Pacquiao Vs Mosley

In my opinion Manny is one the all time best. I have him in the same regard as Ali and Marvin Hagler. It should be an interesting fight. I think Mosley exposed Mayweather's vuneralability when he staggered him with one punch but just couldn't seal the deal. I think Shane is a definate step up in competition since Shane KO''D Margharito, although Manny did let up when he fought AM in the last round and a half. Both fighters are a class act imho There is a rematch clause in this fight btw should Manny lose.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion Manny is one the all time best. I have him in the same regard as Ali and Marvin Hagler. It should be an interesting fight. I think Mosley exposed Mayweather's vuneralability when he staggered him with one punch but just couldn't seal the deal. I think Shane is a definate step up in competition since Shane KO''D Margharito, although Manny did let up when he fought AM in the last round and a half. Both fighters are a class act imho There is a rematch clause in this fight btw should Manny lose.

It's interesting to hear opinions on the last 2 rounds against Margarito. It looked like he was easing up - even the commentators thought so, but I've also heard that he was out of steam from some punishing body shots he took a few rounds earlier - he was hurting. Only Pacquiao would know the truth. Freddy Roach has told Pac that his job is to go for the knockout and that there's more money in it.

Pacquiao has said on record that if he was the one who hurt Mayweather as Shane did in the 2nd round of their fight, he would have taken him out - and I believe him. The remarkable thing about Pacquiao is that whenever he gets hit hard it seems to light him up.

PS. Weigh-in Shane 147lbs, Pacman 145lbs

Edited by tropo

Only about 12 hours to go before D-day.

Here's some recent quotes from Pacquiao:

MANNY PACQUIAO:

"(Re Floyd Mayweather) It's hard to judge him, I don't really know if he don't want to fight me or not, it's really hard to judge...

It's a big honor to me and to my family.

"Shane Mosley is still strong, he can still move like he is 29 or 30 years old. He is bigger than me and stronger and he is a former pound for pound champion.

"(Busy with activitities outside boxing) I like to do a lot of things in my life, to motivate myself. I am hapy and enjoying the things (singing), I'm very happy at what I am doing.

"On the Margarito fight, it's you know...it's kind of fight this with Mosley is better because he is fast, has good speed and power. Mosley throws a lot of punches and it is good for us to show a good fight.

"I have trained hard for this fight.

"We are ready to fight. I can adjust right away in the ring whatever his style is.

"I can fight anybody.

"We're not really focused for the knockout, we just work hard and if the knockout comes, it comes. But we have prepared ourself for 12 rounds. If the knockout comes, we're excited for that. I'm more concerned about (what kind of) fight or performance we can give to the fans.

"I'm just excited to get back to the ring.

"I rested totally after the Margarito fight. I focused totally on my job (Congressman from Sarangani).

"I'm hungry, excited, motivated because I missed boxing.

I managed to find a programme schedule for Thai Channel 7 (www.ch7.com). They are showing it but have it slotted in at 10am - 11am. I have no idea how they are going to work that considering we cannot know the exact time of the main event.

A Google English translation of the schedule on Thai Channel 7 reads as follows:

"Satellite broadcasting. Boxing World Championship competition. Travel Web version of Peter Tong between Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley of the United States".

I cannot copy and paste the Thai version but maybe a Thai speaker can try that.

Thanks Troppo for starting this thread, you've added some interesting posts and made a good read of it. ;)

Had to giggle about your "pakyao" language observation. I have also heard people say this word and didnt know what to make of it. At first i thought the same, that maybe they were talking of the man, but discounted that since older villagers at a remote market near Surin are unlikely to be boxing fans. I'd wondered if was something similiar to "pak-yoo" or if they might be reffering to a certain vegetable or something..haha. Interesting to hear your report on the real verdict.

Also agree with you on your thoughts about Pacman. How anyone can dispute his greatness is beyond me...you only have to look at his record and his long lasting form. Even though his last 5 werent spectacular defeats, he already has fought some great contenders for mine..and not all of them have been cakewalks either.

Saying he has only fought washed up has beens is ridiculous IMO..As you said, there IS no-one left in pacmans class that can do the job.

