Cambodians Bringing In The Big Guns

webfact

Cambodians bringing in the big guns

By THE NATION

30154124-01.jpg

In six days of conflict, border fighting between Thai and Cambodian troops has intensified, as heavy military hardware and more guided anti-aircraft missile units have been deployed by Cambodian troops.

Thai military sources said 22 formidable BM-21 multiple rocket units were now deployed, twice the original number, with three more SAM-3 guided missile units to add to three existing units.

The additional weapons, reportedly moved in at the direct orders of Army deputy commander Hun Manet, son of prime minister Hun Sen, have reportedly been stationed near Preah Vihear temple since late yesterday evening.

"Deployment of SAM-3 and BM-21 units has sent a not-so-good sign and the chance of violent barrage is high, a source said.

According to Thai villagers with Cambodian relatives, Cambodian troops called Thai residents they knew to tell them about the extra weapons and told them to stay away from military or other likely targets.

Hun Manet's role in the fighting has signified the involvement of two highly trained Army units - Special Forces 911 and Security 70 - both of which are under his direct command.

The sources said Hun Manet, holding the rank of general in his early 30's, was reportedly put in charge on the orders of his father to give him combat experience for his military career.

BM-21 units are multiple rocket launchers that can deliver barrages of rockets at targets at greater accuracy and speed than conventional artillery pieces, which have already been deployed in operation areas initially covering Surin province but now expanding to Buri Ram and Si Sa Ket.

Reports said BM-21 units had been deployed near Preah Vihear in Buri Ram. Sources have now confirmed their presence, in addition to their locations and numbers deployed.

Hun Manet and another general are in direct command of all Cambodian troops, while soldiers from other units have been seconded from the frontline, and given fewer weapons than Thai soldiers.

Cambodian troops who are former Khmer Rouge guerrillas try to avoid fights with Thai soldiers due to their "gratitude" to Thailand for giving shelters to Cambodian refugees during the 70's civil war in that country, the sources said.

Propaganda messages on Cambodian government radio channels heard in Thailand have accused Thailand of aggression and invading Cambodian soil. They are calling for reservists to re-enlist and for volunteers to join the fighting.

Nine government hospitals and a number of clinics in Surin, Buri Ram and Si Sa Ket close to military areas of operation have been closed on the orders of the Public Health Ministry, with 27 patients in intensive units transferred elsewhere.

Five mobile medical teams are treating villagers living in 31 shelters - 23 in Surin and eight in Buri Ram. They are treating 7,672 people, including 16 considered suicidal and under close watch, said the ministry.

So far, five Thai soldiers and one Thai civilian have been killed in the conflict, with at least 47 soldiers wounded.

Hatthachai Phengjam, head of business operations at Sa-Ngam border passage in Si Sa Ket, said the conflict was beyond repair militarily and required intervention at the government level. He proposed musical shows and sporting events as a way to normalise relations.

According to an official Interior Ministry damage report, 52,853 Thai residents have been evacuated from 284 villagers in the three provinces. People seeking help or relief supplies can call 1784 around the clock.

Interior Minister Chavarat Charnweerakul said the border fighting should not affect the coming general election.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-04-28

combat experience for Hun Manet's military career?........... the nuts and bolts wow.... good daddy....hun sen

only in early 30's... that's interesting

military ranks.....funny thing in cambodia

there are 4 navy admirals in that country

means 2 admirals per boat

combat experience for Hun Manet's military career?........... the nuts and bolts wow.... good daddy....hun sen

with that info. I hope they can win over Thailand.....

haha......... keep fingers crossed...

Then they need 3 more admirals..........1 admiral to watch each Thai submarine, and another to monitor the movements of the scrap aircraft carrier. That will sort that out.:lol:

The sources said Hun Manet, holding the rank of general in his early 30's, was reportedly put in charge on the orders of his father to give him combat experience for his military career.

