Poll Shows Strong Pheu Thai Support In Northeast

webfact

Poll shows strong Pheu Thai support in Northeast

By The Nation

The opposition Pheu Thai Party emerged victorious in a poll on voters in the Northeast conducted by Khon Kaen University with 63.9 per cent of respondents saying they backed the party, while 20.7 per cent said they would choose the ruling Democrat Party.

The university's Centre for Business and Economic Research surveyed 2,354 people across 20 provinces in the Northeast, including Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Kalasin, Nong Khai, Chaiyaphum, Loei and Buri Ram.

Prasert Vijitnopharat, who led the study, which was conducted from April 28 to May 3, said 58.9 per cent of the respondents said they had already decided on who would win their vote, while 33.3 per cent remained undecided. Only 7.7 per cent of the respondents said they would not be casting their ballot.

Bhum Jai Thai emerged as the third party with support from 9.1 per cent of the respondents.

Interesting points came up when results were broken down to the provincial level. In Khon Kaen, for example, 65.1 per cent said they would vote for Pheu Thai and 28.2 per cent said they would go for Democrat Party, while support for Pheu Thai dwindled to 41.3 per cent in Nakhon Ratchasima province compared to 28.4 per cent for the Democrats.

Also, in Buri Ram province - Bhum Jai Thai's stronghold - Pheu Thai emerged second with 36.4 per cent support as opposed to 41.3 per cent for Bhum Jai Thai, while the Democrats fell to a mere 19.2 per cent.

In Udon Thani, Pheu Thai proved most popular with 84.6 per cent support and 14.7 per cent for the Democrats. Ubon Ratchathani reported 71.2 per cent support for Pheu Thai and 25.6 for the Democrat Party.

Pheu Thai clearly remains a force to be reckoned with, though 33.3 per cent of the respondents still haven't made up their minds, Prasert said, adding that electoral platforms would still be significant, especially in relation to economic issues.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-06

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone surprised?

you daren't vote anything else but red in a red village

if you think i am wrong and you think reds are democratic then hang a democrat support poster in your window and see what happens to you

the reds have already sent a strong message about the cost of being a democrat in a red town, when they murdered the father of a DJ on a yellow radio station based in red territory

of the five men who did it, four were convicted and jailed, the fifth man skipped bail (like his cowardly leader Thaksin) and was spotted working as a security guard on the red revolution stage in Bangkok

he was seen interacting with the red MP's, Thaksins lawyer and the other red leaders

all associating with a murderer who ran from justice to be with his murderous brethren

was he arrested ? no, of course not

had the police tried they would have been murdered too

so much for the red version of democratic justice at work..........

anyone surprised?

if you think i am wrong and you think reds are democratic then hang a democrat support poster in your window and see what happens to you

the reds have already sent a strong message about the cost of being a democrat in a red town, when they murdered the father of a DJ on a yellow radio station based in red territory

of the five men who did it, four were convicted and jailed, the fifth man skipped bail (like his cowardly leader Thaksin) and was spotted working as a security guard on the red revolution stage in Bangkok

he was seen interacting with the red MP's, Thaksins lawyer and the other red leaders

all associating with a murderer who ran from justice to be with his murderous brethren

Is what you describe any different to the massive injustices that well connected people seem to get away with with monotonous regularity.

I hate how these polls are reported.

63.9 % backed PTP. 20.7% backed the Dems. (Total 84.6% ... so 15.4% backed other parties or didn't back anyone.)

58.9% have decided who they will vote for. 33.3% are undecided. 7.7% will not vote.

So are the percentages for parties just from the people who have decided, OR do some people back a particular party but don't know who they will vote for?

Besides all that, is anyone really surprised that PTP have large support in the North East?

anyone surprised?

Is what you describe any different to the massive injustices that well connected people seem to get away with with monotonous regularity.

perhaps part of the problem is the Thais willingness to accept money instead of justice

or is it simply the fact that they have such a deep mistrust of the justice system that they are willing to accept an apology wrapped in 1000 baht notes rather than nothing at all or even risk being hurt themselves to be kept quiet?

what is the going rate to get away with murder?

anyone surprised?

perhaps part of the problem is the Thais willingness to accept money instead of justice

or is it simply the fact that they have such a deep mistrust of the justice system that they are willing to accept an apology wrapped in 1000 baht notes rather than nothing at all or even risk being hurt themselves to be kept quiet?

