Children Locked In Well As Expat Businessmen Is Robbed Of All His Property In Phuket

webfact

Except for the fact that defamation is a criminal charge in Thailand and if he were so defamed without a news report and chose to pursue it we'd really hate to have to turn personal information over.

So, please report only on what has made the news, cheers.

The facts as stated are true. He is no fool....someone who can accumulate such a portfolio is hardly stupid. The problem here? He trusted her...that's all.

Which made him a fool. Trusting some fairly ugly slapper he met in a high priced shopping mall and then entrusting her to a constant close relationship with his family is irresponsible and totally foolish. He may be a best selling author in Ireland but he's way out of his depth in Thailand.

This naive gullible tragic man was a victim waiting to happen right from the very beginning when he first arrived in Thailand.

Yes, I agree and that is the real tragedy here, is that in order to stay here you need to view your fellow citizens with great suspicion, and always be vigilant. A truly awful story and one which shows the ugly side of the country, the impotence and corruption of local police and the jealousy of the few.

It only shows that stupids and people, they got there money to easily, lose it very quick. That is all. And it is right. How this world would be, if the stupids had the money ? Much more bader than now. Or ? And now it is bad enough.

Why is it that so many Farangs come to thailand both to live and vacation and so many seem to leave all their common sense at home.

Surely in his own country he was successful,and would not have trusted someone like he trusted this thai lady so why did he do it here?

I had a Thai partner back in '84-86 on the Cambodian border and we were mining Rubies/Sapphires. First thing he told me was never trust him, ( or any Thai) and always check everything.

Wise words which i have loved by here.

Edited by phuketrichard

I can't follow what's going on here.

"Working with 'influential people' , well not to put too fine a point on it, criminals, she defrauded his of all his property, his car, and rent money she said she was depositing for him in the bank."

Who are the influential people...the housekeeper...Vard...who?

She defrauded his? His what? If 'his' refers to Vard, why would he be on the run (as indicated in the last paragraph).

Is there a version of this story that is written in coherent manner? It sounds like it might be interesting.

"Most foreigners looking for a woman, have relationships with girls from bars. Some of them are good, maybe 10 or 20 per cent, but most are not."

The old game. Get them out of the bar, but you'll never get the bar out of them. Maybe 2% are good? :jap:

yes, I understand that a very large number of farang who decide to trust a Thai woman get emotionally and financially bankrupt, but the story is written in a poor and rambling style, I can't really get a picture of what has happened.

Something said in the headline about children locked in a well but never mentioned again in the rest of the story. Then something vague said about influential people and finally that the person who sort of appears to be the victim (although it''s very difficult to tell from such a scattered mess of a story) is on the run (from who -- and why?)

It seems other posters have some good knowledge of what has actually gone on (that they couldn't have possibly got from the poorly written story presented here in post #1) so I was wondering if there was a properly written story somewhere to read.

I agree. I can't ever make out stories written by this author. Does anyone know if he is a professional and if English is his first language? There are always many errors in grammar and punctuation and the format is always strangely laid out and rambling.

"Working with 'influential people' , well not to put too fine a point on it, criminals, she defrauded his of all his property, his car, and rent money she said she was depositing for him in the bank."

She defrauded his? His what? If 'his' refers to Vard, why would he be on the run (as indicated in the last paragraph)?

Is there a version of this story that is written in a coherent manner? It sounds like it might be interesting.

I agree, don't understand. I think we should get Vincent Calvino on the case to investigate.

They traced her to Nong Khai and his son was returned to him.

I thought he was found in a well by the gardener.Or did I misunderstand something.

I think he had a child with the housekeeper and that is the one she kidnapped and ransomed, i think. im confused

As said...he should never have trusted someone like that.

By all accounts he is an avid reader....he should have read these stories before or at least known a little.

Anyway....hope he gets it back and at least his kids are safe and that she is in prison and stays there....get the others there now.

is there a map of these kind of happenings? Would be interesting to see the pattern of the so called unsolved cases and it would ultimately lead to the culprits. It happens far to often and not coincidently. Foreign governments with their respective Embassies need to step in as well. They do have liaison officers here. What are they doing? On the wrong side of their duties?

Andrew is doing a great job with his revelations. Thanks for that.

To my knowledge. many scams are conducted by foreign gangs too. I'm not saying that this is the case here but in general.

--- This why we need to map out all incidences, solved and unsolved, to follow the pattern.

Embassies have no interest in things like this. Its not their problem and it would take a lot of pressure from a lot of people (and media) to get the embassies to ever do anything (in any country). Thailand is full of these stories everyday and so embassies would be complaining to the Thai government and giving warnings to its people everyday as a result! This is contrary to embassies purpose which nowadays is too encourage business between countries to make revenue for big companies and help make rich people richer. Why do you think that most embassies have their Trade offices in the same buildings. They work hand in hand. Murders, mysterious deaths, scams, etc are not part of their business plans.

