Children Locked In Well As Expat Businessmen Is Robbed Of All His Property In Phuket

webfact

nope............. disagree.....

if well educated mostly their family are wealthy..... no need to scam .... you........

and these type of women with heap of knowledge ....... smart enough to earn for the living

unlike bar girls............ little knowledge............ with Thai-Style English

Fact is, they are all the same and generally all have the same attitude towards us, financial status notwithstanding.

The richest people in Thailand are probably the biggest criminals.

Incredible story..... especially him not knowing the rental income from his properties totaling 1 million baht had not been paid into his account. :whistling:

Enough material here for a Stephen Leather novel....

Absolutely true but I think we would feel it was over the top, if this were a novel, especially the bit about the housekeeper having a katoey boyfriend (never heard of a katoey having a female lover before - I hope he kept his naughty bits!). I suppose there's one born every minute and many of them decide to come and live in Phuket or Pattaya but Colin Vard seems to be one of the stupidest people to have ever been a millionaire. The relationship with the housekeeper was totally bizarre. The financial strategy of putting all his money into landed property in Thailand that he was not legally allowed to own. Letting the woman collect the rents and not following up. It all beggars belief and should probably be entered for a Darwin award.

If he were to succeed in recovering his properties, he would probably then be prosecuted by the Land Department for violation of the Land Act and could face imprisonment. Maybe he can even be prosecuted for his intention to break the law. Notwithstanding he has admitted enough that the Commerce Ministry may be obligated to prosecute for violation of the Foreign Business Act which is also an imprisonable offence.

• Like 1

nope............. disagree.....

if well educated mostly their family are wealthy..... no need to scam .... you........

and these type of women with heap of knowledge ....... smart enough to earn for the living

unlike bar girls............ little knowledge............ with Thai-Style English

Fact is, they are all the same and generally all have the same attitude towards us, financial status notwithstanding.

The richest people in Thailand are probably the biggest criminals.

it should read

The richest people are probably the biggest criminals.

be that anywhere

I find it amazing that the most important and interesting point of this story hasn’t been mentioned yet.

If somebody wants to invest his hard earned money into property in order to generate rental income why not do it in a country where you can actually own the property legally, e.g. in your home country ? Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to condone or excuse the evil behavior of this woman and her helpers in any way. But would you not agree that the fact to try and circumvent existing laws by some semi-legal constructions (forming a Thai company, 30 year lease etc.) makes one vulnerable for exactly these kind of rip-off ? Moreover, would you not agree that such a situation makes some shady Thai characters actually believing that they are entitled to ‘defend the Thai law’ and part the foreigner from his illegal investments ?

The first lesson any foreigner who wants to live in Thailand in relative peace and ease of mind should learn is to never invest into something you can’t legally own. Leave your money where it is safe and always only send exactly that much as you really need.

YES 100% :thumbsup:

Many newbie farangs come to Thailand believing that Thailand is some sort of Disney type paradise wonderland, the streets are paved with gold and that all Thai people love and respect the great white Ghana.

Those of wealth also believe that by throwing money and gifts around they can purchase the loyalty of women, have everything a Thai woman wants, can buy themselves best friends and have those which provide services jumping about for them because the philosophy is; those who hold the gold, determine the rules.

A person cannot own people or buy true friendship and respect. As a matter of fact this can have the opposite effect. Thai people can come to resent the presence of these foreigners in their land, the love and respect can quickly turn to hate.

In Thailand farangs are tolerated but not necessarily liked. I know that some of the opinions of the locals in my area are, farangs can live in Thailand because they can enjoy a better lifestyle and have all the benefits of Thailand far cheaper than in the home countries at the expense and labours of the working class Thais.

This is how many of them feel, probably the majority and there is no reasoning with some of these people.

We are second class citizens over here, whether we have truckloads of cash or not, but this is not strictly true because in most cases we are not even allowed to become citizens of this country.

Farangs who decide to lay their hats in Thailand should realise these facts and live over here accordingly by not taking too many risks or gambles and not putting too much trust in Thai people. Not because Thai people are bad, but because we are a people living in an alien land with virtually no statutory rights and extremely vulnerable.

Thailand is still a wonderful country to live, but just be realistic, aware and stay safe.

Very well written, Beetlejuice, wise words as I donot find often on this forum...

I have been reading the story here and followed the link and read the story there too (more than once!).

I still don't understand. When did the "well thing" happen? After the kidnapping and that the police brought back the boy?

So, she was in the house after that? With the 2 children? And where was the father then? On the run? Leaving his children in the house (with her)? Did somebody understand that part?

