Pacquiao Vs Mosley

Does anyone know if this fight will be shown on Sophon TV?

The official fight time will be 8 am on Sunday morning (6 pm Saturday, May 7 in Las Vegas). Pacquiao vs Mosley

For this fight Top Rank has switched over to Showtime PPV instead of the usual HBO PPV. .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In answer to your question, no I don't know but I would recommend air conditioned bars like Shenanigans to see it.

That's where I watched Pacquiao's last fight, but I prefer watching at home if I can.

This could be one of the greatest fights of current time. What weight has Pacquiao gained to match Mosley? Does anyone know. Let's hope we can watch it in the comfort of our living room. Considering there is next to no sport on any of the local, or, satalite channels I think o0uor chances are slim. Go the Pacman

This could be one of the greatest fights of current time. What weight has Pacquiao gained to match Mosley? Does anyone know. Let's hope we can watch it in the comfort of our living room. Considering there is next to no sport on any of the local, or, satellite channels I think o0uor chances are slim. Go the Pacman

Here's a site with all the news about Pacquiao vs Mosley from every publication: Pacland

His last fight was on Thai channel 7 so there is a good chance we will see it. I just hope that the switch over to CBS/Showtime will not affect our chances of watching it at home.

The main event will probably not start until after 11 am (Thai time) because there are 4 undercard fights.

Thailand has a unique interest in Pacquaio because one of his 3 career defeats was at the hands of a Thai boxer, Medgoen Singsurat on 17 September 1999 - in Thailand (KO'ed in 3 rounds). He has fought Thai boxers 7 times in his professional career. Two of those fights including his loss were in Thailand.

This could be one of the greatest fights of current time. What weight has Pacquiao gained to match Mosley? Does anyone know. Let's hope we can watch it in the comfort of our living room. Considering there is next to no sport on any of the local, or, satalite channels I think o0uor chances are slim. Go the Pacman

Manny does not struggle to make weight and is typically close to 149 punds come fight night. In his last firht agaisnt Antonio Margharito, Manny came in to the ring weighing around 150 whilst Margarito blew up to 169 and left the with his face badly bruised. When told of the weight difference, Manny;s trainer Freddy Roach said, "good, We wouldn't mind it if he went up to 180." Manny had a terrible training camp for that fight. For this one, Freddy is on the record saying he has had the best training camp ever. You can get a closer look at SI.com and I believe cbs360. Anyone who has more locations showing the fight around town please post here. I don't remember seeing the fight on Witherspoons chalkboard out front but will take another look today.

Edited by dananderson

Manny does not struggle to make weight ...

I thought maybe you'd find this interesting...

He came into the September 1999 fight with Medgoen "3K Battery" Singsurat overweight. Going into this fight he held the WBC Flyweight title, but was stripped of this title before the fight because he came in overweight (over the 112 limit for flyweight).

He was KO'ed in the 3rd round, but interestingly it was from a flush straight right to his body while he was against the ropes - a rather unusual way to be KO'ed

He came into the September 1999 fight with Medgoen "3K Battery" Singsurat overweight. Going into this fight he held the WBC Flyweight title, but was stripped of this title before the fight because he came in overweight (over the 112 limit for flyweight).

He was KO'ed in the 3rd round, but interestingly it was from a flush straight right to his body while he was against the ropes - a rather unusual way to be KO'ed

I am very much aware of Manny's record. He has not lost a fight in 6 years. He has sold out Dallas Cowboy's new football stadium twice. He is the biggest boxing Icon since Ali. He dodges nobody and has a solid chin. He is a 9 to 1 favorite in this fight. Shame Maywether does not have the stones to get in the ring with him. De la Hoya and Coto did and got knocked out. You had to go all the way back to the beggining of his career for that "gem" speaks volumes to me.

Jamesons Irish Bar is showing the fight live from 9AM Sunday morning onwards. Not sure when the 'main event' starts, but I suspect around 11AM.

Hope this helps those near Pattaya Klang.