The other posters opinions (about only fighting has beens) reminded me of Australia's Anthony Mundine..who i'd regard as the undisputed champion of fighting has beens.:rolleyes:

Interesting how Mundine always mouths off about being the best in the world, yet in the comment below, regarding Sonny Bill Williams (Sydney morning herald,8th May,2011) he is quick to name his aspirations but not once (to my knowledge anyway) has he mentioned Manny.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/mundine-lightens-up-with-a-view-to-becoming-one-of-the-heavyweights-20100629-zj9r.html

''I have already said that I want to fight Floyd Mayweather eventually but obviously there are a few guys in the way like Margarito and Cotto and this is the first step,'' Mundine said.

''I want to become the first man in boxing history to drop three divisions and win world titles. I mean dozens have been champions in multiple divisions rising in weight but no one has done it going down in three divisions. That is something for the record books and that is what is pushing me and motivating me. This is the first time I have fought in this weight division so we will see what happens and how the body responds but if I can make this weight and still fight like I know I can then it is going to take a very, very great man to beat me.''

Watch fights at The Captain's Bar & Guesthouse, soi Honey on the south side about 75m below soi Buakhao.

Gerry, the Captain, is a huge fan and the bar has many pics of him with Ali, DLH and many other greats.

Gerry is also a personal friend of Michael Katsidis - bonus for Ozzie fight fans!

Pacquiao does not need to fight Mayweather, he has nothing to prove. Its the other way around- Fraud has fought only twice in 2-3 years and has ducked top guys except Shane.

Edited by johnnyk

The other posters opinions (about only fighting has beens) reminded me of Australia's Anthony Mundine..who i'd regard as the undisputed champion of fighting has beens.:rolleyes:

Interesting how Mundine always mouths off about being the best in the world, yet in the comment below, regarding Sonny Bill Williams (Sydney morning herald,8th May,2011) he is quick to name his aspirations but not once (to my knowledge anyway) has he mentioned Manny.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/boxing/mundine-lightens-up-with-a-view-to-becoming-one-of-the-heavyweights-20100629-zj9r.html

''I have already said that I want to fight Floyd Mayweather eventually but obviously there are a few guys in the way like Margarito and Cotto and this is the first step,'' Mundine said.

''I want to become the first man in boxing history to drop three divisions and win world titles. I mean dozens have been champions in multiple divisions rising in weight but no one has done it going down in three divisions. That is something for the record books and that is what is pushing me and motivating me. This is the first time I have fought in this weight division so we will see what happens and how the body responds but if I can make this weight and still fight like I know I can then it is going to take a very, very great man to beat me.''

I wanted to bring up the "R" word earlier in this thread but decided against it, but you've tempted me.

If Mundine loses against an African-American fighter (Mayweather), or a Latino champion (Cotto, Margarito) he doesn't lose face as these boxers (nationalities) have always been renowned as top contenders. If he loses to a pint sized Asian (Filipino), he's going to feel very small. There's a lot of racism toward Asians in the boxing business. They have never been considered as real contenders and given the respect they deserve. Of course a lot has to do with their size and the fact they mainly fight in the light divisions. Pacquiao is an undersized welterweight who couldn't even make the weight limit yesterday (145lbs).

I'm going to use Chris John, an Indonesian featherweight champion as an example. He's currently 45 - 0 - 2 with 22 KO. Has anyone heard of him? 45 - 0...that's pretty good isn't it? He's never been beaten. He will retire soon as the best featherweight the world has ever seen. He's defended his title 13 times.

Perhaps many would be shocked to learn he beat Juan Manuel Marquez on March 4, 2006. Pacquiao offered him a rematch after they drew their first fight 2 years earlier but he took on Chris John instead and lost in a 12 round decision (of course in true JMM style he claims he was robbed there too)... then he came back and begged Pacquiao who was already starting to move up in weight for a fight and continually taunted him saying he actually won their first fight and was robbed. JMM likes to keep this fight a well guarded secret as the fight was held in Indonesia and few people watched it.

