Customs And Duties?

jaideeguy

Not sure if this is the appropriate topic to post this on, so i'll go ahead and post it anyway, since it doesn't seem to fall into any other categories.

I'm a retired american living here in LOS and have some friends comming to visit and they want to bring me some cordless tools that aren't available here [at a decent price]. total cost will be $250.

anyone have any suggestions or experience in dealing with the customs and duties. what would be the worse case $ scenario and is there any way to avoid paying customs??

i did check out the thai customs website, but came away more confused than i was before. my own personal experiences has led me to beleive that it is the 'luck of the draw' when it comes to a compasionate customs officer and that there is no firm rules.

thanks in advance for any feedback.....

While I am no expert on the Thai Customs Act I am sure that you will need to pay something... (you can't even import samples without having to pay something).

Your best bet is to ask someone like DHL or Fedex to clear it / orgainse it for you.

…they want to bring me some cordless tools that aren't available here [at a decent price].  total cost will be $250. 

anyone have any suggestions or experience in dealing with the customs and duties.  what would be the worse case $ scenario and is there any way to avoid paying customs??

I know the following as a fact:

If Customs decides to levy import duty on a hand-carried item, the dutiable value is calculated as the item's value plus freight, the latter being calculated at 1% of the first class air fare per kilogramme of the imported item’s weight.

As trt says, you fare better if you have it shipped in by courier. If the item weighs less than 2 kg gross I recommend sending as registered air mail letter through the United States Postal Service (USPS). I know that hardly anyone in the US uses the Postal Service for international mail, but it makes a big difference because in Thailand letter mail – even packages posted as letters – is much less likely to be inspected by Customs and subjected to import duty.

The sender should make sure to affix a correctly and completely filled out customs declaration (form CN22), obtainable at the post office, on the postal item, whereby a lower than the real value may be declared and the box for “gift” should be ticked.

I do not know, what kind of tools, but would just pack it into my luggage

and walk through the green channel.

If stopped, which does not happen too, often can always explain that this is for personal use during the visit.

I agree totally with Axel. I've traveled through Bangkok at least a dozen times and when carrying regular touristy looking luggage I have never been stopped or searched and I almost always had tools and related items. I once brought in a giant cardboard box full of stuff and they did search it but bringing a big box like that was asking to get searched.

I once brought in a giant cardboard box full of stuff and they did search it but bringing a big box like that was asking to get searched.

If you do declare such items, and continue to the red line, you will probably be asked "Do you want a reciept?"

This is the inspectors way of asking if you want to waste your time and pay full duty, or would you like to pay him some baht and be on your way.

If you say a reciept is not neccessary, he will make an offer.

Welcome to Thailand.