Honda 2011 Cbr 150 Vs 2011 Cbr 250

Considering buying a CBR but not sure which one to go for.

I would be mainly using the bike in and around bangkok, possibly the odd trip to Pattaya but 90% just day to day shop runs etc through traffic.

I think the 150 is 80k, the 250 130k.

So is there that big of a difference between the two? Would buying the 150 and a few mods bring the gap closer?

Is the 250 really worth the extra 50k?

Just looking for other opinions and views on this

Cheers

The standard 250 is 100k (or 120k with ABS) so only around 20k difference really, many places are charging a premium but there are many that aren't as long as you are prepared to spend time looking. Apart from the extra 100cc there are a few other differences which are mentioned somewhere in the long-running CBR250R thread.

The standard 250 is 100k (or 120k with ABS) so only around 20k difference really, many places are charging a premium but there are many that aren't as long as you are prepared to spend time looking. Apart from the extra 100cc there are a few other differences which are mentioned somewhere in the long-running CBR250R thread.

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the reply.

From a few sources I have been quoted (On the road prices)

150 - 80k

250 - 120k

250 ABS - 130k

I will obviously call around to check on prices but i'm more after peoples opinions on why either the 150 or 250 is better

There are 100+ pages on the threads on both the 150 and 250 i have looked through, Was hoping to start this thread to list both the pros and cons of each model to compare the two heads up.

Cheers

if you are buying the bike as a long term bike and are over ...say ... 85kg then go for the 250 it really is worth the extra money. especially when you do go longer distances around town it pretty much the same size as the 150 but with extra ooomph. also it will probably be easier to sell later.

Just what i think... if offcourse you decide on the 150 then there is one on the classifieds for 73,000. as new

if you are buying the bike as a long term bike and are over ...say ... 85kg then go for the 250 it really is worth the extra money. especially when you do go longer distances around town it pretty much the same size as the 150 but with extra ooomph. also it will probably be easier to sell later.

Just what i think... if offcourse you decide on the 150 then there is one on the classifieds for 73,000. as new

Im 68 kg wet :)

I was asking myself the exact same question for a while... hesitating between the 150 and the 250, I ended buying a 150 3 days ago.

And I can say I love the bike !

I am still beaking it in, but it is a joy to ride, I dont have too many comparison points, I have driven a Fino for the last 2 years and this CBR is totally different (quite obviously...) and a lot more enjoyable, it also feels far more secure with its big tyres and good breaks.

I thought it would be better to use the 250 for me as I am 1.92m high (not sure in feet) and about 95Kgs, but the 150 is about the same size as the 250 and when I sat on it, it felt ok and using it certainly feels OK. I wouldnt have bought the previous generation CBR but this one fits me.

In the end, the choice is yours, there are pros and cons for both, but the reasons for my choice are mostly :

- I never had a motorbike like this before, so I am still learning, but for the thai road and their dangers, the 150 seems perfect, I don't need anything faster.

- the 150 will probably suck less fuel (depending on how I ride it)

- I prefered the color scheme of the 150 (I bought the red one), I dont like the silver parts of the 250 and the grey rims, I would have modified them for sure

- the 150 is a very well known bike in Thailand, the engine has proved very robust, it will take time for honda shop to know the 250 as well, and I have some hesitations buying a first generation product, the engine of the 250 is completely new, which can be seen as a good thing (latest technology) but also as a disadvantage (no previous history in reliability, even if Honda isnt a newbie)

- last but not least, the 25000 or so baht that were saved will find good use with the birth of my first child in 3 months... but with some of the price difference, I bought some security gears so that she can have more chances of having a father...

Again, the choice is yours, I dont believe in "more is better" but in finding what suits YOUR needs...

BUT, as a conclusion, wether you choose the 150 or the 250, you can't go wrong, they are both enjoyable rides that will give you a big smile everytime for sure.

Have a good one, enjoy, and ride safely. Keep us posted.

Cheers

I was asking myself the exact same question for a while... hesitating between the 150 and the 250, I ended buying a 150 3 days ago.