...as I said from the beginning on. He needs profile because no one respects an early 30's general as the potential successor of his father....

fatfather

Then they need 3 more admirals..........1 admiral to watch each Thai submarine, and another to monitor the movements of the scrap aircraft carrier. That will sort that out.:lol:

and one more is needed. Is it possible to shut Hun Sen up?

then the conflict solves

Edited by dunkin2012

...as I said from the beginning on. He needs profile because no one respects an early 30's general as the potential successor of his father....

fatfather

yep.... i can recall now you did mention earlier.

the fact remains

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry over this report – OK maybenot laugh because people are being killed. Among the snippets that I am tryingto get my head around are:-

Cambodian troops who were Khmer Rouge guerillas? That was 40years ago. Has Dad’s Army taken to the field?

Nearly 284 villages with nearly 53,000 inhabitants have beenevacuated in 3 provinces. They can call 1784 for support and/or assistance. Ihope that they get a better response than the one I get from the 3BB Call Centre.Don’t forget peasants – press 1 for Thai, press 2 for Khmer etc etc.

The border fighting should not affect the coming General Election– well not until the Cambodians reach Korat. It seems to me that it hasaffected 284 villages already. These people need to know where they can collecttheir money for their votes.

The situation was now serious and Government intervention wasnow required!!! An observation from a business leader with his finger on thepulse? I suggest a few mor lams would be a good idea. I’m impressed. Leadershipof any Thai political party should be his for the asking.

Just a touch of semantics here. Nearly 53,000 villagers havenot been evacuated. That would mean that they have been dosed with emetics andprobably given enemas. The villages have been evacuated, not the peasants.

This whole affair is taking on the complexion of an Ealingcomedy – or a Carry On movie. I could understand if the row was about AngkorWat or the remains of something significant, but a pile of ancient rubble?

I suspect this whole ongoing conflict could well get out of hand. Not good feelings for us that are living in the neighborhood.....:(

it's bad.... i wanna travel in Cambodia.....

since fighting goes on.... still

I ..............have to wait for awhile ..

They're no match for the rear admirers in Thailand. :rolleyes:

I honestly do not think its time to continue cracking jokes. I am sure locals and expats living in the areas do not find it amusing at all.

I do not see any surprise here and would not expect anything else from Cambodia.

In all fairness, Cambodia has called for the ceasefire and Thailand refused, because a trip to China is apparently more important :blink:

Cambodia has repeatedly asked for observers and mediators to help solve the conflict, yet Thailand refused :blink:

Lets hope NOW Thailand will take Cambodia little more serious, or at least will get some attention of the International community and perhaps they might be able to put some pressure on Thailand to come to its senses.

Khao Phra Viharn is in Si Sa Ket province NOT in Buriram province, about 200 kilometres East of Amphur Ban Kluat,which is in Buriram Province. Nor are Prasat Ta Muen or Prasat Ta Kwai in Buriram . They are in Surin Province. On the border with Cambodia. As the crow flies, about 20 kilometres From Ban Kluat town. Prasat Phanom Rung is in Buriram province ,sort of South East of Nang Rong. About 30 kms North of the Cambodian Border. And is definitely in Thailand, so no dispute with Cambodia. You may have seen news reports ,saying that Prasat Khao Phra Viharn is in Buriram. Sorry, they are very wrong. Sure ,, we can hear the shells loud and clear, but Ban Kluat is NOT at this point in time under ANY threat. We do ,have some evacuees in Ban Kluat , at the Amphur office.But most evacuees are in Schools, etc, well North-East of us.

Edited by afarang

anti aircraft is interesting, hopefully they will shoot one of the Thai jets down that just happens to be doing military exercizes in a conflict zone :whistling:

Why would you want a Thai jet shot down? When a SAM hits a jet, usually the pilot is mortally wounded or severely burnt. The plane then crashes. If the jet was flying over a populated area, then the jet can take out civilians when it goes down and the ordinance explodes.

How'd you like to be an evacuee worrying about sh*t like that?

Have a heart, ok.

Thanks.

Cambodian troops who were Khmer Rouge guerillas? That was 40years ago. Has Dad's Army taken to the field?

