Enough Of Pattaya

Theo007

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Try England, sounds like you may be satisfied there.

I really do not think that England is close to Pattaya and Jomtien, so it is likely not a good alternative for the OP :) What about Rayong? Not that close, but not too far. Certainly not as far away as England. Anybody live on the beach there?

Cha-Am has cheap housing from 5K for a house but it is very quiet and in many ways more expensive than Pattaya for nights out. Little in the way of live bands. Hua Hin is 20 Kms away and better for a night out.

At 4 / 500 baht a night for a room, go and check it out if you are not sure it is your cup of tea.

Second that Cha-Am. It's where the Thai's go for the weekend. Can be quiet though all stop's at 10pm but if that is what you like give it a go. Load's of places for good food. I dont think it's expencive. I know what you mean about Pattaya I left there 5+ year's ago. I now have fresh air not diesel fume's. Best of luck where ever you end up.

Cha-Am is where Thais used to go for the weekend. Now they go to Pattaya.

How about Rayong? Pattaya's neighbor with several beaches..some beaches are so quiet like you have your own beach.

I have heard Rayong's beaches are really dirty even by Pattaya standards. Sattaheap may be better .....

It must be a serious cesspool in Rayong because the beaches and water in Pattaya and Jomtien are really bad. Rayong and Pattaya/Jomtien are so close to each other one would think the water pollution would be the same.

How about Rayong? Pattaya's neighbor with several beaches..some beaches are so quiet like you have your own beach.

I have heard Rayong's beaches are really dirty even by Pattaya standards. Sattaheap may be better .....

It must be a serious cesspool in Rayong because the beaches and water in Pattaya and Jomtien are really bad. Rayong and Pattaya/Jomtien are so close to each other one would think the water pollution would be the same.

Huh? Some 80 Km around the coast, the beaches at Ban Amphur, Bang Saray, Sattahip, Ban Chang are all fine and all these are in between Pattaya and Rayong???

Huh? Some 80 Km around the coast, the beaches at Ban Amphur, Bang Saray, Sattahip, Ban Chang are all fine and all these are in between Pattaya and Rayong???

Huh? I am not sure what your huh is about. Maybe you think 80 km is a long way, but I am not sure. But it is good to know the other beaches are fine. So, the beaches in Pattaya/Jomtien are not fine, the beaches in Rayong are not fine, but the beaches between the two cities are fine. I seriously doubt this. Also, I am thinking now about both the beach and water. In most top resort areas the city pays for a clean up crew to "scrape" the beach of trash each day or as needed. Most of the trash actually comes from the water and is from garbage ships or something similar. The water itself is another matter. The gulf is being treated like an open toilet with everything imaginable dumped into it; much of it coming from agricultural runoff with tons and tons of pesticides. It is too bad Thailand does not get serious about attracting tourists (other than constructing stupid slogans) and clean up the beaches and stop the water pollution.

Also, I looked up the distance (not a lot to do today :)):

Approximate distance as the crow flies in miles from Pattaya Thailand to Rayong Thailand is 19 miles or 30.57 Kilometers

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Huh? I am not sure what your huh is about. Maybe you think 80 km is a long way, but I am not sure. But it is good to know the other beaches are fine. So, the beaches in Pattaya/Jomtien are not fine, the beaches in Rayong are not fine, but the beaches between the two cities are fine. I seriously doubt this. Also, I am thinking now about both the beach and water. In most top resort areas the city pays for a clean up crew to "scrape" the beach of trash each day or as needed. Most of the trash actually comes from the water and is from garbage ships or something similar. The water itself is another matter. The gulf is being treated like an open toilet with everything imaginable dumped into it; much of it coming from agricultural runoff with tons and tons of pesticides. It is too bad Thailand does not get serious about attracting tourists (other than constructing stupid slogans) and clean up the beaches and stop the water pollution.

Approximate distance as the crow flies in miles from Pattaya Thailand to Rayong Thailand is 19 miles or 30.57 Kilometers

Dont know where you got that info or where the crow was going, but it is completely wrong , the shortest route (36) is 64.8 Km and the coast route (3) since you were talking about beaches is 76.7 km, here's a map link to help you incase you dont know where Pattaya is in relation to Rayong.

http://maps.google.c...46&ie=UTF8&z=10

Dont know how you think the ammount of pollution on either can be connected, one is an east facing coast the other a south facing coast separated by a protruding headland at Satthaip and Samaesan, totally different tidal currents at work.

If you have not a lot to do today i suggest you go visit the other beaches i mentioned and see for yourself instead of imagineing that they must all be the same - and dont forget your map!!

According to my version of Google Earth its 49.95 Km or 30.73 Miles from Pattaya to Kantaray Bay Rayong which also looks very nice.