I am still beaking it in, but it is a joy to ride, I dont have too many comparison points, I have driven a Fino for the last 2 years and this CBR is totally different (quite obviously...) and a lot more enjoyable, it also feels far more secure with its big tyres and good breaks.

I thought it would be better to use the 250 for me as I am 1.92m high (not sure in feet) and about 95Kgs, but the 150 is about the same size as the 250 and when I sat on it, it felt ok and using it certainly feels OK. I wouldnt have bought the previous generation CBR but this one fits me.

In the end, the choice is yours, there are pros and cons for both, but the reasons for my choice are mostly :

- I never had a motorbike like this before, so I am still learning, but for the thai road and their dangers, the 150 seems perfect, I don't need anything faster.

- I prefered the color scheme of the 150 (I bought the red one), I dont like the silver parts of the 250 and the grey rims, I would have modified them for sure

- the 150 is a very well known bike in Thailand, the engine has proved very robust, it will take time for honda shop to know the 250 as well, and I have some hesitations buying a first generation product, the engine of the 250 is completely new, which can be seen as a good thing (latest technology) but also as a disadvantage (no previous history in reliability, even if Honda isnt a newbie)

- last but not least, the 25000 or so baht that were saved will find good use with the birth of my first child in 3 months... but with some of the price difference, I bought some security gears so that she can have more chances of having a father...

Again, the choice is yours, I dont believe in "more is better" but in finding what suits YOUR needs...

BUT, as a conclusion, wether you choose the 150 or the 250, you can't go wrong, they are both enjoyable rides that will give you a big smile everytime for sure.

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

You have mentioned a point I had never thought of regarding the new 250 to the Honda shops, I have heard elsewhere or repairs taking ages as they dont yet have all the correct tools.

The money saved I could put towards some bits like a can or efi mod if there is one if I needed extra power.

Where I live I doubt i'd ever use the full potential of the 150, let alone the 250. Just too much traffic.

Is there anyone out that that has ridden both that could give me an insight?

Also I have been looking online for 150 and 250 top speed, 0-100 kmh times, weight etc. Cant find the info, does anyone know?

Cheers

There are many information on the 250 as it is released globally, whereas the 150 is thailand only (we are lucky as the 125 is a lot less powerful).

What I would say from reading various reports is that the stock CBR250 top speed is somewhere in the 150s kmph and the CBR150 is in the 130s (but you are light so you should be able to reach up to 140kmph), it is stock again, the bike are too new to have many tested mods out yet. But even 130 is far too much on most thai road I would say.

As for the 0-100, impossible to find info about the 150 and I am not experienced enough to give an answer about that (and I am still breaking in my bike), but many tests are out there for the 250, and it is around 8 seconds, similar to the 250 Ninja.

The CBR150 doesnt feel like a snail though, and again you are really light, you should enjoy it even more than me.

Last argument that was not important for me, the 150 is lighter and more easy to manoeuvre in traffic, as you said you will be using it in Bangkok...

I have seen today an almost new red CBR150 on the thaivisa classified for 60 000 in the Pattaya area, 3 days earlier, I would probably have bought it and saved even more...

There are many information on the 250 as it is released globally, whereas the 150 is thailand only (we are lucky as the 125 is a lot less powerful).

What I would say from reading various reports is that the stock CBR250 top speed is somewhere in the 150s kmph and the CBR150 is in the 130s (but you are light so you should be able to reach up to 140kmph), it is stock again, the bike are too new to have many tested mods out yet. But even 130 is far too much on most thai road I would say.

As for the 0-100, impossible to find info about the 150 and I am not experienced enough to give an answer about that (and I am still breaking in my bike), but many tests are out there for the 250, and it is around 8 seconds, similar to the 250 Ninja.

The CBR150 doesnt feel like a snail though, and again you are really light, you should enjoy it even more than me.

Last argument that was not important for me, the 150 is lighter and more easy to manoeuvre in traffic, as you said you will be using it in Bangkok...

I have seen today an almost new red CBR150 on the thaivisa classified for 60 000 in the Pattaya area, 3 days earlier, I would probably have bought it and saved even more...

So a difference of 20 kmh top speed, I cant see 0-100 being noticeably that different. (after a few mods who knows...)

In bkk traffic the lighter bike will be the easiest too.