Is it the story that is "complicated"? Or is it the writing? Or maybe it is because my english is not so good.......I know strange things happen in Thailand, I leave here too......

I have been reading the story here and followed the link and read the story there too (more than once!).

I still don't understand. When did the "well thing" happen? After the kidnapping and that the police brought back the boy?

So, she was in the house after that? With the 2 children? And where was the father then? On the run? Leaving his children in the house (with her)? Did somebody understand that part?

Is it the story that is "complicated"? Or is it the writing? Or maybe it is because my english is not so good.......I know strange things happen in Thailand, I leave here too......

Sorry, I meant "live" here too....maybe the "hiatus" is revealing that I am really thinking about leaving.....

I have known Colin Vard for over 30 years. I have been in near daily contact with him trying my best to help him as he faced and dealt with (still dealing with) this horrendous ordeal, which started last July. I got a text from a very shocked and disbelieving Colin the day she disappeared. I met Nit on many many occasions, know his 2 children as an uncle and know every detail about this story.

I was there when all this broke and actually referred to it very briefly in one of my previous posts.

The facts as stated are true. He is no fool....someone who can accumulate such a portfolio is hardly stupid. The problem here? He trusted her...that's all. Pure and simple trust. He trusted the lawyers who aided and abetted this woman. He did not know the local police would verify the forged copies of his Chanote titles. He did not know the lawyer, who was "acting" for him, had altered papers and the company he formed to protect his interests. He did not know that the paper he was asked to sign before a court appearance to get his properties back, which thankfully he did not, was in fact to transfer all of his interests over to Nit. This was by his lawyer. This will all come out.

Your loyalty is commendable but, sorry, but he was a fool to attempt to invest apparently 100% of his wealth in a way that involved multiple criminal offences in Thailand. He was also a fool not to have any independent due diligence done by an unrelated law firm in Bangkok on the legal structure advised by a Phuket lawyer, since the transactions employing the structure represented a very material proportion of his net assets. This is not the first case of Thai lawyers transferring an ignorant farang's property to himself some one else and there are many similar cases documented on the Internet. Finally, after being already ripped off left right and centre by lawyers and the woman, he was going for a Darwin award by signing a piece of paper in a language he can't understand without having several independent translations done and double checked as well as without independent due diligence from a law firm.

I am not surprised the Irish Embassy has no interest in this case. They have more important priorities than getting bogged down with the case of a citizen who has fecklessly disembarassed himself of his wealth in Thailand through criminal activities. Their government is already bogged down in trying to dig the country out of the hole caused by the previous government fecklessly disembarassing the nation of its wealth through criminal activities.

• Like 1

I really can't understand why some of the people on this thread live here. :Thaiflag:

Maybe it's got something to do with the women they hate so much. :cheesy:

Nothing to do with that, I,m here cause i,m a sadist B) I love being ripped off, and love my 90 day visa runs, I love dicing with death on the roads, I love the fear of my property being confiscated all of a sudden. But isn't the weather super, and my shopping inexpensive.:lol:

• Like 1

==>I too know Colin Vard and he is a highly intelligent and successful business man. His tale is a cautionary one for any foreigner living in Thailand. Gentlemen be smug at your peril. Look at whatever documents you are in possession of and be assured that they are original. The leases, the Chanote's etc etc maybe they are counterfeit? Mr Drummond's story has many gaping holes in it! On arrival in Thailand Mr Vard formed a Thai company with the help of one of the leading International Law Firms. After placing his houses in the company and insuring that he had all the voting rights and was sole signatory with the 2 company stamps he decided to employ another International Law Firm to cover his back and draw up a separate contract with all the shareholders in which they signed away all their interests. He placed his trust in the solicitors and even had translations provided for every thing he signed. It turned out that the translations were bogus and the Solicitor counterfeited and switched his Chanote's. Look at how easy it was to transfer the ownership of his car... How many of you out there at some time leave your blue car book and passport out on view if only for a few minutes? Indeed how many of you have a signed copy of your passport in your desk? Well the housekeeper one afternoon when Mr Vard was out copied his passport and took the blue book to a Thai man who filled out all the transfer forms and virtually within the hour he had forged Mr Vard's signature and the car was transfered into the housekeepers name. Later that day the car was taken to a finance company and used as collateral for a 500,000 loan. This woman was never his girl friend. She lived with him for 10 years without incident. In that period she built up not only his trust but all of his friends and family too. She fooled us all. The problem here in Thailand is that the felons operate in the knowledge that the police will not investigate and charge their own. He was lucky he found 3 or 4 decent policemen who apologised to him for what had happened. The fraud against Mr Vard could not have happened unless she had help from dishonest bank officials, land office employees police men and lawyers. Mr Vard enjoyed his life as a single man in Thailand. He has had many girl friends but never wanted to form a lasting relationship. He erred one night and paid the price. He is guilty of taking on his responsibilities and taking care of this woman. His contribution to her restaurant was just 400K Baht a small sum he argued for a woman who worked for him for 10 years without incident. It also he reasoned took her off his payroll. Finally since Mr Vard's story has come to light it has been discovered that there are up to 12 other similar cases in Phuket at the moment. It is easy to knock others misfortune harder to come together as a force and insure that this can not happen to you. Maybe it all ready has and you just don't realise it yet? <==