The reds are SO democratic ghat they have been systematically defacing posters featuing Abhisit here in Chiang Mai.

Instead of decrying the poll in the North-East shows strong support for the PTP let's have a poll in the South which probably will show an equally strong support for the Democrats.

After those two predictable polls we can start discussing the weather again :whistling:

I hate how these polls are reported.

63.9 % backed PTP. 20.7% backed the Dems. (Total 84.6% ... so 15.4% backed other parties or didn't back anyone.)

58.9% have decided who they will vote for. 33.3% are undecided. 7.7% will not vote.

So are the percentages for parties just from the people who have decided, OR do some people back a particular party but don't know who they will vote for?

Besides all that, is anyone really surprised that PTP have large support in the North East?

As long as the total number of people interviewed is not disclosed, we really don't know how significant these polls are. Ad then there is always a quite large margin of error.

Mostly such polls serve a specific purpose, but do not reflect a true image of the situation.

This is useful data for predicting the Party List results but is meaningless in determining constituencies. For instance in Nakorn Ratchasima there might be urban voters who marginally help Democrats to a win in that constituency, while 90% of the rural vote for the PT guy (and a reverse scenario in Bangkok). In any case, with last minute vote buying and village headmen auctioning off their village vote, who really knows.

I find it interesting that BJT didn't fare too well, I have a feeling they are going to get punished in all but Buriram.

anyone surprised?

The reds are SO democratic ghat they have been systematically defacing posters featuing Abhisit here in Chiang Mai.

it would not surprise me to hear of them defacing the people who are putting up the posters as well................

anyone surprised?

There's more to this. Many rural folk, in red territory, wouldn't dare to speak out because they fear hate campaigns, severe hate campaigns, violence, water and electricity cut off to their home, children not allowed on the song tow to go to school, children abused at school by other kids, vendors at the various markets refuse to sell food to the family, etc etc.

As already said, nice examples of democracy. And proof that the paymaster, his thugs, the reds, udd, and in fact all of the pt politicians have (deliberately) done absolutely nothing to educate people so that they understand what democracy really means, the benefits of democracy, the responsibilities that come with democracy, the pillars of democracy, protecting the pillars of what builds and supports true democracy.

Edited by scorecard

And you have witnessed Reds doing this? Usually, kids and students are the ones drawing on the signs. Who doesn't know of a kid anywhere that hasn't tossed a rock at someone's mug on an election sign, or drawn devils horns.

Instead of decrying the poll in the North-East shows strong support for the PTP let's have a poll in the South which probably will show an equally strong support for the Democrats.

After those two predictable polls we can start discussing the weather again :whistling:

the polls show an strong PTP in Isaan , but the PTP also has a very strong support in all the North, the central region , and even in bangkok, and if you wanna check it out , just make a trip to ลำลูกกาม and you will see it by urself :unsure:

And you have witnessed Reds doing this? Usually, kids and students are the ones drawing on the signs. Who doesn't know of a kid anywhere that hasn't tossed a rock at someone's mug on an election sign, or drawn devils horns.

i don't know any kids who behave like that and if mine did i would kick their arse to hell and back........

the polls show an strong PTP in Isaan , but the PTP also has a very strong support in all the North, the central region , and even in bangkok, and if you wanna check it out , just make a trip to ลำลูกกาม and you will see it by urself :unsure:

and the sources of your pro red speculation?

any other polls to support this conjecture?

I see the same old idiots every time decrying everything good to do with red shirts, even after they win the upcoming election these same people will still be denying it, and then rejoicing when the army stage yet another coup as they don't want the reds running the country, democracy my arse.

I see the same old idiots every time decrying everything good to do with red shirts, even after they win the upcoming election these same people will still be denying it, and then rejoicing when the army stage yet another coup as they don't want the reds running the country, democracy my arse.

ok Random, i qualify

please tell me what everything good to do with the red shirts actually is?

frankly i just don't see it

you never know you may get a convert

it shouldn't take long, it will be a short list i expect............LOL

Edited by timekeeper

The polls are generally showing that it will be a reasonably close race between PTP and Dems with PTP probably getting the most MPs, but not a majority.