It will only be once a month or so i get to open the bike up on a long trip so would the 150 would be suitable for a trip bkk-pattaya or bkk to hua hin etc?

Thanks for your reply fab99, given me a few points to think about I hadn't considered.

If I was in the OP position I would buy the 150 for the following reasons.

1. It's cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

2. You don't have to go to NST (or wherever) to find a dealer who is only fleecing you by 10% over rrp.

3. It looks better, not sure if it's the black rims, the colour schemes (the tri-color looks fantastic), the exhaust (the 250 exhaust reminds me of a massive joint, err I mean traffic cone) or the big-bike frame, but it just looks better to me.

4. The dealers will be more experienced with the bike, it's a new model same as the 250 is - but it's based on a tried and tested bike that's been in Thailand for years - I'm guessing Honda didn't change anything they didn't have to except making it greener via EFI. The guys selling the 250 probably haven't even split the engine yet.

5. For the use you stated it is more than adequate. I've ridden Phuket-Ranong and back on a Nouvo in a day so I'm sure that BKK-Pattaya or BKK-Hua Hin will be fine on the 150.

6. It will be lighter and easier around town, which as you state is the majority of your riding.

Both bikes will be good for you, enjoy it either way - but the 150 might be the better option IMO.

If I was in the OP position I would buy the 150 for the following reasons.

1. It's cheaper to buy and cheaper to run.

2. You don't have to go to NST (or wherever) to find a dealer who is only fleecing you by 10% over rrp.

3. It looks better, not sure if it's the black rims, the colour schemes (the tri-color looks fantastic), the exhaust (the 250 exhaust reminds me of a massive joint, err I mean traffic cone) or the big-bike frame, but it just looks better to me.

4. The dealers will be more experienced with the bike, it's a new model same as the 250 is - but it's based on a tried and tested bike that's been in Thailand for years - I'm guessing Honda didn't change anything they didn't have to except making it greener via EFI. The guys selling the 250 probably haven't even split the engine yet.

5. For the use you stated it is more than adequate. I've ridden Phuket-Ranong and back on a Nouvo in a day so I'm sure that BKK-Pattaya or BKK-Hua Hin will be fine on the 150.

6. It will be lighter and easier around town, which as you state is the majority of your riding.

Both bikes will be good for you, enjoy it either way - but the 150 might be the better option IMO.

I think with all that I have been reading (and thanks guys for taking the time) im swinging for the 150.

I haven't heard a point yet that is pushing for the 250.

I defiantly agree on the look of the pipe on the 150 is better, I'd go for the red/white/blue colours. I wasn't aware that is exclusive to the 150.

Unless someone else can throw a spanner in the works? whistling.gif

If you want to have the opinion of CBR250 owners, you should take a look at cbr250.org, pretty active forum (which makes me wish the CBR150 would be globally released too...my thai is not good enough to read the very active thai 150 forums), plus you have nice topics, like photoshopped versions of the bike for various DIY color schemes.

In the CBR150 owner post one thaivisa, there is one guy (Just1Voice, page 103 for example) who bought the 150 and loved it and explained the reasons for his choice over the 250 (similar to the one I gave), BUT he was thinking about buying the 250 for longer trips, I don't know what he did, you could PM him, he probably has ridden both bikes.

Keep us posted and tell us what you think about your new toy, whatever you choose...

Enjoy and ride safe

I have the new 250cc and love it... There are many reasons to pick either of the two bikes... If you like speed the 250cc is the way to go... If you ride with a person on the back- the 250 is the way to go... If you live in an area with hills or twisties- the 250 is the way to go... Now if you need to save 30b a week for the petrol or live in bangkok and never drag a ladyboy on the back- get the 150cc...

Find out what you need it for and what you can afford... They are very much the same bike- few bits and bolts are different... 250 has a little bit more power which is very very useful for many reasons... Good luck and remember that my cbr will be for sale come september 3rd if you can wait...

250 will be safer.... More torque to get out of anywhere you need to in a hurry. And better brakes should you need to do the opposite as well.

