Salary Expectation

Hello, I am a half-british half-cypriot expat and I have lived almost all my working life in UAE, plus some time in Qatar.

I have been visitng Thailand for many years and i have developed a close connection with the country to the extent that I have learned the language and married a Thai Lady. Now we are expecting the birht of our son. Normally my wife would be living with me here in the UAE but i have sent her to Bangkok during her pregnancy to be near to her family and to be near to better medical care.

My present company is undergoing a crisis, prompted mainly by the collapse of Libya and its associated projects in that country and also due to the economic slowdown here in UAE and the company's inability to secure any new projects. All this means that the future here is at best questionable and I may find myself redundant soon, as have many others in my company.

The idea of living and working in Thailand is not new to me, but i have always held back due to the lower salaries and the complicated visa arrangements.

Nevertheless, given the current situation, I have been able to secure a second interview with an international firm operating on the eastern sea board as well as other regions of the Kingdom.

I have not yet discussed salary levels, but it was made clear to me that I will not be on an expat package and they were originally looking for a thai national but were unable to find qulaified enough candidates.

The posting quotes 80k baht plus various benefits, that could be a car and accommodation...

What would be a good salary to start negotiating with? I believe that 100k is my minimum and I was thinking of giving them a range of 110-120k. Is that excessive? All this is of course much less than what I make here, but here we work 10-12 hours a day and six days a week plus every other friday...I am leaving my current job mainly because of the future uncertainty.

Views Comments appreciated.

Sounds like Property sales or marketing- it good if you a good sales person... I doubt the base will be 80K bt as that Exec level in most firms 80-100k + bonuses. Typically 20-50k base + okish bonuses is the way to go. If it is in fact sales- if you good it often to take less base then negoitate better commission on each deal. Plus you have commissions both ways- suppliers, buyers and in betweens. It is the Thai way. Chok Dee.

Sounds like Property sales or marketing- it good if you a good sales person... I doubt the base will be 80K bt as that Exec level in most firms 80-100k + bonuses. Typically 20-50k base + okish bonuses is the way to go. If it is in fact sales- if you good it often to take less base then negoitate better commission on each deal. Plus you have commissions both ways- suppliers, buyers and in betweens. It is the Thai way. Chok Dee.

Actually no, it is not property, marketing , real estate, it is more like construction management. I am a qualified engineer. I wouldn't want to put more details on the forum regarding the job details...I doubt there would be any commissions or similar extras...

How long is a string? .... in answer, in the management level labour market for Thai's ( in public listed companies ), the range is from about 25k to about 300k depending on what level you can work at. This would apply from supervisor to Upper range of mid level management.

Top level would be case by case starting from i.e. 150k upwards .

Very company / industry specific, so there will be alot of variation.

Get your foot in the door first, if you are still unsure of other things in TH.

Perhaps, you could get a much better deal after you are physically here in TH.

Do not let my opinion interferes with your decision though, but 80k is a little on the low end,

if you are in oil and gas biz.

But get here first to be with your family, then seek for a better pay out job, wherever or whatever reasons.

But sincerely, I hope it is not having anything to do with nuclear stuff, right?

Good luck.

they were originally looking for a thai national but were unable to find qulaified enough candidates.

So they want an expat who can do the job and only want to pay a Thai salary?

Tell them to take the unqualified Thai and give you a call in a couple of months with a decent offer when the unqualified person they hired has been fired.

My experience managing a thai company for 2 years is that the working hours will be very similar to what you have at the moment. The expenses or bonus is usually for phone call, fuel and mileage on your own vehicle.

80k is a decnt enough salry if you live as a thai but the standard of living is very different of an engineer in UAE. remember you will also be taxed as a foreigner.

I agree with previous responder that they are looking for expat quality for Thai salary. I am also an Engineer and work in Bangkok. I came here in 2005 and started out at 190k per month (no extras), since then I have worked up to present salary of around 345k (still no extras). Our senior Thai engineers get around 100k with an annual one month bonus paid.

My friends are mainly engineers and their salaries range from 210 to around 500++ for those on full expat package.

Therefore, in conclusion only take it if you want to get a 'foot in the door' and remember that if you come here to make the most of reducing your tax exposure through LTF's and also RMF's if you are close to 55.

My experience managing a thai company for 2 years is that the working hours will be very similar to what you have at the moment. The expenses or bonus is usually for phone call, fuel and mileage on your own vehicle.

80k is a decnt enough salry if you live as a thai but the standard of living is very different of an engineer in UAE. remember you will also be taxed as a foreigner.

???

Taxed as a foreigner?

Both Thai's and foreigners incur the same taxation rates....

I agree with previous responder that they are looking for expat quality for Thai salary. I am also an Engineer and work in Bangkok. I came here in 2005 and started out at 190k per month (no extras), since then I have worked up to present salary of around 345k (still no extras). Our senior Thai engineers get around 100k with an annual one month bonus paid.

My friends are mainly engineers and their salaries range from 210 to around 500++ for those on full expat package.

Therefore, in conclusion only take it if you want to get a 'foot in the door' and remember that if you come here to make the most of reducing your tax exposure through LTF's and also RMF's if you are close to 55.

Good first post!!!

If you will be in a situation where you will interface with lots of other companies that could require your experience and you can switch to them easily then the foot in the door approach is OK.

But remember, they are offering a salary so low that they can't get a qualified Thai to take the job, and this is a MNC(?) that would have to send someone internally from overseas on a full expat deal!!

Edit: are they Australian managed by any chance?

Another edit: I don't mean to come across overly offputting on this but I was in a similar position to you when I first came here and it all worked out well but that was at a time when there was a boom in construction. If you can live off what they're offering and really want to be here (Thailand) that much then go for it, even if it fails. But there's still a lot of work around at the moment for engineers in the ME and elsewhere that if the money is more important you could go to work.

Edited by PattayaParent

:jap: Pattaya parent...I am amazed how it is you have correctly deduced that they are indeed Australian...Please refrain from mentioning the company name in the forum...

:jap: Pattaya parent...I am amazed how it is you have correctly deduced that they are indeed Australian...Please refrain from mentioning the company name in the forum...

If it's the company I am thinking of I have employed them on a project I am involved with.

PM me if youwish to discuss offline.

I am in no way trying to be cheeky or disrespectful but I think the only person qualified to make a decision about job / salary etc is yourself. I have worked in the middle east for some years and understand where you are coming from regarding salary / tax etc - what you need to consider is quality of life.

I am sorry if I offend some folks but the quality of life in Asia for expats is fantastic compared to living in the middle east - - your decision my friend.

An old friend of mine used to say to me constantly, don't be on your death bed and have regrets.

good luck