The point is that it is difficult for Asian (Filipino, Thai, Indonesian) boxers to gain respect. It's also difficult for them to get good fights. Fortunately Pacquiao and more recently Nonito Donaire are helping to change that. It doesn't help when the likes of Floyd Mayweather and his father (and uncle) are constantly making racist comments about Pacquiao and his country. More recently Bernard Hopkins was questioning Pacquiao's ability to beat an African-American boxer.

Mosley was not a worthy opponent, pretty disappointing fight to be honest.......

Agreed. Mosley never really got on the offensive as everyone thought he might so it was kind of like a Mayweather snoozefest with Mosley walking backwards nearly the whole fight and especially after Pacquaio hurt him and knocked him down (round 3 or 4 - can't remember). It was just slightly more interesting than the Clottey fight last year. It was quite easy for Mosley with his reach and height advantage to keep Pacquaio away. I've never seen Pacquiao miss so many punches. It's a recipe for a boring fight - a short fighter trying to hit a defensive tall fighter. Styles really do make fights.

I think 2 judges gave Pacquiao every round and one judge awarded one round to Mosley... the round where he was pushed down (10?) might have been scored as a knock down by that judge.

Another problem I saw here - these fighters were too buddy-buddy. They had too much respect for one another.

Now everyone is going to analyze how a match up with Mayweather will go. It could be another really boring fight.

What was the fight before?

Wilfredo Vazquez Jr. vs Jorge Arce for the WBO Junior Featherweight title.

Arce won by TKO in the 12th round. His father threw in the towel.

How could he have won by a TKO if his father threw the towel in

Tropo, it was the third round when Mosley hit the canvas after attacking Manny's fist with his face. One punch put Mosley down. After that Mosley spent the rest of the fight backpeddling, holding/clinching and head butting which ultimatly led to a fight that did not live up to expectations. Manny apologised afterwords as his legs stiffined up in rounds 5/6, as he did want to chase him down and force Mosley into more exchanges. In defeat Mosley told the pacman that he "was now the best pound for pound boxer." I lost a lot of respect for Mosley in the end, for what it's worth.

Sorry, Vazquez's father threw in the towel - and water bottle.

He wasn't counted out.

He wasn't counted out.

That's why it's called a TKO, not a KO.

Tropo, I agree as I should have qualified my statement. I don't fancy myself as an expert(on anything), more like a huge boxing fan for decades. Moving on. I think Manny took this fight, as Mosely fought Mayweather recently and Manny stated he will knock Shane out. I don't think Mosely has been KO'd as a pro. The mega money fight for Manny would be Mayweather so I think he will be giving boxing fans some food for thought, should he accomplish his goal. Curious if anyone knows if the fight will be shown live on any of the local Sophon cable channels here in Pattaya? Cheers all, dan

Dan,

I believe this fight is very dangerous for Pacquiao, Nobody is giving Mosley a chance but i am and have even put money on him as you are getting great odds 7/1 for the win & 25/1 for a KO in the first three rounds so hopefully it comes in. I am also a massive fan of boxing i don't believe Pacquiao deserves all this hype he is getting he needs to fight a creditable fighter that is in his prime all he is doing right now is hand picking his opponents all who are washed up and coming off of loses or have struggled to win their fight. until he faces a decent fighter I am refusing to rate him even in my top ten boxers of all time...

But i totally agree with you and think he really needs to fight Mayweather.

YES! This Exactly.

Tropo, I agree as I should have qualified my statement. I don't fancy myself as an expert(on anything), more like a huge boxing fan for decades. Moving on. I think Manny took this fight, as Mosely fought Mayweather recently and Manny stated he will knock Shane out. I don't think Mosely has been KO'd as a pro. The mega money fight for Manny would be Mayweather so I think he will be giving boxing fans some food for thought, should he accomplish his goal. Curious if anyone knows if the fight will be shown live on any of the local Sophon cable channels here in Pattaya? Cheers all, dan

Dan,

I believe this fight is very dangerous for Pacquiao, Nobody is giving Mosley a chance but i am and have even put money on him as you are getting great odds 7/1 for the win & 25/1 for a KO in the first three rounds so hopefully it comes in. I am also a massive fan of boxing i don't believe Pacquiao deserves all this hype he is getting he needs to fight a creditable fighter that is in his prime all he is doing right now is hand picking his opponents all who are washed up and coming off of loses or have struggled to win their fight. until he faces a decent fighter I am refusing to rate him even in my top ten boxers of all time...