I congratulate on your written skills that are far better than mine will ever be. However, I am having a hard time how you expect sympathy for Mr. Vard who went to great lengths to circumvent the law. He hired two sets of lawyers to ensure that he could exploit a loop hole in the law and get away with it. What's your point??

As to your comment "His contribution to her restaurant was just 400K Baht a small sum he argued for a woman who worked for him for 10 years without incident. It also he reasoned took her off his payroll" really irks me. Divide 400,000 baht by 10 and it works out to 40,000 baht ($1,200 ) a year with woman he had a child with. IMHO, here is a guy who is once again trying to take advantage of the situation. No doubt he felt pretty smug on how little he had paid compared to what he would have to pay in his home country. As previously mentioned "is really that innocent?"

Expat businessman really that innocent? First off there is the question of a farang legally owning land/property. Being an experienced businessman I’m sure he knew what he was doing when he bought the properties. He only slept with here twice and she was then relegated to a housekeeper?? You got to be joking! No doubt that was story he came up with (didn’t want to share the house in a break up).

Exactly !

Look no further than Mr Drummond incorrect interpretation of what happened! The woman was never his girl friend. She was employed from day one as a housekeeper and child minder and thats how it remained until she ran. How many of us drunk or sober have done the dirty deed and been fortunate that we did not add another sprog to the family tree ? How many of us have bought properties from respected legal firms and have not been ripped off? Even handed over checks for thousands if not millions of pounds or dollars.She got into debt borrowed money from the Mafia who then used her to defraud Mr Vard. She lived with him for over 10 years without a single incident. Never took as much as 100 Baht without asking. The simple fact is we must trust lawyers if not how can we hope to do business in Thailand or anywhere. Back home I have bought perhaps 10 houses with solicitors and never once were the title deeds in my possession. Now consider if your trusted solicitor unknowns to you transfered your properties into his name and sold them on. You would know bugger all until thes*it hit the fan. That is what happened here.

I really can't understand why some of the people on this thread live here. :Thaiflag:

Maybe it's got something to do with the women they hate so much. :cheesy:

Nothing to do with that, I,m here cause i,m a sadist B) I love being ripped off, and love my 90 day visa runs, I love dicing with death on the roads, I love the fear of my property being confiscated all of a sudden. But isn't the weather super, and my shopping inexpensive.:lol:

:D

Don't pay ,

get a years visa go to immigration office,

Can't argue with that

Don't buy any,

A bit strange lately,

Yep.

:thumbsup:

Expat businessman really that innocent? First off there is the question of a farang legally owning land/property. Being an experienced businessman I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he bought the properties. He only slept with here twice and she was then relegated to a housekeeper?? You got to be joking! No doubt that was story he came up with (didn't want to share the house in a break up).

Exactly !

Look no further than Mr Drummond incorrect interpretation of what happened! The woman was never his girl friend. She was employed from day one as a housekeeper and child minder and thats how it remained until she ran. How many of us drunk or sober have done the dirty deed and been fortunate that we did not add another sprog to the family tree ? How many of us have bought properties from respected legal firms and have not been ripped off? Even handed over checks for thousands if not millions of pounds or dollars.She got into debt borrowed money from the Mafia who then used her to defraud Mr Vard. She lived with him for over 10 years without a single incident. Never took as much as 100 Baht without asking. The simple fact is we must trust lawyers if not how can we hope to do business in Thailand or anywhere. Back home I have bought perhaps 10 houses with solicitors and never once were the title deeds in my possession. Now consider if your trusted solicitor unknowns to you transfered your properties into his name and sold them on. You would know bugger all until thes*it hit the fan. That is what happened here.

Well that is in fact a fairly correct summary except that the housekeeper was paid from day one. I doubt she borrowed money from the 'mafia' more like her senior associates took 90 per cent of what she made. The fact is that you have to have good local knowledge to know who the good lawyers are. Even all embassies issue disclaimers when they provide lists of lawyers and I have seen some bad ones on those lists.

