3G Pattaya

NALAK

Hi i just wanted to know if anybody has experience with a dongle, not sure if thats is world wide term but its a usb type modem which sim card is inserted. i purchased AIS one last year tried it and it was slow, went back and AIS said yes its AIS dongle but not have 3G in Pattaya, usual con tricks. now my wife is convinced that true have it, she said she saw a demonstration some where and the guy was getting download speeds of 7 MB and streaming youtube no problem, this is on dak side, i am not convinced but maybe?. been into carrefore today and AIS, tru and DTAC advertising 3g, one shop said only true have it. just wanted clarification does pattaya have 3g internet yet. if so what speeds with dongle

thanks

It was recently discussed here

And since this is mobile internet technology, let's move it to the mobile internet subforum....

cool answer, just like jack would have said :lol: still on learning curve on this forum not sure whether it was best in this area or pattaya but answered well with the link below.

thanks Phil

Edited by NALAK

You'll never see 7 Mbps, this is the theoretical maximum speed the system is capable of, practically, for most mobile internet systems, getting half would already be extremely good!

I'm within reception area, slightly to the Eastern edge of it (between 50 and 60% signal strength), and I'm getting between 0,7 and 1,5 Mbps. Still can't watch youtube vids without endless buffering!

A lot better then Edge though, Skype works well, even with video, latency is low...

Surfing is pretty good as well.

Actually, it's just as well speeds are OK but not blistering fast, as the biggest (so called unlimited) package only allows for 3 GB of data per month, which actually is not all that much nowadays. Just regular surfing and a few small downloads (<20MB) and I'm already up to 370 MB is just 4 days, so I'm barely keeping within my allotted 100 Mb/day average, if I would download the odd highly compressed movie (at around 400 MB), I would bust my 3 GB halfway through the month.

Easily solved with a second simcard, but then it would not be so cheap at around 1500 Baht/month for both simcards...

You'll never see 7 Mbps, this is the theoretical maximum speed the system is capable of, practically, for most mobile internet systems, getting half would already be extremely good!

I'm within reception area, slightly to the Eastern edge of it (between 50 and 60% signal strength), and I'm getting between 0,7 and 1,5 Mbps. Still can't watch youtube vids without endless buffering!

A lot better then Edge though, Skype works well, even with video, latency is low...

Surfing is pretty good as well.

Actually, it's just as well speeds are OK but not blistering fast, as the biggest (so called unlimited) package only allows for 3 GB of data per month, which actually is not all that much nowadays. Just regular surfing and a few small downloads (<20MB) and I'm already up to 370 MB is just 4 days, so I'm barely keeping within my allotted 100 Mb/day average, if I would download the odd highly compressed movie (at around 400 MB), I would bust my 3 GB halfway through the month.

Easily solved with a second simcard, but then it would not be so cheap at around 1500 Baht/month for both simcards...

What machine are you using? I had that problem using my Netbook, but not with my laptop(which had a better graphics card). The only remedy for that is to let the video play through until the end(without sound). When it finishes, hit replay and it will play smoothly subsequently.

If you want to make larger downloads, you can get a SIM card with an time based package and swap over. That way you can save your volume based package for your general surfing over the month. Downloading at 70kB/s you can download at 4 MB per minute/240 MB per hour. So you all too easily can go over your 3GB data limit.

You can buy 5 hours for as little as 99 baht + VAT. That will cover you for up to three films and save your Volume Based package. So not that expensive at all.

The main annoyance is that it will make it more difficult for you to keep track of your usage.

The main annoyance is that it will make it more difficult for you to keep track of your usage.

The main annoyance is that to get good reception, my dongle is mounted on a 6 feet PVC pipe, on top of my ceiling, connected through a 15 feet USB cable.

Makes swapping simcards for every big download a bit of a hassle :)

The main annoyance is that to get good reception, my dongle is mounted on a 6 feet PVC pipe, on top of my ceiling, connected through a 15 feet USB cable.

Makes swapping simcards for every big download a bit of a hassle :)

Erm...yes. That could become tedious.