Size, really too similar to base as a decision. Not sure of the weight of the 150, but the 250 feels very light and nimble around traffic. I certainly wouldn't base its extra few kilos as a decision not to buy it for city commuting. The extra torque will make city commuting easier and less of a strain on both bike and rider. That is a big plus.

For when the roads do open up a bit and you want 100kph cruising, it'll be a lot more comfortable on the 250 at 6000rpm, before the power range even kicks in, than on the 150 at 8500rpm?? (Any 150 riders here?)

Saying that the difference of 20kph top speed isn't important isn't really the whole picture, easy cruising speed also comes into it. Even if you never go above 100kph, that's going to be a lot easier, more comfortable, safer and more fun on the 250. Wouldn't fancy needing to get out of a 100kph situation quickly on the 150.

If you're really planning a city commuter, the 250's torque will be a lot more friendly and easier for you. :)

Edited by hehehoho

It's a brand new design, it has great handling (need to replace the rather slippery stock tires though), it looks much better.

The 15k extra for ABS is well worth it too if you can find one at a dealer for the recommended sales price. 15k might seem like a lot, but if it prevents you from slipping your front tire even once, it prevents a crash, and saves you much more in hospital bills and so on. I am loving the ABS on my bike and I'd never buy one without. It's saved me a few times already, most notably that one time as I was going too fast in a corner on the Pai - CM road, I wasn't going to make it, I was en route to crashing into the mountain... the road was wet, with dirt and leaves on it; I hit the brakes as hard as I could, and the bike, almost magically, stopped safely. I had no idea it's possible to have that much grip on the wet, dirty road.

As for the dealer prices to come down - it's only a matter of time, Honda factories are cranking these out, and at some point they'll catch up with demand and the prices will drop.

I know some people have been riding 150s for years and years but I think it's likely you'll get bored with it, then trade it in for a 250 soon. If you can afford it, get the 250.

115k for this bike is a killer price.

Edited by nikster

It's a brand new design, it has great handling (need to replace the rather slippery stock tires though), it looks much better.

The 15k extra for ABS is well worth it too if you can find one at a dealer for the recommended sales price. 15k might seem like a lot, but if it prevents you from slipping your front tire even once, it prevents a crash, and saves you much more in hospital bills and so on. I am loving the ABS on my bike and I'd never buy one without. It's saved me a few times already, most notably that one time as I was going too fast in a corner on the Pai - CM road, I wasn't going to make it, I was en route to crashing into the mountain... the road was wet, with dirt and leaves on it; I hit the brakes as hard as I could, and the bike, almost magically, stopped safely. I had no idea it's possible to have that much grip on the wet, dirty road.

As for the dealer prices to come down - it's only a matter of time, Honda factories are cranking these out, and at some point they'll catch up with demand and the prices will drop.

I know some people have been riding 150s for years and years but I think it's likely you'll get bored with it, then trade it in for a 250 soon. If you can afford it, get the 250.

115k for this bike is a killer price.

It's interesting that you prefer the looks of the 250. Do you prefer the silver rims and the exhaust? Or the paint schemes? Or the tubular frame? I know looks are subjective but I just can't see it on this one. Which aspect of the 250 do you prefer?

As for ABS, I'd agree that it's a useful emergency option, but if you come to rely on it (i.e. it's saving you a few times per year) then it's probably time to back it down a bit because sooner or later those extra milliseconds that it gives you won't be enough. I know that if the ABS on my car was regularly kicking in (none of my bikes have it) then I'd start wondering why I was locking up the wheel so often and adjust my driving/riding technique.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a few of the black 150s about lately and they look seriously hot. The nicest of all the new 150/250s.

The 250 would be the better choice IMO for reasons already given.

A guy on the 250 thread gave details of a dealer selling two black standard models at 99k thb.

For only 20k more than the 150 it's no contest IMO.

Black fairing parts are 3000b, the rims are 1000b to paint (black), and I painted the muffler guard black myself for probably 250b. Add some rim tape and that will be some seriously good looking bike compared to the stock silver jigsaw look.

Don't forget the "special" mod for the wheels involving correction fluid ;-)

It seems everyone who comes up to me while I fill up at some remote gas station to talk to me about my black CBR150 (happens almost everytime when I go up to the boonies for work) shares the same sentiment, black looks badass. While it wasn't my initial color choice (wanted red but lost to a rock-paper-scissors to a friend was buying the bike the same time I did), I'm glad I got black.

