New 100-baht Notes From Oct 21

george

New 100-baht notes

CURRENCY :The Bank of Thailand will issue new 100-baht banknotes on Oct 21.

The new notes will be light orange in colour, with a picture of His majesty the King on the front and one of King Rama V in his naval uniform on the back. Additional illustrations on the back denote the abolition of slavery during the reign of King Rama V.

The existing 100-baht notes circulating in the market will remain valid, according to the central bank.

--Bangkok Post 2005-10-04

I wonder why do the Central Banks of countries change the currency notes. Its justified if the same note has been in circulation for decades and look old n dirty (like some of the 20 Baht notes look :o ) but i honestly dont understand the purpose of changing 100 Baht notes. They looked good to me :D

Edited by psychosid10

Fake notes would probably be the major reason. I have recently heard that there are Baht 1,000 fakes around.

The 1 and 2 baht coins have got me confused. The new 2 baht coin looks very similar to the 1 baht coin. They could have changed the design a bit more.

:o

BANK OF THAILAND WILL LAUNCH A NEW VERSION OF THE 100-BAHT BANKNOTE THIS MONTH

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) will launch a revised version of 100-baht banknotes on the occasion of the 100th year anniversary of the abolishment of slavery in Thailand.

Mr. NOPPHORN PRAMOTJANEE (นพพร ประโมจนีย์), the Managing Director of the country's banknote factory, said the front side of the bills would remain the same. However, the backside will be changed to portray the image of King CHULALONGKORN fully dressed in his Navy uniform. The royal insignia of the king would also be printed on the bill. Furthermore, the new banknotes will show King RAMA 5th's much-acclaimed conducts regarding the abolishment of slavery.

The newly modified version of the 100-baht bills will be released on October 21st. The BOT expects to complete the recollection of the previous version of banknotes within two years.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอังคารที่ 4 ตุลาคม 2548

Instead of bothering about new 100 baht notes, why not consider 2.500 and 5.000 baht notes, I dont dare mentioning 10.000 baht notes. It is downright ridiculous that the largest specimen is worth just 1.000 baht or about 20 euro! Not everywhere you can pay with your bank card . . . Ok, the big notes might not be THE thing for bars and restaurants but on many other occasions they would be very uselfull!

Edited by Sangsom

Instead of bothering about new 100 baht notes, why not consider 2.500 and 5.000 baht notes, I dont dare mentioning 10.000 baht notes.

I agree that a larger note would be useful but a reason why many govenments limit the size of their largest banknote is criminal activity. They would prefer that the folks who are involved in shall we say, underground cash transactions, cannot pack a large amount of currency into a small, easy-to-carry bundle. (This is why the United States removed bills over $100 from circulation in 1969.)

Fake notes would probably be the major reason. I have recently heard that there are Baht 1,000 fakes around.

The 1 and 2 baht coins have got me confused. The new 2 baht coin looks very similar to the 1 baht coin. They could have changed the design a bit more.

:D

I seem to remember a previous 2 baht coin...might be wrong :o

I agree that a larger note would be useful but a reason why many govenments  limit the size of their largest banknote is criminal activity.  They would prefer that the folks who are involved in shall we say, underground cash transactions, cannot pack a large amount of currency into a small, easy-to-carry  bundle.  (This is why the United States removed bills over $100 from circulation in 1969.)

With the introduction of the Euro there were immediately notes of 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euro, about 2.500, 5.000, 10.000 and 25.000 baht . . . seems to work when done properly and fakes are difficult to make! Criminal always find ways for their transactions. They don't need especially baht notes for that!

Anyway it is not as bad as in Burma where 1.000 Kyats (just over 1 dollar) is the largest note. Without ATM or anything like that ones carries really huge amounts of paper there!

Edited by Sangsom

:D

I seem to remember a previous 2 baht coin...might be wrong :o

You are right....some years ago a 2 baht coin was produced depicting HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

You are right....some years ago a 2 baht coin was produced depicting HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.

That was the coin that rubbed off on your skin and left your fingertips all grey, if I remember correctly.

Not many got into circulation and those that did didn’t remain there for long, which didn’t matter because, as a commemorative coin, it was anyway intended for collectors.

have you ever mistaken a 100 baht note with a 500 baht note?  I have.

...maybe they are trying to remedy this problem.

sounds like progress to me.

In poor lighting I tend to have to double check that I'm not handing over a 'purple' instead of a 'reddy'.

I hope the new notes are Dayglo Orange. :o

Interesting the mention of a need for larger notes.

I tend to have the opposite problem, being the tightwad that I am. I have trouble breaking down the 1,000 Baht notes into the 100's and 50's and 20-Baht notes that match what I usually like to buy. You need these smaller notes because certain vendors, taxi cab drivers and the like are famous for having insufficient change.

Try giving a taxi driver a 1,000 Baht note for that 80 Baht trip you just took.

So we see the range of economic disparity in the posts. :o

kenk3z

have you ever mistaken a 100 baht note with a 500 baht note?  I have.

...maybe they are trying to remedy this problem.

sounds like progress to me.

In poor lighting I tend to have to double check that I'm not handing over a 'purple' instead of a 'reddy'.

I hope the new notes are Dayglo Orange. :D

According to the OP they are to be `Light Orange` in colour......which could be even worse than the red ones....although I must confess that after a few drops of golden elixir most of em look the same anyway :o