Btw foreigners can own 49% property in Thailand through a company providing that company is a genuine working company.

There will however be tens of thousand of foreigners in Thailand who would lose their houses if the country followed its own laws to the letter, and the laws could be excercised at any time, just depends on who they decide to pick on.

Edited by andrewdrummond

I feel sorry for the ordeal his children have, and still are, going through, but I'm finding it difficult for find any sympathy for Mr. Vard himself. As noted by others, he circumvented Thai law by setting up companies to buy properties, which is a criminal act in and of itself, if you want to be "sticky" about the law, doing so with full knowledge of possible repercussions. Even if he manages to get all his property back, then he faces the very real possibility of criminal charges,and possibly prison or deportation for his actions that started this whole mess in setting up a company, or companies, to buy property he isn't legally allowed to buy to start with.

My sympathies are for the kids, and none for him.

==> Mr Vard enjoyed his life as a single man in Thailand. He has had many girl friends but never wanted to form a lasting relationship. He erred one night and paid the price. He is guilty of taking on his responsibilities and taking care of this woman. <==

Say what! He has had many girl fiends and had a child form unprotected sex??? My question is how are we suppose to see this in a favorable light and have sympathy for Mr. Vard?? If you had said he was president of the Lions Club and donated a lot of his time and money helping the poor I would be more sympathetic. Instead you have describe the ugly expat “stereo“ type – a guy living in a 45 million baht house, driving around in a flashy car, and picking up girls in the go-go bars. This begs the question where was he when his kids were allegedly been beaten by the housekeeper.

Expat businessman really that innocent? First off there is the question of a farang legally owning land/property. Being an experienced businessman I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he bought the properties. He only slept with here twice and she was then relegated to a housekeeper?? You got to be joking! No doubt that was story he came up with (didn't want to share the house in a break up).

Exactly !

Well that is in fact a fairly correct summary except that the housekeeper was paid from day one. I doubt she borrowed money from the 'mafia' more like her senior associates took 90 per cent of what she made. The fact is that you have to have good local knowledge to know who the good lawyers are. Even all embassies issue disclaimers when they provide lists of lawyers and I have seen some bad ones on those lists.

Btw foreigners can own 49% property in Thailand through a company providing that company is a genuine working company.

There will however be tens of thousand of foreigners in Thailand who would lose their houses if the country followed its own laws to the letter, and the laws could be excercised at any time, just depends on who they decide to pick on.

Absolutely wrong ! A foreigner cannot own any land in Thailand as clearly stated in the law. A Thai company can own land and a foreigner can hold up to 49% shares in a Thai company. That's exactly the loop-hole we were talking about earlier and it will be closed whenever the Thai authorities please to do so. Please do not mislead uninformed people into wrong assumptions hence making wrong decisions.

Horrible story!

I got goose bumps all over!

Because I know this guy, Colin Vard....

I met him recently when he was looking for property for rent, but I never imagined that he was actually "on the run"....and as far as I can understand from the article linked to this thread, then he is on the run with his children from the mafia in Phuket.

The mafia was/is behind the robbing og Colin´s property and money.

To settle the case the mafia obiously want Colin dead!

==> Mr Vard enjoyed his life as a single man in Thailand. He has had many girl friends but never wanted to form a lasting relationship. He erred one night and paid the price. He is guilty of taking on his responsibilities and taking care of this woman. <==

Say what! He has had many girl fiends and had a child form unprotected sex??? My question is how are we suppose to see this in a favorable light and have sympathy for Mr. Vard?? If you had said he was president of the Lions Club and donated a lot of his time and money helping the poor I would be more sympathetic. Instead you have describe the ugly expat “stereo“ type – a guy living in a 45 million baht house, driving around in a flashy car, and picking up girls in the go-go bars. This begs the question where was he when his kids were allegedly been beaten by the housekeeper.

Except for the fact that defamation is a criminal charge in Thailand and if he were so defamed without a news report and chose to pursue it we'd really hate to have to turn personal information over.

So, please report only on what has made the news, cheers.

Good advice... as always.

Never name names unless proven. Keep it vague until the whole story comes out.

I dont belive one word Do you honestly think anybody who has that ammount of money and brains to get it just lets anyone take his money to the bank , i am not a wealth person but i know where every penny of mine is and how much i am worth, people with money get money because they know how to use it, and make it, if this story is true then there is more to this story than is being reported.