YES! This Exactly.

Ok then, you agree with the above nonsense. Assuming the fight with Maynever never happens, who would suggest Pacquiao fights next?

The reality is that besides Mayweather there are no worthy opponents. His next opponent is probably going to be Marquez. Pac will make quick work of him. He's also past his prime and looking for retirement pay.

You would belittle a boxer who has gone up in weight to find worthy opponents and beaten them all? Incredible.

Dan,

YES! This Exactly.

Ok then, you agree with the above nonsense. Assuming the fight with Maynever never happens, who would suggest Pacquiao fights next?

The reality is that besides Mayweather there are no worthy opponents. His next opponent is probably going to be Marquez. Pac will make quick work of him. He's also past his prime and looking for retirement pay.

You would belittle a boxer who has gone up in weight to find worthy op

onents and beaten them all? Incredible.

Hold on partner. I'm not belittling anyone. I like Manny as a person and as a "fighter." But I'm a fan of boxing more so than individual fighters. The above statement about Manny fighting washed up fighters or fighters coming off loses is true. And if you don't think so then please say how it is incorrect. Manny's previous fights, going back to Oscar, have all been against no risk fighters who were weight drained, coming off losses, damaged, convicted cheats, unable to get a proper license or just there for the pay check. A true fan of the sport should know that.

Additionally, the fight with Floyd would have happened a long time ago if Manny would have taken the test. That's a whole other story that Manny fans go crazy over. But in fact, it would be good for the sport of boxing if he'd take the test. It's not like he'd be the only one being tested.

Mayweather vs Mosley - Pacquiao EXPOSED

If the link fails you can find this yourself. It's not a smear campaign. Just some very interesting facts.

Additionally, the fight with Floyd would have happened a long time ago if Manny would have taken the test. That's a whole other story that Manny fans go crazy over. But in fact, it would be good for the sport of boxing if he'd take the test. It's not like he'd be the only one being tested.

If the link fails you can find this yourself. It's not a smear campaign. Just some very interesting facts.

Don't worry, I'm fully aware of the controversy over Mayweather's insistence that Pacman take additional tests which no boxer in history has ever had to take before a fight. I've also read just about every article in print about the fight on Saturday.

If you're convinced that Mayweather is still a man and not a coward, then so be it. There's nothing I can say on here to change your mind.

I suppose you take exception that Pacquiao was named the fighter of the last decade and he's the current pound for pound. Does this mean you're the man with the facts and everyone else is dreaming?

Why does Fraud get to specify which tests? Who the frick is he? God?

FACTS:

1) Pacquiao was absolutely willing to take the Nevada Commission tests.

2) Finally, Pacquiao said he would test the way Fraud wanted it done.

3) Fraud, bluff called, invented an excuse to get out of the fight.

Fraud turned down $8 million to fight Margarito about four years ago.

Manny gave away 15 lbs and 6 inches in height and beat up Margarito badly, breaking his orbital bone.

Fraud needed 10 rounds, assisted by the ringpost to get rid of Fatton who was actually in the fight the first four rounds.

Manny took Fatton out with a punch.

Fraud ducked Cotto.

Manny beat the tar out of Cotto.

Fraud fought natural lghtweight JMM at welterweight knowing JMM at 36 years old was faded and 10-12 lbs too heavy and slow. Fraud managed to come in overweight, too, thumbing his nose.

Manny fought JMM twice when JMM was in his prime.

Judah and Mosley both hurt Fraud. To think Manny couldn't catch him and hit him is fantasyland ("He can run but he can't hide" - Joe Louis).

BOTTOM LINE: Manny fights, Fraud doesn't.

Edited by johnnyk

Why does Fraud get to specify which tests? Who the frick is he? God?

