Re Locating To Spain

Although I'm primed to go,my TGF would find it impossible to relocate without marriage. After a pre nuptial agreement I probably would go along with a marriage to her to smooth the process for her to follow on too,better for both of us I guess.

Does anybody have any experience,also I am not a million miles off my OAP ,would I get an increase to a married mans allowance?

Probably will get moved this topic but would appreciate any advice .

Thanks

I'll second that advice, and also no on Spain. As nice as I'm sure bullfighting is, something about unemployment that is 20% and spiraling downward is unsettling.

Why ? he is retired and not looking for work .

OP you are asking about pensions and dont say where you are from .

I'll second that advice, and also no on Spain. As nice as I'm sure bullfighting is, something about unemployment that is 20% and spiraling downward is unsettling.

Yes...and 20% unemployment puts downward pressure on prices and wages. Probably cheap as chips to live in Spain right now if one has a steady source of funds.

Yes...and 20% unemployment puts downward pressure on prices and wages. Probably cheap as chips to live in Spain right now if one has a steady source of funds.

Retired on private pension years ago,no need to work. Pre nuptial would take care of future problems if any cropped up,and Thai wife would find work easy for the wages she could expect especially after the wages here in Pattaya. Houses are being given away in Spain

UK I'm English

Edited by dandare11

As you are a UK, and therefore EEA, citizen then if you are a qualified person exercising an EEA treaty right to live in another EEA country then your non EEA spouse can join you.

A qualified person is; a job seeker, a worker, self employed, self sufficient (living of a pension, investment income or similar) or a student.

Different countries have different procedures for doing this, and I'm not sure about the Spanish procedure. I think that she applies for a Schengen visa at the Spanish embassy in Thailand, and then once in Spain applies for residence. However, you should check.

As the spouse of an EEA national all this will be free.

You say

After a pre nuptial agreement I probably would go along with a marriage to her to smooth the process...

That you want a pre nuptial shows that you don't trust her; that you would "probably go along with a marriage" indicates that you do not really want to marry her.

Do not marry her just to "smooth the process," If you do, one or both of you will regret it sooner rather than later.

Only marry her because you love each other and want to spend the rest of your lives together.

Unmarried partners can qualify. Again, different states have different definitions of an unmarried partner. For the UK it is living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years; I don't know what the Spanish definition is.

Have you ever been to Spain ??

As you are a UK, and therefore EEA, citizen then if you are a qualified person exercising an EEA treaty right to live in another EEA country then your non EEA spouse can join you.

A qualified person is; a job seeker, a worker, self employed, self sufficient (living of a pension, investment income or similar) or a student.

Different countries have different procedures for doing this, and I'm not sure about the Spanish procedure. I think that she applies for a Schengen visa at the Spanish embassy in Thailand, and then once in Spain applies for residence. However, you should check.

As the spouse of an EEA national all this will be free.

You say

After a pre nuptial agreement I probably would go along with a marriage to her to smooth the process...

That you want a pre nuptial shows that you don't trust her; that you would "probably go along with a marriage" indicates that you do not really want to marry her.

Do not marry her just to "smooth the process," If you do, one or both of you will regret it sooner rather than later.

Only marry her because you love each other and want to spend the rest of your lives together.

Unmarried partners can qualify. Again, different states have different definitions of an unmarried partner. For the UK it is living together outside the UK in a relationship akin to marriage for at least the last two years; I don't know what the Spanish definition is.

Thanks for this. As of not trusting her I do not think I would trust my own shadow out here,and of course as to loving her,..well I do not even love myself which is an astonishing statement to make here, in Pattaya especially.

I think love goes out of the window at 20 something.

Retired on private pension years ago,no need to work. Pre nuptial would take care of future problems if any cropped up,and Thai wife would find work easy for the wages she could expect especially after the wages here in Pattaya. Houses are being given away in Spain

UK I'm English

What are your reasons for choosing Spain ?

Which part are you going to ?

What work will your wife do ?

How likely is that she will integrate in a foreign country ?

sounds like you are looking for a companion so takeing a tgf is a no no,and going to live in spain is also a no no,what is wrong with los,get away from patts for a start anywhere in los is better than living there,i spent 2years 83-85 and it was getting boreing but know its a jungle.

]

UK I'm English

What are your reasons for choosing Spain ?

Which part are you going to ?

What work will your wife do ?

How likely is that she will integrate in a foreign country ?

I am going to Spain basically because I am fed up with Thailand,Costa Blanca would be the region I choose. As for TGF or wife's work I think Ill open a small shop ,she does hairdressing,suppose Thai massage ,gather a few other Thai women too, no sex though. At the prices they can manage on,I'm sure it will be a winner.