She defrauded his? His what? If 'his' refers to Vard, why would he be on the run (as indicated in the last paragraph)?

Is there a version of this story that is written in a coherent manner? It sounds like it might be interesting.

Thank you---I know now i'm not the only one--Began to think i was being a bit thick this morning as i cannot get my head around this badly written story!!!

"Working with 'influential people' , well not to put too fine a point on  it, criminals, she defrauded his of all his property, his car, and  rent  money she said she was depositing for him in the bank."

She defrauded his? His what? If 'his' refers to Vard, why would he be on the run (as indicated in the last paragraph).

Is there a version of this story that is written in coherent manner? It sounds like it might be interesting.

"Most foreigners  looking for a woman, have relationships with girls from bars. Some of them are good, maybe 10 or 20 per cent, but most are not." The old game. Get them out of the bar, but you'll never get the bar out of them. Maybe 2% are good? :jap:

I don't fully agree, Thai people, all of them, maybe 2% are good. I read in an earlier forum, "it's the 99% of bad Thai's that give the rest a bad name" that ratio is about right.

I have been here 17 years,and the number of Thai's I think, and still only think, are OK, I can count on the fingers of one hand. So why am I still here? I wish it was so easy to leave, but I am working on the problem.

I can't make sense of this awfully written story either, but it's all the same crap I have heard hundreds of times here and will have to heard hundreds of times more.

The dregs of the world as far as I am concerned.

Just when I come to terms with Thai people and start to feel a little more love for them, I read a story like this and I am right back to square one again. I hate them. I hate thyem with an incredible passion and the vast majority of them in my opinion are complete and utter smiling assasin cum bags.

GRRRRR it makes my blood boil.........

I live near Roi-Et and had heard about the other case involving the murder of an old farang.

So two cases involving women from Roi-Et SCARY !!!

I don't think I will date any more women from this area.

Two cases are hardly representative of he entire population in that area. People there are poor and often uneducated, and this is a recipe for goings-on like this anywhere.

I too know Colin Vard and he is a highly intelligent and successful business man. His tale is a cautionary one for any foreigner living in Thailand. Gentlemen be smug at your peril. Look at whatever documents you are in possession of and be assured that they are original. The leases, the Chanote's etc etc maybe they are counterfeit? Mr Drummond's story has many gaping holes in it! On arrival in Thailand Mr Vard formed a Thai company with the help of one of the leading International Law Firms. After placing his houses in the company and insuring that he had all the voting rights and was sole signatory with the 2 company stamps he decided to employ another International Law Firm to cover his back and draw up a separate contract with all the shareholders in which they signed away all their interests. He placed his trust in the solicitors and even had translations provided for every thing he signed. It turned out that the translations were bogus and the Solicitor counterfeited and switched his Chanote's. Look at how easy it was to transfer the ownership of his car... How many of you out there at some time leave your blue car book and passport out on view if only for a few minutes? Indeed how many of you have a signed copy of your passport in your desk? Well the housekeeper one afternoon when Mr Vard was out copied his passport and took the blue book to a Thai man who filled out all the transfer forms and virtually within the hour he had forged Mr Vard's signature and the car was transfered into the housekeepers name. Later that day the car was taken to a finance company and used as collateral for a 500,000 loan. This woman was never his girl friend. She lived with him for 10 years without incident. In that period she built up not only his trust but all of his friends and family too. She fooled us all. The problem here in Thailand is that the felons operate in the knowledge that the police will not investigate and charge their own. He was lucky he found 3 or 4 decent policemen who apologised to him for what had happened. The fraud against Mr Vard could not have happened unless she had help from dishonest bank officials, land office employees police men and lawyers. Mr Vard enjoyed his life as a single man in Thailand. He has had many girl friends but never wanted to form a lasting relationship. He erred one night and paid the price. He is guilty of taking on his responsibilities and taking care of this woman. His contribution to her restaurant was just 400K Baht a small sum he argued for a woman who worked for him for 10 years without incident. It also he reasoned took her off his payroll. Finally since Mr Vard's story has come to light it has been discovered that there are up to 12 other similar cases in Phuket at the moment. It is easy to knock others misfortune harder to come together as a force and insure that this can not happen to you. Maybe it all ready has and you just don't realise it yet?

I live near Roi-Et and had heard about the other case involving the murder of an old farang.

So two cases involving women from Roi-Et      SCARY !!!

Two cases are hardly representative of he entire population in that area. People there are poor and often uneducated, and this is a recipe for goings-on like this anywhere.

I have heard this argument over and over, not indicative of the whole population. Things like this happen all over the world argument. The difference is here it's the norm, not the odd case.

The only ones who have not given you a problem, have not had the opportunity, or have not figured out a way yet. The culture is morally sick and that is the problem. 