It was only 12 years ago that the last Khmer Rouge leaders surrendered. They kept fighting after 1979.. The Khmer Rouge were backed by Western governments repeatedly in the UN (They voted in favour of the Khmer Rouge retaining the Cambodia's seat in the organization) while they received extensive military aid from China, UK and USA and intelligence from the Thai military who also provided them with sanctuaries inside Thailand. The Khmer Rouge in return provided the Thais with timber and gems. The US and the UK also funded Pol Pot in exile and SAS soldiers trained Khmer Rouge soldiers from bases in Thailand. The national security adviser in the US encouraged the Chinese to support Pol Pot and the Thais to support the Khmer Rouge.

In 1991 when J.Pilger interviewed a member of "R" Squadron of the SAS, who had served on the border he said:

"We trained the KR in a lot of technical stuff – a lot about mines,"

"We used mines that came originally from Royal Ordnance in Britain, which we got by way of Egypt with marking changed . . ."We even gave them psychological training. At first, they wanted to go into the villages and just chop people up. We told them how to go easy . . ."

anti aircraft is interesting, hopefully they will shoot one of the Thai jets down that just happens to be doing military exercizes in a conflict zone :whistling:

I'm used to you writing 'government massacre' every other post, but to write 'hopefully they shoot a Thai jet' and a smiley as well? Random thoughts ?

Why would you want a Thai jet shot down? When a SAM hits a jet, usually the pilot is mortally wounded or severely burnt. The plane then crashes. If the jet was flying over a populated area, then the jet can take out civilians when it goes down and the ordinance explodes.

How'd you like to be an evacuee worrying about sh*t like that?

Have a heart, ok.

Thanks.

In modern combat aircraft the warning system is sufficient that the pilot can eject in time. This is especially true with the primitive sam missiles the Khmer Roug-...I mean the Cambodian forces are using. So the only thing getting turned into swedish scrap would be that expensive flying toy.

I honestly do not think its time to continue cracking jokes. I am sure locals and expats living in the areas do not find it amusing at all.

I do not see any surprise here and would not expect anything else from Cambodia.

In all fairness, Cambodia has called for the ceasefire and Thailand refused, because a trip to China is apparently more important :blink:

Cambodia has repeatedly asked for observers and mediators to help solve the conflict, yet Thailand refused :blink:

Lets hope NOW Thailand will take Cambodia little more serious, or at least will get some attention of the International community and perhaps they might be able to put some pressure on Thailand to come to its senses.

Frivolous and simple minds will repeatedly make light of human tragedy. Using that dark side of the human mind is how regimes in Germany, Cuba, Venezuela and North Korea riled up the less gifted citizenry to support their authoritarian agendas.

Notice also that the writer of that piece of "ostensible news" on The Nation "is" probably a Thai national. There is a clear bias in the text. It is also flawed as it has several inaccuracies already pointed out by other posters. The article in The Nation is tainted with opinions. Hardly a news report.

Shame on those who need to trivialize the life and fate of other humans be it Thai or Cambodian. When it happens to one of your family: will you feel and crack the same jokes all the same?

Edited by pisico

So motormouth Hun Sen has called for a cease fire and immediately used that ploy to send more troops to the border. Watch and wait - Thailand will not cop any crap from this rogue ex Rouge murderer. The Govt may not get involved due to possible elections but the army shire as hell will!

So motormouth Hun Sen has called for a cease fire and immediately used that ploy to send more troops to the border. Watch and wait - Thailand will not cop any crap from this rogue ex Rouge murderer. The Govt may not get involved due to possible elections but the army shire as hell will!

Good of you to spell it out, the Thai army has no clear chain of command from the democratically elected government. Perhaps Hun Sen should bare this in mind when negotiating with Abhisit, or any successor.

P.S Would it be too mischievous to suggest a third party should mediate between the Thai government and army so they can arrive at an agreed position before addressing more advanced stuff such as international relations. :unsure:

P.S Would it be too mischievous to suggest a third party should mediate between the Thai government and army so they can arrive at an agreed position before addressing more advanced stuff such as international relations. :unsure:

That would be too intelligent ...