Thaksin Promises End To Slums In Three Years

george

At the moment there's no way he can't be stopped if he wants to take and spend people's money, unfortunately.

At the moment there's no way he can be stopped if the majority of us Thais vote him in office again.

:o

He could close those slums overnight if he'd just move these people into some of the mega-condo-cities built in the 90's, never occupied, and continue to sit empty to this day e.g. Muang Thong Thani, Thana City, etc.

Your data is dated regarding MTT. Muang Thong Thani has actually been filling up rather quickly for about 2-3 years now. Just went out there for the Thailand Open a week ago. Stopped by to see from friends who own a few shop houses at the pak soi near the main entrance. Took a tour of the "outer rim" condos, definitely not unoccupied. My friend's are renting out for between 10 and 15k each.

Impact Arena itself, within MTT is also booming. They are increasing capacity for convention halls as JSL and Reed Tradex have them pretty much booked solid year round... all for basically renting out really big rooms.

:o

Edited by Heng

Think the "Popular Condos" at MTT, i.e. the lower rise ones, are well filled up. Rents there are extremely cheap. However, think the high rises have much lower occupancy, even those that have been completely finished. As you say, IMPACT is a huge success.

Nevertheless, I'd still say that MTT is one of the most miserable parts of Thailand. Reminds very much of an inner city council estate in a big English city. Might be better than a slum of course, although it has to be said many slums do benefit from a rather good location :o - and I've no doubt there are many slum residents who'd rather stay where they are rather than move out to the middle of nowhere. The whole thing is pretty complex.