How Early Can I Renew My Retirement Visa?

I will be in the USA and will arrive back in Thailand the day my retirement Visa expires. No time that day to go to immigration. How early can I renew my retirement visa in Chiang Mai? What happens if I am a day late?

Help, please.

Although my experience is ONLY at Chaengwattana in Bangkok;

IF you can prove you're gonna be outta the country when your retirement extension of stay will come due, like with a booked itinerary etc, they'll renew it quite early (in fact WAY earlier than the 30 days for normal early renewals). I think the earliest an 'acquaintance' I accompanied there did it was about 4+ months early.

I'd go to Chiang Mai Immigrations with your travel documents and try it. I mean you’re returning on the day your extension expires. Even Chiang Mai Immigrations might see that it’s not entirely feasible to wing it on into the country then trudge to Immigrations to renew your extension of stay.

You're out nothing but time tryin' anyway.

In un-related other news; (a day or five late ain’t always the same everywhere)

A friend from American just returned to Thailand after a 3 month holiday outside the country. His extension of stay had expired 5 days before he returned here. He was stamped in on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, but went to Jomtien Immigrations, paid the 5 day 'overstay' on his 'old' retirement extension and with the correct documentation he said they issued him a year's extension of stay! While I didn't see his passport, I've no reason to doubt him either.

Go figure! Different places, different people, different interpretation of the rules!

Although my experience is ONLY at Chaengwattana in Bangkok;

IF you can prove you're gonna be outta the country when your retirement extension of stay will come due, like with a booked itinerary etc, they'll renew it quite early (in fact WAY earlier than the 30 days for normal early renewals). I think the earliest an 'acquaintance' I accompanied there did it was about 4+ months early.

I'd go to Chiang Mai Immigrations with your travel documents and try it. I mean you're returning on the day your extension expires. Even Chiang Mai Immigrations might see that it's not entirely feasible to wing it on into the country then trudge to Immigrations to renew your extension of stay.

You're out nothing but time tryin' anyway.

In un-related other news; (a day or five late ain't always the same everywhere)

A friend from American just returned to Thailand after a 3 month holiday outside the country. His extension of stay had expired 5 days before he returned here. He was stamped in on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, but went to Jomtien Immigrations, paid the 5 day 'overstay' on his 'old' retirement extension and with the correct documentation he said they issued him a year's extension of stay! While I didn't see his passport, I've no reason to doubt him either.

Go figure! Different places, different people, different interpretation of the rules!

Or just one of those mean old Thai immigration officers being a nice guy or lady

• 5 months later...

What if one thought it was quite possible that one might be trapped on the second floor of their house by flooding for the entire 30 days preceding

the expiration date of retirement extension. If one were able to run down to Chaengwattana tomorrow, would immigration be likely to do an extension 36 days or

so before expiration?

The answer has to be no as tomorrow is a holiday. After tomorrow would be up to office but I would not count on it but nothing lost in trying if you wish. I doubt and hope you are not trapped on second floor for a month.

The answer has to be no as tomorrow is a holiday. After tomorrow would be up to office but I would not count on it but nothing lost in trying if you wish. I doubt and hope you are not trapped on second floor for a month.

Thanks for the answer. I'll just wait it out and see what happens. There should be enough stuff floating around to tie a raft together if necessary.

There is no such thing as renew a visa - you obtain a new visa or you extend your stay (again and again). For extension of stay that is only available from Immigration inside Thailand.

Right.

Checking my passport I see now that what I thought was a visa is actually a 12 month extension of stay labelled RETIREMENT,

presumably based on the now USED stamped 3 month non imm O visa.

(btw, the latter was issued in BKK (not outside Thailand) and it is very clearly marked VISA)

(the stamp says clearly NON-IMMIGRANT VISA and is marked Category "O")

Anyway, my non imm O and the extension was based on the 800 000 in the bank method.

Should it be straight forward to renew/obtain a new 12 month visa at an Embassy?

Including the multiple re-entry permit?

(The month before my extension of stay expires is not a very conveniant period for me to be in Thailand.)

Edited by melvinmelvin

There is no such thing as renew a visa - you obtain a new visa or you extend your stay (again and again). For extension of stay that is only available from Immigration inside Thailand.

Right.

Checking my passport I see now that what I thought was a visa is actually a 12 month extension of stay labelled RETIREMENT,

presumably based on the now USED stamped 3 month non imm O visa.

(btw, the latter was issued in BKK (not outside Thailand) and it is very clearly marked VISA)

Anyway, my non imm O and the extension was based on the 800 000 in the bank method.

Should it be straight forward to renew/obtain a new 12 month visa at an Embassy?

(The month before my extension of stay expires is not a very conveniant period for me to be in Thailand.)

You can extend your visa for 12 months based on retirement at the Immigration office in the province where you live. There are no Thai Embassies in Thailand. Don't know about the process for securing a "renewed" retirement visa from an Embassy if you're outside Thailand. We came here 3 years ago for retirement and have never left the country.

Outside of Thailand you can only obtain a new visa and then a 1 year extension.

I suggest you talk with immirgation and see if they are willing to give you an extension earlier, often they are willing to do that if there is a good reason for it (such as travelling abroad).

That was issued by Immigration in the process for one year extension of stay and required show of financial means and a 2,000 baht fee be paid. Only when you qualify for extension of stay is such a visa issued inside Thailand (as the first step in extension process).