FACTS:

Manny gave away 15 lbs and 6 inches in height and beat up Margarito badly, breaking his orbital bone.

Fraud needed 10 rounds, assisted by the ringpost to get rid of Fatton who was actually in the fight the first four rounds.

Fraud ducked Cotto.

Fraud fought natural lghtweight JMM at welterweight knowing JMM at 36 years old was faded and 10-12 lbs too heavy and slow. Fraud managed to come in overweight, too, thumbing his nose.

Judah and Mosley both hurt Fraud. To think Manny couldn't catch him and hit him is fantasyland ("He can run but he can't hide" - Joe Louis).

BOTTOM LINE: Manny fights, Fraud doesn't.

Why all the hostility? Whenever Floyd's name is mentioned you Manny fans go off the deep end. Why is that? No Floyd is not God. At times he is an insufferable a**hole and I detest his behavior outside the ring. But inside the ring he is a master boxer as opposed to the fighter /brawler which is Manny's style. I can appreciate both. No. Floyd absolutely doesn't get to specify which test Manny takes. Only the test Manny needs to take in order to make a fight with him happen.

This test has never caught a fighter using illegal performance enhancing substances. It is common knowledge that Shane Mosley admitted to a grand jury that he used steroids for quite a long period of time. Yet, these substances were never detected in his system by the testing methods you mention above.

It is not clear what Manny has agreed to do. No one has been able to produce a clear clip of Manny saying I want the fight with Mayweather and I'm willing to take random Olympic style testing up until the day of the fight. Just last week Floyd repeated in the media that if Manny takes the test they have a fight.

Disagree. Because of Floyd's ignorant behavior outside the ring he has no reason to make excuses not to fight.

This is a fabricated fact that you need to check. You are right. Floyd didn't take this fight because he took another for which he made far more than 8 million.

Oh come on. True boxing fans know styles make fights. I have a feeling that those who had to pay to see this match thought Floyd's destruction of Ricky Hatton was masterful. Except of course the Brits. And the padded ring post had nothing to do with Hatton's defeat. If anything it helped him.

Fraud ducked Cotto.

Floyd called Cotto out on national TV. There are clips of it on youtube.

After he had been severely beaten down by Shane Mosley who up until that time was on Roach's no fight list because according to Freddy Shane was "Too Good" to be in the ring with Manny. (See previous video) However, after Floyd beat Shane easily, admittedly after Shane rocked him, now it's okay for Manny to fight Shane.

This is true to a point. However, 10-12 pounds over the limit? Could you please post a link to those figures? Who is Manny preparing to get in the ring against? None other than JMM and at what age? and at what weight?

True. They were good fights. But questions remain and this is why fans have been clamoring for a third go-round for years.

True boxing fans know this is a sport of hurt. You remain in the business long enough there is a very good chance you are going to get hurt. It's the nature of the game. But the game isn't called The Sweet Science for nothing. The object is to hit without getting hit. Joe Louis got hurt too. Manny has been knocked out twice.

Bottom line:I am a fan of boxing therefore I look at facts and don't glorify individual boxers. In professional sports it should be mandatory for athletes to prove they are free of performance enhancing substances. Baseball players do it and they are hitting a baseball not someone's head.

There are lots of people who believe Manny is clean. But from what I've been reading, the numbers who believe otherwise now surpass those who doubt. There have been 3 go-rounds of negotiation to get the fight made but only the first and second are of any importance because the latest talks never got to the paper stage. The first go-round was when Floyd agreed to every one of Manny's demands including ring size, brand of gloves, pay split and even a ridiculous demand from Manny of 10 million dollars from Floyd for every pound should he show up on fight night over the weight limit. Floyd agreed to all of Manny's requests. This was a major surprise to most who know boxing because at that point and still today, (until the numbers are in for the Manny Mosley embarrassment), Floyd holds the record for the highest grossing fight in the history on his weight class, if not the sport. There would have been no reason for Floyd not to ask for a higher percentage of the winnings. In fact, it was expected that this would be a major concern in getting the fight made. However, Floyd asked for only 1 thing in exchange for all of his concessions, Olympic style random blood testing. The fight fell apart after Manny first said he didn't like needles. Someone brought up the fact that he has several tattoos and the next story that surfaces was drawing blood makes him weak. Manny decided to sue instead of take the test and prove to his fans that he's clean. Big Red Flag in my opinion.

