At least 13 people trapped after coalmine explosion in northern Mexico

News_Editor

At least 13 people trapped after coalmine explosion in northern Mexico

2011-05-04 05:46:10 GMT+7 (ICT)

COAHUILA, MEXICO (BNO NEWS) -- An explosion in a coal mine on Tuesday left at least 13 people trapped in Coahuila State, northern Mexico, El Universal newspaper reported.

The incident took place at about 8:45 a.m. local time in a coal mine located in Sabinas municipality, the coal-rich region of Coahuila. Authorities said that preliminary data indicated that the blast was caused by gas.

Furthermore, many workers were trapped in a well after the mine collapsed due to the explosion. Red Cross and rescue workers are trying to reach the trapped miners through another well.

One person was injured in the blast and taken to a nearby hospital. He had his arm amputated due to the severe wounds sustained. Rescuers believe that more workers might have been trapped as the mine was significantly damaged.

Mexico's President Felipe Calderon, while in a tour in Mexico State, assured that his government will fully support the rescue efforts and added that federal and state agencies are cooperating in the matter.

"We are praying that the trapped miners are alive and well. We are doing everything we can to rescue them, in full cooperation with the local authorities," said President Calderon.

The condition of the trapped miners is unknown as there has not been any communication with them. Labor Minister Javier Lozano Alarcon is travelling to the area in order to coordinate rescue efforts.

The coal mine is owned by BINSA mining company and is located about 350 kilometers (217 miles) from the state's capital Saltillo. Rescue efforts are being conducted by members of the Grupo Acerero del Norte.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-05-04