Do not think she will integrate in Spain ,all she wants is to work,I'm OK though I can speak Spanish. The thought of driving or taking a 2 hour journey to the UK appeals too,free and full medical care after the age of 65 sounds good too

Edited by dandare11

are you sure your living in patts.from your reply i think you come from cuckoo land.

He-He

How much is a decent house in Spain? Majorca properly very expensive, a small village one hour drive from the cost properly fairly cheap?

• House prices in Spain are cheap as chips,,pick one up for buttons compared to Pattaya and sure am pleased I got out of the property market at just the right time,the thought of owning property here now is frightening,no way anyone will ever sell unless its virtually given away,so for anyone owning it is a case of being trapped forever,unless the visa rules change of course and I see a possibility of that in the forseeable future.
  • Good to be able to choose

And learn a foreign language?

I am fluent in Spanish. I would love to move there with my wife and son, but cost is prohibitive and jobs are scarce.

Im in touch with another individual in similar position as myself,he is desperate to leave Thailand with Thai wife too. Maybe we can all join forces, the TGF is desperately learning or re learning skills to improve her chances at earning ,after 150 Baht a day at times ,I'm sure she will think she is in seventh heaven,me ? I'll sit it all out

• House prices in Spain are cheap as chips,,pick one up for buttons compared to Pattaya and sure am pleased I got out of the property market at just the right time,the thought of owning property here now is frightening,no way anyone will ever sell unless its virtually given away,so for anyone owning it is a case of being trapped forever,unless the visa rules change of course and I see a possibility of that in the forseeable future.
  • Good to be able to choose

wanted chips and buttons good prices paid oh by the way you cant own any property in thailand

pm me your details, ive done it and its not easy, especially when you get to spain.

Hola.

We, that is My Thai wife and I (English) have a home in Spain and Chiang Mai. I took my wife and child to Spain it was so easy and cost nothing for her visa. Not only was it free when she arrived she applied for her Spanish residents ID card and was issued one for 5 years with little to no questions within 90 days as laid down by EU law (NO 90 DAY REPORTING NOTHING). Next year she will exchange it for a permanent ID card. It was 100 times easier than getting my marriage visa here in Thailand and free. So now she can travel all over Europe, except England and Gibraltar, but why anyone would want to visit the rock I will never know, what ever floats your boat I guess.jap.gif Have lived in Spain for 30 years so have some idea about the country, yes it is hard to get work there but if you look hard you can find work. I worked there in 2008-2009 had more than I could handle.

I'm sure I will love it (thanks for the PM). As for Gib it is a dump but good for a cigarette run back to the UK. On the whole I'm sick of the scrutiny here,90 day reporting and all that,even spot checking now to see where you reside,not for me living under a visa regime,done it before and it all ends in tears,especially when roots are put down. After selling it was 10 tons off my shoulders,free as a bird,and as for learning Thai I was forever slipping into Spanish,so good inkling where I belong. I have a few ideas on getting around and where to live,fact is some owners are so keen for me to buy their places they are offering a rent free period if I want a look see.

Fares were 474 last month into Barcelona ,this month 740, some price hike.

Frankly,

comparing exchange rates, quality of service, admin, work environment etc. Thailand / Pattaya is no big deal anymore. Not sure about Spain though. At least I would prefer the food, bread, cheese etc.

UK I'm English

I live just outside Barcelona don´t let anyone kid you that Spain is cheap (used to be) now the vast majority of prices for food and utilities are higher than the UK if you think property prices are cheap, yes they are going down and will continue going down for the next 2 or 3 years at least.

Unemployment is still rising and businesses are going bust at a higher rate now than 18months ago.

Closer to the UK and the sun shines (most of the time) but far from paradise.

I shan't comment on your Thai partner accompanying you as that's purely at your discretion. I have one client who as done what you plan and they found Spain much more accepting of a European Male/Asian female relationship than the rather more draconian attitudes adopted in the UK when they were there too...

It doesn't sound like you will be shifting a lot of capital when you move, but I just wish to highlight one very important point. Spain has a dual taxation treaty with the UK which carries some advantages/disadvantages. If you have any lump sum (proceeds from a Thai property sale or what not) - leave it offshore and do NOT repatriate the funds either to the UK or Spain. Leaving them 'in limbo' offshore would give you some significant tax savings and avoid too much of your money being taxed locally in Spain.

Outside of the 'millionaire playboy' suburbs property is very cheap in Spain compared to the rest of the EU and Madrid has been known for being the cheapest EU Capital city for quite some time etc etc.. At retirement age, access to cheap/free medical care is also a very compelling reason to relocate from Asia/elsewhere.

I know this is going off topic slightly, but no one else mentioned it here so I thought you might be interested in this snippet of information. Forewarned in forearmed as they say!

Very best wishes and good luck.

Edited by 121Advice