That leaves the smaller parties to decide who will form government, with the likely hood, IMO, that the coalitions will stay the same, putting the Dems back in government.

If the PTP get enough support and are able to form government, once again IMO, the military won't step in until the PTP start trying to change laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

If you think democracy is about ignoring crimes that have been committed, up to you.

ok Random, i qualify

As i already told you in another thread :

Democracy is the result of majority opinion, for now i just think you will be the first one to back the army if the red wins the elections.

As i already said, Thaksin is for sure a piece of cr#p...but this guy did what any opposition party in such situation would do : go and see the people nobody cares before.

For sure if the governments before tried to educate the reds and northern people instead of leaving them in ignorance and treat them like "buffalos" or "e-dam" the democrats could win more voices during polls.

So Thaksin just used what he could to win elections....and was in fact elected two times, sure he certainly bought a lot of votes and used populism, but the democrats woke up too late to realize what happend and choose a very democratic way to oust thaksin and his successors.

The upper class and so called democrats created Thaksin in a way and now clearly does not know how to end with him...

You say reds are not democratics and corrupted, you re right...as well as democrats no? the NPP wants a royal nomination "for a while"...what a joke

So people who cry about the upcoming elections because the reds may come back i will tell you : somnamna!.... you had to think before on how to educate to politics northern people and poor people instead of leaving them.

By the way about the tragic death of the yellow radio DJ, could you please also talk about the tragic death of unarmed people in the wat killed by army? just to be sure that you did not forget that neither....

Don t spit on red vision of democracy if you're not ready to embrace democracy roo

The polls are generally showing that it will be a reasonably close race between PTP and Dems with PTP probably getting the most MPs, but not a majority.

That leaves the smaller parties to decide who will form government, with the likely hood, IMO, that the coalitions will stay the same, putting the Dems back in government.

If the PTP get enough support and are able to form government, once again IMO, the military won't step in until the PTP start trying to change laws to whitewash Thaksin's crimes.

If you think democracy is about ignoring crimes that have been committed, up to you.

Where does one begin with this?

First off , I agree with the sensible summary in the first two sentences.

Then it becomes problematic,though are we are in a subjective area.My view is that if the PTP is able to form a government the elite will be looking for a way to overthrow it.There is a track record here which has to be taken seriously,namely the willingness to take action and the contempt for democracy.Within the army there are those who would achieve this through a coup, but I'm guessing that the hotheads will be held in check by wiser counsel given the horrific damage done to the country by the last coup..There's no need to rehearse alternative strategies because there's already a body of evidence what these might be.Let's just say the judicialisation of Thai politics would continue apace.

There are many crimes that have been committed which have not been punished, most notably the criminal military coup where the ringleaders awarded themselves a post facto pardon, the killing of unarmed civilians in Bangkok last year, Tak Bai massacre etc.PTP can't change laws but if hypothetically Thaksin was awarded a legal pardon or partial pardon, it's none of the Thai army's business.It would be better employed investigating and dealing with its own crimes mentioned above.

Then it becomes problematic,though are we are in a subjective area.My view is that if the PTP is able to form a government the elite will be looking for a way to overthrow it.There is a track record here which has to be taken seriously,namely the willingness to take action and the contempt for democracy.Within the army there are those who would achieve this through a coup, but I'm guessing that the hotheads will be held in check by wiser counsel given the horrific damage done to the country by the last coup..There's no need to rehearse alternative strategies because there's already a body of evidence what these might be.Let's just say the judicialisation of Thai politics would continue apace.

There are many crimes that have been committed which have not been punished, most notably the criminal military coup where the ringleaders awarded themselves a post facto pardon, the killing of unarmed civilians in Bangkok last year, Tak Bai massacre etc.PTP can't change laws but if hypothetically Thaksin was awarded a legal pardon or partial pardon, it's none of the Thai army's business.It would be better employed investigating and dealing with its own crimes mentioned above.

I heard that Thaksin was also responsible for 9/11, for the shoha and his last exaction was in japan where he created a tsunami and destroyed a nuclear plant.