Andrew

Witherspoons is showing it Andrew. I also am not sure how many fights are on tap prior to the main event. I am curious as well for the expected start time of the main event. It is in Vegas, which is west coast time btw. dan

I am very much aware of Manny's record. He has not lost a fight in 6 years. He has sold out Dallas Cowboy's new football stadium twice. He is the biggest boxing Icon since Ali. He dodges nobody and has a solid chin. He is a 9 to 1 favorite in this fight. Shame Maywether does not have the stones to get in the ring with him. De la Hoya and Coto did and got knocked out. You had to go all the way back to the beggining of his career for that "gem" speaks volumes to me.

What does it "speak volumes" about? I'm about as big a Pacquiao fan as you will find. My wife comes from the same area of the Philippines as Manny, speaks the same language (Bisaya) and has relatives who boxed and knew him when he was a young upstart. The whole family and I fanatically follow his every move.

The historical info regarding Manny's defeat in Thailand was included not to belittle your knowledge, but to offer some interesting reading for others and I thought it it would be of particular interest to people who live in Thailand.

You said he never had trouble making weight, so it was quite ironic that he actually was stripped of a title for coming in overweight. He was also overweight for his fight with Rustico Torrecampo 3 years earlier, requiring him to wear heavier gloves.

Boxing is like that. Numbers follow the boxer for his entire career, so when people see he's 52 - 3 -2 they maybe interested in learning about the nature of the 3 and the 2.

Thai tv will show this at 10 AM. Not live though.

Which TV channel is that? If it's shown at 10 am it will be live because that is approximately the time the fight will take place depending on how long the undercard events go on for.

Witherspoons is showing it Andrew. I also am not sure how many fights are on tap prior to the main event. I am curious as well for the expected start time of the main event. It is in Vegas, which is west coast time btw. dan

The official start time in Las Vegas is 6 pm, which is 8 am Sunday morning in Thailand. There are 4 undercard fights.

I'll bite on this.

Just a little bit more trivia.

When I'm in the province with my wife I often hear the word "pakyaw" spoken. I used to think they were talking about Manny Pacquiao until I discovered that "pakyaw" means "to buy wholesale", or "wholesale". The Spanish took this Cebuano word and made it the surname "Pacquiao", coincidentally a very appropriate name for Manny Pacquiao.

Manny does not struggle to make weight and is typically close to 149 punds come fight night. In his last firht agaisnt Antonio Margharito, Manny came in to the ring weighing around 150 whilst Margarito blew up to 169 and left the with his face badly bruised. When told of the weight difference, Manny;s trainer Freddy Roach said, "good, We wouldn't mind it if he went up to 180." Manny had a terrible training camp for that fight. For this one, Freddy is on the record saying he has had the best training camp ever. You can get a closer look at SI.com and I believe cbs360. Anyone who has more locations showing the fight around town please post here. I don't remember seeing the fight on Witherspoons chalkboard out front but will take another look today.

I like Manny (and who doesn't) but I found this a bit odd as Manny has recently been voted into the Philippine Congess - Congressman Manny. I would have thought that his FULL-TIME job representing the people who voted him into office would have cut into his training. Apparently I'm wrong once again.

But back to the original topic, I'll just avoid any sports news for the morning when the fight is being telecast and DL it later in the day. This guy's incredible to watch with the flurry of hard and accurate punches he can deliver. I wonder how his oppents feel before they get into get ring with him. We know how they usually feel after getting out of the ring with him -- extremely sore.

I like Manny (and who doesn't) but I found this a bit odd as Manny has recently been voted into the Philippine Congess - Congressman Manny. I would have thought that his FULL-TIME job representing the people who voted him into office would have cut into his training. Apparently I'm wrong once again.

Manny was sworn in as Congressman in June last year. This is his 2nd training camp as Congressman. As with all Congressmen he has an office with competent staff to take care of business while he is away and does keep up to date with his work during his 2 month training camp. The reason he does his first month of training in Baguiao is to be closer to his job. Sometimes he flies to Manila to take care of business.