Watch your back, be as careful as you can, never trust any of them, the term "smiling assasins "is the right one. Remember a lot of stories don't even make the press. I have had enough problems with them to write a book, even being as careful as I can. And I am pretty street wise.

Perfectly reasonable to buy your housekeeper a restaurant and allow her to collect the rent on your properties, especially when you meet her some respectable place like the Emporium and not in a whorehouse.

you mean a high class hooker is better than a low class hooker, huh? She knew how to dress and where to set up her fool detector.

• Like 1

I too know Colin Vard and he is a highly intelligent and successful business man. His tale is a cautionary one for any foreigner living in Thailand. Gentlemen be smug at your peril. Look at whatever documents you are in possession of and be assured that they are original. The leases, the Chanote's etc etc maybe they are counterfeit? Mr Drummond's story has many gaping holes in it! On arrival in Thailand Mr Vard formed a Thai company with the help of one of the leading International Law Firms. After placing his houses in the company and insuring that he had all the voting rights and was sole signatory with the 2 company stamps he decided to employ another International Law Firm to cover his back and draw up a separate contract with all the shareholders in which they signed away all their interests. He placed his trust in the solicitors and even had translations provided for every thing he signed. It turned out that the translations were bogus and the Solicitor counterfeited and switched his Chanote's. Look at how easy it was to transfer the ownership of his car... How many of you out there at some time leave your blue car book and passport out on view if only for a few minutes? Indeed how many of you have a signed copy of your passport in your desk? Well the housekeeper one afternoon when Mr Vard was out copied his passport and took the blue book to a Thai man who filled out all the transfer forms and virtually within the hour he had forged Mr Vard's signature and the car was transfered into the housekeepers name. Later that day the car was taken to a finance company and used as collateral for a 500,000 loan. This woman was never his girl friend. She lived with him for 10 years without incident. In that period she built up not only his trust but all of his friends and family too. She fooled us all. The problem here in Thailand is that the felons operate in the knowledge that the police will not investigate and charge their own. He was lucky he found 3 or 4 decent policemen who apologised to him for what had happened. The fraud against Mr Vard could not have happened unless she had help from dishonest bank officials, land office employees police men and lawyers. Mr Vard enjoyed his life as a single man in Thailand. He has had many girl friends but never wanted to form a lasting relationship. He erred one night and paid the price. He is guilty of taking on his responsibilities and taking care of this woman. His contribution to her restaurant was just 400K Baht a small sum he argued for a woman who worked for him for 10 years without incident. It also he reasoned took her off his payroll. Finally since Mr Vard's story has come to light it has been discovered that there are up to 12 other similar cases in Phuket at the moment. It is easy to knock others misfortune harder to come together as a force and insure that this can not happen to you. Maybe it all ready has and you just don't realise it yet?

I have also been here for more than 10 years and thought I was immune to this kind of thing. Just 2 months ago after a short 6 month relationship I lost 200,000 baht. It was completely my own fault but I finally decided to trust someone after 10 years of seeing bad things happen to others. I feel really stupid but have to laugh. After 10 years of seeing, hearing and reading about others, I still went ahead and trusted someone. That ranks pretty high on the 'Stupidity Meter' LOL

I too will remain single for the rest of my days in Thailand. Casual girlfriends only, extra money sent home where it belongs:)

• Like 1

I find it amazing that the most important and interesting point of this story hasn’t been mentioned yet.

If somebody wants to invest his hard earned money into property in order to generate rental income why not do it in a country where you can actually own the property legally, e.g. in your home country ? Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to condone or excuse the evil behavior of this woman and her helpers in any way. But would you not agree that the fact to try and circumvent existing laws by some semi-legal constructions (forming a Thai company, 30 year lease etc.) makes one vulnerable for exactly these kind of rip-off ? Moreover, would you not agree that such a situation makes some shady Thai characters actually believing that they are entitled to ‘defend the Thai law’ and part the foreigner from his illegal investments ?

The first lesson any foreigner who wants to live in Thailand in relative peace and ease of mind should learn is to never invest into something you can’t legally own. Leave your money where it is safe and always only send exactly that much as you really need.

• Like 1

Sorry that is Bu##st, I am poor and undereducated but It doesn't make me go and steal money-property-kill-drink my head off-gamble. think of another excuse please---or is your g/f looking what you type B)

"Most foreigners looking for a woman, have relationships with girls from bars. Some of them are good, maybe 10 or 20 per cent, but most are not."

The old game. Get them out of the bar, but you'll never get the bar out of them. Maybe 2% are good? :jap:

Thats a very pessimistic view, certainly not supported by my experience in 8 years in Thailand.