For sure this guy is bullsh... but if people opposed to thaksin wants to win next polls they should try to understand why people back thaksin. But they do not care as there is a high probability that the army oust any government which not please them and the so called "elite"...

ok Random, i qualify

As i already told you in another thread :

Democracy is the result of majority opinion, for now i just think you will be the first one to back the army if the red wins the elections.

As i already said, Thaksin is for sure a piece of cr#p...but this guy did what any opposition party in such situation would do : go and see the people nobody cares before.

For sure if the governments before tried to educate the reds and northern people instead of leaving them in ignorance and treat them like "buffalos" or "e-dam" the democrats could win more voices during polls.

So Thaksin just used what he could to win elections....and was in fact elected two times, sure he certainly bought a lot of votes and used populism, but the democrats woke up too late to realize what happend and choose a very democratic way to oust thaksin and his successors.

The upper class and so called democrats created Thaksin in a way and now clearly does not know how to end with him...

You say reds are not democratics and corrupted, you re right...as well as democrats no? the NPP wants a royal nomination "for a while"...what a joke

So people who cry about the upcoming elections because the reds may come back i will tell you : somnamna!.... you had to think before on how to educate to politics northern people and poor people instead of leaving them.

By the way about the tragic death of the yellow radio DJ, could you please also talk about the tragic death of unarmed people in the wat killed by army? just to be sure that you did not forget that neither....

Don t spit on red vision of democracy if you're not ready to embrace democracy roo

get the facts right

it was the DJ's father who died, they could not find his son so they killed him instead

Wat deaths? the red revolutionaries shouldn't have been there

no illegal rally, no deaths, all that followed was fruit of the red poisoned tree owned by Thaksin

i do wish the reds would stop whinging about it

they could have left

som nom na to them if they didn't

poor people? thats getting really old, where are these poor people of the North?

i have been and looked for them, i saw them sat in bars drinking whisky all day, spending in markets, running around in new pickups and on new motorbikes, playing on new model mobile phones and watching flat screen Tv's

there are posters on here who live there amongst the reds and have reported exactly the same things

its just red BS to solicit sympathy

Yeah, you're right. It was probably very politically active kids. Same kids that smashed all the Democrat signs here in BKK before the local Bangkok elections (where Phua Thai got slaughtered).

and the sources of your pro red speculation?

any other polls to support this conjecture?

no sources then, just you saying it...............................

Yes. Agreed. The future is subjective.

"Contempt for democracy" - that seems to come from Thaksin and the army.

I think the only thing that is predictable is what people will say:

- Jataporn will predict that there will be a coup this week (every week).

- If PTP lose, red shirt supporters will say that the election was rigged.

- If PTP get the most MPs (not a majority) and are not able to form a government, the red shirt supporters will say that the army coerced the smaller parties to back the Democrats.

- Red shirts supporters will continue to say that there will be a coup if PTP are able to form government.

- If PTP are able to form government, anti-Thaksin 'supporters' will say that a heap of money changed hands.

One thing that I predict is that there will be protests following the forming of the next government - either from the red shirts (protesting for "democracy") or the yellow shirts (protesting against changes to allow Thaksin to avoid jail).

This must have come as a shock to all the polling agencies that believe that Thailand evolves around bangkok and thus poll only 15 provinces or less. There is more good news for the pending coup taker prayuth. There is just as much support for PT in the North, in the Middle and with the urban poor. So all ingredients to warrant a coup are there. No need to play games for the army, On the other hand if PT wins you simply ask the courts to commit the coup for you.

This must have come as a shock to all the polling agencies that believe that Thailand evolves around bangkok and thus poll only 15 provinces or less. There is more good news for the pending coup taker prayuth. There is just as much support for PT in the North, in the Middle and with the urban poor. So all ingredients to warrant a coup are there. No need to play games for the army, On the other hand if PT wins you simply ask the courts to commit the coup for you.

This comes as a shock to no one.

The PTP have support in the North East. Everyone knows that.

anyone surprised?

What a sad story or tall tale you weave. You mix half facts and half truths and reach...and I do mean reach as in far,far out of the realm of logic to come to conclusions only a few could embrace in an attempt to smear the Great Evil One, Thaksin. To me this poll is music to my ears. It is a sign that there is still hope in Thailand for democracy and a true representative form of government. Let the voting commence! Ha Ha Ha. 555