I do agree you are growing to outgrow the 150 soon and will want to upgrade to a 250, so if cost is not an issue (price of the bike,km/L,etc.) get the 250 outright.

It's interesting that you prefer the looks of the 250. Do you prefer the silver rims and the exhaust? Or the paint schemes? Or the tubular frame? I know looks are subjective but I just can't see it on this one. Which aspect of the 250 do you prefer?

Uhhh.... apologies, I was talking out of my behind there. I didn't realize Honda has redesigned the 2011 CBR150... duh!!! my mental image was that of the old CBR 150. I'd considered that bike once but concluded it's toy size, just too small for me.

The new CBR150 looks way better and actually pretty similar to the 250 - I imagine it's the same frame size as the 250 as well? In that case, I have no complaints about the looks. Lookin' good

150:

0_2011-honda-cbr150ri.jpg

250:

2011-honda-cbr250r-1_800x0w.jpg

I'd still get the 250 just because I took it up Doi Suthep and had a blast on it :D

I haven not ridden the 150, admittedly.

As for ABS: Yes I am a terrible rider :) It's true that you un-learn how to brake on a non-ABS bike which can be dangerous. You get spoiled in that you can just at any time hit the brakes really hard, and stop at a speed similar to an experienced racer. That said I do try to not engage the ABS when I brake, and it doesn't happen all that often. In the wilds only that one time; in the city maybe 3 times, every time when I wasn't really paying enough attention and going too close behind a car that was braking suddenly. Trying to avoid that now (both not paying attention and going too close behind cars)...

Anyone got a dyno graph for the new 150??

Would be interested to see the torque, HP, and where they are in the RPM range compared to the 250.

Surely must be one on the Thai 150 sites.

Edited by hehehoho

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the reply.

150 - 80k

250 - 120k wrong price!

250 ABS - 130k

JUDAS wrote in a separate thread buying his for 99 k. And in a small town like Nan I was quoted 110 k / 130 k

I will obviously call around to check on prices but i'm more after peoples opinions on why either the 150 or 250 is better

There are 100+ pages on the threads on both the 150 and 250 i have looked through, Was hoping to start this thread to list both the pros and cons of each model to compare the two heads up.

Cheers

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the reply.

150 - 80k

250 - 120k wrong price!

250 ABS - 130k

JUDAS wrote in a separate thread buying his for 99 k. And in a small town like Nan I was quoted 110 k / 130 k

Cheers

Same in CM. Three different dealers quoted me 129k for the with ABS. Think non ABS was 115k.

Difference between the two really depends on what you want the bike to do. Purely city driving, 150 will probably do. Want to go on longer drives, 250 will be a better option. Carrying a passenger often, I can think the extra power will be a bigger advantage. ABS is always an advantage regardless of how good of a driver you are or not. Even if you can brake in the dry, ABS makes a hell of a lot of difference emergency braking in the wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

You have mentioned a point I had never thought of regarding the new 250 to the Honda shops, I have heard elsewhere or repairs taking ages as they dont yet have all the correct tools.

The money saved I could put towards some bits like a can or efi mod if there is one if I needed extra power.

Where I live I doubt i'd ever use the full potential of the 150, let alone the 250. Just too much traffic.

Is there anyone out that that has ridden both that could give me an insight?

Also I have been looking online for 150 and 250 top speed, 0-100 kmh times, weight etc. Cant find the info, does anyone know?

Cheers

the new cbr 150 fi top speed

I was at the lights with a red 150fi last night and he had the most awful, loudest pipe I've ever heard. At the lights he went for it and I compared it to how the 250 takes off when you pull back. I was absolutely shocked at how slow it was compared to the 250. All the lovely torque on the 250 simply shoots you away, the 150 was like a slug. I read on here that one of the guys at the open day last October did a lap on the 150, then one on the 250 and described the 250 as a 'slingshot' compared to the 150. Last night's viewing certainly did seem like it. I can definitely imagine people getting bored with the 150 a lot quicker than with the 250.