Say what! He has had many girl fiends and had a child form unprotected sex??? My question is how are we suppose to see this in a favorable light and have sympathy for Mr. Vard?? If you had said he was president of the Lions Club and donated a lot of his time and money helping the poor I would be more sympathetic. Instead you have describe the ugly expat "stereo" type a guy living in a 45 million baht house, driving around in a flashy car, and picking up girls in the go-go bars. This begs the question where was he when his kids were allegedly been beaten by the housekeeper.

I have not seen any reference to flashy cars, driving around picking up girls in go go bars, nor any sign of any ugly expat except perhaps in this post. If he were a member of a local lions, rotary club, masonic lodge, I WOULD be suspicious though :-)

Edited by andrewdrummond

I offer you a slice of humble pie. I guess we must all be thankful that you are not a judge! Clearly you must know Mr Vard personally so that you can state that he had unprotected sex with this woman? And that he was an ugly expat 'Stereo" type living in a 45 million Baht house driving a flashy car and picking up girls from Go Go' bars. Well the only thing you got right in this posting is that he was a Lions Club member who donated his time and money to the poor. For your information he never frequented Go Go bars, and chose to drive a 35 year old Mazda pick up and a 10 year old Honda Click. When the children were put down the well he was at his daughters wedding in Europe,. He stayed just 5 days as he missed his kids in Thailand. Your comments are typical of the insensitive dross that appears all too often on Thai Visa. Come down from your high and mighty perch and thank whoever your God may be that you are perfect in every way!

Say what! He has had many girl fiends and had a child form unprotected sex??? My question is how are we suppose to see this in a favorable light and have sympathy for Mr. Vard?? If you had said he was president of the Lions Club and donated a lot of his time and money helping the poor I would be more sympathetic. Instead you have describe the ugly expat "stereo" type – a guy living in a 45 million baht house, driving around in a flashy car, and picking up girls in the go-go bars. This begs the question where was he when his kids were allegedly been beaten by the housekeeper.

I would not condone what she did and if it is true she putchildren down the well then she is obviously a vile evil creature. I think alot depends on when if and when he dumped her . If she had lived with him evenin a separate part and in effect was mother of the children or did all thingsnormally a mother would do then for 10 years she probably was used to a veryhigh standard of living. She probably even thought she was in effect his wifeand maybe suddenly saw she was going to loose all privileges and living he hadprovided for 10 years. He and his friends might have just thought she was thehousekeeper. She might have thought she was in effect his wife which apart fromsex she was. You don’t just take some poor person from here provide her meaningwell im sure with probably car and all trimmings of a rich life and then simplythink you can dump that person after 10 years for almost certainly less thanwas spent on a single family holiday. She was also probably used to going onnice family holidays.

It does not excuse it but could explain why and also whylocal police thought in effect she was his wife.

We have a full time maid who does not live with us. But sheis now considered part of the family. IF we can afford it we are morally andunder custom here obliged to keep her in employment for as long as she wants ofcourse provided she is honest. Also if she was in serious trouble we would feelobliged to help even though she has a husband and 2 sons.

As well as trying to get around the law even though heprobably thought he was being really kind it seems he might have been trying toget her of his back for peanuts taking into account what she was probably usedto.

I don't know what channeling is.

Its about a link to the subject matter being discused. I would like someone of authority to review the content of the link before posting. Is there someone I can send a private message with the link?

I can't follow what's going on here.

"Working with 'influential people' , well not to put too fine a point on it, criminals, she defrauded his of all his property, his car, and rent money she said she was depositing for him in the bank."

Who are the influential people...the housekeeper...Vard...who?

She defrauded his? His what? If 'his' refers to Vard, why would he be on the run (as indicated in the last paragraph).

Is there a version of this story that is written in coherent manner? It sounds like it might be interesting.

"Most foreigners looking for a woman, have relationships with girls from bars. Some of them are good, maybe 10 or 20 per cent, but most are not."

The old game. Get them out of the bar, but you'll never get the bar out of them. Maybe 2% are good? :jap:

If you lay down with the dogs from the bars then expect to be bitten. By all means enjoy yourself for an hour or so but then cut them loose. Thailand is full of decent educated beautiful women and there is no need to latch onto a smile and sweetmouth from the bars who have taken many a farang for a ride. With the decent educated ones you probably won't get your beautiful wife 30 + yrs younger than you but you will more than likely have a decent loving wife.

I don't know what channeling is.

Its about a link to the subject matter being discused. I would like someone of authority to review the content of the link before posting. Is there someone I can send a private message with the link?

Just pick a moderator and pm him/her and run it by them.