Drumond is ONE BAD writer and each time he starts on something he leaves so many holes it begins to resemble Swiss cheese. Not so much that he gets things worng ( which he does many times) but simply leaves out important information cause he cant be bothered to check up on things. This has happened time and time again.

He seriously needs to find another means of employment :bah:

Expat businessman really that innocent? First off there is the question of a farang legally owning land/property. Being an experienced businessman I’m sure he knew what he was doing when he bought the properties. He only slept with here twice and she was then relegated to a housekeeper?? You got to be joking! No doubt that was story he came up with (didn’t want to share the house in a break up).

is there a map of these kind of happenings? Would be interesting to see the pattern of the so called unsolved cases and it would ultimately lead to the culprits. It happens far to often and not coincidently. Foreign governments with their respective Embassies need to step in as well. They do have liaison officers here. What are they doing? On the wrong side of their duties?

Andrew is doing a great job with his revelations. Thanks for that.

To my knowledge. many scams are conducted by foreign gangs too. I'm not saying that this is the case here but in general.

--- This why we need to map out all incidences, solved and unsolved, to follow the pattern.

Embassies have no interest in things like this. Its not their problem and it would take a lot of pressure from a lot of people (and media) to get the embassies to ever do anything (in any country). Thailand is full of these stories everyday and so embassies would be complaining to the Thai government and giving warnings to its people everyday as a result! This is contrary to embassies purpose which nowadays is too encourage business between countries to make revenue for big companies and help make rich people richer. Why do you think that most embassies have their Trade offices in the same buildings. They work hand in hand. Murders, mysterious deaths, scams, etc are not part of their business plans.

I agree, that has been my experience with my embassies in 3 different countries, unhelpful if not downright obstructive.

Sorry that is Bu##st, I am poor and undereducated but It doesn't make me go and steal money-property-kill-drink my head off-gamble. think of another excuse please---or is your g/f looking what you type B)

there are many ..... poor and uneducated...

they could break the barrier and g0t to the upper class ...

when they work hard and spend less than they can earn...(I've seen)

Jeez ................. these women don't like to work( their characteristics) ............. lottery and gamble.... are what they fancy...

Edited by dunkin2012

Expat businessman really that innocent? First off there is the question of a farang legally owning land/property. Being an experienced businessman I’m sure he knew what he was doing when he bought the properties. He only slept with here twice and she was then relegated to a housekeeper?? You got to be joking! No doubt that was story he came up with (didn’t want to share the house in a break up).

Exactly !

No difference between bar-girls or office workers or any other Thai women IMHO.

Another example of someone trying to get over Thai laws that clearly state no forang can own land. In some ways i feel sorry for him in others i feel he deserves it but of course his

no way did his children deserve what happened to them if that bit is true. As far as all Thais being scum this is nonsense I know many forang who cheat lie and do whatever to extract

money from the gullible. No one is immune from the con person but lets be honest. Here and in forangland many will take advantage and steal cheat lie and do whatever for money. Its

just here the opportunity is to great with so many forang trying to break thai land laws. rolleyes.gif my Thai wife of 15 years has everything in her name including our assets abroad. That way she

has little incentive to cheat me or worse but then I am one of those stupid forang who actually trust by wife 100% but she is the only one I would trust either amongst Thais or Forang.

Lesson dont try and get around Thai land law. It leads you totally exposed although. I think it would be a bit more difficult if buying a condo since that process is not full of tricks to own

the place.

• Like 1

No difference between bar-girls or office workers or any other Thai women IMHO.

nope............. disagree.....

if well educated mostly their families are wealthy..... no need to scam .... you........

and this type of women with heap of knowledge ....... smart enough to earn for the living

unlike bar girls............ little knowledge............ with Thai-Style English

they need support from you until the last day... or they kill you to get what you have if they don't like to live with you..

Edited by dunkin2012

I find it amazing that the most important and interesting point of this story hasn't been mentioned yet.

If somebody wants to invest his hard earned money into property in order to generate rental income why not do it in a country where you can actually own the property legally, e.g. in your home country ? Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to condone or excuse the evil behavior of this woman and her helpers in any way. But would you not agree that the fact to try and circumvent existing laws by some semi-legal constructions (forming a Thai company, 30 year lease etc.) makes one vulnerable for exactly these kind of rip-off ? Moreover, would you not agree that such a situation makes some shady Thai characters actually believing that they are entitled to 'defend the Thai law' and part the foreigner from his illegal investments ?

The first lesson any foreigner who wants to live in Thailand in relative peace and ease of mind should learn is to never invest into something you can't legally own. Leave your money where it is safe and always only send exactly that much as you really need.

exactly right and much better put that my reply further down written before reading yours. People listen you cant own land here period so dont try and use some tricks to do so. Its Karma in a way. But then i do feel sorry for guy particularly since he seemed to do right things but then Thai women when jilted can cause havoc and its likely she thought he should love her and care for her for life