Thai Farm Trucks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Canada, i see what you mean. I like it when someone like afarang is trying something new and succeeds. I am happy about that.

So i read you dont like to listen to others...

for me listening to afarang gives me a spark likewise an engine needs to startup. Are we still on the same page?

You read wrong. What I don't like is people telling my that what I am looking at or what I saw does not not exist, or what I know to be fact is wrong. Actually I like to learn from other people. But when they start telling me that what I am looking at or what I saw does not not exist, or what I know to be fact is wrong, I do have a habit of discounting anything else that they have to say. I also like to contribute to other people's learning.

"I like it when someone like afarang is trying something new and succeeds" - actually he hasn't tried something new. He just denies that other people see something different than him. What he has done is do something that the Thais have been doing for a very long time....not something new.

I was looking at another eden yesterday that has a high/low gearbox in addition to the regular transmission. According to him, this does not exist. Yes, there are 2 driveshafts. One from the tranny to the gearbox and then one from the gearbox to the rear end.

So, no....I think we are on completely different pages. I think you are on afarangs page. Have fun over there.

• Like 1

The small village of Nong Hin, Loei, one shop has at least a dozen chassis ready for engines. They are obviously different makes of former pickups. Some have a two piece drive shaft but most have a single drive shaft. If I were buying one I would choose the two piece drive shaft. Here in this area, I have seen none that were capable of being registered. That is the main advantage of a rot Etan. No registration fees and no problems with the local law enforcement. There is another shop that also has some in stock as well as a small shop that builds to order.

• Like 1

You read wrong. What I don't like is people telling my that what I am looking at or what I saw does not not exist, or what I know to be fact is wrong. Actually I like to learn from other people. But when they start telling me that what I am looking at or what I saw does not not exist, or what I know to be fact is wrong, I do have a habit of discounting anything else that they have to say. I also like to contribute to other people's learning.

"I like it when someone like afarang is trying something new and succeeds" - actually he hasn't tried something new. He just denies that other people see something different than him. What he has done is do something that the Thais have been doing for a very long time....not something new.

I was looking at another eden yesterday that has a high/low gearbox in addition to the regular transmission. According to him, this does not exist. Yes, there are 2 driveshafts. One from the tranny to the gearbox and then one from the gearbox to the rear end.

So, no....I think we are on completely different pages. I think you are on afarangs page. Have fun over there.

II think we are on the same .web. pagesmile.png

The small village of Nong Hin, Loei, one shop has at least a dozen chassis ready for engines. They are obviously different makes of former pickups. Some have a two piece drive shaft but most have a single drive shaft. If I were buying one I would choose the two piece drive shaft. Here in this area, I have seen none that were capable of being registered. That is the main advantage of a rot Etan. No registration fees and no problems with the local law enforcement. There is another shop that also has some in stock as well as a small shop that builds to order.

Hey Gary, I am actually not that far from you. I was in Na Klang yesterday. There is a manufacturer of these things there. None of theirs are old trucks. They are all manufactured from the ground up. All of theirs are register-able. But non are required to have registration. Some have the high/low gear box and some don't.

The major advantage that I can see to having one that has been registered is that then you must buy 3rd party liability insurance and pay tax on the vehicle. That puts a farang owner with a Thai drivers licence in a good legal position if he were ever to have an accident and hurt someone with one of these things.

i did inquire about four wheel drive with a hi/low gear box. The builder said that he could easily build one but that the four wheel drive scrapped pickups were few and far between. He said he would look for one if I was seriously interested. I'll just keep my four wheel drive Yanmar tractor.

Yes, that's probably the best solution for that. These edens can add up to a lot of money. A guy needs to be careful. HD 6 wheels with Hi/Low was 295,000 baht yesterday. You could order it "dump-able "too for another 85,000 baht. A local sugarbroker bought his used dump-able 10 wheel Hino for 700,000 baht. Much better deal than one of these Thai trucks. I guess it depends on intended use and whether it is a toy or a work truck.