The drive to Rayong from Ban Ampur following Sukhumvit past Sattahip is something over 60km then add the 20k to from Ban Amphur Pattaya.

There are some very fine beaches along the Ban Chang coast.

According to my version of Google Earth its 49.95 Km or 30.73 Miles from Pattaya to Kantaray Bay Rayong which also looks very nice.

The drive to Rayong from Ban Ampur following Sukhumvit past Sattahip is something over 60km then add the 20k to from Ban Amphur Pattaya.

Some real nice between Samaesan and Ban Chang if you can navigate the small beach access roads.:lol:

Very sorry to here that Theo007, a few years back we lived in a quite little part of Jomtien but saw the development and noise getting more every day so we took the plunge and moved to Ban Amphure, we have never looked back, quite, better air, lower temperatures and still only ten minutes to Makro/Lotus.

what's your internet like down there?

Dont know where you got that info or where the crow was going, but it is completely wrong , the shortest route (36) is 64.8 Km and the coast route (3) since you were talking about beaches is 76.7 km, here's a map link to help you incase you dont know where Pattaya is in relation to Rayong.

http://maps.google.c...46&ie=UTF8&z=10

Dont know how you think the ammount of pollution on either can be connected, one is an east facing coast the other a south facing coast separated by a protruding headland at Satthaip and Samaesan, totally different tidal currents at work.

If you have not a lot to do today i suggest you go visit the other beaches i mentioned and see for yourself instead of imagineing that they must all be the same - and dont forget your map!!

coffee1.gif

Some real nice between Samaesan and Ban Chang if you can navigate the small beach access roads.:lol:

Ban Chang is not good as it's very close to Maptaput. air polution from the industrial zone. PTT plants pop off the black smoke all day all night.

Samaesan has no Sandy beaches. the whole town is very unorganized. real fishing village

Ban Amper,Bangsare-not good organized but better than Samaesan, Sattaheep - Shopping in Pattaya, with numbers of hopitals, very convenient, Cheap , some entertainments

more quiet LeaM MaePim, Rayong - not convenient need own transportation , Shopping in Rayong city, one good hospital ,Cheap - near Novotel Rayong

Koh Chang - need time to adapt yourself in order to live there.(long term) ,quiet peaceful tranquil- get bored?

Edited by dunkin2012

Ban Chang is not good as it's very close to Maptaput. air polution from the industrial zone. PTT plants pop off the black smoke all day all night.

Samaesan has no Sandy beaches. the whole town is very unorganized. real fishing village

Ban Amper,Bangsare-not good organized but better than Samaesan, Sattaheep - Shopping in Pattaya, with numbers of hopitals, very convenient, Cheap , some entertainments

more quiet LeaM MaePim, Rayong - not convenient need own transportation , Shopping in Rayong city, one good hospital ,Cheap - near Novotel Rayong

Koh Chang - need time to adapt yourself in order to live there.(long term) ,quiet peaceful tranquil- get bored?

About your observations, I can only say that a friend of mine who lives in Ban Chang all year told me the air was not that bad. Of course, the air is bad in Pattaya/Jomtien along with the filthy beaches and water. Sattahip I am more familiar with. I have never found a decent beach there and the water and shoreline have always been filthy each time I have visited. Sattahip does have a few decent seafood restaurants on the water. And for those who are into distances and maps, here is some trivia: The distance between Pattaya and Rayong Province is 19 miles :)

About your observations, I can only say that a friend of mine who lives in Ban Chang all year told me the air was not that bad. Of course, the air is bad in Pattaya/Jomtien along with the filthy beaches and water. Sattahip I am more familiar with. I have never found a decent beach there and the water and shoreline have always been filthy each time I have visited. Sattahip does have a few decent seafood restaurants on the water. And for those who are into distances and maps, here is some trivia: The distance between Pattaya and Rayong Province is 19 miles :)

you know. I like swimming. but I can't swim for sure in Pattay, Jomtian. The water is not clean enough. Bansare is cleaner but i don't recommend.

in Sattaheep,Sattahip whatever there are a few nice beaches. 1 in Saikaew beach, in the navy training center. 2.Nang Lam beach, where they dock the biggest ship. I guarantee you will like them. for me, I prefer Saikaew beach. (both you will need a car+entry fee)

Edited by dunkin2012

you know. I like swimming. but I can't swim for sure in Pattay, Jomtian. The water is not clean enough. Bansare is cleaner but i don't recommend.

in Sattaheep,Sattahip whatever there are a few nice beaches. 1 in Saikaew beach, in the navy training center. 2.Nang Lam beach, where they dock the biggest ship. I guarantee you will like them. for me, I prefer Saikaew beach. (both you will need a car+entry fee)

