Vegetarianism and Buddhism

Lioneric

Forgetting for a moment the quoting of scripture or this or that sutra or school of Buddhism. Forget for a moment the pretty powerful arguments for and against the eating of meat for health reasons and forget (please!) the immature justification that insects and cabbages have rights and are killed so ‘why not kill animals’ and also let’s forget the curing of world hunger argument and lastly forget the ‘we are carnivores’ Neanderthal-like argument (otherwise eat it raw!).

It all boils down to basics doesn’t it? – Eating meat is killing other sentient, conscious, social beings by proxy (in a painful and dreadful factory farming way) – and for largely no good reason (and we have listed some exceptions earlier in the thread before anyone shouts i.e. specific medical or environmental reasons).

Is it not a powerful enough reason to consider stopping your part in the carnage? To actually consider that because you buy meat in convenient packs at Tesco this does not absolve one from the consequences? The meat food chain (as far as you are concerned) may end at your toilet but it ends for animals at the factory farm which is awash in blood, guts and pain.

Choose compassion.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choose compassion.

Why don't you choose compassion and not try to get the whole argument started again. Your post covered no ground you didn't already cover. You appear to be intentionally attempting to bring dissension to the forum.

Not at all... maybe you're afraid? afraid of honest debate? Accusing me of dissention...? the board is for debate - you accused me of things before and got no support - I am re-stating the basics as I see them- don't be afraid of challenging your meat-loving views friend - open your heart - none of us need be afraid of discussion... join the debate with a joyous heart and defend your views by all means but please refrain from being so judgemental - your New Year Resolution? :)

I agree. Same debate, no new points. Please give the dogma a rest ChiangMaiFun.

Actually Dogma was what I was NOT engaging in but rather saying 'let's put it aside' over 11,000 views on this debate please don't try the old 'Buddhist Censor' stuff - dabate is healthy... I have received several PMs in support -I believe some are very reluctant to post publically though... I wonder why? please, please let's not stifle debate and good natured points of view because YOU feel uncomfortable... or are you really trying to muzzle a fellow traveller who holds a decent and garnered view? say it ain't so...