As a national hero he is given special leave to train. There is no one in the Philippines (past of present) as popular as Manny Pacquaio.

There have been a few debates amongst his peers that he should not fight and concentrate on his job, but most agree he is of more benefit to the Philippines as an active fighter who brings much glory to his country. He won't be at it for much longer - maybe a year, maybe two and that's it.

The remarkable thing is that he is inactive for 4 months between fights as his fight camps are only 2 months in duration yet he comes in with amazing conditioning.

What does it "speak volumes" about? I'm about as big a Pacquiao fan as you will find. My wife comes from the same area of the Philippines as Manny, speaks the same language (Bisaya) and has relatives who boxed and knew him when he was a young upstart. The whole family and I fanatically follow his every move.

The historical info regarding Manny's defeat in Thailand was included not to belittle your knowledge, but to offer some interesting reading for others and I thought it it would be of particular interest to people who live in Thailand.

You said he never had trouble making weight, so it was quite ironic that he actually was stripped of a title for coming in overweight. He was also overweight for his fight with Rustico Torrecampo 3 years earlier, requiring him to wear heavier gloves.

Boxing is like that. Numbers follow the boxer for his entire career, so when people see he's 52 - 3 -2 they maybe interested in learning about the nature of the 3 and the 2.

With all due respect I am refferring to Manny's current weight class, not the beggining of his career or decade before last and many weight class's ago. If your comments were not directed at me then why did you parse my statement/frame it, then directly comment towards me. Please

Edited by dananderson

With all due respect I am refferring to Manny's current weight class, not the beggining of his career or decade before last and many weight class's ago. If your comments were not directed at me then why did you parse my statement/frame it, then directly comment towards me. Please

The comments were directed at you and anyone else reading this thread. This is the nature of open forums. How was I to know you were an expert on Pacquaio? The information I gave about his early career is not widely known and you didn't qualify your statements.

There's an obvious reason why he now never has trouble making weight. It's because he's fighting at weights above his natural weight - which would be no higher than junior welterweight.

Although I'd love to see him fight Mayweather, the fight which intrigues me is a possible match with Sergio Martinez. Pacquiao seems ok with it although his trainer and promoter feel it's taking on too much. Pacquiao is truly fearless. Beating Martinez would elevate him to God-like status.

Tropo, I agree as I should have qualified my statement. I don't fancy myself as an expert(on anything), more like a huge boxing fan for decades. Moving on. I think Manny took this fight, as Mosely fought Mayweather recently and Manny stated he will knock Shane out. I don't think Mosely has been KO'd as a pro. The mega money fight for Manny would be Mayweather so I think he will be giving boxing fans some food for thought, should he accomplish his goal. Curious if anyone knows if the fight will be shown live on any of the local Sophon cable channels here in Pattaya? Cheers all, dan

Edited by dananderson

Am going to call True in the morning to find out if it's on, Normally they have all the big fights, But am not sure if this fight will be on because showtime have bought all the rights for it in the US.. And true normally only show the HBO fights.

Just been on the Astro website and found this below..

BOXING - World Welterweight Championship: Manny "PacMan" Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs) vs. "Sugar" Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) [LIVE] Show Date: 8 May 2011 (Channel 971) Astro Box Office

Subscribe at the early bird price before 6 May 2011: RM39.95

Subscribe from 6 May 2011 onwards: RM49.95

Tropo, I agree as I should have qualified my statement. I don't fancy myself as an expert(on anything), more like a huge boxing fan for decades. Moving on. I think Manny took this fight, as Mosely fought Mayweather recently and Manny stated he will knock Shane out. I don't think Mosely has been KO'd as a pro. The mega money fight for Manny would be Mayweather so I think he will be giving boxing fans some food for thought, should he accomplish his goal. Curious if anyone knows if the fight will be shown live on any of the local Sophon cable channels here in Pattaya? Cheers all, dan

Dan,

I believe this fight is very dangerous for Pacquiao, Nobody is giving Mosley a chance but i am and have even put money on him as you are getting great odds 7/1 for the win & 25/1 for a KO in the first three rounds so hopefully it comes in. I am also a massive fan of boxing i don't believe Pacquiao deserves all this hype he is getting he needs to fight a creditable fighter that is in his prime all he is doing right now is hand picking his opponents all who are washed up and coming off of loses or have struggled to win their fight. until he faces a decent fighter I am refusing to rate him even in my top ten boxers of all time...