You are certainly right about Pattaya/Jomtien. But, contrary to what appears to be popular opinion here, the water pollution problem in the Gulf is rather uniform as the Gulf is one big toilet and the pollution spreads, so it does not matter where you go, the water is polluted, even in places where the water looks clear. Most of the serious pollutants are microscopic, so you cannot see them. The trash problem that washes up on the beaches is another issue. I think it comes from "garbage ships" and numerous other ships that dump trash into the "toilet" aka. Gulf of Thailand. By the way, in case some posters are not aware of it, the dark color of the water (like you see on, say, Jomtien beach) comes from microscopic organisms and nutrients they feed on (along with a lot of other foul stuff that comes from the land and reaches the sea). These places are "nutrient rich" and good feeding areas for bivales (e.g. clams). Nutrient-poor places are usually the most beautiful to humans--the pristine clear water and coral reef areas. Dark-colored water does not necessarily mean dirty water. But, in Thailand, it is dirty water. I rarely swim it; usually to cool off and a very hot day. But I do like snorkeling. I missed the beaches in Sattahip. I have been to Sattahip several times and only stayed across from the Naval Base and ate at restaurants there facing the water (I could see the ships in the distance). So, the good beaches you talked about must be farther south....actually, southeast......now where is that map :_) The coastline from Pattaya all the way around to Rayong is long. There must be some hidden gems there that posters do not want to talk about--good places to live.

Your crow must have got lost or flew to Sattahip instead. Crows can be very unreliable. :lol:

Your crow must have got lost or flew to Sattahip instead. Crows can be very unreliable. :lol:

Good morning, another "productive" post from you. So, you have nothing to do but post inflammatory statements that the OP will surely deem to be useless. The crow, by the way, was not mine. The information came from the internet. What you do not know is that the company that posted the information on the internet was talking about the distance from Pattaya to Rayong Province, which is 19 miles. If you do not believe it, please use you endless spare time to walk that distance today, measure it, and get back to us with the information nobody, especially the OP, wants. The distance from Pattaya to Rayong City is not 19 miles. For the record, many people, including the OP, are wanting to move away from Pattaya/Jomtien, and for good reasons. The question is where to go? And the place needs to be near Pattaya/Jomtien.

The crow, by the way, was not mine.

Fair enough then - it wasn't your crow.:)

just checked it on Google Earth. Almost exactly 50 km from Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit Intersection to the Soi PMY/Sukhumvit Intersection in Rayong. By car it would be rather 80 to 90 km, but you don't have to travel that far. Ban Chang is much closer. Pollution there is not that bad as the overall wind direction is blowing all the Map Ta Put dirt away from Ban Chang.

just checked it on Google Earth. Almost exactly 50 km from Pattaya Klang/Sukhumvit Intersection to the Soi PMY/Sukhumvit Intersection in Rayong. By car it would be rather 80 to 90 km, but you don't have to travel that far. Ban Chang is much closer. Pollution there is not that bad as the overall wind direction is blowing all the Map Ta Put dirt away from Ban Chang.

Thanks, especially about the air pollution, which is what my friend said who lives there. As an aside, he also said "many Western food place" are now in Ban Chang. Just out of curiosity because it is not that easy for me to travel to all of the places (bit lazy), how would you rank these beaches in terms of "sanook" and "convenience to shops/malls" and "condo availability (rent)"?

Phala Beach

Saeng Chan Beach

Mae Ramphueng Beach

Laern Mae Phim Beach

I know these are not that close to Pattaya/Jomtien, but maybe close enough for the OP.

Khao Lak?

Downsides is that it's pretty quiet, nightlife will be a complete180 from Patters, and the rainy season hits pretty hard, but it definitely is beautiful.

And it got whacked by the Tsunami - I know several people who regulary visit on holiday but won't move there for this reason.

Once in a lifetime event, probably have more of a chance of dying of boredom there than another tsunami.

If you had a look at a map, at least google map, satellite photo, you would be able to see and probably to immediately understand why the beaches between bang saray and sattahip have clean water.

That part advances into the sea like a peninsula, so there are stronger currents around there which bring fresh water.

And the whole area is also a military area, so there are no significant sewerage or other dirty water to be pumped into the sea.

I suggest you visit hat sai kheo to form an opinion before posting.

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary dig

A car is not needed, you can ride by motorcycle.

There is no fee at Hat Nang Ram.

Maybe you have mistaken it with Hat So.

Edited by manarak

isn't moving away a bit drastic?

why not avoid the stuff that annoys you? cos in Philipines it probably wont get any better. We're never be fully at home around here, there will be 'I've had it' moments every day, unless you dont go out at all.

every time you have the bad experience, repeat to yourself : 'I am here only becaus the climate is nicer than in Europe' Then you'd be OK.

edit: climate is nicer some of the time

Edited by valgehiir