Yesterday I saw a mid engine design. Of course it won't be able to haul anything much with only a small area available behind the engine but it would easily pull a trailer. It looked like they started with a common tak tak engine and two wheel standard frame and went from there. It had the tractor style tires on the rear. It was apparently newly built. I would liked to have had a look at it but it sailed by where we were eating doing at least 40 kph.

Yesterday I saw a mid engine design. Of course it won't be able to haul anything much with only a small area available behind the engine but it would easily pull a trailer. It looked like they started with a common tak tak engine and two wheel standard frame and went from there. It had the tractor style tires on the rear. It was apparently newly built. I would liked to have had a look at it but it sailed by where we were eating doing at least 40 kph.

I have seen these as well. In your area they are quite popular actually. I regularly drive from Chiang Mai to Udon. I see these mostly in your province. They have a small deck at the front and the rear, correct? Great for hauling stuff around the farm.

Sometime back I passed one on the highway that had a roof, windshield and fenders. It was rather wildly painted but looked quite sporty. The driver was a young guy who was grinning up a storm. I had to smile and wave as I passed him.

• Like 1

I'm getting an E-Tan built for me, there are 3 shops that all make a similar style in a little village about 4 kms from where I live. It'll look just like in the photo only more shine.

Cost is 44,000 baht for the truck frame and construction, welding the frame up, mounting the transmission, building the fenders, bumpers etc. I picked a Mitsu L200 frame from his collection. Wooden box is another 10,000 baht which I think is extremely cheap for the quality. Wood is all at least 1 inch thick, sanded, stained, nice fittings.

I have to supply the power, A 12hp Kubota is what I have figured on for 47,000 baht. Bringing the total to 100K.

I can take it back anytime should I want a roof type cab put on it. He also said 1 year warranty.

It'll be great for hauling all the fertilizer and crap that I don't want to overload my toyta pickup with.

Ken

post-20966-0-96904400-1354536755_thumb.j

• Like 2

Anyone recognize this brand? This is the style/type i am looking for.

Cheers

Yup. I've seen it.

Funny stuff Canadawink.png . I learned you have got your 52-card deck in alphabetic order and i respect that.

Give me some slack, please. I am a newbie..

Edited by Dancealot

I'm getting an E-Tan built for me, there are 3 shops that all make a similar style in a little village about 4 kms from where I live. It'll look just like in the photo only more shine.

Cost is 44,000 baht for the truck frame and construction, welding the frame up, mounting the transmission, building the fenders, bumpers etc. I picked a Mitsu L200 frame from his collection. Wooden box is another 10,000 baht which I think is extremely cheap for the quality. Wood is all at least 1 inch thick, sanded, stained, nice fittings.

I have to supply the power, A 12hp Kubota is what I have figured on for 47,000 baht. Bringing the total to 100K.

I can take it back anytime should I want a roof type cab put on it. He also said 1 year warranty.

It'll be great for hauling all the fertilizer and crap that I don't want to overload my toyta pickup with.

Ken

You wont need warranty on this one. The warranty is that you will own this vehicle and it will serve you guaranteed!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Could you possibly post some pictures of the front end of the gearbox.

Im interested to see how the belt drive & clutch are mated.

I've been toying with the idea of building something like this myself.

Thanks

Here you go PL. Just financed this one, it cost around B60,000 "new" excluding the engine. It has lights, indicators and electric start. Power to the clutch is transmitted by three V belts, another belt runs to the alternator.

attachicon.gifIMG_3021.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3020.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3018.jpg

Hi DD, Where have you bought your Etan in Nong Bua Lamphu Province?