But i totally agree with you and think he really needs to fight Mayweather.

I am also a massive fan of boxing i don't believe Pacquiao deserves all this hype he is getting he needs to fight a creditable fighter that is in his prime all he is doing right now is hand picking his opponents all who are washed up and coming off of loses or have struggled to win their fight. until he faces a decent fighter I am refusing to rate him even in my top ten boxers of all time...

Your comment that Pacquiao is hand picking his opponents is just plain insulting to a guy who's taken on all comers. He's fighting the best there is to fight right now, that's all he can do. He's even going up in weight to seek them out. They've already tried twice to make a fight with Mayweather but he continues to find excuses not to fight because he knows what you haven't realised yet - he's just too good.

Who should he have fought that he hasn't? Pacquaio is fearless. He's fighting guys with big reach, height and weight advantages. It's no accident he's listed as the current pound for pound champ by all boxing experts.

I am also a massive fan of boxing i don't believe Pacquiao deserves all this hype he is getting he needs to fight a creditable fighter that is in his prime all he is doing right now is hand picking his opponents all who are washed up and coming off of loses or have struggled to win their fight. until he faces a decent fighter I am refusing to rate him even in my top ten boxers of all time...

Your comment that Pacquiao is hand picking his opponents is just plain insulting to a guy who's taken on all comers. He's fighting the best there is to fight right now, that's all he can do. He's even going up in weight to seek them out. They've already tried twice to make a fight with Mayweather but he continues to find excuses not to fight because he knows what you haven't realised yet - he's just too good.

Who should he have fought that he hasn't? Pacquaio is fearless. He's fighting guys with big reach, height and weight advantages. It's no accident he's listed as the current pound for pound champ by all boxing experts.

Trop,

Who has he fought that is in thier prime, lets have a look at his last five fights whichs has made him hit the stardom big time..

1. Oscar De La Hoya - Washed up, weight drained & dehydrated not made 147 for years. his prime boxing weight would normally be entering the rig at 162 lbs. Incidentally i picked Manny for this one

2. Ricky Hatton - Past his prime, Mayweather took his last war out of the guy & it showed he was never an elite fighter. Only had hart and a good chin, most of his career.

3. Miguel Cotto - Damaged goods, He took a beating from a guy who loaded his gloves with plaster, He was never the same again.

4. Joshua Clottey - Really bad boxer was never in the fight to win it, He was only there because he had the same promoter as Manny.

5 . Antonio Margarito - or should i say chetito since being caught with his gloves loaded with plaster, never been able to dominate any fighter.

If you want to go further i can, am not taken anything away from manny he is a good boxer but he is not as good as everyone thinks he is. Not by along shot

If you want to go further i can, am not taken anything away from manny he is a good boxer but he is not as good as everyone thinks he is. Not by along shot

The only reason we're having this debate in the first place was because you suggested Pacquiao is hand-picking his opponents. He ran out of opponents in the lighter weight divisions and the rest is history. I have no interest in where you place him in historical ranking. One thing's for sure - he's now the highest earning boxer in history. Everyone wants a piece of him.

If you think he is hand-picking his opponents, who do you feel he should have fought? Who has he been ducking in favour of easier opponents. Here's a chance for you to back up your claim.

Even Mayweather doesn't agree with you. He feels he's too good and must be taking PED hence his insistence that he take extra tests. Now he feels the need for a tuneup fight before facing Pacquiao - if that ever happens.

If Sugar Ray Leonard was still in his prime Pacquiao would be fighting him. He can only fight the best available in his own era. Who are those amazing talents that you think Pacquiao should be fighting to prove he's the best of his era?

BTW, are you British?