The second go-round came after Floyd signed to fight Mosley. He said that if he beat Mosley, whom Freddy Roach said Floyd was afraid to fight, that the fight with Manny would require random OST up to fight night or there would be no fight. During negotiations Many came down to a 24 day cut off and Floyd countered with 14 days. The fight fell apart for the second time. After that Floyd went on to beat Mosley and restate that in order for the fight to happen the testing would need to be in effect up to fight night. That's where we stand to day. There have been reports that Manny has agreed to random OST up to fight night but even that is in dispute at this point because no one can produce a clip of Manny saying exactly that. Less than 2 weeks ago Floyd again stated publicly that all Manny has to do is take the test.

Since the last talks Floyd has gotten himself into all kinds of trouble with the law and his boxing career has been on hold, some say in jeopardy for the last year and a half. He seems to be self destructing outside of the ring. He behaves as though he has mental problems which is truly a shame because, technically, he's the best boxer of his generation.

http://www.youtube.c...ch?v=BhwXCyGEJq

Edited by bhatmasterson

This thread really has grown and taken on a life of its own since the original post inquiring what cable channels it will be on, so if no one minds I'll move it over to the sports forum where it should get more attention and continue its life with a wider audience.

Don't worry, I'm fully aware of the controversy over Mayweather's insistence that Pacman take additional tests which no boxer in history has ever had to take before a fight. I've also read just about every article in print about the fight on Saturday.

If you're convinced that Mayweather is still a man and not a coward, then so be it. There's nothing I can say on here to change your mind.

I suppose you take exception that Pacquiao was named the fighter of the last decade and he's the current pound for pound. Does this mean you're the man with the facts and everyone else is dreaming?

"Mayweather's insistence that Pacman take additional tests which no boxer in history has ever had to take before a fight."

This in correct. Shane Mosley took the test before his fight with Floyd.

I take no exception whatsoever to the fact that Manny was named fighter of the last decade. I just don't happen to agree. It's perfectly fine if you do. I don't take exception to that either.

And no. I don't think everyone else is dreaming. They are simply ignorant to the facts or ignoring the facts. Manny is an exciting fighter to watch. Weather he is fighter of the decade or not will be open to debate from now until eternity. And no person should be subject to any hostility whatsoever for voicing their opinion one way or the other. That's the way I see it.

Edited by bhatmasterson

Manny is class act. Congressman, humanitarian who has single handedly lifted boxing from the alphabet soup abyss that had stagnated the sport. The only boxer that sold out Dallas Cowboys new state of the art facility twice. Manny could very well become the first boxer billionare.How many times has Manny fought in the last 3 years? About triple that of Mayweather. FM's next battle will be in a courtroom. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion here as long as they are within forum rules,(myself included.) Moving on. The next big fight I see on the horizon is the Klitchco heavyweight fight. I don;t see it going the distance and there could be an early KO.B)

Edited by dananderson

And no. I don't think everyone else is dreaming. They are simply ignorant to the facts or ignoring the facts.

OK, so we have 2 camps - the ignorant and yours.

I don't wish to go into a lengthy debate about Mayweather vs Pacquiao because it has been done to death on hundreds of boxing forums the world over.

I believe that a fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao, if ever made, will be another snoozefest with one guy trying to fight and the other running away.

Be careful what you wish for. The most hyped fight of the decade will most likely also be the most disappointing.

IMO it's bordering on unethical for a fighter to fight the way Clottey and Mosley fought and the way Mayweather will (if he ever finds the courage) - when fans are paying so much to see these fights.

Has there ever been a fighter so intent on giving fans an exciting fight? Pacquiao truly cares about delivering an exciting fight - unfortunately if the other guy has good defensive skills and doesn't wish to engage, there's only so much he can do. We've seen him take punches to egg on his opponents. He truly is in a class of his own.

Edited by tropo