Edited by glorfindel

Here in Udon/Nong Khai area, a decent one from a shop that builds them are around 90-110k. That's why i snapped a s/h one up for 55k! This came with a 14hp as new Kubota engine in, (150 hours on the hour meter - yep the 14hp ones have an integral hour meter as well as electric start), worth nearly the price on it's own. It's a mish mash of Nissan and Toyota, Toyota chassis and gearbox, everything else Nissan.160 kms to get home. Realised it needed some money throwing at it after i rebuilt the clutch master and slave cylinders twice, all the tyres were shot. I've had 3 punctures in about 6 months, every time replacing not only the inner tube, but also buying a decent s/h tire same time for around 700 baht. Took it to my favourite mechanic, and said check EVERYTHING, will need a new clutch, maybe brakes. He replaced everything with the word clutch in it (6k), new front brake discs and pads, 4 sets of wheel brgs, greased everything that had a grease nipple, changed the gearbox oil, and gave it the thumbs up, total cost 12k inc labour. Great truck now, total cost about 70k, drive it myself too and i'm 6'3", after i chopped the roof and added 4", great for Thai street cred. This has a number plate, but again fallen off another vehicle - never been registered, never will be. Cops love it with me driving - no probs. Gearbox jumps out of 4th, so you have to keep your hand on the lever to keep it engaged, no probs. Turned down many offers of 100k for it. Very useful truck.

• Like 1

Here in Udon/Nong Khai area, a decent one from a shop that builds them are around 90-110k. That's why i snapped a s/h one up for 55k! This came with a 14hp as new Kubota engine in, (150 hours on the hour meter - yep the 14hp ones have an integral hour meter as well as electric start), worth nearly the price on it's own. It's a mish mash of Nissan and Toyota, Toyota chassis and gearbox, everything else Nissan.160 kms to get home. Realised it needed some money throwing at it after i rebuilt the clutch master and slave cylinders twice, all the tyres were shot. I've had 3 punctures in about 6 months, every time replacing not only the inner tube, but also buying a decent s/h tire same time for around 700 baht. Took it to my favourite mechanic, and said check EVERYTHING, will need a new clutch, maybe brakes. He replaced everything with the word clutch in it (6k), new front brake discs and pads, 4 sets of wheel brgs, greased everything that had a grease nipple, changed the gearbox oil, and gave it the thumbs up, total cost 12k inc labour. Great truck now, total cost about 70k, drive it myself too and i'm 6'3", after i chopped the roof and added 4", great for Thai street cred. This has a number plate, but again fallen off another vehicle - never been registered, never will be. Cops love it with me driving - no probs. Gearbox jumps out of 4th, so you have to keep your hand on the lever to keep it engaged, no probs. Turned down many offers of 100k for it. Very useful truck.

Are the 90-110k recent prices?

Can you specify where in Udon/Nong Khai area the Etans are build (village name)?

Cheers

Can you specify where in Udon/Nong Khai area the Etans are build (village name)?

Cheers

brother inlaws has one of these machines, very strong indeed, seen it loaded with tons of sugar ect.. he runs its with a kabuta 140 engine that he has converted to run on gas (lpg), you can hear him coming from miles away. he says its very cheap too run. it owes him around the 100,000 mark.

ask around at your local shop ,i m sure someones knows somone who makes these.

Cheers

Yeah, current prices, depends on the motor. You just gotta look and ask around. Every province in Isaan will have a shop which builds, modifies and sells them. My mechanic friend reckons they are a better bet as a workhorse than a std old jap pick up for 150k.

Just bought a brand new one with just the chassis and 14 horse Kubota engine with extra low gear option all up cost me 195000 Bt nd now I'm just doing the wood work for the cabin and rear with swing down doors which should cost all up around 20000 Bt . This was built at the local etan outdoor manufacturing place and you can choose different options from 6 wheel , stronger diff etc

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Just bought a brand new one with just the chassis and 14 horse Kubota engine with extra low gear option all up cost me 195000 Bt nd now I'm just doing the wood work for the cabin and rear with swing down doors which should cost all up around 20000 Bt . This was built at the local etan outdoor manufacturing place and you can choose different options from 6 wheel , stronger diff etc

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I reckon, that's a thread all by itself.

Document with photos from the raw chassis through to the finished product.

• 5 months later...