disaster zone become a motivation for someone to visit Thailand from 31 to 90 days? A 1-30 day visit wouldn't suffice for a get-away?

Actually many Japanese do return ... over and over. Maybe there's a lot more good about Thailand than your pessimistic assessment indicates. Yes, these problems do exist, but I've seen the same, or similar, problems in Mexico, Brazil, Morocco, Egypt, etc., etc.

They are Muslims. That is just not possible. :whistling:

Oh yes!!! Everday, thousands and thousands of Malaysian tourists cross over the

border to Hatyai (South Thailand) for Boom-Boom, shopping, eating and so on and on.

Some goes in by buses, vans, motor-cars, motor-cycles and some just walk right in.

Last month I was returning from Hatyai to Malaysia. It was "Hell Break Loose".

Why? It was a Sunday evening. The traffic jam at the border crossing was beyond description.

It took our bus one hour to queue up to the Immigration check-point. And it took me two

hours to clear Thai Immigration. And it took me another hour to clear Malaysian Immigration.

And if it is a Chinese New Year or a public holday, then it may take half a day to clear.

Isn't it amazing how a comical quip gets turned into politics? rolleyes.gif

Why not use common sense and allow that across the board for all tourists? Has TAT yet figured out "tourism means money"? So why limit everyone for 30 days? They bring their money and they spend it - what is the point in limiting time to reduce spending. The longer they stay the more they support the accommodation, food and transport industries. Doh.. silly me - T.i.T.blink.gif

Jeez AW, you have about zero chance of ever getting a job working for a government.

Nothing more than a cute little marketing trick to get some attention in the Japanese press. Look at the friendly Thais. Keep the product in front of the consumer. I can't see why so many of you have to in jump to criticise every last little thing the Thais do.

Maybe they can do it in the US now post hurricane tragedies.